Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Also their terrible theme song was in fact written by Jimmy Hart, so y'know, thanks Jimmy

They sang one version of their theme song in WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Shiki Dan posted:

Eh, the Nasty Boys were always sort of in the right place at the right time and in with the right people (Jimmy Hart and Hulk Hogan)to get their success.

They kinda worked at this time in the WWF because they were essentially human versions of Rocksteady and Bebop from TMNT.

Rarity posted:

This is such a great comparison.

Yeah, suddenly I actually like them a little more.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

fart blood posted:

What, I see nothing abnormal

My bad, then. I had heard legend of some kind of horrific Brian Knobbs goatse picture out there (why, I don't know) and wanted to play it safe.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

My bad, then. I had heard legend of some kind of horrific Brian Knobbs goatse picture out there (why, I don't know) and wanted to play it safe.

Oh in that case I’m very disappointed I didn’t see that

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Shiki Dan posted:

They kinda worked at this time in the WWF because they were essentially human versions of Rocksteady and Bebop from TMNT.
Now, I want to see a clip where they bump on each other.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Nastys didn't do much in the AWA, didn't do much in WCW the first time, and suddenly, in the WWF, they made them champions. It was very bizarre.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I liked the Nasty Boys when I was a kid V:frogbon:V

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
So if they're Rocksteady and Bebop, which one is Seamus??

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

So if they're Rocksteady and Bebop, which one is Seamus??

He's still Rocksteady, just from the later cartoon where they actually followed the comics more closely.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

The only good thing about the Nasty Boys is their lovely 90s WCW entrance music that sounds vaguely like Skinny Puppy

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Nasty Boys are lucky "hardcore" wrestling became a thing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Nasty Boys are lucky "hardcore" wrestling became a thing.

They're even more lucky that Saggs is friends with Hogan.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sags is also Cody Rhodes' uncle by marriage

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nasty Boys had some cool looking shirts, and the Bebop and Rocksteady thing wasn't lost on my TMNT obsessed childhood self.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's time for our first recap package of the evening as we take a look at the issues between Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Rick Martel. This all starts when Martel sprays Jake with arrogance right in the eye leading to Jake receiving serious medical treatment from the staff doctors. When Jake appears on Brother Love's show it seems that he has been blinded and Martel mocks him while he stumbles around. Jake manages to grab Love and he hits the DDT and his glasses fall off to reveal that gross milky eye we saw at Survivor Series. It's a killer reveal, really well played.

But wait, what's this? We're finally seeing that blow-off match between Martel and Tito Santana that we've all been waiting for (especially you, J-Ru, you know you need this) but it's interupted when Jake shows up! Unfortunately with his suboptimal vision he goes after the wrong guy and Martel is able to scramble away to safety. Jake cuts a promo in which he warns Martel that snakes have six senses and they “always do it better in the dark”. You've already proved that to be false, dude. Just ask Tito.

Rick Martel vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts

Oh man, I'm really feeling the hype for this one. This has been a pretty intense, long-running feud and I'm really glad how much of a focus it's had throughout these last few shows. It's done wonders for Martel who's now coming on gangbusters and between him and Jake who are both solid workers I'm expecting this to be the best match of the night. Oh boy, oh boy, this should be a cracker. Ok, my enthusiasm is dampened ever so slightly when Martel gets a jobber entrance but there's still huge cheers when Jake walks out. This feels like it's important and I love that.

We get ready for things to kick off and... wait, what are... why are you... I don't...

Um, excuse me but what?

Hang on, let me check my notes... Oh. Huh. Excuse me, a slight correction.

Blindfold Match

Um.

Rarity posted:

BLINDFOLD MATCH

UM.

Rarity posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

This match was fun :colbert:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
That match was great, the build to it was pretty fun too especially when Jake revealed his eyes and he had those messed up contacts. His mannerisms and selling made you legit believe he was hurt and blind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't want to sound like I'm overreacting, but any booker who wants to pitch a blindfold match should have to walk a gauntlet of dudes kicking them in the junk before they're allowed to suggest it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Weren't the "blindfolds" actually see-through as hell, so they could've had a normal match if they wanted but still had to pretend they were totally blind?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Benne posted:

Weren't the "blindfolds" actually see-through as hell, so they could've had a normal match if they wanted but still had to pretend they were totally blind?

You can actually see light shining through the masks on the broadcast.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The setup to this match was pretty great too. Basically went

Martel: Jake, you couldn't beat me when you had two eyes, you really want a match with me now?

