Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I remember watching cyborg knock evinger retarded with a jab in the first round and then carry her to the third before finishing her easily. I was wondering why but then it was explained to me that sometimes this happens to make a ridiculous mismatch look less like a ridiculous mismatch for the illusion of competitiveness and legitimacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gay Horney posted:

1) tes are you opining that Floyd might have lost a 4 or 6 round fight against Conor?
2)What do you mean Floyd "had to" not throw any punches the first few rounds so he could win late?
3)Do you think Conor would have tired before he did if he were dodging shots from Floyd for the first three rounds?
4)do you think that by Floyd essentially letting him take 3 rounds off his longevity in the fight was improved or hampered?

1) nah, i don't think conor is likely to ever beat floyd in any boxing rules match. just saying if it was a 4 round fight, like any other 0-0 boxer would have had, then floyd would be fighting a guy who still had power and some gas, as opposed to walking down a corpse in the later rounds (that no other 0-0 boxer has been in). conor definitely lost, no doubt about it. i just think it's cool and good that he made it as long as he did against a guy like floyd. this is like if james toney got choked out in the 4th against couture instead of the first 30 seconds.

2)floyd strategy was to defend until conor gassed. if he had tried to come out swinging he put himself at way more risk than if he simply waited until conor blew his load and no longer had a punchers chance.

3) yeah. but also floyd would be risking a counter. when floyd finally poured it on there was pretty obviously not much risk of conor countering since he could barely stand.

4) impossible to say. maybe conor gasses quicker with a reckless pressuring floyd. or maybe floyd catches a hot one and goes out?

rewatch the first fight and tell me conor doesn't have legitimate great boxing skill. sure canelo, ggg would smoke him in a round or two, but for an MMA guy he has insanely good loving hands. maybe the best.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

He did that in round 3, and by the later rounds was barely upright.

Before he gassed, he was landing about one punch in 4 or 5. And was doing nothing with them.

Actually look good. Instead of having to go to compubox to prove that he looked good.

Not gas out in round 3

Not have one of the most risk averse boxers walking him down throwing haymakers because he was in no way scared of him.

Not get finished by a guy with no finishes since 2006.

By the same token, what does the fight look like where you don't say 'he did better than expected'?

who the gently caress has looked good against floyd? you have insanely high expectations for a person who has literally never done the thing before.

he got walked down after he gassed. floyd didn't try to walk him down until he was harmless. same for the finish.

what if the nsac sanctioned the fight as a 4 rounder. floyd probably squeaks it out but looks like poo poo.

i expected conor to not land a punch at all. that's what everyone expected since mma striking has historically been awful. conor proved top tier mma striking is like top 30-50 boxing, that's pretty loving impressive to me.

i don't see anyone else at that weight doing better against floyd.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Conor’s best punch actually came in the 3rd or 4th round if I remember correctly. Floyd goes to slip and counter and they end up trading hooks or crosses. I remember they showed a slow motion replay between rounds and it landed with way more power than the cooler looking uppercut he landed in round 1 that everyone remembers, but didn’t look to actually trouble Floyd at all.

Anyway, not doing poo poo for the first 3 rounds or so while he gets his reads is how Floyd fights most opponents and the only surprising thing to me was just how little he did against Conor in those rounds. His style has always been built around minimizing risk and only ever engaging on his terms in any fight. He was 40 and had everything to lose reputation wise if he got caught, so I guess it’s not surprising he was even more cautious than usual and didn’t do much of anything till he was sure McGregor couldn’t land a good counter any longer.

Conor did better than I expected and deserves credit for being part of a fight that ended up being way more fun to watch than practically anyone thought it would be. If he could put some pop on his punches when he’s forced to be in the pocket he might have actually been able to hurt Floyd.

I wish he’d come back to MMA already and fight any of the multiple opponents that would make for great matches.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

tesilential posted:

Then why didn't he?

