Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mewse posted:

Coffee lake (8000 series) boosted core counts to compete with Ryzen

So what’s the sweet spot price/performance intel core count now? 8C/16T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

So what’s the sweet spot price/performance intel core count now? 8C/16T?

The i7-8700k is generally recognized as the best gaming processor and its 6c/12t

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are modern games even taking advantage of that or is it more to cover the overhead of capturing/steaming?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shaocaholica posted:

Are modern games even taking advantage of that or is it more to cover the overhead of capturing/steaming?

They have enough threads to put one or more on each core, though they generally do get bottlenecked by the mainthread to some extent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

mewse posted:

The i7-8700k is generally recognized as the best gaming processor and its 6c/12t

8700k is probably not the price/perf sweet spot though. The 8600 at 6c/6t is probably a better use of money if you are constrained to a budget, 8400 even a step better. Right now its rare for games to be that limited by core count or even raw speed.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

You have things running on your computer that aren't games. And it's wonderful to have some spare cores laying around to throw at those tasks.

If you only open a game and have nothing else open then it matters a whole lot less.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Games like Overwatch (and PUBG, but I somehow doubt that) claim to take advantage of 6C, I've yet to see anyone talk about 8C.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm hoping a fool's hope that we see an 8c/8t "Core i5-9400" for ~$250 by the end of the year.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 20, 2018

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

spasticColon posted:

I'm hoping a fool's hope that we see an 8c/8t "Core i5-9400" for ~$250 by the end of the year.
I think they wouldn't do this for the same reason they've eliminated 4c/8t from their desktop lineup despite still producing quad core dies.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think Intel would rather bring hyper-threading to the i5 (for the love of god already loving please) than put actual cores on deep discount.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol wut there no mainstream 4c/8t model anymore?

E: oh I guess that’s the 6c/12t now

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I think Intel would rather bring hyper-threading to the i5 (for the love of god already loving please) than put actual cores on deep discount.

But that would make the i7 chips obsolete/irrelevant unless you mean for the CL 9xxx series they make the i5-9xxx chips 6c/12t and make the i7-9xxx chips 8c/16t. That would actually make more sense.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 20, 2018

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Cygni posted:

Intel has now come out and said that Cascade Lake (the next Xeon/HEDT platform) and the new desktop product refresh due at the end of this year (Cannon Lake? Ice Lake?) will be hardware immune to Meltdown and Spectre v2.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12533/intel-spectre-meltdown

Question; are the coded fixes equal to the innate hardware fix that's coming?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Question; are the coded fixes equal to the innate hardware fix that's coming?

Nobody knows. 12-18 months is a pretty quick turnaround for a bug that severe; on the other hand it's not like they have to solve this from the ground up. AMD is much less affected so all they really need to do is rip off what AMD's doing. Which means not sharing Branch Target Buffer aliases between multiple addresses, and doing security checks before issuing the speculative execution rather than after it completes.

I'd say those are not trivial tasks, but they should be relatively discrete tasks, there is no need to "redesign the whole core" or anything like that.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Well, I can confirm that a BIOS update from Intel is available that patches the Xeon E3-1270v6 and it works fine. Confirmed the vulnerabilities are patched via the Microsoft PowerShell script that checks the CPU. I have yet to notice a performance degradation.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Interesting sorta post mortem on the Spectre/Meltdown patches for Intel. As with the other testing, shows pretty much no impact to gaming numbers and anywhere from "unnoticeable" to "goddamnit" impacts to storage performance depending on what you are doin.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12566/analyzing-meltdown-spectre-perf-impact-on-intel-nuc7i7bnh

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

Interesting sorta post mortem on the Spectre/Meltdown patches for Intel. As with the other testing, shows pretty much no impact to gaming numbers and anywhere from "unnoticeable" to "goddamnit" impacts to storage performance depending on what you are doin.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12566/analyzing-meltdown-spectre-perf-impact-on-intel-nuc7i7bnh

I think there is a chance for the storage impact to be somewhat mitigated. It only seems to affect NVMe drives under Windows, and it might be possible to change how the NVMe driver behaves to help out. Hopefully this can be explored by MS (and Samsung, who like to write their own driver) and an improvement found.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EoRaptor posted:

I think there is a chance for the storage impact to be somewhat mitigated. It only seems to affect NVMe drives under Windows, and it might be possible to change how the NVMe driver behaves to help out. Hopefully this can be explored by MS (and Samsung, who like to write their own driver) and an improvement found.

It might not be possible to fix this with a driver patch. Meltdown mitigation adds overhead to all transitions between kernel mode and user mode. Generally speaking, one IOP equals one kernel/user round trip, so it's likely that the cause of the slowdown is just that a NVME disk and driver are capable of cranking out so many IOPs that the additional system call overhead really hurts.

(that's why the article mentions SATA probably doesn't notice this as much -- it's just that SATA can't sustain as many IOPs.)

eames
May 9, 2009

March 2018: Intel discovers multicore optimization for game engines. Render need better jobify.

