Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Digirat posted:

Will air pipes still work when the chain is so long and far beneath the surface that the ones on the surface aren't loaded anymore?

Or are they just always in memory? I've seen my base be visible from an infinite distance away so it wouldn't surprise me

I think theoretically a pipe of any length will work, but in practice the physics engine isn't designed to handle player constructions over a certain length and you're going to get wonky physics and/or corrupted saves.

Mandrel posted:

is there a way to get stalkers to leave my cameras the gently caress alone and stop dragging them off to the rear end end of nowhere. im just trying to map the region from the safety of my base like a huge coward in peace, gently caress off you toothy dicks

if it means I have to eradicate them with my knife 1v1 I will do that

I've had stalkers swim all the way from the kelp forest to my base down in the glowshroom cave thermal cleft specifically to steam my goddamned camera drones. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Put your cameras in a locker when not in use.

Otherwise just accept that they're going for a ride.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I set my cameras loose and they end up wherever they end up. Nothing has bothered them though since my base is at the mouth of the lost river and the only thing around there was a crabsquid but I murdered it. 4 range upgrades on the scanner room is great though. I just wish there was a bigger scanner room.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just watched The Abyss and it was interesting to see somethings that seemed to directly inspire Subnautica. It was less cool to find out how awful that movie actually is.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Watch Deepstar Six instead. It's got Peter Weller (RoboCop).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Knobb Manwich posted:

Alternatively put them in a volcanic vent. See if the stalker's survive going for them before they get blown up.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I just learned to zen it out and accept my cameras would be going out for rides every now and then. It was really the most annoying before I figured out how to find magnetite for the HUD chip - I'd use the camera drones to scout an area for fragments, park the camera over the fragment, and then go out to get it, homing in on the camera drone. One time I was going out for a seamoth fragment just in time to see a stalker swim up from the ravine where I'd left the drone with said drone in tow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stalkers start out as terrors but they kinda grew on me.

I mostly used floating lockers in the early game as survival stashes of food and water.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 23, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Started afresh on Freedom. Never touched a radio. Finished building the Rocket, which I started early because I knew the keycode to the captain's quarter from the previous aborted playthrough. Got the Blue tablet. I hear that the scavenger-hunt to cure the disease is supposed to be really short. I know it's a rarity for these survival games to have an end goal, but the last act seems anti-climactic if I'm almost finished.

I wonder what the receptions is to replays of this game because your starting lifepod is the only thing that changes.

There should be the option to dissemble non-habitat items like water-tight lockers, tools, and even vehicles.

Magnetite can gently caress off. A dull-looking mineral found in that Shroom cave you barely glanced through?

Is the Sunbeam like Solaire in that if you go out of way to ignore them you can save them from a nasty fate?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wonder what the receptions is to replays of this game because your starting lifepod is the only thing that changes.

Subnautica is a one play through survival game I think. The experience just wouldn't be close to the same on a second go through. There would be nothing to explore or discover, which is the best part of the game and there is very little random variation. Every time I encountered some new lifeform in subnautica its was terrifying, but on a second play through I would already understand their behaviour.

Its also too static to be a fun rogue-like. The locations never change, even if the technology fragments do.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I don’t really consider that a huge drawback. It’s inherent in most games in the horror genre. Replaying something like SOMA wouldn’t have the same impact for the same reasons, but that doesn’t mean they’re bad or not worth the money.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Knobb Manwich posted:

Either they seem to get confused if you only have one in a locker and one in the external mount, or I'm just very lucky because Stalkers are the only predator in the game I think had any actual effort put into them :3:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

What would be the best map of the Lost River? Because I'm trying to find the disease facility and it's a bitch to navigate.
Easiest way to find the disease research facility is by taking the entrance near the gun island, it takes you literally past it. Nice open pathway, and no ghost leviathan (there's a little one a good ways in, though. And a reaper leviathan hanging around a mountain near the entrance, but it never comes close to it).

I actually built my base right on the edge of it, in fact:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there any decent strategy in-game for keeping track of where you've been? Like, on a broad scale so I know which broad sections of the map I've never been to.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there any decent strategy in-game for keeping track of where you've been? Like, on a broad scale so I know which broad sections of the map I've never been to.

Only by crafting and placing beacons, sadly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly bringing a dozen beacons with me whenever I explore and placing them roughly in the center of each biome I hit sounds more and more appealing the more I think about it. Actually processing that information and figuring out where I haven't been given the sea of beacon signals seems nightmarish though

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

U.T. Raptor posted:

Easiest way to find the disease research facility is by taking the entrance near the gun island, it takes you literally past it. Nice open pathway, and no ghost leviathan (there's a little one a good ways in, though. And a reaper leviathan hanging around a mountain near the entrance, but it never comes close to it).

