Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

do we have a too soon gif?

Yeah it’s this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I am always game to get down

do we have a too soon gif?

(The joke is that calling something an Irish Car Bomb is super tasteless because of how many died in The Troubles) but yeah, let’s get down the next time you’re in nyc.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The evening dishwasher at my restaurant needs to loving go. Every day when I come in, I find poo poo that wasn't cleaned properly and is put away like it was. Every day line cooks come back and show me poo poo that isn't right. Today was particularly, egregiously bad though. A pot hanging like it was clean with a straight up ring of grime on the inside. Third pans on the clean racks that had grease, obviously visible, on the outside AND inside. Bowls on the line with film and bits of poo poo on them. steamhats literally covered in grease on all sides put away on the line as if they were clean. Why take a job as a loving dishwasher if you're going to be such a fuckup about it?

I showed all of this to the owner, who works mornings with us every day since we've opened, as I have every time something's been wrong. Thing is, this is the 3rd loving evening dishwasher who's been this bad. I cannot allow a place that I wash dishes at to wind up being known as a place with dirty rear end disgusting dishes in the kitchen. I just loving can't. The person that was on last night isn't on till tomorrow night, so I asked if I could work a double tomorrow so that I could work with her and make sure this doesn't happen again. It'll put me in overtime, but the owner OK'd it and wants me to try and get her to do poo poo the right way, and correct this so we don't have to fire another person and hire another person.

Maybe I'm being too much of a tryhard here, I mean I'm getting paid poo poo to do a poo poo job, but I like this restaurant and job, and I take pride in what I do, and I can't help but hope that this type of poo poo eventually leads to me being promoted or given a raise or some poo poo down the line. At least these fuckups being fuckups repeatedly gives me the chance to dunk on them and show the management what I'm about. It feels good to be able to ask the owner for overtime for an issue like this and be told yes.

Before I left today I wrote on the prep whiteboard 'CLEAN DISHES BEFORE PUTTING THEM AWAY' in huge bold letters and underlined it. I feel like I am losing my god drat mind having to write some poo poo like that on the whiteboard, but here we are.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bloody ghost titty posted:

(The joke is that calling something an Irish Car Bomb is super tasteless because of how many died in The Troubles) but yeah, let’s get down the next time you’re in nyc.

Calm down, have a drink to relax, may I suggest a Black and Tan?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Fun fact: it takes way too loving long to compress 10lbs of various microgreens.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Fun fact: it takes way too loving long to compress 10lbs of various microgreens.

i'm surprised you don't have some $10,000 atomic powered microgreen compressor

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Imagine how much fun we had with 5000 sheet pans, Cambros, hotel pans.

This, but three times a week with apples. My km and I cannot figure out for the life of us how it is cost effective to put stickers on apples we're just gonna peel off. Real simple guys: put stickers on apples that are going to grocery stores. Save some $$ and do not put stickers on the ones going to restaurants.

As someone who had to peel/scrub thousands of labels off melamine plates/bowls/etc at the army DFAC, I feel yr pain, CdC. :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This, but three times a week with apples. My km and I cannot figure out for the life of us how it is cost effective to put stickers on apples we're just gonna peel off. Real simple guys: put stickers on apples that are going to grocery stores. Save some $$ and do not put stickers on the ones going to restaurants.

As someone who had to peel/scrub thousands of labels off melamine plates/bowls/etc at the army DFAC, I feel yr pain, CdC. :(

Yeesh, I would get annoyed peeling the stickers off new wine glasses, and I only ever had to do a dozen at a time when enough old ones had been broken that we ran the danger of not having enough for dinner service.

Although it's much less work than you go through, it's equally insane, since the glasses came in a box with the name of the company and the glasses also have the name of the company etched on the base of the stem.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
LMAO, let me tell you guys about the time I worked at a hospital-run assisted living facility that made us peel the stickers off of bananas going into banana pudding. The bananas only came with stickers on where we were, no matter the (haha two families related by marriage) vendor.

Twice a week. All the stickers off of banana skins. For bananas being processed down for pudding. They made us hand in a gross little blorb of the stickers to prove we'd peeled them.

I worked there for three straight years and that was always the hardest part of my job. I have dreams where I'm peeling stickers for eternity. I'd blender a million meatloaves to forget those bananas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

LMAO, let me tell you guys about the time I worked at a hospital-run assisted living facility that made us peel the stickers off of bananas going into banana pudding. The bananas only came with stickers on where we were, no matter the (haha two families related by marriage) vendor.

