Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

No one said they have to smash the pots in order on Ghost Island right?
Also it seems like most of them have been duds so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

.TakaM posted:

No one said they have to smash the pots in order on Ghost Island right?

A producer is probably standing right off camera saying "smash the one on the left"

Otherwise you'll get dumb stuff like the Legacy Advantage showing up on day 12 or something.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

.TakaM posted:

This is so true, although I guess it's essential to keep advantages from getting too out of control even for Survivor producers.

I just want my loving stick idol dammit :argh:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And when the curse of the loving stick is reversed, Eliza joins the game and annoys the crap out of everybody.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

And when the curse of the loving stick is reversed, Eliza joins the game and annoys the crap out of everybody.

Eliza should just be a permanent member of the jury on every season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stephanie's exit interview shone some light on why the pagonging was so bad and also puts a lot of context into a couple things she said at tribal, as well as why the votes were all on her

quote:

Holmes: Last night felt like an old-school episode of “Survivor.” We’ve got no idols, no advantages, we have an alliance that doesn’t seem to have any cracks. You’re just left to your own devices. Looking back, was there anything else you could have possibly done?

Johnson: The second that I got back to camp after Ghost Island, I realized it wasn’t the same tribe that I had left. Twenty four hours makes a huge difference. I brought Jenna and Michael to the side and I started plotting and scheming. And Jenna wouldn’t even look me in the eyes. It was at that point that I realized that they had made an arrangement and they were going to flip. Something was different, so I completely ditched them. I worked on the relationships I had with Naviti while looking for an idol. But, I worked Bradley, Kellyn, and Chelsea, trying to…like you said, “Old School.” If you do this for me, I’m in your corner. Use my vote. But I came up short.

https://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2018/03/22/survivor-castaway-stephanie-i-feel-like-my-best-friend-backstabbed-me/

She and Jenna were also literally trying to cause Bradley to be med evac'd :lol:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Stephanie's exit interview shone some light on why the pagonging was so bad and also puts a lot of context into a couple things she said at tribal, as well as why the votes were all on her

https://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2018/03/22/survivor-castaway-stephanie-i-feel-like-my-best-friend-backstabbed-me/

She and Jenna were also literally trying to cause Bradley to be med evac'd :lol:

You can't post that and not include the excerpt:

quote:

Holmes: It feels like you and Jenna were close out there. Aside from her not looking at you when you returned to Ghost Island, was there anything else she did that felt like a betrayal?
Johnson: No, Jenna was my day-one girl. We hit the beach running. We were always together. We plotted to poison Bradley. Ninety seven percent of the stuff we talked about…they couldn’t even air it because it was not appropriate. We had the same sense of humor, she was really like the little sister that I never had. But, when it came down to it being us three and I was gone, she has a relationship with Michael too. She had to do something to save herself. It sucks. But, I feel like my best friend backstabbed me. But, I don’t hold it against her because it was a good move. If I had been there, I would have thrown one of them under the bus too. She did what she had to do. I just think it sucks that she chose Michael instead of me. But, that’s because I’m kind of a feminist.
Holmes: Just to clarify; when you say you were going to poison Bradley, you meant figuratively poisoning the tribe against him, not literally poisoning him, correct?
Johnson: Oh no, we wanted to poison him. (Laughs)
Holmes: (Laughs)
Johnson: We were picking berries and leaves and we were thinking of all the ways we could get him med-evac’d and then we wouldn’t have to deal with him anymore.
Holmes: That’s terrible.
Johnson: You know, he came over and just (expletive deleted) all over our camp. He was arrogant, I did not like him those first days. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Holmes: OK, but he was figuratively (expletive deleted) all over camp. Unlike you literally wanting to poisoning him.
Johnson: Yes. He didn’t literally (expletive deleted) all over everything. But we did want to poison him.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

and Bradley thinks he's Boston Rob or Kim because he's rigidly keeping that group in line, even though it's only 5 people in a game with 15 left. Really hope when they swap, Michael or Jenna come with him and are like "this guy suuucks" and he's voted out immediately. Even though Dom and Chris hate each other, I think the rest of that other tribe is making all kinds of bonds, Dom and Wendel with Laurel and Donathan, Chris maybe with some people, who knows.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Hot take: I actually don't hate Chris. He's definitely a bro and I can see how he thinks his poo poo doesn't stink, but I think it may be a product of his youth and being put on a pedestal (collegiate athlete, male model, etc). He seems to be invested in his team's success. He had the right of it where Dom shouldn't have piped up and said that he disagreed with Chris' decision in episode 1. He had the right of it where Dom is coming after him, and always has been. I think we're just a bit conditioned to hate the guy who looks like Chris, and the editors aren't doing him any favors by giving him derpy music when he talks and such.