Jake: Yup. Here's a contract.

Martel: Hoho *signs*

Jake: It was for a blindfold match. Let's both fight while blind, rear end in a top hat.

Martel: Wait what

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Benne posted:

Kinda reminds me of Cornette's Junkyard Dog story from Mid-South.

JYD was "blinded" by the Freebirds, got the white cane, everything to make it look legit. JYD was sitting ringside one night with the Freebirds battling whoever. The Freebirds have the upperhand after the match and start going after Dog, who since he was blinded, knew something was happening but unable to defend himself. Just then, a fan jumps over the railing, draws a gun at the Freebirds and yells, "Don't worry Dog, I've got your back."

JYD was suddenly in a horrible position. If he tries to do something, even subtly, to keep the Freebirds from being shot, he's blown the angle. If he continues selling being blind, there's this guy likely to shoot the Freebirds.

Thankfully, a policeman tackled the fan before a decision had to be made.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DeathChicken posted:

The setup to this match was pretty great too. Basically went

Martel: Jake, you couldn't beat me when you had two eyes, you really want a match with me now?

Jake: Yup. Here's a contract.

Martel: Hoho *signs*

Jake: It was for a blindfold match. Let's both fight while blind, rear end in a top hat.

Martel: Wait what

Ok that's amazing :allears:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

OSW points out when Jake reaches inside the mask to adjust it, you can see his fingers through it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Kinda reminds me of Cornette's Junkyard Dog story from Mid-South.

JYD was "blinded" by the Freebirds, got the white cane, everything to make it look legit. JYD was sitting ringside one night with the Freebirds battling whoever. The Freebirds have the upperhand after the match and start going after Dog, who since he was blinded, knew something was happening but unable to defend himself. Just then, a fan jumps over the railing, draws a gun at the Freebirds and yells, "Don't worry Dog, I've got your back."

JYD was suddenly in a horrible position. If he tries to do something, even subtly, to keep the Freebirds from being shot, he's blown the angle. If he continues selling being blind, there's this guy likely to shoot the Freebirds.

Thankfully, a policeman tackled the fan before a decision had to be made.

Now that's heat :allears:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i'll say this, a blindfold match with a hot crowd that actually cares about the face makes the matches better. Daniel Bryan's match proved that too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
uuuuuuuuuuuck

Ok but seriously, what the actual gently caress? After all this build up and all this potential you go and just throw it under a loving grenade with a dumbass blindfold stip. Like, I get that it makes sense based on the feud but that's no excuse because there is never an excuse for a blindfold match. Ugh, oh my god this is going to be such trash. Welp, guess I'd better slog through it. The match gets started and Jake starts pointing around the ring and allowing the crowd to guide him towards Martel, who tries the same tactic but gets nowhere.

Imagine this for ten minutes

In an attempt to keep out of Jake's reach Martel drops to his knees and starts crawling around the ring. I'm trying not to think of the suplexes and neckbreakers that we could be seeing right now. Jake catches Martel for a moment and scrambles after him leading Martel to trip over Jake. You know what's a good idea? Taking your up-and-coming breakout midcard heel and making him stumble around in clown shoes. Martel finds Jake and whips him into the ropes but when he drops his head Jake just runs aside and around him. God, Martel, you're such a goober.

The match continues in this manner for a while with more dumb stumbling around while my loathing for everyone involved in booking this mess steadily increases. Martel bumps into Jake and hits a body slam. An actual body slam! Yay, wrestling! He tries to follow up with an elbow drop but Jake's already rolled out of the way and he eats the mat. After more wandering around Martel walks into the ref and almost attacks him until he realises Jake's not wearing a shirt. Jake starts clapping to draw Martel's attention but then moves away and sneaks up from behind to apply a wristlock. Such technical ability on display here. Martel goes back to his knees and crawls over to Damien but when he realises what he's found he flings himself away in terror. Much like me at the sight of this match.

Literally every screencap I took looks like this

Oh god, it's still going. Martel knocks Jake out of the ring and follows after him where he manages to find his way to a chair. However, he swings it wildly straight into the ringpost and just winds up stinging his fingers. You did not think this plan through, sir. Back in the ring Martel connects with an actual backbreaker and locks on the Boston Crab! Oh sweet manna of heaven. Jake powers out and nails the DDT. For a second it seems like he won't be able to find Martel for the pin but then he does and he wins and ends this godawful shitshow. Humiliating his tormentor is not enough for Jake so he caps off his victory by stealing the perfume spray and stamping on it until it's crushed. You'd better hope he didn't have that on rental, buddy. Jake finishes up by setting Damien on Martel and chasing him to the back. Thank god. Let's never speak of this again.