Twice a week. All the stickers off of banana skins. For bananas being processed down for pudding. They made us hand in a gross little blorb of the stickers to prove we'd peeled them.

I worked there for three straight years and that was always the hardest part of my job. I have dreams where I'm peeling stickers for eternity. I'd blender a million meatloaves to forget those bananas.

You leave the peel on the bananas when you use them for the pudding?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
No. We didn't. We peeled stickers off bananas that we were going to peel for pudding. the rule was there because you can miss stickers if you're powering through a ton of bananas for anything. The reality was peeling tiny stickers off a VERY LARGE STICKER.

I left the industry with a serious drinking problem for a reason.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

infiniteguest posted:

I just know that I, personally, do not want that for myself.

What you ignore is that most people don't have the luxury of choice. But you're too far up your own rear end to think about what most people actually have to struggle with. This isn't about opposition to enthusiasm, it's about opposition to your corporate motivational speak coming from a bougie rear end in a top hat who apparently has been overpaid his entire career. You are speaking from privilege to those without it and being a real oval office about it too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

No. We didn't. We peeled stickers off bananas that we were going to peel for pudding. the rule was there because you can miss stickers if you're powering through a ton of bananas for anything. The reality was peeling tiny stickers off a VERY LARGE STICKER.

I left the industry with a serious drinking problem for a reason.

What the gently caress?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fizzymercy posted:

My eyeball twitched reading this

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Well when all your bananas are farm grown there are no stickers. Some of us strive for quality product and service, and take pride in our work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Well when all your bananas are farm grown there are no stickers. Some of us strive for quality product and service, and take pride in our work.

All bananas are clones of the same bananas, so the only thing that affects quality is water, soil and sunlight

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

All bananas are clones of the same bananas, so the only thing that affects quality is water, soil and sunlight

And stickers

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
what happened if you just handed in a bit of cut off banana peel with a sticker on it

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm surprised you don't have some $10,000 atomic powered microgreen compressor

I wish. We compress all our micros because they look better, last longer out of refrigeration, don't die on a hot plate, and in the case of basil, get really intense in flavor. Just submerge in ice water in a pan that can fit in your chamber sealer, lay paper towels on the surface to prevent splatter, and run the sealer twice. And now I've saved you all hundreds to thousands in food cost.

Edit: in other news, hell week is over, owner's gala went off without a hitch, and I finally have a day off.

Also, 9 cooks have quit since opening because "it's too hard", despite being told constantly for 3 months that this would probably be the hardest thing they do in their careers, and to be prepared for long days and constant changes as we rolled out all these menus. Tried really hard to set them up for success too, but the rest of our J1s and students have adapted fantastically, and I honestly can't wait to see where their careers take them.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 24, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I might have a double tomorrow and highly likely have gained a second next weekend.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fizzymercy posted:

did they ever have an incident were a sticker somehow managed to get on a residents plate and they sued or something? that seems like the only type of thing that could provoke a weird as gently caress sticker bounty. unless management was a just a bunch of power tripping weirdos

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I deal with this all the time with liquor. It sucks because even with the insane volume my four bars do, we come nowhere close to off-premise retail sales in the eyes of liquor distributors so everything is packaged for retail. All of our outlets are 100% “Green” in the state of CA, something I’m stoked on, but it loving kills me to have to throw so many loving bullshit boxes and bottle tags and booklets directly into recycling. I’ve started collecting them and shoving them into envelopes and mailing them back to the brand offices because I’m the loving queen of petty.

Thankfully, all our citrus is, as of last month, sourced directly from a farm less than 435 miles away and comes to my door picked ripe from the tree in less than 48hrs so NO MORE GODDAMN STICKERS. I’m super proud of all of that for a ton of sustainability reasons but also NO MORE GODDAMN STICKERS!!!

E: edited to add that I’m lucky enough to work for people that allow me to be a crazy person and allow me to spend their money how I want to, so in general I don’t buy anything with dumb packaging and I tell that directly to those brands but some times things slip in and I go to unpack them and have an aneurysm. Nonino, I’m looking at you.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 24, 2018

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

I wish. We compress all our micros because they look better, last longer out of refrigeration, don't die on a hot plate, and in the case of basil, get really intense in flavor. Just submerge in ice water in a pan that can fit in your chamber sealer, lay paper towels on the surface to prevent splatter, and run the sealer twice. And now I've saved you all hundreds to thousands in food cost.

Edit: in other news, hell week is over, owner's gala went off without a hitch, and I finally have a day off.

