Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/971903844799180800

This isn't a joke: If you donate $500 to a slate of democratic candidates tonight, David Simon will send you a hand-written apology for killing off the Wire character of your choice.

I almost want to do it in order to get Simon write an apology for killing Cheese's dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Just Bodie, man. He deserved a happy ending.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

exmachina posted:

Three people paid for apologies for Bodie. One saint remembered the most tragic death of all.
https://twitter.com/utlendingur/status/971988359198400516

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exmachina posted:

He got to chose his own death, that's more than the rest of the characters got.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Whiskey Duck was a true American hero :patriot:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

exmachina posted:

I genuinely cried.

The actor who played him doesn't seem to have done much else. That's a shame.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
If you wanted to be a huge rear end in a top hat you could make him apologize for killing off Ray Cole or Colonel Forster.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Started another rewatch and I totally forgot bubbles has a son. I think he only mentions him once, offhand, in a conversation with Walon in season 1 and it's never brought up again, at least not that I can remember.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Where's Wallace, Simon? Where's Wallace?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

empty baggie posted:

Becoming a giant movie star! :hellyeah:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

someone pick eastern european shipping container whore # 5

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

exmachina posted:

No, he deserved to be tried and convicted for murder. The fact that he tries to stop a psychopath doesn't make him a good person, and he never expresses regret for his crimes.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Konstantin posted:

No, he deserved to be tried and convicted for murder. The fact that he tries to stop a psychopath doesn't make him a good person, and he never expresses regret for his crimes.

Deserve got nothing to do with it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

empty baggie posted:

https://twitter.com/idriselba/status/972042690975158272

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Konstantin posted:

Responses like these make me wonder if you understood anything at all about what the show was trying to teach you.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Omar did nothing wrong.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

someone pick eastern european shipping container whore # 5

Nonono see those weren't people, those were corpses. In the show nobody is concerned with the trafficking of humans, they literally just say welp that's sure a lot of dead bodies, possible criminal involvement, wonder what do we charge that as, hmmmmm?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

A friend is watching for the first time and is realizing that McNulty might not be an effective officer of the law

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Capntastic posted:

A friend is watching for the first time and is realizing that McNulty might not be an effective officer of the law

They’re doing better than me, it took me until my second watch to fully realize that mcnulty may not be the best-intentioned hero of the series

In retrospect, it should have been obvious from the scene where they find Wallace’s body and all mcnulty has to say is something like “I guess we have to get stringer bell some other way now” while Daniels gives him his best “you piece of poo poo” glare

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

We finished season 3 last night and it zapped his empathy glands until they were crispier than lake trout

Season 4 will turn his whole brain into pit beef

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Season 5 will render his heart into scrapple

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Capntastic posted:

How many out there can do what he does?

Don Warden, Ed Burns, Gary Childs out in the county, John O'Neil and Steve Cleary over in Woodlawn, oh they bring it in, but there's not many.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

spog posted:

Don Warden, Ed Burns, Gary Childs out in the county, John O'Neil and Steve Cleary over in Woodlawn, oh they bring it in, but there's not many.

(Looking over glasses lenses) Real police

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You mean....po-lice

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

If you don’t read it right that ain’t my problem

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

spog posted:

This has probably been pointed out, but Don Worden and Gary Childs (and obviously Ed Burns) were actual Baltimore Homicide police. Worden was a major feature in Simons book Homicide, while Burns and Childs were mentioned but not featured as they were on detail and the opposite shift respectively. I was trying to find out, but I would guess John O'Niel and Steve Cleary were also real (real) police. Also it has definitely been said before, but both Simon's books Homicide and The Corner are fantastic and definitely worth a read.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I just finished reading Homicide for the first time and it’s basically a season of The Wire (in every positive sense that comparison can convey). Absolutely go read it if you haven’t.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Sticko posted:

This has probably been pointed out, but Don Worden and Gary Childs (and obviously Ed Burns) were actual Baltimore Homicide police. Worden was a major feature in Simons book Homicide, while Burns and Childs were mentioned but not featured as they were on detail and the opposite shift respectively. I was trying to find out, but I would guess John O'Niel and Steve Cleary were also real (real) police. Also it has definitely been said before, but both Simon's books Homicide and The Corner are fantastic and definitely worth a read.