I think my ultimately liking of him will reside in if he was rapping ironically or not. If he's just loving around then I'm 100% in on Chris, but if he thinks he's a rapper then no chance.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm basically with you on that. Chris was right about the pulling the plug on the puzzle and Dom was an idiot for taking Jeff's bait and complaining and for being wrong in his complaint. Plus, Dom is the skeevy sort of idol-fake idol-idol manic guy that wears on me that Survivor wants to always have in the cast now, so that again puts me team Chris in this feud.

But there's no doubt that Chris is totally full of himself and thinks he's God's gift to the world, and I think Dom is the better social player. It's just for right now I prefer Chris enough that his outlandishness makes him more of a character for me than a villain. And he really was a beast at throwing at those targets, which was impressive to watch.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SweetJahasus posted:

I think we're just a bit conditioned to hate the guy who looks like Chris, and the editors aren't doing him any favors by giving him derpy music when he talks and such.

It's not looks, it's sounds.

Wasn't this thread almost uniformly pro-Devon last season?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was totally a Devon objector. I mean, he was fine but I didn't get the love. But like I think I tend to be a little my sympathetic to the "jock" or white alpha male than most around here. To a degree.

I totally grant that Chris might just be an immature bro who could grow out of it. Like he hasn't done anything really wrong or anything. And absolutely, he was more or less right about Dom and Dom made a bunch of dumb moves early on.

Just some people you like and some people you don't. And I just don't like Chris. But he's not Bradley or anything. I don't hate him and long for his downfall. Although I do think he could have been if that tribe swap hadn't happened and he had held onto that "cool kid" power alliance with Sebastian, Angela, and whoever the fourth one was (Chelsea?). He seemed to be headed down the path of villain but the Tribe swap took away his power base before it could really fill up his ego the way it has Bradley.

Propaganda Machine posted:

If this were true than drat Micheal for not reversing the Curse of James' Idols and resulting in him sitting in Jury laughing at people.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Is last season any good? I was thinking of watching it this weekend.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

clown shoes posted:

Is last season any good? I was thinking of watching it this weekend.
I thought it was fun, but it was also the first time I had watched any Survivor in nearly a decade.

EDIT: The last time I watched Survivor, Osama bin Laden was still alive.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The ending is divisive but I thought l last season was generally good fun with some strong characters. Not a top five season, but certainly not terrible.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

OK I started Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers (dumb name). This NFL player is literally insane. I think this cast is generally unattractive compared to usual.

Does anyone have the link to last season's thread?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

clown shoes posted:

OK I started Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers (dumb name). This NFL player is literally insane. I think this cast is generally unattractive compared to usual.

Does anyone have the link to last season's thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835530

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
How not to win Survivor: force a tribemate to drop trou within the first 3(? 6?) days because you have idol paranoia.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is the because really necessary?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, it's kind of hard to say that Chris is just a byproduct of his age when Michael is right there.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean, it's kind of hard to say that Chris is just a byproduct of his age when Michael is right there.

I think we can all agree Michael is an anomaly. I was a piece of poo poo when I was 18 and definitely wouldn't be able to socially navigate the way he is.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

OK I finished season 35. Lots of forgettable, unremarkable players for the most part. Devon was chill and is probably fun to hang with. I had pegged Ryan as the winner from the first episode and still thought he could win up until the last vote; he really didn't contribute anything though. Desi was awesome and beautiful and I was really hoping she'd win and marry me. I actually liked Cole, too. Joe was crazy but after the merge he came back down to Earth; still, I couldn't believe he lasted as long as he did considering no one liked him. Crissy played well and had a great run at the end but man did she have a sour attitude. The producers definitely put the fix in for Ben, right? All of those idols are stupid. I miss Classic Survivor where there weren't any hidden idols or advantages. I get that they have to keep the game evolving but these idols and advantages need to be challenging to find, maybe broken into multiple parts like the triforce in that Link.