Also, 9 cooks have quit since opening because "it's too hard", despite being told constantly for 3 months that this would probably be the hardest thing they do in their careers, and to be prepared for long days and constant changes as we rolled out all these menus. Tried really hard to set them up for success too, but the rest of our J1s and students have adapted fantastically, and I honestly can't wait to see where their careers take them.

Legit sounds like the staffing issues we face here in the Bay. It sucks, I feel for you. J1s are totally worth all the paperwork hassle, they’ve been great for us.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Washed dishes for 15 hours yesterday and am now going back in for some more. I have some really painful little cuts on my hand that are going to be just great in the dish water. Fuckkkk

Also, thread title - The Restaurant Industry Thread: NO MORE GODDAMN STICKERS!!!

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 24, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Explain J1s for people not from Cali please(me)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Field Mousepad posted:

Explain J1s for people not from Cali please(me)

Foreign student visa, IIRC. Basically getting scrubs in because paying people to actually live in the area won't let the business exist. Yay exploitative labor practices.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/california-j1-jobs-SRCH_IL.0,10_IS2280_KO11,13.htm

For an example.

quote:

The J1 Culinary Trainee Program is an exciting 12 month training program for international cooks and chefs. This program is open to culinary professionals without current US work authorization.

Position Qualifications:
1-2 years experience as a sous chef in a fine dining hotel environment OR 5 years experience as a line cook.
Fluency in speaking and understanding English.
You must meet the minimum requirements for a J1 visa as outlined by the US state department.
Culinary school or vocational training is preferred but not required with the right amount of experience.
Ability to relocate to the United States within 3 months of application. You must be able to cover travel expenses and your basic living expenses for the first few weeks of work before earning your first paycheck. We will provide temporary housing and transportation from SFO airport. All food and uniforms are covered for the entire duration of your training program.
Basic Qualifications:
High school or equivalent education required.
Positive attitude.
Must be able to walk or stand for long periods of time and lift up to 50 pounds.
Related hospitality experience is preferred but we will train the right candidate.
Candidate must have flexible work schedule as well and work holidays.
Must meet the minimum age requirements to work in an alcohol and food service operation.
Benefits:
We offer competitive wages, training and career development. Benefit packages include medical and dental coverage, vision, flexible spending account, 401k with company match, tuition reimbursement and a great working environment.

About Calistoga Ranch:
Calistoga Ranch— a luxury Napa resort nestled in a secluded Upper Napa Valley canyon on 157 lush, oak-lined acres is a rarefied luxury retreat where nature not only coexists with, but helps create, a completely new level of connection, comfort and contentment. Every detail, each dedicated staff member, conspire to bring a deep sense of enrichment and renewal. From a celebration of Napa wine and food to restorative Napa spa offerings... experience a seamless mingling of the outdoors and in for endless inspiration.

About Auberge Resorts Collection:
Auberge Resorts is a collection of exceptional hotels, resorts, and private clubs, each with a unique personality that assures a memorable guest experience. Property accolades include Michelin Star, Forbes 5 Star and Relais & Chateaux. With ten distinctive properties in pristine locations including Napa Valley, Cabo San Lucas, Aspen, Fiji, and Costa Rica, Auberge Resorts offers handcrafted careers to exceptional professionals with a heart for hospitality and a passion for joy and happiness.

Stay Connected:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aubergeresorts
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/aubergeresorts/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/aubergeresorts
You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/aubergeresorts
Blog: https://aubergeresorts.com/blog
Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Aubergeresorts

Auberge Resorts Collection provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Auberge Resorts Collection complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.

Program designed for physicians to come train in the US, but of course it's being used to run kitchens and staff Sea World.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

We start our J1s at $11/hr, and subsidize their housing, and they've told me they're making so much more money than they would be at home(most are from South Africa and the Philippines). Although I'm sure there are lovely people/companies taking advantage of them.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Lol at the speaking and understanding English part. If you can't speak Spanish in a kitchen chinge tu madre guero

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The kitchen where I worked in college taught me the obscure and awesome regional slang cocho

In addition to the general chupame la verga huero hijo de la chingada

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Foreign student visa, IIRC. Basically getting scrubs in because paying people to actually live in the area won't let the business exist. Yay exploitative labor practices.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/california-j1-jobs-SRCH_IL.0,10_IS2280_KO11,13.htm

For an example.

Program designed for physicians to come train in the US, but of course it's being used to run kitchens and staff Sea World.

I mean, start ours at $18 an hour and I’m pretty sure benefits I they’re here long enough so... not really?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I mean, start ours at $18 an hour and I’m pretty sure benefits I they’re here long enough so... not really?

