Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wherein I would adopt those two immediately but Apollo loves, loves loves loves chasing small furry things that move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
full figured kitty would be a good username

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/JShahryar/status/968195310211051520

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Doing some paperwork, butterscotch is helping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GouncyUKKvU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You need an onscreen counter to tally all the times you wound up with his tail wrapped around your face.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Lol! You're so serious but the power of Butterlove kept you distracted.

You, sir, are a good man!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Chili posted:

He loves you so much :kimchi:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Emma and Luna status, not amused with pictures.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Chili posted:

Does your other cat get jealous?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

On my twitter feed the other day:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Butterscotch is thrilled.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alrighty folks, I need help. This is probably more a "general cat" question but we're all family here and this is a problem that I know a lof rescues/new home kitties deal with.

Monty, my cat whom I've had for about 5 years now is having litterbox issues. He's always been particular, the cat does like his litterbox clean, but now the problem has gotten worse.

We live in a split level home, the top floor is where the cats eat, and the bottom is where they take care of their business. He never goes on the top floor, so that's not an issue.

The problem is: he treats the entire basement like it's one giant litter box. I have set up 3 boxes down there operating under the standard number of cats + 1 formula. I do my best to keep on to of things, and sure I'll miss a day here or there, but that's not what I'm concerned about.

A week ago, I was downstairs changing them, there were 2 clean boxes available and he walked right over to the corner of the basement and let loose on the wall and carpet.

Two of them are those covered sorts and one is an open box that's sized down so that Butterscotch might not choose it and it could be all Monty's. I went down in the basement and I catching in another corner, pissing on the walls.

I'm just about at my wit's end. We have a baby on the way and before long my house is going to be grand central station. People are going to be over here constantly and I can't have my house smelling of cat piss. I can't deal with his litterbox issues anymore and I'm out of ideas. I'm worried part of this is because he and Butterscotch have a... complicated relationship and so maybe he's just constantly feeling like he has to assert himself? I don't know. He's otherwise a very sweet and chill cat but this problem is getting more and more out of hand.

I know this is likely marking behavior as he typically craps OK. So that makes this more specific but also challenging.

I can't imagine there's anything new to hear, lord knows I've just about googled this to death, and maybe this is just pointless venting but y'all have surprised me with help before and so I reach out to you goons now...

What in the world do I do?

Chili fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 11, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Since about October, I have been dealing with a younger cat who has some mental issues and would piss in various corners of the house to assert his dominance over an imaginary home invader but loves the other cat who actually lives in our house with him. At one point, he was so stressed that he was pissing blood and blocking his urethra which led to a hospitalization.

It started with "hey maybe I'll piss behind the TV today," which was temporarily fixed with more litter boxes, and then it just spiralled.

We went through a ton of vet visits - spent a ludicrous amount of money - to give him basically a clean bill of health. After a few different drug trials ranging from periodic injections (blinding rage) to opiate painkillers (stared at walls and drooled in a near coma), we figured out it wasn't a mechanical problem.

Ended up putting him on expensive antipsychotics, which didn't help (2-3 months to see any effect, according to the spec) and had some weird side effects.

Doc put him on Cerenia, which is putatively an anti-nausea drug but also works as a very mild antipsychotic (according to the weird vet forum our vet posts on), and then I started rewarding him for using the litter box by giving him treats. Some combination of doing those two things worked. We also tried Feliway at the same time, but the dispensers have since run dry and if anything his behaviour has improved.

Every cat is different, but we had one hell of a run with this one. I thought it was deliberate/for attention until once we saw him freak the gently caress out about seeing the neighbour's cat on the deck and start pissing on the door in retaliation. We never went to a behaviorist since the one in our city was booked solid for months in advance.

I've been cleaning the house ever since and it is unbelievably hard. Every so often I catch a whiff of a corner where he left me a surprise months earlier and I am trying not to convince myself that everyone who visits the house is thinking that I am a complete burnout who can't manage life.

Two things that helped: the big bottles of Nature's Miracle fit a squirt nozzle top, and you can get a cheap UV LED flashlight off Amazon that makes piss light up like you're Gil loving Grissom.