So...how's season 34 (Game Changers)?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still stand by "Nothing was rigged, it's just that everyone besides Ben was lazy and cocky and let him spend whole days and nights alone digging for idols."

"Too many idols"? Maybe. But everyone knew that and they let Ben dig for them even after he burned them. No excuse.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 25, 2018

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think it was actually rigged (they've been sued before) but it kind of comes off like the fix was in.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I get why it comes off that way but like I really do think it just comes down to the combination of Ben hustling his rear end off and Chrissy and Co being cocky as poo poo and not even trying to stop him as we see majority alliances do all the time.

Like we think of it as an idols buried in a massive island impossible to find. But realistically we know they're all buried shallowly near landmarks near the camp and we've seen plenty of Survivors who manage to find multiple ones by just having the time, dedication, and maybe a touch of pattern recognition or deductive reasoning.

It's why ever season starts with a guy wandering off and everyone else go "He's idol hunting, that's trouble".

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Editors also don't show us irrelevant or wasted things so sometimes it seems like finding idols was too easy when everyone spends literally half every day looking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, one of those Ben idols was him starting to search right after they got back from Tribal, everyone else noting it and just going to bed, and then Ben finding the idol as the sun was visibly rising. I have no idea when they get back from Tribal but clearly he searched through the night at least a little while.

But the way they edited it basically played like him finding it right after they went to bed, and some people read it as "easy" and "right there". And that's understandable. But like, there's an easy explanation there.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Game changers was great up until episode 7 iirc.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, pre-merge Game Changers is great. I'd actually say skip the last pre-merge boot (which should be right after the cast gets whittled to 14). Just read what happens online, because there's some really ugly and heartbreaking stuff in there.

Post-merge, it's.... middling. If you got tired of advantages in HHH, GC might not be your cup of tea. There's some good stuff in there, but nothing spectacular. The season's kinda frontloaded in my opinion.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If nothing else, it's not worth watching game changers unless you've seen enough prior seasons to have some context for the characters.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
the last really good season was millenials vs gen x. despite the terrible name, a lot of good players and moments.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."
Gamechangers was better than I expected and has a worthy winner but has the usual returnee problem when they mix winners/top contenders with lesser performers with the latter making up almost all of the final 8 or so.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I think I'm going to skip Game Changers, not a fan of seasons with returning players. I tried to watch the first episode last night and immediately hated several people. Also, I watched the video of the guy outing Zeke the other day and that's not something I want to sit through again. Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Watching and enjoying Millennials vs. Gen X now. Shame about Michaela. Rooting for the Millennials but just waiting for them to blow their lead.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mialillenns vs Gex

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Marathoned the last three seasons and caught up on this one after a nice long break from Survivor.

Millennials vs Gen X ended up being a lot of fun, fantastic season. Great winner. Really enjoyed it.

Game Changers was ok. Had some fun moments, but it kinda lost steam toward the end. Don't regret watching it.

HvHvH sucked. It was an ok season most of the way through but the end fizzled and died hard. The final tribal twist was horrible and really hurt the game.

Digging Ghost Island so far though! Super bummed to see Stephanie gone this week as she was one of my favourites.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Zesty posted:

Mialillenns vs Gex

I've been following along with the old thread. Now I get it.

edit: that was a great season of Survivor.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 27, 2018

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
As someone who just finished South Pacific, I would just like to say that South Pacific was a loving weird season of Survivor and I kind of loved it. I mean... you don't really see too many burgeoning cults on the show, so...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
South Pacific is pretty great on a re-watch. You feel a little bad for Edna, though.

I still wish we'd get one good Asian-American female player at some point. The best we've seen in terms of standing was Becky, and she was kinda carried to F4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I liked Peih-Gee and...

Huh.

• Locked thread