Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

People wanted to see Bo Derek's boobs again after 10, and the internet didn't exist yet

That's true, but it's also such an uncomfortable and slow film I can't imagine walking out of the theater without wanting your money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

enigmahfc posted:

I got Tarzan the Ape Man confused with Greystoke, and I was looking forward to some Lambert action. dammit.

They got so angry about this episode that I bet they will lose their poo poo if they have to watch a Tarzan movie next year too.

eheh heh heh

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

That was the second worst movie I've ever seen

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

That was the second worst movie I've ever seen

forgive me if I missed it but what is your first?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DoubleCakes posted:

forgive me if I missed it but what is your first?

Another WHM classic, A Letter From Death Row

E: Actually not that I think about it, ALFDR might be weird enough to give this the bottom spot

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 22, 2018

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’m kinda disappointed that I can’t use “Alright, nut! Great scene everyone!” in conversation because I think it’s super clever within the comedy of this episode.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
What's the deal with 10? It's before my time, never seen it, but I still could have told you "Bo Derek and Dudley Moore on the beach". I just watched the trailer and it looks so weird and creepy. What the hell is it and how did it leave such a mark?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Will WHM interrupt the regular schedule to do a current film review like they've done every March so far? I want them to tear into Ready Player One.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

They do on-screens pretty regularly. BvS was so significantly bad that they made it a full episode while it was still in theaters. If RPO is as miserable as it appears to be shaping up to be, I could see them doing the same.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
This review of Pacific Rim 2 might have been influenced by WHM:

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
There's also always Worst Of Month. But I feel like one of those weeks will already be reserved for Dear Dictator

quote:

When political turmoil forces a British-Caribbean dictator (Michael Caine) to flee his island nation, he seeks refuge with his pen pal, a rebellious teenage girl (Odeya Rush) in suburban America, and teaches her how to start a revolution and overthrow the "mean girls" in her high school.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

This review of Pacific Rim 2 might have been influenced by WHM:

The movie also ends on a “you’re not gonna believe this” which I’m honestly still down for even though the movie wasn’t great because robits.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Andorra posted:

There's also always Worst Of Month. But I feel like one of those weeks will already be reserved for Dear Dictator

See, this, on paper, sounds like it could be absolutely hilarious. And I suppose, in the hands of a skilled satirist like your Armando Ianuccis and Charlie Brookers and Chris Morrises, it could've been. It just reads like squandered potential.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man you'd think Chris Cabin, the Most Contrarian Film Critic In America, would look more kindly on critical reappraisals :v:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Legit dying at Optimus Prime/Tom Waits voice for Lindsey Lohan.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Just listened to the Ghost Rider episode...can't wait to say "They're scratching at the dooooooooOOOR!"

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Fart City posted:

Legit dying at Optimus Prime/Tom Waits voice for Lindsey Lohan.

Let's go to the mall.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

"You know what, I wrote the script in middle school and I'm not gonna clean it up!"

God help any creator that marries themselves to stories and ideas they came up when they were kids and refuse to drastically change anything.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Dmitri-9 posted:

Let's go to the mall.

This and the whole AskJeeves bit killed me.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Re-listening to old episodes, and drat is Antitrust a hidden gem.

“Uh, sorry guys. The negotiations with Sugar Ray fell through. We’re going to have to go with Everclear.”

“What the gently caress?! I hate Art Alexakis! Alright, fine. But he can’t sing about his dad!”

They’re all about his dad!

Also: BurtonWorld and “Helena Bonham Bumper Cars.”

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Fart City posted:

“Uh, sorry guys. The negotiations with Sugar Ray fell through. We’re going to have to go with Everclear.”

“What the gently caress?! I hate Art Alexakis! Alright, fine. But he can’t sing about his dad!”

They describe the movie as 90's runoff and that's a fact! I love how the producers realized the .com trend in movie titles was passed its prime (even in 2001) and opted to call it Antitrust instead of 'Conspiracy.com'.

