Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I find it more satisfying doing it from ground-level beneath them;

"What, you think I can't reach you? *BAM*"

So, this one?

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/975573310296633344?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Dr. Fetus posted:

Octo Expansion is not a part of 3.0.0. All we were told was "summer", though the eShop says 7/31. Though that could just be a placeholder date.

I want the expansion sooner rather than later, but I can't imagine marketing can resist releasing Octo Expansion on 8/8/18

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do they ever switch up the music for queuing in a lobby? I can only go ham on the pitch shifter and flanger for so long on one song

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

creationist believer posted:

I want the expansion sooner rather than later, but I can't imagine marketing can resist releasing Octo Expansion on 8/8/18

You know, I'd be perfectly okay with that date :allears:.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do they ever switch up the music for queuing in a lobby? I can only go ham on the pitch shifter and flanger for so long on one song

Just the one song for queuing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They should bring back the mini games from Splatoon 1 to play in the lobby.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

The Splatoon 2 World Championships will be held during E3 week, and there might be a place for you and your fellow squidkids residing in the US/Canada. You just need to compete with all the other teams for the spot in the finals. There'll you'll face off Europe's and Japan's top teams for questionable prestige.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you push one stick all the way up and the other all the way down you pitch shift everything above the filter on the flange and it’s just the percussion left.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Does Turf War have any sort of match making at all, or is it first come first serve?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Serenade posted:

Does Turf War have any sort of match making at all, or is it first come first serve?

It does some matchmaking at least by comparing your secret power level with others, so people who really suck usually play with equally sucky players. So in the end, levels don't matter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It also matches based on weapon selection to keep things relatively sane, so you don't have to play a match with like 7 chargers or something

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Rexroom posted:

It does some matchmaking at least by comparing your secret power level with others, so people who really suck usually play with equally sucky players. So in the end, levels don't matter.

Level matters in the sense that a level 5 won't know the maps or weapons as well as a level 60. The grind to reach level 10 is real.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The face buttons, dpad, and triggers also play samples. I like to try and come up with actually decent sounding arrangements while waiting. It's a lot of fun IMO.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think I'm going to buy this after work today. I never played Splatoon before but I'm excited to join what seems like a cool crew. My main question is: what are the control options? I kind of like playing with the two joycons in either hand. Is that an option here, and if I need to learn gyro controls will I need to do something like buy a Pro crontroller?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think I'm going to buy this after work today. I never played Splatoon before but I'm excited to join what seems like a cool crew. My main question is: what are the control options? I kind of like playing with the two joycons in either hand. Is that an option here, and if I need to learn gyro controls will I need to do something like buy a Pro crontroller?

That’s an option and you can use gyro on the joycons as well. The single player is nice for learning how to use gyro and how to use the many different kinds of weapons and specials.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm pretty sure at least a couple of the goon regulars swear by playing with separated joycons. The Pro Controller is nice but hardly necessary.

My advice is to run through the single-player missions until the motion controls click. Just be warned, it will completely ruin every other console shooter for you forever!

e: beaten like an egg

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
A man can only kill so many Nazis and zombies before he becomes calloused to the violence. Bring on the squiddos!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Also get on the discord channel playing with goons is fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rexroom posted:

The Splatoon 2 World Championships will be held during E3 week, and there might be a place for you and your fellow squidkids residing in the US/Canada. You just need to compete with all the other teams for the spot in the finals. There'll you'll face off Europe's and Japan's top teams for questionable prestige.

Man, I kinda wanna do this, even though I'd get creamed.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Also get on the discord channel playing with goons is fun.
Seconding this, but to the whole thread. Playing with goons or friends is vastly different, vastly better, than just playing with public randos.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How do you manage discord and switch audio at the same time?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

With the Hori squid headset! It comes with a dongle that allows two audio streams to be ran as one. I mean, you may be able to find a better and more cost effective solution, but then you wouldn't look fresh!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I kinda wanna get that tthing because Im a moron and I think it looks cool but I will never, ever use it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

I kinda wanna get that tthing because Im a moron and I think it looks cool but I will never, ever use it.

I have the thing because I am a moron and I've never, ever used it. But it does look cool.