You have my sympathy for sure. If you just want someone to complain to, feel free to send a PM.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 28, 2018

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Since about October, I have been dealing with a younger cat who has some mental issues and would piss in various corners of the house to assert his dominance over an imaginary home invader but loves the other cat who actually lives in our house with him. At one point, he was so stressed that he was pissing blood and blocking his urethra which led to a hospitalization.

It started with "hey maybe I'll piss behind the TV today," which was temporarily fixed with more litter boxes, and then it just spiralled.

We went through a ton of vet visits - spent a ludicrous amount of money - to give him basically a clean bill of health. After a few different drug trials ranging from periodic injections (blinding rage) to opiate painkillers (stared at walls and drooled in a near coma), we figured out it wasn't a mechanical problem.

Ended up putting him on expensive antipsychotics, which didn't help (2-3 months to see any effect, according to the spec) and had some weird side effects.

Doc put him on Cerenia, which is putatively an anti-nausea drug but also works as a very mild antipsychotic (according to the weird vet forum our vet posts on), and then I started rewarding him for using the litter box by giving him treats. Some combination of doing those two things worked. We also tried Feliway at the same time, but the dispensers have since run dry and if anything his behaviour has improved.

Every cat is different, but we had one hell of a run with this one. I thought it was deliberate/for attention until once we saw him freak the gently caress out about seeing the neighbour's cat on the deck and start pissing on the door in retaliation. We never went to a behaviorist since the one in our city was booked solid for months in advance.

I've been cleaning the house ever since and it is unbelievably hard. Every so often I catch a whiff of a corner where he left me a surprise months earlier and I am trying not to convince myself that everyone who visits the house is thinking that I am a complete burnout who can't manage life.

Two things that helped: the big bottles of Nature's Miracle fit a squirt nozzle top, and you can get a cheap UV LED flashlight off Amazon that makes piss light up like you're Gil loving Grissom.

You have my sympathy for sure. If you just want someone to complain to, feel free to send a PM.

Yeah. I feared this was a "treat not cure" situation and I'm worried I'm just not gonna be able to keep up. I do recall a friend suggesting a UV light, it seemed like a good idea at the time but I forgot to procure one. I'll do that now so I don't forget again. I've also just purchased a new gallon sized bottle of a different enzymatic cleaner that claims to help prevent further marking. Who knows. It doesn't help either that Monty just went to the vet and we found out that he needs a tooth extraction that's gonna cost us 700+ dollars. Super hard to sink that much money into something that is actively ruining my home. I really don't want my baby growing up in an aura of cat piss :(

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
To make you feel even worse, even with behavioural treatments it's going to be hard to stop him from doing it again without also totally removing all traces of cat piss that he (not you) can smell.

Honestly, the best way to do this would be to rip up all the carpet and padding in the basement and replace it with new flooring, preferably something non-porous like tile. You might also need to replace the baseboards and even some of the wallboard where the piss soaked into. If he really flooded the spots the subflooring might have urine wicked into it and that will need to be replaced too.

But obviously that would cost a shitload, so you're probably stuck with a long and tedious cleaning regimen.

Use gallons of enyzmatic cleaner, soak the carpet and padding with it, let it sit, then wetvac it out. Do this a few times. Wait for it to dry naturally (could be days) - it needs that time to neutralize it - while moving on to the next spot. Once the treated area is dry, repeat this whole process again, several times.

Do this for every possible spot he's pissed in and the area around those spots where the urine could have wicked - honestly might as well do the whole carpet unless it's really large.

Do your best with the wooden baseboards and walls/vertical surfaces, obviously you can't let it soak in those so clean and treat over and over and over and hope it didn't wick so deep into them the cleaner can't reach it.

And while all this is going on you'll have to keep the cats out of the basement else he'll probably just piss in it again and you'll have to start over.

Maybe he'll calm down when pilled and he'll stop on his own and none of this will be necessary, but I do not loving envy you man. You might do all this bullshit, get him treated with expensive meds, and he'll still keep pissing all over. On the bright side all this cleaning will probably eliminate any catpiss smell that us humans could sense, so at least there's that?