Holy poo poo, that was so terrible. I had such high hopes and they took all that excitement and turned it into a comedy sideshow. Just to be clear here I'm not worried about this buffoonery hurting Martel's momentum because he's a snooty midcard heel which means he can take a pantomime defeat as a one-off and still come back just as strong the next night because that's how panto works. I'm just really bummed that they took two guys who could have put on a very fun and exciting match and cut them off at the knees. That's really killed my hype for the rest of the show now.

Into the back we go for that much-heralded interview with Marla in the boys locker room. And dear god help her because she's in there with the Nasty Boys. They're celebrating their victory with Jimmy Hart, all of them ignoring her attempts to provide interview them in favour of leering and groping at her. Ew. The Mountie, Dino Bravo and Earthquake show up to join the party and they've brought champagne. Marla keeps trying to ask questions because she has journalistic integrity but she gets pushed aside as the group celebrates.

#MeToo

Jimmy Snuka vs. The Undertaker w/ Paul Bearer

Well if ever there was a match that screamed formality it's this one. Will the Undertaker lose to go 0-1 at Wrestlemania? I feel it's unlikely. Snuka gets a jobber entrance and for once I'm not going to complain because if ever there was a time at Wrestlemania to get a jobber entrance it's when you're going up against Taker. The organ plays and Taker comes out and OH poo poo LOOK WHO'S FINALLY HERE.

quote:

INTRODUCING...

All right, now the proper Undertaker experience can begin. It's just not felt right seeing him walk out with Brother Love and in a way that's weird because Taker's spent the majority of his career without a manager but for me 90s Taker is synonymous with Paul Bearer. I don't even know how much basis of fact there is for that assumption having missed out on virtually this entire decade. What this is for me is pure wrestling mythology. The backstory that was only vaguely referred to years later, half-explained and less-than-half understood. You have Taker and you have Bearer and the two are inextricably tied together.

But none of that actually tells you what I do know about Bearer. The answer is not a whole lot. He was there in my WWF Wrestlemania 2000 game but the game was outdated enough when it came out that he'd already disappeared from TV so I didn't really know who he was. I picked up on the links he had to Taker and Kane through the grapevine, I briefly saw him in '04 until he got buried under cement, I heard jokes about Edge killing him when I joined PSP in '11. It was only when I went back to watch some early Attitude Era that I really discovered Bearer and drat, was he a revelation. His promo style was so incredible, his inflection and tone was unnerving and his presence was undeniable. Taken on his own he was a great manager, but when you take the dynamic between him and Taker and Kane all together he was perfect for his role. And this is why him and Taker are so linked together because in many ways you can't imagine one without the other.

So Taker walks out with Bearer in the lead and he's got the urn and he's pasty and weird and looking remarkably svelte but all in all this loving seminal right here. The match gets underway and Taker immediately gets control, just as you'd expect. Now I'm aware that they've been calling Snuka 'the Phenom' so far so I have to wonder if Taker wins that title by beating Snuka here. Does he take the essence of all his Wrestlemania victims? Is that why his streak lasted so long? This is exactly the kind of mad bullshit you have to think about when it comes to Taker. Meanwhile, Gino wonders exactly who's ashes are being stored in the urn. Trust me, buddy, it's easier to not ask questions.

Like, just how does he make his face look that way?

The match is still all one way. Taker connects with a huge leaping clothesline. Wow, that's some serious agility for a man that size. He knocks Snuka out of the ring and then hits a suplex from the apron back to the inside. For one brief moment it looks like Snuka might get something out of this match as he gets some shots in but Taker completely no-sells them. Snuka goes for a slingshot crossbody but Taker catches him and nails the Tombstone and this is over before it barely begun.

There's not too much to be said about this one. It was great seeing the combination of Taker and Bearer together and they're keeping Taker very strong. They've done a really good job with his character across his appearances so far and he comes across like an absolute beast. I get the feeling he's being built up so he can be fed to Hulk but he still leaves more of an impact than the other short-term threats he's faced over the years. Just imagine if Zeus has ended up in this spot. Or better yet, don't. Oh, and the Tombstone looks so brutal as a finisher. I know it's because this is the 90s and no one cares about concussions or broken necks and Taker does it loads safer these days but god drat.

