Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/03/atlanta-city-government-systems-down-due-to-ransomware-attack/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/03/atlanta-city-government-systems-down-due-to-ransomware-attack/

efb

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Curling: The only Olympic sport where the silver medalists all look like various dads out drinking.

Only? You know there are a number of shotgun and rifle events where dad bodies are on display in their full glory as well. Completely shameful that bowling isn’t an Olympic sport by the way.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Today at work: "Town hall meeting" (i.e. a video presentation with attached all-hands moderated chat) about a new primary net connection / proxy server / etc which is going to be the Wave of the Future and Make Everything Better For Everyone:

Todd Smith has raised a hand
Moderator has unmuted Todd Smith

(Todd Smith) With the new server, is the company doing any sort of man in the middle SSL monitoring?
Moderator has muted Todd Smith
(Presenter) We have not started HTTPS / SSL traffic inspection with this change.

(Hmm. I noticed the careful way he phrased that without actually answering the question...)

You have raised your hand
Moderator has unmuted you

(sfwarlock) Were we already doing https / ssl monitoring before the change?
Moderator has muted you
You have been permanently muted
You have been removed from presentation audience "Tomorrow's Network Today"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

sfwarlock posted:

Today at work: "Town hall meeting" (i.e. a video presentation with attached all-hands moderated chat) about a new primary net connection / proxy server / etc which is going to be the Wave of the Future and Make Everything Better For Everyone:

Todd Smith has raised a hand
Moderator has unmuted Todd Smith

(Todd Smith) With the new server, is the company doing any sort of man in the middle SSL monitoring?
Moderator has muted Todd Smith
(Presenter) We have not started HTTPS / SSL traffic inspection with this change.

(Hmm. I noticed the careful way he phrased that without actually answering the question...)

You have raised your hand
Moderator has unmuted you

(sfwarlock) Were we already doing https / ssl monitoring before the change?
Moderator has muted you
You have been permanently muted
You have been removed from presentation audience "Tomorrow's Network Today"

Do not question our authority. Also hello to the packet sniffers at sfwarlock's place of work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Surely you'd know if SSL inspection was being done because the root certs would need to be on your machines

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Zil posted:

Also hello to the packet sniffers at sfwarlock's place of work.

Phone posting, yo.

Thanks Ants posted:

Surely you'd know if SSL inspection was being done because the root certs would need to be on your machines

It's not something I would have thought to look for before. Then again, I don't do personal poo poo on work machines anyways.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

sfwarlock posted:

Then again, I don't do personal poo poo on work machines anyways.

This is a solid and good rule. And one that has not steered me wrong.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I don't work in IT but a ticket came in regardless from my sister. She got a new job and she received training documents from her manager to read that turn out to be encrypted and she didn't get the details to decrypt them. So instead of following my careful suggestion of e-mailing her manager back for help on opening those files, she instead sees this as an opportunity to prove that she can come up with a creative solution and find the documents somewhere random on the internet.

I'll be pouring one out for the IT personnel that'll be assisting her in the future.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm uninformed in this regard, but curious. Can I get an explanation for this?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Crowley posted:

I'm uninformed in this regard, but curious. Can I get an explanation for this?

If you want to do SSL inspection by MitM, the inspecting device needs to be able to decrypt and re-encrypt the data. Because the inspecting device doesn't generally have access to the private key to the certificate the originating server uses, the inspecting device needs to use a different certificate that looks like, but is not, the original certificate. Usually this certificate won't be signed by a commonly trusted authority (nobody would give you a cert for google.com if you aren't Google), so instead it's signed by a private authority. If the clients being MitM'ed for inspection don't trust this private root authority, the user gets the usual certificate warning about an untrusted chain. So you'd install your private root certificate on the internal clients via group policy. But the user will still be able to inspect the certificate chain on their client and see that it's not the regular root.
However if you as a user can set up certificate pinning or similar, while your machine is not being MitM'ed, your client would still warn you that it's the wrong certificate for the service.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I thought it'd be something like that. Thanks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bob Morales posted:

edit: that reminds me of the custom email filter the owner of a place I once worked at had me set up. It had a crazy word list of things that would cause an email to be silenty forwarded to him. Certain product names, companies, words like resume, pay, etc
Hope nobody under him had the habit of phrasing restarting anything as "resume [X process]".

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

edit: that reminds me of the custom email filter the owner of a place I once worked at had me set up. It had a crazy word list of things that would cause an email to be silenty forwarded to him. Certain product names, companies, words like resume, pay, etc

This poo poo is beyond insane lol

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hope nobody under him had the habit of phrasing restarting anything as "resume [X process]".

