Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mordja posted:

Which is a shame because I wanted full on Lee Russell as a villain.

:smith::hf::smith:

To provide a little more content for the top of the page... On my current playthrough of Tomb Raider 13, one of the nice things I've noticed is that unlike 90% of games with exploration and collectibles, it's perfectly reasonable to find everything in the game without having to resort to following a guide or walkthrough. You can pretty much 100% the game from start to finish without going to outside sources, which is something I really appreciate.

Shame about the multiplayer mode though.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the Ubisoft sale - how's Heroes of Might and Magic VII? VI was poo poo so I'm not too hopeful, but maybe there's something good hidden in there?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DrNutt posted:

All that said it's still a competent action flick and Alicia Vikander does a good job with what she's given (though my gf was really salty that they didn't just cast Camilla Luddington).

I saw an interview with her and was surprised to hear that her normal speaking voice isn't Lara's posh London accent. She has a little bit of an accent but it sounds more halfway between British and American.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

I saw an interview with her and was surprised to hear that her normal speaking voice isn't Lara's posh London accent. She has a little bit of an accent but it sounds more halfway between British and American.

Yeah, I saw a clip of her on Conan and was pretty surprised. Brits, good at faking British accents apparently.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
She's Swedish, idgi

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tsyni posted:

She's Swedish, idgi

I was talking about Lara's VA for the games, not Alicia Vikander.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The only thing I remember from 2000 Tomb Raider is a shootout with mummies and Lara answers the question of how she reloads her twin pistols (a rack with magazines slides out of her backpack)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Batman: Telltale is not a good series, However, I am willing to give it a slight pass depending on how this plays just because they let me have a dumb psychotic buddy vigilante comedy of Joker and Batman VS The US Government. It has a high probably of loving up, but they actually gave us the option.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 22, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Telltale Batman S2 is easily the best thing they've done since Tales from the Borderlands, though it's not like there's much competition.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Man that dude is trying so hard to be Mark Hamill but he's just not quite there

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Too Shy Guy posted:

This site lets you sort your library however you like, if you're okay with looking your games up externally: https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

Perfect, thanks!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Regarding the Ubisoft sale - how's Heroes of Might and Magic VII? VI was poo poo so I'm not too hopeful, but maybe there's something good hidden in there?

Not really, it seems like it was rushed out the door.

For example, they didn't even bother animating cutscenes. All you get is a bunch of static character models sitting around while their voice actors speak. It looks like something made with Gary's Mod.

Also at release it ran like complete stuttering poo poo. They may have improved that with patches though.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 22, 2018

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I think the general opinion is pretty much always <n-1> was actually pretty decent after patches/ expansions, <n> is crap.

Wait what strategy game are we talking about again?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Heroes VII is "okay". It's not exciting though.
I think that since they embraced Generic Fantasy Worlds it's become a lot less interesting. HoMM1-3 were fun for me partly because they used the setting of the normal games. The new ones don't bother and they definitely suffer for it.

I picked up Armello in the sale and I don't think I've ever been more annoyed at a game. It's like playing Talisman only you're sat on your own and everyone else's turn takes a thousand years.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The answer to which of the modern Heroes of M&M is the best is usually Kings Bounty: The Legend.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Curse of Monkey Island is finally on steam? That’s extremely my poo poo, it’s like the only one I’ve yet to play.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

It fit perfectly next to Daniel Craig's terrible American accent.

Ahh I completely forgot about him. This is was before he was really well known.

For anyone who is interested in racing games or more specifically formula1 driving.

F1 2015 is free on humble bundle. You can get it for steam collection.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/...os_tile_index_1

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Vakal posted:

The answer to which of the modern Heroes of M&M is the best is usually Kings Bounty: The Legend.

I'd say King's Bounty isn't the same sort of game as Homm even though the battles are really similar.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bethesda is having a Humble sale. Are there any good total conversions for Fallout 4, or is it all boring, sloggy survival stuff, still?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ninguno posted:

I think the general opinion is pretty much always <n-1> was actually pretty decent after patches/ expansions, <n> is crap.

Wait what strategy game are we talking about again?

People have always and continue to hate homms 4, 6, 6.5, and now 7. Rip homm

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would recommend any of the King's Bounty over any HOMM except maybe V's expansion with the mod that gives you the complete campaign. It's the core gameplay distilled into an RPG where you recruit big monsters and fight poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My main complaint about the King's Bounty games is that they're too long, but they're fun until they start getting tedious.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What's the current best way to bulk list items on the marketplace?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

My main complaint about the King's Bounty games is that they're too long, but they're fun until they start getting tedious.