There is no loving protection there at all. Oww.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e) whoops i was thinking of a different match

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Undertaker and Paul Bearer have a very humorous segment with Regis Philbin later on in the show. :)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

We get ready for things to kick off and... wait, what are... why are you... I don't...

Um, excuse me but what?

Hang on, let me check my notes... Oh. Huh. Excuse me, a slight correction.

Blindfold Match

Um.

UM.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

For a second I thought this was the extra-dark ending of Doki Doki Literature Club.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Since it is more topical here, I'll ask here instead of the Random Questions thread. How did Undertaker switch from Brother Love to Paul Bearer?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hockles posted:

Since it is more topical here, I'll ask here instead of the Random Questions thread. How did Undertaker switch from Brother Love to Paul Bearer?

Undertaker was on the Brother Love Show where Love said that he couldn't give Undertaker the attention he truly needed. He introduced "Brother Bearer" as his replacement, complete with Vince on commentary losing his mind over, "His first name is Paul? Don't tell me his name is PAUL BEARER!"

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Hockles posted:

And backstage, Prichard has said on his show that Vince felt Taker needed his second on the road to continue to get strong reactions. He gave Bruce the choice of continuing along managing Taker (the basic idea was them being a yin/yang of light and dark) and going on the road full-time to make all of Taker's house show and other dates, or stop managing and only do studio, syndicated TV and PPV appearances. Bruce wanted to be off the road at the time and it was decided then to make the swap from Brother Love to Bearer.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Which reminds me, just prior to Wrestlemania is where Brother Love is permanently written off, via pissing off Warrior and getting the poo poo kicked out of him, his set torn apart, dragged to the ring, lights dropped on him, Gorilla Pressed and carried out on a stretcher. Unfortunately I can't find the video

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
In sort of a parallel with Rarity's thing here, I'd also not watched much wrestling in the early 1990s (coincidentally, I was also living in England at the time, too). So when I did catch the occasional wrestling thing in those days, I remember seeing Taker and Paul Bearer come out, and going "so Mean Mark Callous is being managed by Percy Pringle III now?" :v:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

To add to the Jake/Martel angle, there was some TV special they aired a week or so before Wrestlemania 7 that was the 1991 version of a go-home Raw. It featured a fantastic moment of character work from Martel. The idea was that he was going to have a blindfold match against Koko B. Ware, which was an incredibly fair idea. After all, Jake had gotten by without being able to see and that would put him at an advantage in the WM7 match. Martel was given the chance to get used to the stipulation which would arguably either give him a leg up on Jake or make them even.

So what did Martel do? The moment Koko put on his blindfold, Martel jumped him and laughingly just kicked the poo poo out of him. Koko couldn't tell what was going on, Heenan thought it was hilarious on commentary and Martel got to be a big jerk.

And he paid the price for it.

But I still love the whole angle, even if the match needed to be cut down a few minutes. Jake vs. Martel was never a question. If Jake got his hands on Martel, Martel was loving dead. Ergo, make a match where Jake getting his hands on Martel was the challenge.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
YOU GUYS I'VE BEEN SO HYPE TO POST THIS ENTRY FOR YOU :supaburn:

---

We're coming up to the next of our big money matches but before we get there it's time for a recap package for the feud between The Ultimate Warrior and Randy Savage. We first watch as Savage interferes in one of Warrior's matches to take him out with the sceptre from the top rope. And from there it's all familiar territory. Sherri goes down to convince Warrior for a title shot but he refuses. Sherri and Savage scheme to cost Warrior the title. It's all still so loving rad.

Career-Ending Match
Randy Savage w/ Sensational Sherri vs. The Ultimate Warrior

Ok boys, we are currently 0-2 for my hyped-up matches delivering so there's a lot on the line here. I'm not saying you need to single handedly deliver to decide my enjoyment for this show but I'll be well pissed if this sucks. So no pressure. But genuinely there is so much at play here. I said after WM6 that this was THE big money match left and that alone has got me so drawn in. Who's going win? Will it be any good? Then you add the retirement stip on top and I'm tense as hell over here. And if that wasn't enough Heenan's about to add another wrinkle to all this madness. Because guess who he's just spotted in the crowd.

Oooooooooooh!

