Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Melminius, the Autocrat (to Prax)

"We've been fine without those wizards for a decade now. Recruit a few able bodied men and investigate yourselves before you bother them. The last thing we need it to make them think we they're needed for every problem!" the autocrat grunts ruefully. "Take that healer girl, Silvia, with you. She's been taught about that sort of thing."

(Silvia is one of my grogs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Klaudios and Epiphanios The meeting

"Oh. Right." says Klaudios, receding. The connection was not obvious, as it lay outside of his own activities of the season. Now that it has been pointed out it makes sense enough. It is still not quite clear to him what boon, useful to the people of this island, the forge gods of Samothrace could provide but it harms none to ask one.

Epiphanios leans in, tucking the small knife he had been using to clean under his nails after eating back into his belt. "Though our friend may have driven off the spirit in the caves, there are other watery gods here and spirits of the woodlands. While he is off insulting the gods of other places, I could seek them out? The strange men of the beaches seem to be in service to some great power of the seafloor, who may fight on our behalf if we intervene on his."

[[
To help keep track of what's going on, the current scenes are:

The meeting - Whereby the council of magi deliberate on Summer Activities in search of a patron. (All Magi)
The Ship - Wherein companion Isaias is introduced (Isaias, Epiphanios, Eliodoros)
The Stone - Melminius and Praxiteles organize an excavation not yet begun
Constantinople? - At which Jean visits the Church and bargains for educational rights (This scene may be over?)

The Meeting presumably happens near the start of summer as the magi decide what to do with their season, the ship could be any time after Isaias arrives as it's an rp scene I believe, and the Stone is an rp scene preparatory to a Summer seasonal activity. Constantinople is a Spring activity scene.
]]

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 26, 2018

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

The Lighthouse
You do your ritual and burn incense after incense stick, and wave after wave of destructive energy rolls through the place. It does nothing to you, but above you you hear a scream, first in terror, then in agony, and then a whimper, and then it is gone.
Once it's done, you walk up through the tower. On the second floor, you find the warrior-ghosts you met earlier, looking around in confusion. You manage to explain that the demon has been cast out, and you move further up. On the third floor, you see a... workroom. The walls are covered with runes; runes of summoning and binding, or so you believe, faintly glowing, with several smaller sets of symbols and names written on the floor, likewise glowing faintly, except for one, which is entirely blacked out, the paint seemingly turned to soot and ash. Several others seem to have stopped glowing, but are not blackend out. The names are all written in greek, and spell out variations on the names of heroes mentioned in the trojan war; the blacked name is that of Alexander of Illium, son of Priam, king of Illium.

The next floor up is a small library, or rather, three bookshelves, full of works of history and legend, particularly regarding troy itself; many volumes seem to be copies of old and rare manuscripts, all in the same hand writing, while others are uncommon, but reasonably well-known, works of history on the subject. Most are written in classical greek. There's also a nice comfy chair and a table next to a window, as well as a cabinet full of ink, paper, quills, and tallow, as well as a couple of bottles of fairly good wine.

Fifth floor up, you find a lab. A messy, disorganized one. Here, you find about 20 lab texts, and three magical items.
The lab texts are, for the most part, in shorthand, and currently unreadable. One of them has been translated however, describing one of the magical items, and two others are in a half-translated state, which should make it much easier to figure out his general shorthand. The rest are unreadable.

As for the three items. One is a long stick, with an oversized ladle in one end and a very very large net in the other, like a fishing net, but much larger than any one could reasonable use by hand from the shore.
The second is a quill made of... hardened leather and wood, of all things wrapped in large silk hankerchief with words of power embrodiered along the rim.
The last is a sword, a greek-style broze xiphos with an inscription in ancient greek saying "Death upon the Deciever's Dead."

The last floor is the top of the lighthouse; nothing special here.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Isaias, Merchant Adventurer (The Dock)

"The war goes badly for the Latins in Egypt. They are confined to their foothold, and it is expected that they will lose even that. Across the Sea, the Prince of Rome's wars threaten my trade." the dark man says, shaking his head with a dark chuckle.

