Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Amechwarrior posted:

One thing to be said about not reserving - Damage resolution is instantaneous in HBS, compared to simultaneous on TT. So if/when you move your unit first to fire, if you can kill/cripple an enemy unit before it takes its turn, it's out and will never get to go. In TT, that unit wouldn't know it's dead until all the fire declarations are finished and rolled. Once you learn how to use the reserve system, it's a much more nuanced learning curve to figure out when not to reserve. You can move first to knockdown a vulnerable unit, which delays its turn by one phase and allows more of your units to make called shots on it.

Yeah, it seems like the change to an instantaneous damage system provides an important counter-incentive to reserving.

double riveting posted:

Ah, so reserving is best understood as shortening the time until you go again. The lighter the Mech, the shorter they can go.

Cool, thanks guys. Will watch that LP.

Basically.

If a mech acts on the 1-beat, then there will ALWAYS be 4 initiative beats between actions (though still variability within the beat).
If a mech acts on 5 then it can choose to go before any* other mechs (exploiting positioning) OR reserve, allowing them to both see if new opportunities open up and potentially shorten their cadence between actions, meaning there can be anywhere between 4 and 0 beats between action opportunities.

Initiative becomes an advantage both in terms of action order and action economy, and the way the system is designed you essentially trade one for the other which keeps it somewhat balanced.

Man, thinking about it again makes me really excited for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Stream should be live soon. Join us in discord (link in the op) to discuss it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

im hype to shot a robit

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
countdown to robotits mod

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

rt4 posted:

countdown to robotits mod

Roboobs

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Whilst obviously being aware that the games industry likes to crunch, I'd never really thought about it before.

It's obvious why the treat their employees like poo poo and pay them the least they can, but why do they also enforce such inefficient work schedules? Why this industry in particular when pretty well everyone else has know this is a bad idea for coming on a century?

Middle-management can look good to their bosses if they can prove they've been working hard, and saying "we've been staying late" is a good way to prove that because few, if any, upper management types have any familiarity with what it is that you're actually doing.

Also, a lot of game dev companies deliberately fire their programmers after games launch so that a new crew can be rotated in - if you just get rid of employees after crunching them through the bad zone you don't take as much of a hit to productivity! (You still do though, because the new guys have to work through the spaghetti code your old guys produced.)

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/241584042?t=01h18m40s

Here's the twitch stream starting at the beginning of the BT content. They went over the very, very basics for new viewers. I wish they could have done so after passing over the first few movement turns so they could get to the action bits and actually show some combat, but maybe next time. Not a lot of new info for people already tracking the game and played the beta.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Amechwarrior posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/241584042?t=01h18m40s

Here's the twitch stream starting at the beginning of the BT content. They went over the very, very basics for new viewers. I wish they could have done so after passing over the first few movement turns so they could get to the action bits and actually show some combat, but maybe next time. Not a lot of new info for people already tracking the game and played the beta.

At this point I suspect they're mostly trying to build hype for the general release. I can see prioritizing putting on a good show for people who still need to be introduced over revealing fine details for the people who are already heavily invested.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cyrano4747 posted:

At this point I suspect they're mostly trying to build hype for the general release. I can see prioritizing putting on a good show for people who still need to be introduced over revealing fine details for the people who are already heavily invested.
Yeah but they are not putting on a good show. Its a long, boring, talky stream. I want to see someone actually do a mission, from start to finish, in less than an hour and fifteen minutes. I want to see the game, not someone explain the basics. We've been chatting in discord about some of the stuff and one thing that absolutely kills me is that the Paradox streamer kept calling his mechs by the pilot name. I may know more than people who are completely new to the genre, but :cmon:, you should know some of the game before you stream it....learn the loving difference between a mech and a pilot. Otherwise people who watch this may learn bad habits and end up complaining about it. And for veterans of the series who want more, its just a huge waste of time....they should want fans of the franchise being excited about it and sharing the stream with their friends, but I will not share that travesty with my friends because I dont want them to waste an hour and fifteen minutes of their lives to see three rounds of combat!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sure, and that's fine. But hopefully since this might be a weekly series, this is the last time we have to sit through the "this is an autocannon, it shoots bullets at bad guys" bits, because basically everything has been focused at that demographic so far. Sooner or later, even that demographic will get tired of the same thing over and over.

As it stands, it's fine. It was the first of the series, it can rehash the same stuff as before, because it has to. If you're someone who has been following the process or has played the beta/seen gameplay footage, it's almost certainly not worth watching, as it won't really show you anything you don't know and the presentation is pretty tediously paced. If the following weeks actually build up and have some amount of action and higher level thought to it, it could very well end up being something entertaining for the rest of us too.

