Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Barao is the evolved form of Tibau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
of course its an overstatement to say hed be poo poo but I was comparing him to tim sylvia and poo poo came to mind

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I would say Barão was never that bad but his post bathtub career hasn’t proven otherwise. He’s a hardheaded dude who hits hard and is good on the counter and impossible to take down, which is probably good for top 15 at 145

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is a spectrum. Every dude around UFC level is going to have some type of athletic and skill advantage over average people. But McKenzie compared to the top 25 of whichever division he is giving blood for this time is at an extreme athletic disadvantage. Prime example is Mendes blasting a hole through his guts.

Cody McKenzie: Marc Stevens is probably better than me too. Probably has better cardio. Probably hits harder. Better scrambles, better overhand right, better wrestling, better stall tactics.
Nam Phan: OK, so all that said, what do you bring to the table?
Cody McKenzie: I'm gonna win.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You can’t post that without the companion video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M80HqjHvV0

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can’t post that without the companion video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M80HqjHvV0

On the short list for the best in-cage TUF moment.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I am sad that Nam Phan was pretty crappy. He is a cool dude.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I would say Barão was never that bad but his post bathtub career hasn’t proven otherwise. He’s a hardheaded dude who hits hard and is good on the counter and impossible to take down, which is probably good for top 15 at 145

Barao was always really good at range with a jab, leg kicks and excellent take down defense. When someone could slip and get inside he'd get really wild - wouldnt roll his shoulders or reset his hands etc. Tj exploited the gently caress out of that.

His downfall was kind of two fold in that he was struggling to stay at 135 and the cut was becoming dangerous and his chin started to go around the same time.

He has good outside skills but when they would fail him in those few instances at the mid point of his career he could bite down and trade and come out ahead. When he lost the latter ability he started his backslide really quickly. Having said that his losses came against dillashaw, Stephens and sterling which is a pretty good group.

The sterling one was a bit weird but he got the poo poo kicked out of him in the 2nd after sterling bumrushed him with punches, clipped him and landed a takedown.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I don't think I've ever seen someone use a cross guard with their lead hand above their rear hand before like Romero and I wonder if anyone here has and knows why he does that

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

vainman posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone use a cross guard with their lead hand above their rear hand before like Romero and I wonder if anyone here has and knows why he does that

My guess is that it starts with his relatively narrow stance and lack of upper body movement on defense. Romero is committing to blocking the cross at the expense of missing some jabs. It's crazy to see him use strength to stop a full power cross by meeting it with his forearm. When Rockhold tripled up the jab, it slipped under the quadrant covered by Romero's right forearm.

Romero's not great at answering back right away, so he doesn't suffer the drawback of using the lead arm to block and having it out of timing for an answer. Similarly, he's not taking care to set up any immediate counter crosses or uppercuts, so the low rear arm across the body isn't a detriment.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Probably a better place for this question, but I want to ditch cable but I still use it to watch fight night on fox sports 1. Does anybody use the fox sports app to watch fight night? Can you watch it live? Do you still need a Cable provider to use the app like HBO go?

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 23, 2018

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I tried the fox sports app. When it functions as advertised, yes you can watch live events so long as a friend who subscribes to a participating cable package with fs1 is willing to let you mooch their info, but it was an extremely lovely and unreliable app to the point of being unusable the majority of the time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The UFC should really just make most non main card PPV fights free, and live.

The free facebook fights back in the day were a nice addition. Since the number of events went up my viewership has gone down. If I could watch poo poo free then at least I'd know when the next PPV was: right now I don't get any UFC advertising and honestly it kinda sucks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Count Roland posted:

The UFC should really just make most non main card PPV fights free, and live.

The free facebook fights back in the day were a nice addition. Since the number of events went up my viewership has gone down. If I could watch poo poo free then at least I'd know when the next PPV was: right now I don't get any UFC advertising and honestly it kinda sucks.

That would go against the hundreds of millions of dollars they are going to get on their TV contract. Barely anyone watched the facebook fights, more people watch them on Fight Pass which is a pay service.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Adalaide Byrd: bought-and-paid-for, or just a tenured idiot?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i like to think that when an organization allows someone to obtain a literally unassailable position it induces a certain type of resentment and loathing because you cannot respect the fact that you cannot be fired. so out of morbid curiosity you keep pushing. and pushing. and pushing. but the more you get away with, the larger your loathing grows, until you are eventually given a few weeks paid holiday for turning in one of the most egregious cards in boxing history.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Memento posted:

Adalaide Byrd: bought-and-paid-for, or just a tenured idiot?

in mma, just an example of the incestuous nepotism, incompetence, and consistent wilful inaction of the nsac. in boxing, 100% on the take.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You could see her cageside on about half the fights this last weekend and she at least looked like she was paying attention.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Has she been confirmed for the Canelo GGG rematch?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Speaking of attributes, what’s the deal with heavyweights like Fedor who seemed to move impossibly fast for their size? Do you think that’s a trainable attribute or can it only be granted by the direct blessing of Zeus?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fedor doesn’t move impossibly fast and never has.

Brock lesnar moves impossibly fast for a man that size. The reason is steroids.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There's a wide spread of speed in MMA because there's so many ways to victory other than being faster than your opponent. I'm sure lots of people could be faster if they trained much more for it.
On the other hand, there's undeniably a genetic factor to speed. None of the twigs who run 10ks and marathons in the Olympics will ever line up in a 100m heat, no matter how hard they train sprints.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Speaking of attributes, what’s the deal with heavyweights like Fedor who seemed to move impossibly fast for their size? Do you think that’s a trainable attribute or can it only be granted by the direct blessing of Zeus?