"Not all goes poorly, however. I have met a man in Alexandria with contacts among the desert caravans, and soon my hold may carry some exotic beasts from beyond even Ethiopia!" The strange white haired ape that Isaias kept as a pet, and according to his boasts, a scribe, bared his teeth and hissed at his master, who laughed. "Well, I know those of your order often are interested in oddities, and most treat them well. I have heard tales of one in particular: a sort of mole that creates castles beneath the earth. Now how's that for a tale!"

"These are yours, Epiphanios you scoundrel! I cannot imagine why you were so desperate to procure these, but nevertheless, chickpeas, cultivated by the Caliph's own gardeners." he says, tossing the man a small bag.

"And this is for you, Eliodorus." he continues, lifting another small parcel. A small, intricate brass box, no larger than an outstretched hand. "A young master in Alexandria has taken to making these, and they have grown popular with the wealthy. The mosaics in the lid can be moved, and are built into a cunning lock."

"And I've this ivory shatranj set for for my clever friend, Klaudios. And I supposed that laggard Paisios is still asleep..." he says, glancing up at the morning sun.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Epiphanios (The Dock)

Laughing nervously, Epiphanios objects. "I think you have something mixed up friend, it was I who asked after the beasts of the south not some silly Levantine seeds, EhHhaha... Of course, as he says this he quickly pockets the small satchel of dried beans, attempting to deflect from the embarrassment of having received a delivery of aphrodisiac beans in front of another member of the Covenant. Chickpeas of one type or another are reasonably common all along the inland sea, but this particular rare black variety is difficult to come by even far to the south. The fistful of seeds should be enough to get a small garden of the legumes growing on the island, and perhaps eventually some growing wild in the faerie-rich forest soil on the mainland.

Clapping Isaias again on the shoulder Epiphanios launches on from the awkward laughter, now committed to his gambit. "So, where is the critter, did you bring it with you? I will fetch the silver I promised you!" Surely the trader will have something Epiphanios can use to save face without eating through all of his redcap wages.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Jean-The Tower

Jean looks around the tower warily, trying not to touch anything. The demon is gone, thank God, but his work here still isn't done. There are still the warrior ghosts. He's not sure about this; it's outside his experience, but still, he has to act anyway. These are restless souls; souls in need of peace. He walks over to them, and asks, "Friends, would you tell me more of what you believe?"

Theodoros-The Council Chamber

"It is not impossible that the Kabeiri be our patrons, of course, but would it not be better if our patron be a god or spirit of the sea? Consider, we live on an island. All our wealth comes from the sea. We know that we have neighbors under the waves sworn to Poseidon. Why not, then, find a spirit of the waves?"

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

The beach

Prax, silvia and a bunch of the covenants grogs have landed at the beach and, following prax' lead, gone to what seems to be a small, rocky outcropping. There, on prax' orders, the grogs dig around it and remove the layers of dirt and sand around it. As it becomes free, it becomes clear that it forms a long ridge, which then turns, and later turns again, and then again. The excavation takes many many hours, and, once done, another hour to sweep and clean the square area they uncovered. To the grogs, it looks like nothing but a strangely square rocky ridge. But to Prax, it was clear for what it was: a foundation and the first, lowest blocks of a wall, with an opening... well, further into the dune. Perhaps there was more that way on, more strangely hidden things, but one would have to dig away nearly the whole of the dune to get at it.

Jean
Though communication is slow and difficult, with the warrior's deeply archaic greek, it soon becomes clear that they seem to worship a variation of the olympians, though to them, dionyseus, hera, and hermes are especially important, with poseidon as a king among them, but little focus on Zeus.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Prax

"Something was here, foundation's intact... The sea and wind probably pushed sand over it at some point, but I don't see any walls, just stone hidden from normal sight." Prax complains to himself. "Lets see if we can dig a bit deeper here, looks like an entryway to me. Might be something intact behind it."

Prax directs the grogs to dig around the opening against the dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Jean

Jean tries to communicate, though the Greek is archaic. "I find your beliefs interesting, because I'm also interested in matters of religion", he explains. "But perhaps we can talk more about this? i can learn more of your beliefs and you of mine?"

Trying to engage in theological debate with the intention of converting the ghosts.

• Locked thread