Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Valeyard posted:

i passed the coding tests for both companies, next stage is phone interviews

god bless

i really want to get out of current job

best of luck!

I don't know if I have stockholm syndrome or what. I don't want to leave but things are garbage right now and likely not to improve in the next six months. If I do get a new job it will most likely be downtown and I dread even thinking about the commute. every time there's a glimmer of hope at my current job something equally stupid happens. I found out today that there is a major deadline for a deliverable in a couple months. we're supposed to be implementing SAFe as part of this reorg, and it's still not complete one year later. not that it matters. none of the po's, dev's, managers, scrum masters were consulted about the deadline before they were told it. the only upshot on this insanity is that heads should roll when it fails and there's a couple high level targets who will go first and are responsible for a lot of the problems we're dealing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TerminalRaptor posted:

best of luck!

I don't know if I have stockholm syndrome or what. I don't want to leave but things are garbage right now and likely not to improve in the next six months. If I do get a new job it will most likely be downtown and I dread even thinking about the commute. every time there's a glimmer of hope at my current job something equally stupid happens. I found out today that there is a major deadline for a deliverable in a couple months. we're supposed to be implementing SAFe as part of this reorg, and it's still not complete one year later. not that it matters. none of the po's, dev's, managers, scrum masters were consulted about the deadline before they were told it. the only upshot on this insanity is that heads should roll when it fails and there's a couple high level targets who will go first and are responsible for a lot of the problems we're dealing with.

It's hilarious how often high level management in lovely organisations seem to think that software developer's estimates do not matter when it comes to estimating time to develop software. Usually they're old timers who think tech companies are like any other business and can be run entirely top down.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dongslayer. posted:

do you tell them why at this point

i didn't at the time but I would these days. if no one tells them that their bad choices have consequences how will they know

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

qhat posted:

It's hilarious how often high level management in lovely organisations seem to think that software developer's estimates do not matter when it comes to estimating time to develop software. Usually they're old timers who think tech companies are like any other business and can be run entirely top down.

my current job pulls this on me a lot and here's what I do: slip the deadline and tell them it was their fault for not listening to me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HoboMan posted:

so I've never done this before, how do you sneak off for interviews during the week?

for phone screens and initial contacts, i used to just vanish to a local bar. their backyard was unused during business hours, and work could easily explain my absence as being tobacco or coffee-related

for the actual interview, well, everyone has an inkling by then

phone in sick or schedule vacation

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have to wait until summer to move because i got a pretty good bonus this year but they claim it back if you leave within 6 months of receipt :smith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pendragon posted:

I wrote earlier about using JavaScript without typescript and how it was doable with some minor difficulties.

after spending the past week trying to understand a bad contractor's code I'm now convinced that doing a large scale JavaScript project without any typing is doable only if you're the only programmer and you are as strict as gently caress with your variables and properties. any sense of fun and creativity is lost as I'm just struggling to figure out what this guy was doing and it's made all the more difficult by the fact that I have no clue what's in any given variable without a debugger, and even that fails because sometimes one object can have two sets of properties depending on the application state. it's drained any desire I had to work with this codebase.

even worse my boss has said many times that he doesn't miss types and loves the new codebase.

time to start hunting in earnest I guess.

javascript was only ever intended to open pop up windows and close pop up windows. anything beyond that is an abuse of the language

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I dont want to work with JavaScript or rails really.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript front end is unavoidable at this point, but if you see rails run away as fast as you can.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I will never write a javascript

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shaggar posted:

javascript front end is unavoidable at this point, but if you see rails run away as fast as you can.

my experience with rails is that there’s a hell of a lot of awful legacy apps written in it

I want to do not-rails but most of my exp is in rails and some js. what do I do

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
learn c# and asp.net

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
shaggar I may take you up on that as there's a decent number of C# shops around here that I wouldn't mind getting into. finding time to try out C# when I have two younglings may be difficult though.

that said a former coworker of mine who jumped ship recently said that her new job uses angular >2 and typescript and finds it to be much nicer than react/redux and... uhhh... let and const. anyone else confirm/deny the angular part?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
code:
Hello All,

We will love to hear your response on the following position. 
Technology Stack : NodeJS Angular JS React Libraries
You had me at hello all. Also the tech stack that involves both Angular and React.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

huhu posted:

code:
Hello All,

We will love to hear your response on the following position. 
Technology Stack : NodeJS Angular JS React Libraries
You had me at hello all. Also the tech stack that involves both Angular and React.

“our app sucks poo poo and were in the middle of trying to move to react pls help”

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pendragon posted:

shaggar I may take you up on that as there's a decent number of C# shops around here that I wouldn't mind getting into. finding time to try out C# when I have two younglings may be difficult though.

that said a former coworker of mine who jumped ship recently said that her new job uses angular >2 and typescript and finds it to be much nicer than react/redux and... uhhh... let and const. anyone else confirm/deny the angular part?

angular is trash but typescript is good.

also c# is super good and easy and so is asp.net

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

JavaScript is finding its way into loving microcontrollers so good luck

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it will get you too, eventually. you'll float too

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

im hoping for the same

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

“our app sucks poo poo and were in the middle of trying to move to react pls help”

i mean at least they are attempting to atone for their sins

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i write javascript on the reg and i still ran screaming from just doing a code audit on a rails project

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pendragon posted:

you don't want to get into a c# shop. c#, the technology, is pretty awesome. c#, the community, is a shitshow.

the problem is that c# is inextricably tied to microsoft windows. every c# shop is a windows shop. every windows shop is owned by someone stupid enough to bet his business on microsoft loving windows

can you imagine how loving idiotic your bosses are if they bet their loving livelihood on windows? titanically stupid. monumentally stupid. so stupid, it beggars belief

and, following from that:
  • A players hire B players.

