Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
What are some good Switch indie titles for a new owner? I got Golf Story, Blaster Master Zero and Mighty Gunvolt Burst. I know Celeste is supposed to be really good but I don't know if I want to pay $20 to get frustrated just yet; I'll grab it on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

creationist believer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hMMINaIh5w

12 year old me would have been super into Labo

38 year old me is super into Labo. Thank heaven I have a nephew young enough that I can use as an excuse.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try it this way; Would you be making that same argument if Nintendo hadn't released Mario Kart 8 DX to pad out the launch window?

And Pokken DX. And Bayonetta 2. Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors are on the way. Sakurai wrecked himself to make Smash 4, a game few people enjoyed on the Wii U. Its (and his) support continued for several years afterward until relatively recently, I really doubt anybody has been working on a "new" Smash.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

What are some good Switch indie titles for a new owner? I got Golf Story, Blaster Master Zero and Mighty Gunvolt Burst. I know Celeste is supposed to be really good but I don't know if I want to pay $20 to get frustrated just yet; I'll grab it on sale.

FAST RMX is good if you're into F-Zero type games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

It kind of is an indie project backed by a major studio, so it’s not technically indie, but Sonic Mania is fantastic if you have ever enjoyed Genesis-era sonic.

Unless you mean exclusives, in which case :iiam:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nintendo has always been really upfront when a port is a port

it's a new smash

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I hear no one talking about DQ Builders at all, and it's been out a while. Thinking if buying it on eShop. Anyone who has think that's a terrible idea?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

LawfulWaffle posted:

You can get the Plague Knight standalone DLC for Shovel Knight for less than a tenner if memory serves me right. It's super good!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Alan_Shore posted:

I hear no one talking about DQ Builders at all, and it's been out a while. Thinking if buying it on eShop. Anyone who has think that's a terrible idea?

It's fun.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Not a Children posted:

Only in the past couple years

BotW has had its first teaser trailer come out during e3 2014

Nintendo not announcing stuff until it's about to come out is the best new thing they're doing IMHO

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

It's good

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

It's good and fun. My wife really loves it and is hype for DQB2.

It's minecraft with a story and defined goals, secret side quests, and dragon quest references. It is not dragon quest.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Manky posted:

And Pokken DX. And Bayonetta 2. Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors are on the way. Sakurai wrecked himself to make Smash 4, a game few people enjoyed on the Wii U. Its (and his) support continued for several years afterward until relatively recently, I really doubt anybody has been working on a "new" Smash.

Bamco were the ones supporting Sm4sh and they haven't shown up in what little we've seen about 5ma5h

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Brother Entropy posted:

nintendo has always been really upfront when a port is a port

it's a new smash

I wouldn’t be surprised either way because Nintendo rumors based solely on past trends may as well be ignored.

I’m just stoked I’m getting a console strength portable smash bros I can take on the road when I travel for work. That’s gonna be so cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nintendo not announcing stuff until it's about to come out is the best new thing they're doing IMHO

Going from no smash to SMASH 2018 is better than getting a smash teaser 12 months ago and no info until now. I definitely agree with you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manky posted:

That's a work/life balance issue that is sadly common in Japan, it's not relevant to whether it's a port or a new title. The simple hard fact is Nintendo actually seem to have learned how to plan "service" games with a long life-span from Splatoon and applied that knowledge to its sequel. That means Smash Bros gets the same polish, and you absolutely do not start that with a port; You build from the ground up, otherwise you're writing hacks onto code that wasn't originally designed to do what you want and the end-result isn't as good as it could be.

Doing it from scratch means they can actually plan and design accordingly for new modes, characters, mechanics, etc beyond launch.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Smash bros sold 14m copies between 3ds and wii u. It's more likely this is a new game. The engine probably won't be tweaked as hard as it has been in previous iteration shifts.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I played the demo and it's super good and fun. Not ready to buy it at full price yet but if it ever goes on sale i'm nabbing it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Agreed. They've finally figured out that maximum hype is acquired about 6 months out from an announcement

Also that they don't need to tantalize people with AAA games 3-5 years off because it's not like that pent-up demand is going away

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Not a Children posted:

Agreed. They've finally figured out that maximum hype is acquired about 6 months out from an announcement

Also that they don't need to tantalize people with AAA games 3-5 years off because it's not like that pent-up demand is going away

Thank god. Hopefully the rest of the industry follows suit. Hearing about games years away from release sucks.
The company gets you as hyped as possible so you're stuck wanting something you can't get, then by the time it comes out you don't even care anymore.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's an action game sale in Europe now. Doom is -33%

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Ooh I hope that 30% off Gunvolt Striker Pack is in the US sale. Guess we'll know in like 10 minutes

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think this will be a rebalance of Smash 4 with some new characters, costumes, stages, modes (Adventure Mode?)

I also expect people arguing about whether it's a true sequel long after the game is released. Because people are special like that

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I mean people still get blue in the face about whether the switch is primarily a home console or a portable so yeah sounds about right

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fancy Hat! posted:

It can still be a port, but with more added, like Splatoon 2 was bascially Splatoon 1.5.

I just want online Smash Run, dammit. And the removal of all the WiiU side games.

This is like saying Mega Man 2 is Mega Man 1.5, Mega Man 3 is 1.6, and so on until Mega Man 7, which is just a Mega Man 1 reboot with new bosses, with Mega Man 8 being Mega Man Reboot 1.5.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What’s DKCFreeze gonna do that warrants the $60 price tag? Would I be better off if I just picked up the Wii U version?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If nintendo waits till the very end to announce their games then where the heck is Metroid Prime 4???

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s DKCFreeze gonna do that warrants the $60 price tag? Would I be better off if I just picked up the Wii U version?

It's portable

The Wii U version is probs cheaper, at least.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah and where's that Pokemon Switch game they offhandedly announced?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Not a Children posted:

It's portable

The Wii U version is probs cheaper, at least.

It comes with baby mode too

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

It comes with baby mode too

I!! Am not!! A baby!!!

Thank you. Wasn’t sure if there were added levels or anything.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am thinking about it now and if the Switch goes

Christmas 1: Odyssey
Christmas 2: Smash
Christmas 3: MP4
Christmas 4: Pokemon

This console will have no breaks

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
No way they take 4 years to release a Pokemon game on this thing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If it takes 3 years from now to get a pokemon nintendo hosed it

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
There's no way Pokémon switch comes out as late as 2020

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

I've made like 5 different "I love Builders" posts ITT come on! :mad:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Metroid is not gonna be anywhere close to as big of a deal as Pokemon i'm sorry to all the metroid fans these are just the facts

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Yeah Builders is so much fun. People call it a 'directed Minecraft' but it's so much more, and has all the DQ charm.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Pokemon will probably announce in the summer for a Christmas release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
If Nintendo somehow manages to push both Smash and Pokemon out before the end of the year the Switch will achieve godlike sales status. It'll literally be impossible to find come Christmas time.

• Locked thread