It's kind of what I like about them and why I recommend them over modern HOMM. They're really casual, no stakes, just focus on min/maxing the resources they give you. Once you get bored you can uninstall it and not miss out on anything.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Bought Trackmania 2, and wow this whole system and UI is impressively bad.

Edit: Also, the mandatory update process consisted of hammering the retry button a dozen times for every file.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 22, 2018

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

ninguno posted:

In this case it's <n-2> though, V was the last decent one.

And I still think Kings Bounty: Crossworlds was better than Legend, but that might be because I didn't care about the story and just wanted crunchy systems.

I'm actually not sure why they have so much trouble making good homms, it doesn't seem like it should be that hard.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

il_cornuto posted:

I'm actually not sure why they have so much trouble making good homms, it doesn't seem like it should be that hard.

I think strategy game sequels are generally hard since you want to add new mechanics, but you also need to maintain some core of the series. What people perceive to be a core series mechanic differs, though (e.g., Civ's stacks). Like the KB games hit a similar wall since the gameplay just wasn't changing in good, substantive leaps, so it became harder to justify buying a sequel that was like 90% the same and the last 10% changed and is maybe iffy?

Or you can just take the Paradox approach of making a billion DLC and then maybe do a sequel when...???

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

corn in the bible posted:

People have always and continue to hate homms 4, 6, 6.5, and now 7. Rip homm

Don't forget 3 HD. That's one people hate too, right.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Taear posted:

Heroes VII is "okay". It's not exciting though.
I think that since they embraced Generic Fantasy Worlds it's become a lot less interesting. HoMM1-3 were fun for me partly because they used the setting of the normal games. The new ones don't bother and they definitely suffer for it.

I picked up Armello in the sale and I don't think I've ever been more annoyed at a game. It's like playing Talisman only you're sat on your own and everyone else's turn takes a thousand years.
Dark Messiah, as well as Might and Magic X, use the same world, I believe. They deliberately completely ditched the old setting where you'd be playing fantasy except then like 3/4ths through the game you start picking up blaster rifles and exploring crashed spaceships and poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I think strategy game sequels are generally hard since you want to add new mechanics, but you also need to maintain some core of the series. What people perceive to be a core series mechanic differs, though (e.g., Civ's stacks). Like the KB games hit a similar wall since the gameplay just wasn't changing in good, substantive leaps, so it became harder to justify buying a sequel that was like 90% the same and the last 10% changed and is maybe iffy?

Or you can just take the Paradox approach of making a billion DLC and then maybe do a sequel when...???

Advanced Squad Leader had this all figured out forty years ago. You've got a base ruleset then just release maps and campaigns forever. Paradox, being largely a wargame publisher, knows what's up.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah they rebooted the setting with Dark Messiah, and have used it ever since. Dark Messiah makes it seem halfway interesting but all the HoMM games set in it are ultra-generic. Might and Magic X actually reintroduces some of the old stuff so the neat science fantasy elements might came back.

HoMM 5 is the best one by far. It started out strong and just got better and better with every expansion.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 22, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Don't forget 3 HD. That's one people hate too, right.
To be fair that one is hated with good reason since it somehow manages not to contain the expansions.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair that one is hated with good reason since it somehow manages not to contain the expansions.

There was also this hilariously brazen example of deceptive advertising:

(They used upscaled map sprites from the original instead of the detailed combat ones to make it appear like the original looked significantly worse than it actually did)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
homm3 hd is just bizarre. why doesn't it have the expansions? the gently caress was the point of that?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC there was an issue with either the rights to or code for Shadow of Death just not being available, so they tried a quick cash-in on a cult classic.

Kanfy posted:

There was also this hilariously brazen example of deceptive advertising:

Yeah, I was about to ask where the hell did the bottom sprites come from since the top was obviously classic HoMM3.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arkane please make dark messiah 2 which will be the same as dark messiah 1 except you can kick with both legs at the same time.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC there was an issue with either the rights to or code for Shadow of Death just not being available, so they tried a quick cash-in on a cult classic.
Yeah, I was about to ask where the hell did the bottom sprites come from since the top was obviously classic HoMM3.

The claim was that there was only source code for the base game in the NWC archives. It's way better to get HoMM3 + expansions on GOG and just apply fan patches.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Digirat posted:

Arkane please make dark messiah 2 which will be the same as dark messiah 1 except you can kick with both legs at the same time.

I don't think Arkane is going to be making anything anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

In another universe, Prey was named System Shock 3 and sold shitloads.