Good luck!

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 28, 2018

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Uhhhh, I mean I appreciate what you're saying, but there's also no guarantee that it would work. I'm pretty sure if we redid the entire basement (it is quite large) and I caught him doing this again...

I think doing a pass with the UV lighting will help. We're also having the whole basement professionally carpet cleaned on Friday. So maybe before the dude comes out to do that I'll get as much of the cleaner in the carpet as possible.

extra bird parts
Apr 30, 2012

creepy blue bird with an upset expression crashing into a fire truck and causing an explosion in the style of vaporwave aesthetics
I’ve been working on integrating an anxious, territorial lady cat with my other lady cats. I currently have her on a stress reducing supplement called Zylkene that I was skeptical of but is working pretty well for her. It is also used to improve spraying and marking behaviors so maybe something like that is worth a try for Monty. The literature about Zylkene seems to be mostly behind a paywall, but as far as I can tell there seem to be few side effects and it works in about half of cats. In my cat’s case, she’s gone from being completely obsessed with hunting the other cats to mildly curious. It’s been much easier to train her and engage her in play since she started the supplement. Maybe it is also worth a try to change location of some of the boxes? Good luck, Chili and Monty!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I think what you're proposing is completely prudent and reasonable. Paws crossed that Monty snaps out of it (give him lots of pets for me please).

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Can Monty be an indoor/outdoor cat?

Seems like some cats never conform to strictly indoor life.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Joburg posted:

Can Monty be an indoor/outdoor cat?

Seems like some cats never conform to strictly indoor life.

He won't go outside. He had a period with his previous owner where he went missing for two years, and then just showed up again, cos... y'know... cats.

Ever since then though he likes to walk around the house and eat grass so he can come back inside and vomit, but as soon as the door closes he'll scratch and mowl until you let him back in. Butterscotch is pretty much the same way. At least I don't have to worry about them running away!

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
The other thing you could try (although it might just shift the problem) is putting down textures he won’t like to stand on in the corners or replacing textures he really likes.

We’ve had to shift entirely to blankets and sheets rather than duvets because one of our cats LOVED the soft diggy texture of duvets for pissing. Much nicer than pointy gravel.

We also managed to prevent one of them pooping in the quiet space behind the TV by putting down carpet grip matting upside down. http://r.ebay.com/DxnSWs

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

So many behavioral medications are super expensive or require a prescription. Have you tried CBD (cannabidoid) treats/oil/pills - medical marijuana for pets? It made a HUGE difference with my cat's car terror (used to pee, poop, drool, cry and shake) and now he's just mildly freaked out, after seriously 1 single dose over a year ago. Not insanely expensive, chance of bad reaction minimal. I sell them at the store I work at and CBD has quickly eclipsed all other anxiety treatments. Great reviews from customers. I've never sold it explicitly for cat urine issues but as it seems Monty is healthy and this is a behavioral thing, I would absolutely recommend it for you.

This is the brand we sell:
https://www.treatibles.com/

It's not crazy cheap but remember that Monty wouldn't need a ton of it, so the mileage you get out of it is impressive. Also would be great for anxious fosters. Hell, I had a coworker give the pills to her dad after a skiing accident and he stopped taking opioids weeks ahead of schedule. Lots of potential uses!

Let me know if you have questions. Good luck with your little dude!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hey rescue thread, we've got a goon over in the cat thread who found some abandoned kittens. The saga started last night with placenta tangled kittens in their backyard. They're untangled (one didn't make it) and have been to the vet and back and are doing ok now though the mom might not be taking them back.

First post about it is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030&pagenumber=653#post482699278 and if you have anything to add or words of encouragement please chime in.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

If you currently don't have enough kitties in your life, Tiny Kittens is currently livestreaming three feral pregnant mamas that have been brought in and are all due to give birth in the next week or two. All the kittens will be fixed before adoption, and the moms as well before they're either adopted (if they can be successfully socialized) or returned to their colony. They do a lot of good work with TNR and adoptions, so I thought I'd share.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Tiny Kittens is my favorite stop on feel-sad days.

porkswordonboard posted:

Hell, I had a coworker give the pills to her dad after a skiing accident and he stopped taking opioids weeks ahead of schedule.