I do want to play with goons, my schedule is just erratic and terrible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daaamn this weekend's Salmon Run loadout is sick! 52 gal, tri slosher, roller and splatling

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I usually play in bed next to my sleeping wife, so its best I dont have voice chat I think

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm all fuckin jacked up about the expansion so I drew a thing

https://twitter.com/saboyland/status/977023136364363776

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

In Training posted:

Daaamn this weekend's Salmon Run loadout is sick! 52 gal, tri slosher, roller and splatling

Shame it's on Marooner's Bay. Yeltch.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I use the ear buds that came with my iPhone and just put them in one ear

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://twitter.com/Clinton_Yeats/status/977044405935730688

This was a lot of tracing of multiple pictures, and also some freehand stuff (that you can totally tell was freehand). I think I've spent more time on these dumb posts than the actual game in the past week.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

jetpackhewy posted:

With the Hori squid headset! It comes with a dongle that allows two audio streams to be ran as one. I mean, you may be able to find a better and more cost effective solution, but then you wouldn't look fresh!

I wrote some words about this

Spellman posted:

I received the dorky headset for Splatoon, and after the weeks of buyer's remorse, it arrived, and it isn't completely useless. It comes with a long cable, which you can hide behind your TV and behind a desk. You can plug any headphones (and probably any 3.5mm jack headset) into the socket

I was on Discord tonight with some goons and was able to mix Splatoon audio with the audio from Discord on a pair of generic earbuds with relatively little clutter (while using the phone as a mic). You could plug any length of extension wire into it too, so you could hypothetically wire it up Dolby 5.1-style across the entire length of a living room to any corner of the room you can hide it

It mixed the audio quite well for calls. You don't have to use the Nintendo app, and you can use it for any application that requires mixing audio. So any game that lets you turn the BGM off can be played with other music or podcasts on your phone, with in-game SFX.

The headphones are tacky and stupid (for an adult), but the actual adapter is pretty nice, and if you're committed, can be set up relatively behind the scenes for voice comm in a way that doesn't poo poo up your living room

The chunkiest setup is actually playing in Handheld mode with the wires draped all over your screen and body. I don't think this is how it's meant to be used. The connectors should be tucked away behind your TV when not in use.

So it's alright. When used right, it does the job. For $32, you could do worse. You can probably use the generic Hori headset the same way.

I'm a big fan of the splitter that comes with the headset. I think it's a relatively cheap option for splitting audio, and despite the graphic we've come to know, I recommend it wholly

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had to figure this out once to play monster hunter 4U on 3ds with a friend who for whatever reason only wanted to use mumble.

I had my headset, which was a single short cord (2ish ft) that connected into a second similar length cord that split into mic/audio. The mic end went into my pc, while the audio cord went into a y splitter I bought off amazon. A standard male-to-male aux cord (like the stuff you use to connect to a car stereo or something) went into the other female socket of the y splitter, and I plugged the remaining male end into my pc.

It's a bit silly, but it worked and gave me adjustable volume from both sources through one pair of headphones to boot. If you already have a headset with a mic, this way is also way cheaper since y splitters are like $6 on Amazon vs however much that headset costs

E: I looked up the hori one mentioned earlier and it's literally just a $30 headset with a standard y splitter, if you have a headset already just buy a y splitter for like 6 bucks and do the above into your pc/phone unless you really want a squid themed headset I guess

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Can someone chuck me an invite link to the Goon discord y'all are talking about?

E: As for both voice and game audio, it's probably not the cheapest solution, but I use an HDMI splitter and an HDMI capture card for streaming, so I got that part covered for free.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Shinmera posted:

Can someone chuck me an invite link to the Goon discord y'all are talking about?

The link is found in the OP, but I'm nice this time.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

The Zinc branded Mini Splatling appears this weekend with Curling Bombs and Ink Storm.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Not a bad kit, but certainly not gonna be the terror it was in the first game, that's for sure.

Certainly can paint a lot though!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/977112240108154880

New Shifty Station gimmick: Grapple hooks! Any bit of your ink touches them, from a main, sub, or special weapon, and you'll get sent flying to the hook and drop down. Not sure how these will interact with stuff like Inkstorm, though.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 23, 2018

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Rexroom posted:

The link is found in the OP, but I'm nice this time.

:doh: That's the one place I didn't think to check. Thanks!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

New Shifty Station gimmick: Grapple hooks! Any bit of your ink touches them, from a main, sub, or special weapon, and you'll get sent flying to the hook and drop down. Not sure how these will interact with stuff like Inkstorm, though.

Oh hell Yeah

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yessss!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Rexroom posted:

The Zinc branded Mini Splatling appears this weekend with Curling Bombs and Ink Storm.

Isn't it spelled Zink? Either way give me that weapon I need it right now.