• B players hire Cs.

• What do the C players hire?

Windows guys.

don't be a windows guy. it's not worth it. no matter how cool the latest shiny C# thing is, it is never worth working with windows guys

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pollyanna posted:

my experience with rails is that there’s a hell of a lot of awful legacy apps written in it

I want to do not-rails but most of my exp is in rails and some js. what do I do

stop yearning for some mythic greener pasture and become good at your job

every job involves a whole lot of legacy horseshit. that's the job. if you don't like it, well, i'm sorry you dingus why did you become a software developer

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

nice meltdown

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

stop yearning for some mythic greener pasture and become good at your job

every job involves a whole lot of legacy horseshit. that's the job. if you don't like it, well, i'm sorry you dingus why did you become a software developer

all the devs in my neighboring scrum team work on something completely new.

except it’s connected to a legacy database where the options for data is either a thousand lines of weird sql joins or our proprietary sql database management interface which while an ok piece of software will only run on windows server 2012

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you don't want to get into a c# shop. c#, the technology, is pretty awesome. c#, the community, is a shitshow.

the problem is that c# is inextricably tied to microsoft windows. every c# shop is a windows shop. every windows shop is owned by someone stupid enough to bet his business on microsoft loving windows

can you imagine how loving idiotic your bosses are if they bet their loving livelihood on windows? titanically stupid. monumentally stupid. so stupid, it beggars belief

• B players hire Cs.

Windows guys.

don't be a windows guy. it's not worth it. no matter how cool the latest shiny C# thing is, it is never worth working with windows guys

best post in the thread

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I looked around for job openings in my area and ~70% are PHP and the rest C#, I should probably look at more sites but it was very demotivating

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lol if you care about your employers risks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

I looked around for job openings in my area and ~70% are PHP and the rest C#, I should probably look at more sites but it was very demotivating

job postings are an adverse selection problem just like job candidates -- the worst jobs go unfilled the longest

• a dude who wants to pay someone $10/hour to work on wordpress is gonna have an opening for a looooooong time.

• windows shops are universally horrible. every single one of them. in every way. low pay, bad management, insipid livestock for coworkers

edit: additionally, if you don't live in a "hot" area for software, most of the software jobs are gonna be pretty horrible. that's normal. don't get too depressed about it. there are probably good jobs hiding, you just gotta be persistent.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 23, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you find yourself tempted by c#, learn java instead

it's 80% as good as c#, but you don't have to work with knuckledragging morons and MBAs stupid enough to listen to a microsoft rep

plenty of java shops are still filled with idiots managed by morons, but not all of them. it's a possibility not a certainty.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

job postings are an adverse selection problem just like job candidates -- the worst jobs go unfilled the longest

• a dude who wants to pay someone $10/hour to work on wordpress is gonna have an opening for a looooooong time.

• windows shops are universally horrible. every single one of them. in every way. low pay, bad management, insipid livestock for coworkers

edit: additionally, if you don't live in a "hot" area for software, most of the software jobs are gonna be pretty horrible. that's normal. don't get too depressed about it. there are probably good jobs hiding, you just gotta be persistent.

Can confirm; microsoft shops are garbage tier poo poo for idiots

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i like my c# place s lot :shobon:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HoboMan posted:

i like my c# place s lot :shobon:

maybe you are one of the bovine coworkers i am complaining about :q:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

My place is a VB .NET shop, legacy VB6 array indexing and all :smug:

We don't make webshit though so that's a plus.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• B players hire Cs.

Windows guys.

can loving confirm.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

rip me for dropping java after college to bing c# right up my rear end

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
java is 80% the same thing as c# except that java has a standard build tool that isn't idiotic and a third party open source library ecosystem that actually exists. so you can pick up java very quickly, you'll spend more time learning the ecosystem than the language.

afaik in c# land if you want to do a thing then you either use the microsoft library for doing said thing or do it yourself. and chances are the microsoft library is poo poo, because chances are any given library is poo poo. if you have an open source ecosystem though, the poo poo libraries die and the not-poo poo libraries thrive and then natural selection works its magic. stuck with only the microsoft libraries? your hosed.

also there's various jvm langs out there that interop nicely with java. scala, kotlin, clojure are the big ones.

java 8 added something like linq, java 9 added something like assemblies except it's a massively disruptive change so nobody is really using them yet. bytes are signed in java but everything else is strictly better than its c# equivalent, at least it was back when i last dealt with c# in like v3 or something.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

but vsstudio isn’t garbage like eclipse :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

kloa posted:

but vsstudio isn’t garbage like eclipse :sigh:

this is unironically why i stopped using java