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-03/multi-core-cpu-games/

mystes
May 31, 2006

eames posted:

March 2018: Intel discovers multicore optimization for game engines. Render need better jobify.

Gee, I wonder whose fault it is that games don't bother doing a good job of optimizing for more than 4 cores. Maybe the company that decided not to bother going beyond 4 cores in desktop processors for 10 years when they didn't face much competition?

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 27, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

eames posted:

What a weird presentation. Just reads like some press briefing given the absence of anything that's actually technical.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

mystes posted:

Gee, I wonder whose fault it is that games don't bother doing a good job of optimizing for more than 4 cores. Maybe the company that decided not to bother going beyond 4 cores in desktop processors for 10 years when they didn't face much competition?

Well it allowed me to game on a 2500K for 7 years so I'm not going to complain too much.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mystes posted:

Gee, I wonder whose fault it is that games don't bother doing a good job of optimizing for more than 4 cores

Game developers. 6 thread 360s were out in 2005 and the 2 thread + 6 core heterogeneous core design PS3s were out in 2006.

PC people melted the gently caress down over it when a developer finally brought heavy core usage over in the form of GTA IV, which refused to play nicely with everybody's old 2 core systems.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.techspot.com/news/73896-branchscope-attack-successfully-demonstrated-several-intel-cpus.html

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/its-not-just-spectre-researchers-reveal-more-branch-prediction-attacks/

Another branch predictor exploit similar to Spectre has been demonstrated on several Intel CPUs.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

From the article:

quote:

Update: in a statement, Intel says: We have been working with these researchers and we have determined the method they describe is similar to previously known side channel exploits. We anticipate that existing software mitigations for previously known side channel exploits, such as the use of side channel resistant cryptography, will be similarly effective against the method described in this paper.

Could it be that these are already patched?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

fishmech posted:

Game developers. 6 thread 360s were out in 2005 and the 2 thread + 6 core heterogeneous core design PS3s were out in 2006.

Wasn't one of the cores/threads reserved for system UI so the game wasn't allowed to touch them? And you're still severely limited by memory constraints so there's only so much you can do with one or two more threads anyways.

I'm not a console game developer so I don't know all the details, but I find it hard to believe that the guys who had been desperately squeezing every last inch of performance out of that hardware for years would leave extra threads unexamined.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

isndl posted:

Wasn't one of the cores/threads reserved for system UI so the game wasn't allowed to touch them? And you're still severely limited by memory constraints so there's only so much you can do with one or two more threads anyways.

I'm not a console game developer so I don't know all the details, but I find it hard to believe that the guys who had been desperately squeezing every last inch of performance out of that hardware for years would leave extra threads unexamined.

Yep, add to that that the PS3 was something else altogether with its SPUs.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paging Paul.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fishmech posted:

PC people melted the gently caress down over it when a developer finally brought heavy core usage over in the form of GTA IV, which refused to play nicely with everybody's old 2 core systems.

tbf that game melted down on my contemporaneous 4c/4t system as well; the performance metrics were really variable on similar systems, it didn't make much sense

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

yet another motherfucking branch attack

boy I hope Cascade Lake actually has the thing (it probably won't)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Since we're talking about Meltdown...

Microsoft's Windows 7 Meltdown fixes from January, February made PCs MORE INSECURE

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

microsoft still being in business is proof that the free market doesnt work

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lol Windows 7.

End of Extended Support can't come soon enough.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Windows 7 is probably gonna hang on as long as XP.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm sure glad MS dropped that QA team. We've seen zero fallout from that decision.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

isndl posted:

PS3 had 8 of the heterogenous cores of which 1 was always off due to yield optimization, and 1 was OS reserved. 360 had one thread reserved. Total threads available for the games: 5 powerpc threads on 3 cores for the 360, 2 powerpc threads on one core and 6 "spe" cores on the PS3.

Very few games bothered to use nearly the same level of threading on the PC until well into the console lives, again with GTA IV's pc port being one of the first.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the probably SDK supported optimizations considering how many games used it on the PS3 was letting the cores race and the first one to finish would be the result used. They discovered that in developing RPCS3, pausing threads would result in no difference but a large performance improvement on the PC since it wasn't racing all the cores.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Generic Monk posted:

tbf that game melted down on my contemporaneous 4c/4t system as well; the performance metrics were really variable on similar systems, it didn't make much sense

Yeah, it was hell on GPU’s as well, you’d better have 1 gig of VRAM or you were going to have a bad time, and only brand-new cards at the time had that much memory. You could run it with 512 but the pop-in was so bad that some parts of the game were nearly unplayable.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Generic Monk posted:

GTA 4 has some absolutely nutty exponential load scaling with resolution, meaning that 10 years from now it will still run like rear end at 8K. It is to GPU usage what Oblivion is to single core performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Saints row always ran pretty well, another reason the series is clearly superior.