So dumb fucks like you could talk about "How well Conor did against the greatest boxer of all time"

*edit* Also he had millions on the finish in the 10th:
https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/mayweather-tried-to-bet-400000-on-the-mcgregor-fight-but-was-denied/

JaySB fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 22, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

tesilential posted:

who the gently caress has looked good against floyd? you have insanely high expectations for a person who has literally never done the thing before.

he got walked down after he gassed. floyd didn't try to walk him down until he was harmless. same for the finish.

what if the nsac sanctioned the fight as a 4 rounder. floyd probably squeaks it out but looks like poo poo.

i expected conor to not land a punch at all. that's what everyone expected since mma striking has historically been awful. conor proved top tier mma striking is like top 30-50 boxing, that's pretty loving impressive to me.

makes a little more sense to say Conor did better than expected but only because your expectations were really low. I don't think that's the same as him doing well though. doing well would entail him hurting Floyd or him having momentum at any point.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

lmao, yep.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

tesilential posted:

Then why didn't he?

Building the possibility for a rematch and another easy gazilion dollars.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

who the gently caress has looked good against floyd?
Maidana

tesilential posted:

i expected conor to not land a punch at all.
So you expected something completely absurd that has never happened. So he gets credit for clearing an absurdly low bar.

tesilential posted:

You're right, seeing as Maidana is shorter.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Everybody looks good against Floyd in the first few, e everyone

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

tesilential posted:

who the gently caress has looked good against floyd?

Castillo, Maidana, De La Hoya

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

People don't give Cotto enough credit for his showing against Floyd. He gave maidana the blueprint.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

People don't give Cotto enough credit for his showing against Floyd. He gave maidana the blueprint.

Yeah he did well, prime Cotto would have been a much tougher fight for Floyd, but Floyd took over in the 9th in that fight and cruised.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Who was that journeyman with crazy defence that gave him a really hard fight a long time ago? I remember that Boxing Legends TV guy on Youtube talking about it but I can't remember the name.

\/ \/ \/ \/ That's the guy, cheers. Another one of those dudes with a numerically lovely record who is actually crazy good.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 22, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Yeah the guy who danced and did the robot while boxing. Took Floyd a while to figure him out, had him pretty shook early on.

E. Emanuel Augustus

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/976610218535739392

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I mean its thursday... check back in on monday I bet he'll be rolling.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
stfu ariel

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ariel awkwardly interviewing Floyd is the showdown people have been asking for.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

quote:

Ranked contenders Volkan Oezdemir and Mauricio Rua have been booked to fight at UFC Chile (UFC Fight Night 129), which is set to go down on May 19 at the Movistar Arena in Santiago, Chile.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

tesilential posted:

Depends who they get to write the script for the next one

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
His wrestling is already at 7. What more can he do?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://mobile.twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/976846521726656512

lol sure just fuckin do whatever

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

??????????????

WME honey what are you doin

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

?????????????

What a load of bollocks.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Didn’t woodley defend like 4 times in a year ?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
They’re waiting on GSP ?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Has there still not been a top 15 Welterweight scheduled to fight yet this year?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I wana see Masvidal make a comeback aswell. gently caress it, put him in against bisping. They hate each other.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

No way that's real.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i was just sitting here quietly thinking about how nice it is that i don't have to think about colby covington and my serenity has been shattered

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
they should get rid of interim titles and replace them with a Money In The Bank title shot briefcase imo

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/976887795322052608

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Forrest is a consummate professional as always.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Forrest is a consummate professional as always.

2 weeks notice, nice

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Forrest is such a sweet boy I love him very much

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I want to read Leben's.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dr Mr Lazarus,

I wont be at the toys are us next week, i will be on tv having a grate time getting on fights

8====D----3

e: I bet Forrest's didnt include a cadbury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I hope Colby can't get his wrestling game going against RDA and RDA just beats the brakes off the guy.

• Locked thread