[EDIT] And yeah, I would never share that stream with my friends to try and get them hype on it. They would shut it off in less than 5 minutes. It was aggressively boring, which is impressive when the product the guy was showing off was giant laser robot fights.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 22, 2018

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its a long, boring, talky stream.

This. Gave up after 5 minutes, I'd rather shoot some robots.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Given that most of the people who watch that stream in general play Paradox's other spergy strategy games and it was explicity angled as an introduction to basic combat strategy (which they actually overviewed quite well) I don't think that it was the worst presentation. I would have rather seen some faster paced SP content with less talking but equally I know people who I could show that video to and get them excited (they're basically all TT gaming nerds but I don't think any of them have ever played a BT game)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Serious question: who are the people watching Twitch streams of an upcoming strategy game that need their hands held through the absolute basics? If you're an HBS follower you're already a fan of RPGs and if you're a Paradox follower you're a fan of the most obtuse strategy games on the planet, so I'm not sure who an hour of "here is how you click on robots" is supposed to appeal to.

^^^Edit: I mean, I guess, but if you've played Crusader Kings I don't think "move four robots around" is gonna trip you up for that long.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I know that I wouldn't want to show it to any of my friends who have no Battletech or TT experience. They'd just turn it off. It's like someone reading tax code to you. Even if you need it to understand the task at hand, you're not going to sit through it unless you desperately need to. Even if you're just there for the giant robot fights you're not going to sit through 40 minutes of rambling to watch the first shot.

As Amechwarrior pointed out on Discord, there are plenty of people on youtube who have done introductions just as in-depth or more in far, far less time before they got to the good stuff.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
All tell and no show. These guys should never GM.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phrosphors lp is what I link to people who are curious about the game.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft1mzn0FyJ0

This one is still my standard for showing new people. They get to shooting in under 20 min vs today's stream that took over 30 (out of an hour time limit) and actually explained more by just letting the dude play instead of over analyzing every click before executing. That to me is a much more exciting way to get the basics down and get to the fun parts. Next time, I'd say just start the stream at first enemy contact and actually show the tactics in action instead of talking about the potentials.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Analyzing->Explaining———>Analplaining

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Amechwarrior posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft1mzn0FyJ0

This one is still my standard for showing new people. They get to shooting in under 20 min vs today's stream that took over 30 (out of an hour time limit) and actually explained more by just letting the dude play instead of over analyzing every click before executing. That to me is a much more exciting way to get the basics down and get to the fun parts. Next time, I'd say just start the stream at first enemy contact and actually show the tactics in action instead of talking about the potentials.

If you click on this and see that it is the yogscast and it makes you want to to turn it off stick with it. Ben, the guy playing, is just so excited to play Battletech, he is a tabletop and MegaMech veteran and knows his stuff. This leaves the guy not playing to ask Mitch questions while Ben just revels in his glee to play a new Battletech game. It’s easily the best advertisement for the game out there so far.

Edit: Fixed phone posting typos

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 24, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Man that guy is so pumped, its completely adorable.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

If you click on this and see that it is the yogscast and it makes you want to to turn it off stick with it. Ben, the guy playing, is just so excited to play Battletexh, he is a tabletop and meganech veteran and knows his stuff. This leaves the guy not playing to ask Mitch questions while Ben just revels in his glee to play a new Battletech game. It’s easily the best advertisement for the game out there so far.

I strongly dislike yogcast, but this video is fantastic. Everyone is genuinely super excited and it shows.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I ended up pre-ordering :negative:

I've seen other people playing the game, but when I try to play it says it's not out yet. Do I have to opt in to a beta?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

IAmThatIs posted:

I've seen other people playing the game, but when I try to play it says it's not out yet. Do I have to opt in to a beta?

The beta was a genuine Skirmish mode testing beta. Some people backed up the files before beta ended and can still play it offline.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They ended the beta a few months ago, but they also let players know ahead of time when the shut-off patch was coming so canny folks could disable updates.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

IAmThatIs posted:

This is probably the one pre order you won't regret, given HBS track record.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Serious question: who are the people watching Twitch streams of an upcoming strategy game that need their hands held through the absolute basics? If you're an HBS follower you're already a fan of RPGs and if you're a Paradox follower you're a fan of the most obtuse strategy games on the planet, so I'm not sure who an hour of "here is how you click on robots" is supposed to appeal to.

^^^Edit: I mean, I guess, but if you've played Crusader Kings I don't think "move four robots around" is gonna trip you up for that long.