Worden has a blink and you'll miss it cameo in The Wire, he's the detective who says "type quieter rear end in a top hat" just before Bunk comes in on early relief in an episode of Season 5 iirc

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My rewatch is up toward the end of Season 1...I don't like Bodie right now :mad:

Poot too :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

pokeyman posted:

I just finished reading Homicide for the first time and it’s basically a season of The Wire (in every positive sense that comparison can convey). Absolutely go read it if you haven’t.

Yeah, I love that book. I think The Corner is even better but it's very subjective, they're quite different books.

Ainsley McTree posted:

My rewatch is up toward the end of Season 1...I don't like Bodie right now :mad:

Poot too :(

It really is to the credit of the show that this action which would make them hated villains in any other show doesn't actually poison the characters for the rest of the seasons that follow.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s such a great scene, and I hate it for being so good.

The way bodie’s gun keeps shaking, the last little bit of innocence leaking out of his soul.

Well, joke’s on him in the end I guess, it’s Wallace’s career who took off

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Larry gilliard accosting idris elba screaming where's his career

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well he survived season one of The Deuce at least :shobon:

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
One thing I just noticed for the first time. In S01E10 The Cost D chases after Shardene after she breaks up with him. He angrily kicks something off screen. The camera pans down to a stool rolling down the street. poo poo rolls downhill.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

On season 5 in my rewatch, and I'm really noticing the camera work. It feels different from the previous seasons, and I gotta say I really like it. It feels more colorful, and they seem to have tried a lot of different things with blocking and filming conversations in ways other than shot-reverse shot.
Definitely enjoying it even more than previous watches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That brief return in the final episode of the silly in-universe camera shots from the first episode of season 1 still cracks me up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Did the thread ever talk about Nicko's pi tattoo on his neck? It looks pretty fresh in one of the later episodes of season 2 and it’s prominent in some of the last shots of the season finale. No idea what the significance is but it can’t be a coincidence that he’s becoming buddies with "the "Greeks"" and gets a Greek letter tat?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Finishing up season 3 on I think my third rewatch, I'd forgotten Stringer dies in s3, it's been a couple years since I last watched the Wire and for some reason I thought he got got in s4.

I think there's an interesting parallel between the characters of Stringer and McNulty. They're both smart and competent but sabotage themselves through their own self-righteousness. The big difference is that McNulty knows he's a fuckup and doesn't care that he's burning bridges with coworkers and the bosses, while Stringer has a blind spot and thinks his actions can't possibly come back to hurt him.

Stringer considers himself a businessman, he's above the street. It's just business. He's way past that gangsta wild poo poo. Except... he's not, and that's ultimately his downfall. He orders the abduction and torture of Omar's boy Brandon in s1 that sets Omar against Bell and the Barksdale crew. He lies to Omar about Brother Mouzone being Brandon's torturer, which sets Omar against Mouzone and ultimately turns Mouzone against Stringer. Stringer orders the murder of D'Angelo which pushes Avon to betray String. Stringer thinks he's above it all because he has other people do his dirty work for him, but his instinct is always toward violence. A great example is how he wants Slim Charles to assassinate Clay Davis after Clay plays Stringer for a quarter mil in cash.

McNulty thinks he's real po-lice, Stringer thinks he's a real businessman. Except McNulty fully realizes and even embraces how much of a fuckup he is, while Stringer imagines himself to be above it all.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just finished All the Pieces Matter, that oral history of the show. If you crazy enough about the show to still be posting on a dead gay comedy forum 10 years after it ended you should really read it. Tons of interesting insights and anecdotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s such a great scene, and I hate it for being so good.

The way bodie’s gun keeps shaking, the last little bit of innocence leaking out of his soul.

Well, joke’s on him in the end I guess, it’s Wallace’s career who took off

When he was 19, JD Williams played a 16 year old Kenny Wangler in OZ. When he was 24 he played a 16 year old Bodie in The Wire.

If you were being charitable you would say that he already had a career before The Wire but all he really had was that role on Oz. It was a pretty big role though.