"Hey Dad, you wanna try some :catdrugs:?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

taiyoko posted:

If you currently don't have enough kitties in your life, Tiny Kittens is currently livestreaming three feral pregnant mamas that have been brought in and are all due to give birth in the next week or two. All the kittens will be fixed before adoption, and the moms as well before they're either adopted (if they can be successfully socialized) or returned to their colony. They do a lot of good work with TNR and adoptions, so I thought I'd share.

They’re wonderful. I love Grandpa Mason and his signature look of horrified shock when he discovers that one of his humans was the one petting him.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey foster people.

Sorry I've been neglecting this thread. katdicks being pregnant has demanded a lot of my attention.

I do plan to get back into posting more Bscotch in all of his glory.

For now, he's in the best cat contest over in GBS, go cheer him on!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851374&pagenumber=13#post483189091

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
So what's Butters been up to?

Going into places he shouldn't be able to go into:

Smooshing

And being content as gently caress

All pics courtesy of katdicks.

Also, his health is still looking pretty great. Vet was very pleased with his current weight. He's likely done losing at this point!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh my god that's a tiny happy cat :kimchi:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

A+ work Butters.
gently caress I love that cat.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

We're fostering the weirdest-looking kitten from the local SPCA.

Unlike my other two cats, she has two modes, bouncing off the walls and passed out asleep.

Pixel and Freddie don't quite know what to make of her yet. Fred is super-curious but wary of the new kitten's in-your-face approach.

Any ideas?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Well first, I hope you're more emotionally fit than I am to say goodbye to a dog when it's their time to move on.

As for the rest... just feel it out. We've had dogs around our cats before and it's just a matter of highly supervising those first few interactions. So long as you're not seeing a whole of aggression, you may be A-OK.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

She's probably going to be a foster failure. She came to us with GI issues and a chest cold and was just so pitiful. Now she's fat and bouncy. :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

queserasera posted:

She's probably going to be a foster failure. She came to us with GI issues and a chest cold and was just so pitiful. Now she's fat and bouncy. :3:

your kitten is adorable.

best way to raise a :ssh: puppo around cats is when they are young and learn not to mess with the cats.

my vote will always be failure in financially responsible cases.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Two more days till we sign the paperwork and she's ours. We're not allowed to feed her anything other than what the SPCA gave us. We've got nice food, sweet potato treats, all that lined up for her. Whatever's in the food they gave us is making her try and eat her poop, or at least I think so.

Gotta admit, I'm not impressed by the locality-funded shelters around here. We can't even take her to our own vet--we have to make a 90-minute round trip to the shelter because that's the only vet she can go to. And Fred came to us with ear mites. I'm glad we have them because I don't want to think about either animal being with a bad foster home.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

queserasera posted:

Two more days till we sign the paperwork and she's ours. We're not allowed to feed her anything other than what the SPCA gave us. We've got nice food, sweet potato treats, all that lined up for her. Whatever's in the food they gave us is making her try and eat her poop, or at least I think so.

Gotta admit, I'm not impressed by the locality-funded shelters around here. We can't even take her to our own vet--we have to make a 90-minute round trip to the shelter because that's the only vet she can go to. And Fred came to us with ear mites. I'm glad we have them because I don't want to think about either animal being with a bad foster home.

shelters have shoestring budgets and usually have way too many animals to care for properly. Just make sure to properly supervise all interaction for a good long while. dogs are a ton more work and interactive than cats

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Chili posted:

Alrighty folks, I need help. This is probably more a "general cat" question but we're all family here and this is a problem that I know a lof rescues/new home kitties deal with.

Monty, my cat whom I've had for about 5 years now has always had litterbox issues. Back when I first got him he was just super picky about going if the litterbox wasn't immensely fresh, but we've gotten to a whole new level of problem with him.