That's right, where Savage goes Elizabeth can never be that far behind so she's here tonight and she's looking very nervous. How's she going to come into things? Oh god, the intrigue! Savage and Sherri are out first and they've got the thrones and the palanquin being carried by the hot topless dudes and they look absolutely boss. God, just from coming to the ring they have so much presence and so much charisma, they're just a perfect fit for each other. Please don't break them up, guys. I'm scared for this match because I don't want Savage to go but I don't want Sherri to leave him either.

The big match feel is really starting to come out now. The crowd's already amped up before Warrior's music hits and when it starts they lose it. Warrior shows up and for the first time ever he walks to the ring, it really helps to sell the magnitude of the occasion. Another thing that helps is the mega tasselled coat that he's wearing, which looks super cool. Can we count this as our first example of an amped up Wrestlemania entrance? Great, now I know who to blame for all those years of Triple H's Conan cosplay. As well as the coat Warrior's got special ring gear as well. His kneepads have got pictures of himself and Savage on. It's all very Rick Rude and that's not the only way that Warrior's paying homage to my boy tonight...

But what means more than the WWF Title? This is not good communication!

The bell rings and we are ready to roll here. Savage runs into a shoulder block from Warrior, who follows with a Manhattan drop and an atomic drop back-to-back. It's not a good time to be Savage's squishy parts. Warrior continues to throw Savage all around the ring while Savage bumps his rear end off. He's working so hard to make Warrior look good, much like Rude used to do back in the day. Warrior picks Savage up just as Sherri slides into the ring but Warrior sees her coming and he drops Savage into her. Dude! You really should chill on the Sherri abuse. Ok, I'm getting good vibes about this match. Everyone's clearly giving it their all here.

This has all been seriously one way so far. For a moment it looks like Savage will turn it around as he connects with a clothesline but then he goes for a flying crossbody and Warrior catches him out of the air. Except instead of going for a big power move Warrior just drops him on his feet and straight up slaps him. loving ace. Savage is getting pretty pissed off now. He goes outside to toss a chair into the ring but the ref has it scouted and takes it away. Warrior tries a stinger splash but Savage dodges out the way and he goes flying over the turnbuckle to the outside. Sensing her opportunity Sherri stalks over to give him a slap and... oh jesus Sherri, it's time we had some words.

Ok, Sherri. You're a lovely lady and you're great at what you do and none of us are going to disagree with that. And yes, you have a great body as well and if you want to show it off then we don't have the right to judge you. You're a strong, independent woman and you should not be shamed for expressing your sexuality. All of that said, this dress you're wearing is a goddam atrocity that should never have been conceived. It looks like you've been attacked with a shredder. By Shredder.

Or perhaps when you bought it you just had to pay for the fabric by the inch

With Warrior tied up with Sherri on the outside Savage goes up top and hits a double axe handle to the outside. Then Sherri starts going totally nutso on Warrior but it's not like it's doing much damange and he ends up so bored of the whole thing that he full on shoves her to the floor. Whoa, dude! What did I say about laying off the violence to women? While this is going on Gino announces that Wrestlemania VII has pulled the largest PPV audience in history. And no, he doesn't mean in WWF history. Yes, Wrestlemania VII has pulled in the largest audience for any PPV ever. Except it hasn't. I checked Wikipedia and WM7 did 400,000 buys. It's not even the best performing Wrestlemania. This is weird, I don't think I've ever seen an entire company with an inferiority complex before.

Back in the ring the action continues as Warrior catches a kick from Savage and responds with a clothesline. He winds up to engage his finishing sequence with a shoulder tackle but Savage dodges out of the way! Yes, nice one! Savage locks in a long rest hold but in time Warrior breaks out and both men collide in a double clothesline. Both men down! Ok, this is getting legit now. They get back to their feet and Warrior rolls Savage up in a small package! But the ref's busy clearing Sherri from the ring! Yeesh, my heart. Warrior goes to get the ref's attention and Savage knocks them into each other and you know what means...

~SHENANIGANS~

That's right, it's all on the table now. Sherri goes up top with one of her shoes but Warrior dodges and she takes out Savage instead. No! Warrior goes after Sherri but Savage rolls him up from behind. Savage nails a jumping necksnap and then he goes up top and hits the Flying Elbow Drop! Then he hits another Flying Elbow Drop. AND THEN HE HITS A THIRD FLYING ELBOW DROP! What's that? You think he's done? Oh, Savage is never done. He goes back up top for a fourth time and nails the Flying Elbow Drop yet again. STOP! STOP! HE'S ALREADY DEAD! But there is no stopping Savage as he goes for it one more time and hits the fifth Flying Elbow Drop in a row. Dear god, loving hell. Then after all that beating and all that punishment Savage finally goes for the pin... and Warrior kicks out. Wow, what the gently caress was all that about. That was ridiculous.