Loads of people, which is why we had to do a basic video first before we could cover other subjects. Since we're the publisher we have to do a lot of expectation management so people don't buy a game expecting something very different. And sim-game strats and mechlab things rely on you knowing what the different weapon types are, how armor works and movement mechanics, so it was pretty important to cover that stuff at the start. Oh and making sure that the setup and conversation with HBS worked well, I didn't want to risk laggy remote desktops and audio dropouts on fresh content.
But like I said at the start, it's not a stream for people that played the backer beta and have been keeping track of updates and other QA streams. You'll get stuff later.

The video is essentially an excuse for new viewers next week that will tune in and not understand anything, now we have something to link to.

cKnoor fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 24, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Link to that yogscast stream too, it's v compelling.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Phrosphor posted:

If you click on this and see that it is the yogscast and it makes you want to to turn it off stick with it. Ben, the guy playing, is just so excited to play Battletech, he is a tabletop and MegaMech veteran and knows his stuff. This leaves the guy not playing to ask Mitch questions while Ben just revels in his glee to play a new Battletech game. It’s easily the best advertisement for the game out there so far.

Edit: Fixed phone posting typos

That and the following one are very good introductory videos yeah. Also they have the best bug ever when the mission ends with a player victory through DFA and a giant red MISSION FAILED appears in the middle of the screen.

I just hope the DFA animation will somehow change from jumpjet+regular melee attack in the final product, although it may be weird to find a proper animation for it, since the 'mechs are so appropriately clunky.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I'd successfully achieved a detached enthusiasm, but then I watched the yogscast video.

Now every moment is an exercise in excruciating awareness that I will have to wait probably at least a month to play this cool giant robot game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Now go watch Phros' LP and increase the pain further.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hawgh posted:

I'd successfully achieved a detached enthusiasm, but then I watched the yogscast video.

Now every moment is an exercise in excruciating awareness that I will have to wait probably at least a month to play this cool giant robot game.

This is why I won’t watch it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Remember that feeling when you were a little kid and the calendar kicked around to about December 10-ish? You loving KNEW christmas was right around the corner and you couldn't loving wait but it was still far enough out that you just had to try to suppress the excitement because otherwise you'd go insane.

Congrats on doing that to a 35 year old man.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm even going to wait until a week post release so that they've probably patched out game-breaking jank. Shadowrun hong kong was in a sorry state for months post release

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I'm even going to wait until a week post release so that they've probably patched out game-breaking jank. Shadowrun hong kong was in a sorry state for months post release

If it was in a sorry state for months, what is denying yourself a week of gameplay and then dealing with the jank anyway going to solve. :thunk:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think this might be my most anticipated game of the decade. That sounds like hyperbole, even to me, but the last time I can remember being this excited in the leadup to a release was Mass Effect 2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
April will be a great month for srpg robit fighting games between this and another Super Robot Wars game releasing in English.

The tricky part will be figuring out which to play first :ohdear:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I've never actually played super robot wars, apart from a battle moon wars knock off over a decade ago that made no sense, but was pretty good. Might check it out, as I'm currently playing Vandal Hearts at the moment and will finish it in about a week. Need that tactical RPG poo poo injected directly into my veins.

Also, I was watching Phrosphor's Let's Play videos and after he gets a nice hit on a firestarter, he mentions trying to get more headshots with indirect LRM fire. I do remember called shots getting "blocked" by other parts that were in between the part you called and your mech. I'm wondering if the same principle applies to the direction the LRMs are coming form (more likely to hit the head through indirect fire).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

School Nickname posted:

I've never actually played super robot wars, apart from a battle moon wars knock off over a decade ago that made no sense, but was pretty good. Might check it out, as I'm currently playing Vandal Hearts at the moment and will finish it in about a week. Need that tactical RPG poo poo injected directly into my veins.

Also, I was watching Phrosphor's Let's Play videos and after he gets a nice hit on a firestarter, he mentions trying to get more headshots with indirect LRM fire. I do remember called shots getting "blocked" by other parts that were in between the part you called and your mech. I'm wondering if the same principle applies to the direction the LRMs are coming form (more likely to hit the head through indirect fire).

Super Robot Wars V came out in English last year and is really solid. You have to buy iy through a Singapore PSN account (which is super easy to set up) or import it through Play-Asia because the rights are a goddamn mess in the West though.

X(the upcoming one) also looks rad as hell but is basically as far away from Battletech as you can get while still being a turn based SRPG about robots.:v:

Though a bunch of SRW games do feature the og designs that make up a good chunk of the 'unseen' since Macross is a pretty common series.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

If it was in a sorry state for months, what is denying yourself a week of gameplay and then dealing with the jank anyway going to solve. :thunk:

Game-breaking jank, as in stuff making the game literally impossible to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I should not have watched that Yogscast video. I was doing just fine before, but now... ugh. Can't wait to play with the campaign/mercenary stuff instead of just skirmish. I think it's going to add a lot of depth.