Also my favourite line from that episode: "You can’t be the boy who cried 'diarrhea'."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Good ep but they seriously did not want to talk about that movie one bit.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I actually watched I Know Who Killed Me in the lead-up to the episode, and by god it's a rough sit. I don't know if I'd call it "barely a movie" but it's sure as poo poo in that zip code. It's hard to talk about because it's a maelstrom of nonsense, just one awful example of writing, acting and filmmaking after another, and it doesn't have a coherent narrative to give you sure footing in the storm. It's absolutely awe-inspiring and I'd recommend it in the way I'd recommend Foodfight, Master of Disguise or the Star Wars Holiday Special - it's an uniquely abrasive experience.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

They're completely correct when they say it shares some DNA with Butterfly Effect. It's as IN YOUR FACE EDGY but somehow more nonsensical.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

weekly font posted:

They're completely correct when they say it shares some DNA with Butterfly Effect. It's as IN YOUR FACE EDGY but somehow more nonsensical.

I loved the return of the Butterfly Effect stoners in this episode. In a way this episode is like a spiritual sequel to Butterfly Effect.

Bip Roberts posted:

Good ep but they seriously did not want to talk about that movie one bit.

I might like it more on a relisten but this might be why I don't like this as much as Butterfly Effect even as I was expecting a legendary episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fart City posted:

I would 100% listen to a one-off or spin-off Patreon-only podcast where they do nothing but talk about music, especially 80s/90s punk and indie bands. Ideally there would be an entire episode on Mojo Nixon.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

precision posted:

I would 100% listen to a one-off or spin-off Patreon-only podcast where they do nothing but talk about music, especially 80s/90s punk and indie bands. Ideally there would be an entire episode on Mojo Nixon.

Along those lines, they did say on twitter that they would do more one-offs / side projects if the Patreon ever becomes profitable enough that they can quit their jobs. I don't necessarily see it ever getting enough for provide four full time salaries, but we can dream.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

I actually watched I Know Who Killed Me in the lead-up to the episode, and by god it's a rough sit. I don't know if I'd call it "barely a movie" but it's sure as poo poo in that zip code. It's hard to talk about because it's a maelstrom of nonsense, just one awful example of writing, acting and filmmaking after another, and it doesn't have a coherent narrative to give you sure footing in the storm. It's absolutely awe-inspiring and I'd recommend it in the way I'd recommend Foodfight, Master of Disguise or the Star Wars Holiday Special - it's an uniquely abrasive experience.

As multiple reviews pointed out at the time, when you literally have ART BELL show up in the middle of the movie to essentially EXPLAIN WHAT’S HAPPENING, your movie has PROBLEMS.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

AceOfFlames posted:

As multiple reviews pointed out at the time, when you literally have ART BELL show up in the middle of the movie to essentially EXPLAIN WHAT’S HAPPENING, your movie has PROBLEMS.

Well now hold on, first you've gotta search Ask.com for "bleeding wounds unexplained" which takes you to the search results for "stigmata" and then you gotta click on a picture which brings up a pop-up of Art Bell explaining paranormal twin phenomenon. Now this is after Crabman from My Name is Earl gives Lindsay Lohan a robot arm of course, a cinematic trope we're all familiar with by this point, but before Lindsay Lohan correctly guesses (apropos of nothing) that Aubrey died during childbirth and the dad bought a twin from a crackwhore to replace her and somehow nobody from the hospital to the mother to god almighty noticed. It's like Chekov said, if you have a dejected piano teacher in the first act, they have to have a glass furnace in their basement next to a room full of false legs hanging from the ceiling in the third act.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I think Tarzan the Ape Man was actually the worst movie this month. I Know Who Killed Me might objectively be worse but at least they could make a coherent episode out of it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The one thing they didn't mention in this episode that I wish they did was the point at the end of the movie where Dakota's artificial leg starts running out of power, at which point it seems to increase in weight and keep her from running.

Bear in mind that this isn't like a full leg replacement, it's just a regular below-the-knee prosthetic that (for some reason) she needs to plug into the wall at night.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cael posted:

Along those lines, they did say on twitter that they would do more one-offs / side projects if the Patreon ever becomes profitable enough that they can quit their jobs. I don't necessarily see it ever getting enough for provide four full time salaries, but we can dream.

I kinda find it hard to believe that Andrew or Chris would ever quit, they both have their dream gigs, right?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
“Venue fetisch” broke me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The entire last twenty of this mailbag is incredible.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

precision posted:

Same, but replace everything you said with "a cover of that Evanescence song from Daredevil"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Same, but replace everything you said with "a cover of that Evanescence song from Daredevil"

There were two.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
"Get the girl, then get the feet."

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Uhhh could you guys stop posting in this thread? I kind of have a thread posting fetish.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
She's postin' and she don't even know it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I can post too if I want, Mark! *kersplat*