Now that Savage has piled on everything he's got there's nothing left to do but for Warrior to bring it home. He starts up his no-selling routine and connects with a series of clotheslines. He follows up with the Press Slam and a splash AND SAVAGE KICKS OUT! Holy poo poo. Ok, I did not see that coming. And neither did Warrior apparently because he's absolutely stunned. This is the first time anyone's kicked out of the Press Slam and he does not know how to deal. He looks up to the sky and the aliens and the UFOs and he just doesn't get it. This is some serious high-school level acting going on here.

“My god, my god! Why hast thou forsaken me?”

Savage kicking out of the Press Slam has just broken Warrior's brain and he doesn't know what else to do so he just walks off. He starts climbing through the ropes and the ref's arguing with him and it looks like he's about to abandon the match when Savage interrupts by attacking him. Noooo! Just take the countout win! Savage takes it to Warrior on the outside and sets his neck over the barricade while he goes up top just like he did with Ricky Steamboat back in the day. Savage jumps off and Warrior strikes him in the gut leaving Savage to land hard. This encourages Warrior to stay and he rolls Savage back in the ring for a series of shoulder tackles then stands on top of him to get the three count. Boo! Booooo! I knew this would be the result but booooo!

With his future career secure Warrior celebrates for a while but at this point it's not really about him any more so he departs soon enough. This leaves Savage still out of it in the ring while Sherri slides in and she is pissed as hell. And then with nowhere else to vent her frustration Sherri starts giving Savage a kicking! Nooo! This isn't what I wanted! So Sherri's laying the boots in to Savage but Elizabeth has seen enough! She jumps the barricade and charges into the ring! Aaaaa! Elizabeth grabs Sherri and tosses her out of the ring then she goes to look after Savage. Except he doesn't realise who she is so he pushes her away and raises a fist but then he twigs that it's Elizabeth and he starts freaking out. Sherri gets dragged away by the ref while Elizabeth is in tears and Savage is looking at her in shock and he's so conflicted and... and...

...well, just loving watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu5Zi2HuBww

ALL

MY

FEELS.

Oh my god, this whole thing was amazing. Everything about it was fantastic from the entrances through the match to everything that happened after. If this is the end for Savage then they couldn't have given him a better ending. This tied together his entire arc right through from his debut and pulled it together into an incredibly moving happy ending while allowing Savage to have a huge goodbye with the fans as a face in the way that he deserved. While we often talk about how the main title should always close the show, this really should have been the main event tonight. There's no way that Hulk and Slaughter could come close to the drama and the emotion that we just went through here.

So we come to the main question: is Savage actually done? That's an interesting one because the honest answer is that I don't know. I do know that he ends up in WCW towards the end of the 90s for a run there and I have half-heard memories of things to come in future shows but I don't know how much of that is correct. So as far as I'm concerned this could be the last time I see Savage in the ring for a proper run. And you know what? If that's the case then I'm ok with that. He was WWF champion for a year. He headlined two Wrestlemanias. He got one of the best send-offs that you could ask for. It's not as much as he deserved but it's still a hell of a lot. He's been an ever-present since our first year of PPVs and things aren't going to feel right without him.

We'll never forget the Madness.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Savage was so good at getting the best out of people. That match gave us a really good glimpse of what Warrior could have been, too, if he'd given a poo poo but I don't really think he did.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

YOU GUYS I'VE BEEN SO HYPE TO POST THIS ENTRY FOR YOU :supaburn:

---

We're coming up to the next of our big money matches but before we get there it's time for a recap package for the feud between The Ultimate Warrior and Randy Savage. We first watch as Savage interferes in one of Warrior's matches to take him out with the sceptre from the top rope. And from there it's all familiar territory. Sherri goes down to convince Warrior for a title shot but he refuses. Sherri and Savage scheme to cost Warrior the title. It's all still so loving rad.

Career-Ending Match
Randy Savage w/ Sensational Sherri vs. The Ultimate Warrior

Ok boys, we are currently 0-2 for my hyped-up matches delivering so there's a lot on the line here. I'm not saying you need to single handedly deliver to decide my enjoyment for this show but I'll be well pissed if this sucks. So no pressure. But genuinely there is so much at play here. I said after WM6 that this was THE big money match left and that alone has got me so drawn in. Who's going win? Will it be any good? Then you add the retirement stip on top and I'm tense as hell over here. And if that wasn't enough Heenan's about to add another wrinkle to all this madness. Because guess who he's just spotted in the crowd.