Fedor was relatively fast for a HW because he wasn't that big. Guys of that weight are usually quicker than the guys who cut to 265 (like Lesnar).

I can't think of many HWs known for their speed. Arlovski maybe? Randleman would fight at HW in pride and he was crazy fast, also due to steroids of course.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Fedor was a master of distance. He knew exactly when to jump in and throw his haymakers until someone died.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fedor was a master of fighting cans in b league orgs and got destroyed the moment he started facing real heavyweights. This is a man that struggled to handle Brett the Tire Salesman Rogers.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fedor was a master of fighting cans in b league orgs and got destroyed the moment he started facing real heavyweights. This is a man that struggled to handle Brett the Tire Salesman Rogers.

he was without a doubt the best hw in the world from 2002-2006 and probably could have had a good ufc run after that if not for his absurd contract demands. he had some bad habits and holes in his game even at his peak but it’s silly to act like he was always bad just because he was insanely overhyped while fighting mutants and tire salesmen for a few years. He was absolutely as good or better than guys like Mir or Couture.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
fedor was too cowardly to fight josh barnett like 35 different times

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LobsterMobster posted:

fedor was too cowardly to fight josh barnett like 35 different times

he agreed once, then Barnett failed a piss test and he ducked Vitor instead.

I’m not saying Fedor didn’t piss away most of his legacy ducking everybody, just saying he wasn’t Always Bad. He was actually like Barão in a lot of ways. Extremely good at what he was good at, well-rounded, and able to avoid things he was bad at because of his exceptional physical attributes (also steroids, he was physically a completely different guy before and after his US run) But his attributes declined just a bit (also drug testing) and he got figured out and all of a sudden he went from being all time great to Always Bad

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I would literally take prime Fedor in a bet over just about any other heavyweight in their prime. His ability to win fights was insane.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
fedor was really good, his fights against nogueira showed his character well

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

it is a trainable attribute, put simply its the result of a lot of high intensity intervals, which are basically short explosive efforts done rapidly at an intensity that cant be maintained for more than a specific amount of time, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, even 45 etc. anyone can develop above average speed if they specifically focus on it, but if your work as an athlete doesnt require it either due to your style or your discipline within the sport you compete in then it doesnt make sense to devote a full program of training to it. fedor no doubt spent a lot of time on it since it suited him to do that

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

it is a trainable attribute, put simply its the result of a lot of high intensity intervals, which are basically short explosive efforts done rapidly at an intensity that cant be maintained for more than a specific amount of time, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, even 45 etc. anyone can develop above average speed if they specifically focus on it, but if your work as an athlete doesnt require it either due to your style or your discipline within the sport you compete in then it doesnt make sense to devote a full program of training to it. fedor no doubt spent a lot of time on it since it suited him to do that

Yeah, one of Fedor's coaches specifically trained to have explosive bursts for 10 or 30 seconds out of every minute (I forget which) and it served him well for the most part

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I would literally take prime Fedor in a bet over just about any other heavyweight in their prime. His ability to win fights was insane.

I'd take Cain in a heartbeat.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
It helped that Fedor was pretty tough, despite his tendency to bleed as soon as the wind hit him he had good recovery which helped against Crocop and others who were able to hurt him. Because of that he could come back quickly. Crocop was completely thrown out of rhythm after he got taken down. He could also catch them off guard with his bursts like with Rogers, Randleman and Arlovski.

Fedor also knew how to fight cautiously against grapplers (except Werdum lol). The first Nog fight was an outlier for obvious reasons but it can be seen best in their third fight where he mostly nullified Nog's takedowns by sticking to the feet and threatening trips and throws of his own to finish exchanges. Even after the end of his relevance he was smart enough to not let even Jeff Monson get anywhere near him, so he circled around and threw leg kicks from way outside for the entire duration. Monson with his T-Rex arms had no chance of getting into grappling range at that distance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MysteryNad posted:

It helped that Fedor was pretty tough, despite his tendency to bleed as soon as the wind hit him he had good recovery which helped against Crocop and others who were able to hurt him. Because of that he could come back quickly. Crocop was completely thrown out of rhythm after he got taken down. He could also catch them off guard with his bursts like with Rogers, Randleman and Arlovski.

Fedor also knew how to fight cautiously against grapplers (except Werdum lol). The first Nog fight was an outlier for obvious reasons but it can be seen best in their third fight where he mostly nullified Nog's takedowns by sticking to the feet and threatening trips and throws of his own to finish exchanges. Even after the end of his relevance he was smart enough to not let even Jeff Monson get anywhere near him, so he circled around and threw leg kicks from way outside for the entire duration. Monson with his T-Rex arms had no chance of getting into grappling range at that distance.

I'd hope he'd be able to mostly nullify the takedowns of a guy who was in absolutely no condition to be fighting.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Prime Cain v Prime Fedor in the clinch would have been pretty amazing to watch imo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I checked the tea leaves and old hindsight says Cain eats too many shots and prime Fedor was literally impossible to kill.

The thought of that match gives me a chub.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Fedor would have been blown out of the water on pace alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There are so many fights I would have loved to see Fedor in. I guess we’re getting Mir vs Fedor even if it is 15 years late. Couture and Barnett are the top of my wishlist for guys he should have fought but never did.