Could a local live on $18 an hour in your location?

I'm going to dip into tipchat for a second because this effects most of the thread:

It looks like the spending omnibus bill had a bit about last year's DoL proposal about tip sharing in it. Specifically it appears to explicitly ban the house skimming off the tip pool. The new rule wants to see the paradigm shift to paying everyone in house full minimum wage and tip pooling for all non-managerial staff so long as the business is taking no tip credit on wages, which is how a number of places operate now.

The National Restaurant Association is manfully fighting against paying everyone at least minimum wage, though:

"The minimum wage, with all due respect, is a 1938 income support system for a workforce that worked in manufacturing and agriculture," said Cicely Simpson, executive vice president for public affairs at the National Restaurant Association, at a panel discussion last month. "In our workforce, we have people who drive an Uber during the day and work in restaurants at night. They have no desire to spend their entire career in an entire industry."

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

fizzymercy posted:

That's completely... Well, bananas (sorry). On my last day I would've saved all my stickers and put them on managers' cars or something.

Additional pet peeve about stickers: when I worked the DFAC, fruits came stickered. If the fruit was getting prepped in the kitchen, the worst cooks would peel them off and put them on the sheet pans or cutting boards as they went along. And not even on the edge or in a neat pile, just loving stickers all over the pans that they'd drop at dish pit. Since we kept our triple sinks at a toasty 140/160/180, we always wore gloves. Imagine my irritation at having to regularly take my gloves off to pick at a particularly stubborn blorb (I like that word!) of stickers.

On the other hand, fresh fruit going out for the cafeteria line would have their stickers left on. Then the grunts would peel the sticker off before eating, and press them onto the cafeteria trays. Even our firehose of a sprayer wouldn't take those fuckers off, so again with the hand-picking.

In short:

empty whippet box posted:

The Restaurant Industry Thread: NO MORE GODDAMN STICKERS!!!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 24, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm going to dip into tipchat for a second because this effects most of the thread:

It looks like the spending omnibus bill had a bit about last year's DoL proposal about tip sharing in it. Specifically it appears to explicitly ban the house skimming off the tip pool. The new rule wants to see the paradigm shift to paying everyone in house full minimum wage and tip pooling for all non-managerial staff so long as the business is taking no tip credit on wages, which is how a number of places operate now.

The National Restaurant Association is manfully fighting against paying everyone at least minimum wage, though:

"The minimum wage, with all due respect, is a 1938 income support system for a workforce that worked in manufacturing and agriculture," said Cicely Simpson, executive vice president for public affairs at the National Restaurant Association, at a panel discussion last month. "In our workforce, we have people who drive an Uber during the day and work in restaurants at night. They have no desire to spend their entire career in an entire industry."

Oh for fucks sake "we shouldn't have to pay minimum wage because people are working 16 hours a day." Get hosed National Restaurant Association.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

What the gently caress. I am sure people love working 3 jobs to afford a poo poo roach apartment.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

You can easily live on $11/hr in Austin. You'll have to get a roommate, but that's par for the course as a student.

Also, gently caress the NRA, both of them

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

We start our J1s at $11/hr, and subsidize their housing, and they've told me they're making so much more money than they would be at home(most are from South Africa and the Philippines). Although I'm sure there are lovely people/companies taking advantage of them.

What is a living wage where you are

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You can easily live on $11/hr in Austin. You'll have to get a roommate, but that's par for the course as a student.

Also, gently caress the NRA, both of them

$22,000 is a living wage in Austin?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

$22,000 is a living wage in Austin?

If you're a single student living abroad for a year with roommate(s) it absolutely is.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I haven't looked into real numbers ever, but I'd assume you're part of the exception. Ours start at $8-9/hr, and we've got a deal with a local apartment complex. Four students in a 2 bedroom furnished with air mattresses and craigslist pieces, internet/cable not included. Only $400 a piece!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol @ not being able to live on 18 dollars an hour, literally anywhere in the USA. Meanwhile someone right down the street from someone 'not able to make it' making that much is forced to make it on 8 or 9 dollars an hour. I mean, honestly nobody in this country should have to work for less than 15 an hour but oh well.

Quabzor posted:

I haven't looked into real numbers ever, but I'd assume you're part of the exception. Ours start at $8-9/hr, and we've got a deal with a local apartment complex. Four students in a 2 bedroom furnished with air mattresses and craigslist pieces, internet/cable not included. Only $400 a piece!

If this is a 'deal' then I would really hate to see the regular rates.