Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What was the updated costume going to be like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

What was the updated costume going to be like?

Purple jumper.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Question mark lapels for the jacket

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And not a single photo, concept art, or fanart was ever made for it (or released, anyway)

A pity

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they should just give her baker's outfit

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
colin baker's

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He was also a replacement actor for G.I. Joe. (The original Destro had to pull out due to visa issues, though they eventually got cleared up in time for him to appear as Eccelston's ancestor at the beginning.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just saw that BF regular Blake Ritson is playing Brainiac on SyFy's Krypton

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

He was also a replacement actor for G.I. Joe. (The original Destro had to pull out due to visa issues, though they eventually got cleared up in time for him to appear as Eccelston's ancestor at the beginning.)

I believe the only personwho had any fun on the set of GI Joe was Joseph Gordon-Levitt, because for him it was basically a childhood dream come true. By all accounts that was a tremendously hosed-up production.

Timby fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 22, 2018

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Frankly, I'd rather hear actors talk about how much they hated working on some project that they clearly did just for the money. Nowadays everyone does the "oh I had a wonderful time on set, we were like one big family" thing, and nine times out of ten it's complete bullshit that they're basically ordered by the studio or network to spout during interviews.

Yeah, hearing Brad Pitt gush about how awesome World War Z was going to be and how much faith he had in the director AFTER the re-shoots and ending re-writes...

I'm praying that the Whitaker/Chibnall working relationship doesn't go the way of Eccleston/Davies, especially with the added scrutiny of the first female Doctor on top of it.

Of course, I say this prayer and then I hear this voice* in my head saying "What does God need with a TARDIS?"

* - for some reason the voice of God in my head is Patrick Troughton. This does not surprise me in the least.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, the expectation that actors are always supposed to be happy about every job they took is part of what empowers people like David O. Russell to keep doing what they do and to get away with it, to say nothing of all the #metoo stuff. I recognize that successful film actors make a lot of money for what they do, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't complain about bad working conditions, particularly when they're doing it on behalf of crew members who are paid less than them or aspiring actors new to the business.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bicyclops posted:

Like, the expectation that actors are always supposed to be happy about every job they took is part of what empowers people like David O. Russell to keep doing what they do and to get away with it, to say nothing of all the #metoo stuff. I recognize that successful film actors make a lot of money for what they do, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't complain about bad working conditions, particularly when they're doing it on behalf of crew members who are paid less than them or aspiring actors new to the business.

yeah, the idea that complaining about bad working conditions is "whiny" is... honestly kind of ghoulish?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Of course, I say this prayer and then I hear this voice* in my head saying "What does God need with a TARDIS?"

* - for some reason the voice of God in my head is Patrick Troughton. This does not surprise me in the least.

Okay, both the Star Trek and Doctor Who threads are talking about the specifics of Eccleston leaving and making "why does God need a starship" jokes. Come on, people, I have a hard enough time keeping track as it is!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

colin baker's

Yeah that's what I meant

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

Okay, both the Star Trek and Doctor Who threads are talking about the specifics of Eccleston leaving and making "why does God need a starship" jokes. Come on, people, I have a hard enough time keeping track as it is!

*spins around in his chair dramatically wearing an eyepatch*

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’ve never watched an episode of TNG on purpose.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Edward Mass posted:

Could have been posted in either thread, really.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Edward Mass posted:

Everytime I catch a random episode of TNG, it always feels like a televised fever dream for some reason.

[e]: Well, that goes without saying :v:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 22, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

a televised fever dream

Doctor Who: the 1980s

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

CobiWann posted:

*spins around in his chair dramatically wearing an eyepatch*

???

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

Doctor Who: the 1980s

Well, yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Candyman's corpse coming down that slide is still pretty loving unsettling if you ask me.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I love you and I love this post so drat much.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Say what you like but this loving thing terrified me as a seven-year-old. Everything about Who terrified me then but I was glued to it anyway. Never understood a drat thing about what was happening but I skipped Brownies two weeks out of three to watch it. (if you skipped three weeks in a row they kicked you out)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The writing really did take a nosedive during Colin Baker and McCoy's run. I still remember that screenie as a perfect example... the Doctor arrives someplace for some reason, something is off represented by one cheesy special effect, the Doctor fixes it, all better.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gynovore posted:

the Doctor arrives someplace for some reason, something is off represented by one cheesy special effect, the Doctor fixes it, all better.

That's been the storyline for every episode for 55 years.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, don't be silly.

A rubber mask can hardly be called an "effect." :v:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The_Doctor posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

Still, the writing really did suck during the last two pre-reboot Doctors. I feel sorry for Sylvester McCoy, he seemed like a decent actor, it must have sucked to be saddled with all that suckage.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Counterpoint: there's a lot of really good stuff in McCoy's run (less so Colin's)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've always said that the First Rule of Doctor Who Fandom means that every opinion has to be held by somebody, no matter how incomprehensible, and here's the proof.

I can't get my head around the concept of the Ace Era not being awesome. It just... falls out of my brain.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I actually think Five's era is more unwatchable than Seven's, although Six's definitely takes the cake.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

After The War posted:

I've always said that the First Rule of Doctor Who Fandom means that every opinion has to be held by somebody, no matter how incomprehensible, and here's the proof.

I can't get my head around the concept of the Ace Era not being awesome. It just... falls out of my brain.

I dislike Ace. There I said it.

I guess that proves the rule because I know how much people love her.

But I guess the real test is if we can find someone who loves ... Mel.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bicyclops posted:

I actually think Five's era is more unwatchable than Seven's, although Six's definitely takes the cake.

Six would be terrible if not for Trial of a Timelord.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Zero posted:

Six would be terrible if not for Trial of a Timelord.

People have died for saying less.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Rhyno posted:

People have died for saying less.

Well sort of half joke since Trial is literally half his tenure but his first season is a little... iffy. Keep in mind I don’t mean Baker himself I mean the writing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Doctor Zero posted:

But I guess the real test is if we can find someone who loves ... Mel.

Does Big Finish Mel count?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The CBakes and McCoy eras were a perfect storm of terribleness for me. Yes, all the previous Doctors had their cringeworthy stories from time to time, but it became the rule rather than the exception - Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani (ha, my phone autocorrected that to Rank) set the tone for the rest of their tenures. The combination of unlikeable/annoying Doctors, even more irritating companions, lovely scripts, garish production and general air of either gently caress-the-world cynicism or ah-screw-it-who-cares pantomime camp made it embarrassing to watch.

There, I said it, and I don't regret it. :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean both Twin and Time and the Rani are bad, but even the second McCoy serial is a lot better, whereas, to be honest, Five's run doesn't even become tolerable until like... The Visitation.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

McCoy owns and Battlefield is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bicyclops posted:

I mean both Twin and Time and the Rani are bad, but even the second McCoy serial is a lot better, whereas, to be honest, Five's run doesn't even become tolerable until like... The Visitation.
The difference between Five's run and Six/Seven's for me is that with Davison, the sci-fi aspects were taken seriously (if sometimes way more than they actually deserved). After him, there was more of an air of "oh, it's just science fiction, who cares if it makes no sense? [winks at audience so hard it looks like a stroke]"

It's something that became annoying with both RTD and Moffat as well, especially once the latter got fully into his "the Doctor is actually a fairytale wizard, so the whole universe runs on magicience" routine.

• Locked thread