Oooooooooooh!

That's right, where Savage goes Elizabeth can never be that far behind so she's here tonight and she's looking very nervous. How's she going to come into things? Oh god, the intrigue! Savage and Sherri are out first and they've got the thrones and the palanquin being carried by the hot topless dudes and they look absolutely boss. God, just from coming to the ring they have so much presence and so much charisma, they're just a perfect fit for each other. Please don't break them up, guys. I'm scared for this match because I don't want Savage to go but I don't want Sherri to leave him either.

The big match feel is really starting to come out now. The crowd's already amped up before Warrior's music hits and when it starts they lose it. Warrior shows up and for the first time ever he walks to the ring, it really helps to sell the magnitude of the occasion. Another thing that helps is the mega tasselled coat that he's wearing, which looks super cool. Can we count this as our first example of an amped up Wrestlemania entrance? Great, now I know who to blame for all those years of Triple H's Conan cosplay. As well as the coat Warrior's got special ring gear as well. His kneepads have got pictures of himself and Savage on. It's all very Rick Rude and that's not the only way that Warrior's paying homage to my boy tonight...

But what means more than the WWF Title? This is not good communication!

The bell rings and we are ready to roll here. Savage runs into a shoulder block from Warrior, who follows with a Manhattan drop and an atomic drop back-to-back. It's not a good time to be Savage's squishy parts. Warrior continues to throw Savage all around the ring while Savage bumps his rear end off. He's working so hard to make Warrior look good, much like Rude used to do back in the day. Warrior picks Savage up just as Sherri slides into the ring but Warrior sees her coming and he drops Savage into her. Dude! You really should chill on the Sherri abuse. Ok, I'm getting good vibes about this match. Everyone's clearly giving it their all here.

This has all been seriously one way so far. For a moment it looks like Savage will turn it around as he connects with a clothesline but then he goes for a flying crossbody and Warrior catches him out of the air. Except instead of going for a big power move Warrior just drops him on his feet and straight up slaps him. loving ace. Savage is getting pretty pissed off now. He goes outside to toss a chair into the ring but the ref has it scouted and takes it away. Warrior tries a stinger splash but Savage dodges out the way and he goes flying over the turnbuckle to the outside. Sensing her opportunity Sherri stalks over to give him a slap and... oh jesus Sherri, it's time we had some words.

Ok, Sherri. You're a lovely lady and you're great at what you do and none of us are going to disagree with that. And yes, you have a great body as well and if you want to show it off then we don't have the right to judge you. You're a strong, independent woman and you should not be shamed for expressing your sexuality. All of that said, this dress you're wearing is a goddam atrocity that should never have been conceived. It looks like you've been attacked with a shredder. By Shredder.

Or perhaps when you bought it you just had to pay for the fabric by the inch

With Warrior tied up with Sherri on the outside Savage goes up top and hits a double axe handle to the outside. Then Sherri starts going totally nutso on Warrior but it's not like it's doing much damange and he ends up so bored of the whole thing that he full on shoves her to the floor. Whoa, dude! What did I say about laying off the violence to women? While this is going on Gino announces that Wrestlemania VII has pulled the largest PPV audience in history. And no, he doesn't mean in WWF history. Yes, Wrestlemania VII has pulled in the largest audience for any PPV ever. Except it hasn't. I checked Wikipedia and WM7 did 400,000 buys. It's not even the best performing Wrestlemania. This is weird, I don't think I've ever seen an entire company with an inferiority complex before.

Back in the ring the action continues as Warrior catches a kick from Savage and responds with a clothesline. He winds up to engage his finishing sequence with a shoulder tackle but Savage dodges out of the way! Yes, nice one! Savage locks in a long rest hold but in time Warrior breaks out and both men collide in a double clothesline. Both men down! Ok, this is getting legit now. They get back to their feet and Warrior rolls Savage up in a small package! But the ref's busy clearing Sherri from the ring! Yeesh, my heart. Warrior goes to get the ref's attention and Savage knocks them into each other and you know what means...