We live in a split level home, the top floor is where the cats eat, and the bottom is where they take care of their business. He never goes on the top floor, so that's not an issue.

The problem is: he treats the entire basement like it's one giant litter box. I have set up 3 boxes down there operating under the standard number of cats + 1 formula. I do my best to keep on to of things, and sure I'll miss a day here or there, but that's not what I'm concerned about.

A week ago, I was downstairs changing them, there were 2 clean boxes available and he walked right over to the corner of the basement and let loose on the wall and carpet.

And just now I changed out ALL of the boxes for fresh ones. Brand new boxes, and brand new litter. And beyond that, they're all different! Two of them are those covered sorts and one is an open box that's sized down so that Butterscotch might not choose it and it could be all Monty's. I went down in the basement and I catching in another corner, pissing on the walls.

I'm just about at my wit's end. We have a baby on the way and before long my house is going to be grand central station. People are going to be over here constantly and I can't have my house smelling of cat piss. I can't deal with his litterbox issues anymore and I'm out of ideas. I'm worried part of this is because he and Butterscotch have a... complicated relationship and so maybe he's just constantly feeling like he has to assert himself? I don't know. He's otherwise a very sweet and chill cat but this problem is getting more and more out of hand.

I know this is likely marking behavior as he typically craps OK. So that makes this more specific but also challenging.

I can't imagine there's anything new to hear, lord knows I've just about googled this to death, and maybe this is just pointless venting but y'all have surprised me with help before and so I reach out to you goons now...

What in the world do I do?

edit; oh and I've taken him to the vet... they basically shrugged their shoulders and offered to put me in touch with "cat behaviorist" who I'm guessing is going to be a total crackpot that charges me a bunch of money and gives me nothing to help the problem.

Did things ever get better with Monty?

Josephine (our foster) also has litterbox issues, and they do seem to be at least partly related to anxiety. But one thing they mentioned to us at the foster HQ is that she "likes a clean litterbox". They actually gave us two litterboxes to give her more options, and we clean them daily. Pretty much the only times she's pooped or peed outside the litterbox have been when we left it more than a day. (And she's been much better now that we're more on top of it.)

Speaking of Josephine...

Just a girl and her snek.

Neüterhead are a local charity that put on metal shows to raise money for spaying and neutering cats and dogs. I got home from the show, put the shirt down, and had it instantly occupied.

Favourite chilling on the rug pose.

Adoption profile pic.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

OK a few more...

She really loves that snek.

Laundry 1

Laundry 2

She's like this with every box.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Meet Mama Sarah and her minifloofs! Here they are about two days old:

My goal this year was to learn to bottle feed orphaned kittens. I did learn, but instead of one or two bottle babies, I ended up with a momcat and her litter of five kittens! One kitten, The Hon. Floof Bader Ginsburg (D-Calico), was immediately rushed to an expert in tube feeding since she was so tiny, not nursing and Sarah kicked her out of the nesting box immediately. She hung on over a week, but ultimately her digestive system was not developed enough to provide for her growing body and she didn't make it. :(

Her brothers and sisters are doing great, though! Meet (left to right) Emma, Esq. (attorney at law, "My Attorney" for short,) Major Tom Catte, Space Explorer, Dexter Sterling, MD and Staff Sergeant Steve Sassypants.

Some of you might know SSG Sassypants from the Orange cats thread. He is quite a ham, and easily the largest kitten in the litter.

at six days, being a tiny cotton ball:

Showing off his sploot:

and just being an adorable handful:

Emma, not to be outdone, would like to record to show that she also has excellent splooting technique:

There will be more pictures as the kittens become a little more interactive and show their personalities.

SSG Steve wants you to know that he and his littermates will be ready for their new postings as housecats around the 4th of July. We are based in Fayetteville, NC and the adoption fee is $125 which includes spay/neuter, microchip and first round of shots. Sarah herself is already tentatively spoken for once she weans the kittens in three weeks or so.

e: one more.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh my gooooosh I wish I lived in NC and that my dog were better with cats