I actually built my base right on the edge of it, in fact:

That's pretty. My first time around I only built functional bases.

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly bringing a dozen beacons with me whenever I explore and placing them roughly in the center of each biome I hit sounds more and more appealing the more I think about it. Actually processing that information and figuring out where I haven't been given the sea of beacon signals seems nightmarish though

Yah. You can colour beacons, hide them, or use a naming convention and rename them as their status changes. You probably should find a way to mark biomes that border the edge of the map so you know where you don't need to go further out anymore.

e: I bred one of those spider things and immediately realized my mistake. Into the reactor with you little guy.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

What would be the best map of the Lost River? Because I'm trying to find the disease facility and it's a bitch to navigate.

Also how much of the main story requires crossing path with reapers outside of the juveniles?

You know that big glowing tree under a giant fall of brine? Head up the brinefall to the thermal vents. Keep following the left side of the room and you should see a side opening. You know it's the right one if you see those alien light pylons along the path, just follow those.

As for the other question - Reapers in specific are just big predators that patrol certain areas. In my playthrough I only ever saw one and from a distance.

Ghost Leviathans, one lives in the lava tube that leads into the lava zones. If you approach through the Lost River entry, you'll never run into him (although you will have to avoid Big Salty). There are apparently Ghost Leviathans patrolling certain other sites but again, I lucked out and never saw them.

The deep lava zones, however, have a total of three of what the rest of the thread lovingly calls Super Sea Satans patrolling them. They weren't very aggressive towards my Cyclops - they mainly came around to slap me on the rear end after I'd passed them by - but they were pretty eager to come after my Prawn. Before a quick attitude readjustment via repeated application of power fist to the face, anyhow.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
By the time I got to the lava area I was so practiced at sneaking by monsters in my lumbering cyclops that none of them were really an issue. They'd take off maybe one tick of health but that's it. I don't think the Sea Satans ever attacked my cyclops either, though part of that is because the rooms you encounter them in are so huge.

I think the most nerve wracking part of the game is when all you have is the Seamoth. Before that I never really had reason to range far enough to need to worry, but after that I did and the Seamoth is so small and easy to destroy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I had way more fun exploring in the seamoth than anything else. I really wish you could take it deeper.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Does anyone else find it strange that you can take a Seamoth down to its crush depth, but then get out and swim yourself deeper? I tried taking it in the jellyshroom caves for one of the Degasi bases, hit its crush depth and went "Welp, time to get out and swim deeper."

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Minenfeld! posted:

Does anyone else find it strange that you can take a Seamoth down to its crush depth, but then get out and swim yourself deeper? I tried taking it in the jellyshroom caves for one of the Degasi bases, hit its crush depth and went "Welp, time to get out and swim deeper."

Nope, but be careful parking at at max depth.

Ive had a crab come up and push it below. Managed to get back in and get it to safety with about 5% health.

No way i wanted to be that far down with no way to get back up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Minenfeld! posted:

You also don't get the bends, ever. This game is RUINING my IMMERSION :arghfist::reject:

(god imagine how awful it would be to have to manage decompression sickness)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You also don't get the bends, ever. This game is RUINING my IMMERSION :arghfist::reject:

(god imagine how awful it would be to have to manage decompression sickness)

There's a setting you can activate with the console, but I don't know how fully it's implemented.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Not sure if it's done well but there's nitrogen in the game, some of the MORE CHALLENGE mods turn it on.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Minenfeld! posted:

It feels like this has been the main way I explore new areas so far. I don't know if it's an intentional design feature, but I keep getting pointed towards areas that I don't have the depth to reach. It definitely adds some tension and urgency to your exploration. It also makes it feel like you're always exploring right out to the very limit of what's possible, even if later on it just becomes an intermediate waypoint en route to even deeper areas.

Like my Seamoth only goes to 300m right now, so last night I parked it at 299 and hoovered my way down to a 500m base to scan some stuff (though sadly no Mk II depth module).

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It feels like this has been the main way I explore new areas so far. I don't know if it's an intentional design feature, but I keep getting pointed towards areas that I don't have the depth to reach. It definitely adds some tension and urgency to your exploration. It also makes it feel like you're always exploring right out to the very limit of what's possible, even if later on it just becomes an intermediate waypoint en route to even deeper areas.