~SHENANIGANS~

That's right, it's all on the table now. Sherri goes up top with one of her shoes but Warrior dodges and she takes out Savage instead. No! Warrior goes after Sherri but Savage rolls him up from behind. Savage nails a jumping necksnap and then he goes up top and hits the Flying Elbow Drop! Then he hits another Flying Elbow Drop. AND THEN HE HITS A THIRD FLYING ELBOW DROP! What's that? You think he's done? Oh, Savage is never done. He goes back up top for a fourth time and nails the Flying Elbow Drop yet again. STOP! STOP! HE'S ALREADY DEAD! But there is no stopping Savage as he goes for it one more time and hits the fifth Flying Elbow Drop in a row. Dear god, loving hell. Then after all that beating and all that punishment Savage finally goes for the pin... and Warrior kicks out. Wow, what the gently caress was all that about. That was ridiculous.

Now that Savage has piled on everything he's got there's nothing left to do but for Warrior to bring it home. He starts up his no-selling routine and connects with a series of clotheslines. He follows up with the Press Slam and a splash AND SAVAGE KICKS OUT! Holy poo poo. Ok, I did not see that coming. And neither did Warrior apparently because he's absolutely stunned. This is the first time anyone's kicked out of the Press Slam and he does not know how to deal. He looks up to the sky and the aliens and the UFOs and he just doesn't get it. This is some serious high-school level acting going on here.

“My god, my god! Why hast thou forsaken me?”

Savage kicking out of the Press Slam has just broken Warrior's brain and he doesn't know what else to do so he just walks off. He starts climbing through the ropes and the ref's arguing with him and it looks like he's about to abandon the match when Savage interrupts by attacking him. Noooo! Just take the countout win! Savage takes it to Warrior on the outside and sets his neck over the barricade while he goes up top just like he did with Ricky Steamboat back in the day. Savage jumps off and Warrior strikes him in the gut leaving Savage to land hard. This encourages Warrior to stay and he rolls Savage back in the ring for a series of shoulder tackles then stands on top of him to get the three count. Boo! Booooo! I knew this would be the result but booooo!

With his future career secure Warrior celebrates for a while but at this point it's not really about him any more so he departs soon enough. This leaves Savage still out of it in the ring while Sherri slides in and she is pissed as hell. And then with nowhere else to vent her frustration Sherri starts giving Savage a kicking! Nooo! This isn't what I wanted! So Sherri's laying the boots in to Savage but Elizabeth has seen enough! She jumps the barricade and charges into the ring! Aaaaa! Elizabeth grabs Sherri and tosses her out of the ring then she goes to look after Savage. Except he doesn't realise who she is so he pushes her away and raises a fist but then he twigs that it's Elizabeth and he starts freaking out. Sherri gets dragged away by the ref while Elizabeth is in tears and Savage is looking at her in shock and he's so conflicted and... and...

...well, just loving watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu5Zi2HuBww

ALL

MY

FEELS.

Oh my god, this whole thing was amazing. Everything about it was fantastic from the entrances through the match to everything that happened after. If this is the end for Savage then they couldn't have given him a better ending. This tied together his entire arc right through from his debut and pulled it together into an incredibly moving happy ending while allowing Savage to have a huge goodbye with the fans as a face in the way that he deserved. While we often talk about how the main title should always close the show, this really should have been the main event tonight. There's no way that Hulk and Slaughter could come close to the drama and the emotion that we just went through here.

So we come to the main question: is Savage actually done? That's an interesting one because the honest answer is that I don't know. I do know that he ends up in WCW towards the end of the 90s for a run there and I have half-heard memories of things to come in future shows but I don't know how much of that is correct. So as far as I'm concerned this could be the last time I see Savage in the ring for a proper run. And you know what? If that's the case then I'm ok with that. He was WWF champion for a year. He headlined two Wrestlemanias. He got one of the best send-offs that you could ask for. It's not as much as he deserved but it's still a hell of a lot. He's been an ever-present since our first year of PPVs and things aren't going to feel right without him.

We'll never forget the Madness.

Though I became a fan of wrestling literally 2 weeks before this PPV, this was the first match that I saw that I actually LOVED and was emotionally invested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's bullshit either way, but I THINK Gorilla means that WMVII had the largest POTENTIAL PPV audience ever. As in it was available to the most number of people, so would be the biggest if every possible one bought it. Because that's at least plausible to claim in the moment. Claiming it has the most buys WHILE THE SHOW IS AIRING? That's absurd because that's not how calculating that works. They wouldn't know that for at least a few days if not a few weeks.