Like my Seamoth only goes to 300m right now, so last night I parked it at 299 and hoovered my way down to a 500m base to scan some stuff (though sadly no Mk II depth module).

You have to mod the mk1. there’s no standalone mk2.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I must confess to being a total scrub and just looked up the material location for the hatching enzymes. Sometimes I just want to skip to the end when it's in sight. I completed the ship long-beforehand and I appreciate any game that lets me finish the mandatory scavenger hunt well in advance. That said the last act of the game is just "eh, you're done".

Is fixing the Aurora's drive optional?

Those Sea Dragons aren't intimidating at all when you're in the Prawn. The lava zone is pretty straightforward, you need to find the two facilities and mine enough Kyanite on the side.

I piloted the Cyclops for all of 30 seconds, and only because the game mandates you build one.

I have to pity whoever got to the Primary Facility and forgot to bring the Blue Tablet. This game can be frustrating if you go on an expedition and you're 1300 metres down when you realise you're an upgrade short. It's like Metroid if Metroid forced you to hold only half your tools at any time.

I can be very conservative and boring, like using only a tranq-gun in a stealth game, and I never once encountered an adult Ghost Leviathan. Notably the game doesn't have any Reapers on the critical-path.

I would have to said goodbye to the cuddlefish but I couldn't find the little bastard again. Probably stalker-chow.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 24, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The cyclops basically exists to ferry the Prawn around easier, I think.

And for those who just think it's cool to pilot a big submarine around. (It's me)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Adult Ghost Leviathans are only found when you get too close to the edge of the map. Also I'd disagree that there are no Reapers on the critical path, they put one quite near to the nose of the Aurora specifically to give you a scare on your way there. But yes, fixing the Aurora's reactor is optional - all it does (in practice) is remove radiation as a threat from the area around it. (So effectively makes the radsuit unnecessary.)

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
A reaper also hangs out near the huge cannon.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ded posted:

I had way more fun exploring in the seamoth than anything else. I really wish you could take it deeper.

With the full depth upgrades you can explore pretty much everything except the lava zones. The vast majority of the lost river sits above 900m

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Is fixing the Aurora's drive optional?

Fixing it is optional, but you do have to go onto the Aurora to get the plans for the Neptune rocket, so you might as well fix the drives so it stops making GBS threads up half the map with radiation. Swim charge fins and the rebreather are worth the minor trouble of fixing it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of seamoth weirdness, I like how sometimes if you get out while going at full speed you get out in front and it crashes into you and you take damage

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Sooo, was using a PRAWN in the lost river, and ran out of power. Annoying, but I’ll respawn in my base and get my Seamoth from the moonpool to collect stuff and get them both back eventually.

Except.

I woke up in a tiny, unpowered tube, an aborted base in the middle of the lost river, a long way away from my unpowered Prawn, and from the surface. Much, much too far to swim. What do I do now? Seems somewhat against the spirit of the game to “lose” and have to restart, but I can’t see any way to not just keep on dying if I can’t get back to the surface.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stumiester posted:

Sooo, was using a PRAWN in the lost river, and ran out of power. Annoying, but I’ll respawn in my base and get my Seamoth from the moonpool to collect stuff and get them both back eventually.

Except.

I woke up in a tiny, unpowered tube, an aborted base in the middle of the lost river, a long way away from my unpowered Prawn, and from the surface. Much, much too far to swim. What do I do now? Seems somewhat against the spirit of the game to “lose” and have to restart, but I can’t see any way to not just keep on dying if I can’t get back to the surface.

deconstruct the tube and die again?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Knobb Manwich posted:

Not sure if it's done well but there's nitrogen in the game, some of the MORE CHALLENGE mods turn it on.

How do these decompression changes deal with the fact the game is built around swimming outside in your scuba shorts to repair your cyclops or prawn with a handheld welder?

I've noticed the majority of actually unironic requests for stuff like "Realistically, you'd DIE outside of your vehicle that deep :reject:" never have any response for that except "Well I'm so good I don't need to worry/hurt me more daddy"

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of seamoth weirdness, I like how sometimes if you get out while going at full speed you get out in front and it crashes into you and you take damage
Up until it outright kills you in a hardcore save :v:

Don't play hardcore Subnautica, learn the painful lesson of resident posters

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Away all Goats posted:

deconstruct the tube and die again?

D’oh! Of course. Thanks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't worry I've already loaded my save multiple times I'm not even close to playing ironman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

To be honest, I can't imagine how unfun the game would be if you couldn't swim wherever you wanted regardless of depth. If they ever manage to add the bends I'd be done.