I hope Bob had that habit after setting it up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oh poo poo. Stuff is about to get exciting.

Just had a talk with HR. At 3:45 they are firing someone who is 'known to get verbal and or physical'. I can think of a couple people out in the production floor that would fit the description, but they all go home at 3:00, so it has to be someone from the office.

So here's the floor layout:

They are going to bring the person into the conference room to sit down and talk. At that point they want me to go out to the front desk (the IT office is right by the front desk), get the lady that sits out there, and bring her into the IT office and close the door. Then I have to make sure the mystery person doesn't 'escape' or something and walks straight out the front door after they fire him.

:munch:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Bob Morales posted:

Just had a talk with HR. At 3:45 they are firing someone who is 'known to get verbal and or physical'. I can think of a couple people out in the production floor that would fit the description, but they all go home at 3:00, so it has to be someone from the office.

They are going to bring the person into the conference room to sit down and talk. At that point they want me to go out to the front desk (the IT office is right by the front desk), get the lady that sits out there, and bring her into the IT office and close the door. Then I have to make sure the mystery person doesn't 'escape' or something and walks straight out the front door after they fire him.

I appreciate the diagram.

Please report back

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

This is where you call the local police department and politely ask for someone to come visit if they have have someone to spare. Explain the past issues and the fear of this person being violent. At worst they say no.

If they do send someone, simply wait for the officer to get there and fire them then. Easy and done with.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

so you have to shut the front desk person in your office and then you yourself wait at the front desk to tackle this crazy person if they bolt?

HALT RIGHT THERE! *tackle* THEY'RE NOT DONE FIRING YOU YET

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bob Morales posted:

So are you going to tell the front desk person "Come with me if you want to live"?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bob Morales posted:

You haven't diagrammed the tranquilizer dart supply, was that intentional?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It must be pretty embarrassing to get tackled by the IT guy of all people.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My mental image of bob is as a big hairy biker dude, so this story all checks out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Are they worried about the person being violent or about him/her talking to others or about others knowing who they are firing or they street the firing?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Methanar posted:

It must be pretty embarrassing to get tackled by the IT guy of all people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Are they worried about the person being violent or about him/her talking to others or about others knowing who they are firing?

Apparently they might yell at the front desk lady or sucker punch her or something I don't know

I don't know who the person is, they might be from her old department (she was in customer service until last week) so maybe they hate her or something.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

My mental image of bob is as a big hairy biker dude, so this story all checks out.

He’s a weightlifter who was completely obsessed with bench at the expense of everything else, so not far off.

Seriously, though, they expect you to be ready to tackle the possibly violent employee? gently caress that. Bring front desk lady in, lock her and yourself in, wait until the guy is out one way or another.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Current status is they are waiting for the owners of the company to leave (they have an appointment at 4:30 so they should be leaving any minute) before they do this.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Bob Morales posted:

. At 3:45 they are firing someone who is 'known to get verbal and or physical'.

Oh nooo, someone getting fired might have WORDS TO SAY ABOUT IT.
BETTER GET OUT THE GODDAMN TASERS. WE GOT A TALKER HERE

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bob Morales posted:

Current status is they are waiting for the owners of the company to leave (they have an appointment at 4:30 so they should be leaving any minute) before they do this.

You're going to shut the door and do nothing no matter what this guy does, right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:siren:

Absolutely nothing happened. They sat down with him, someone came out and boxed up his desk, and the he left.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Bob Morales posted:

Absolutely nothing happened. They sat down with him, someone came out and boxed up his desk, and the he left.

What a letdown.
You coulda lied and said there was some gumballs and the deed to Draculas castle in his desk.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

There's still a valuable takeaway here about your current leadership's ability to manage risk.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

18 Character Limit posted:

There's still a valuable takeaway here about your current leadership's ability to manage risk.
I think they did a great job at managing risk, here. The owners left before they fired the guy; pretty much zero risk, see?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I think they did a great job at managing risk, here. The owners left before they fired the guy; pretty much zero risk, see?

They never, ever fire anyone when they are here. When they go on vacation, they bring the axe down.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bob Morales posted:

They never, ever fire anyone when they are here. When they go on vacation, they bring the axe down.

good way to motivate people to never take pto

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thanatosian posted:

And they left the big IT guy there as their security force!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A ticket came in:

quote:

Can someone please lock my account-my car has been stolen and it has my iPad and [company] email and contacts. Please call me at [wrong area code].111.2222.
Sent from my iPhone-Please excuse typographical errors

I'm reasonably certain she makes six figures.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A ticket came in:

I'm reasonably certain she makes six figures.

Whats the issue? That she made a typo with her phone number or that her car was stolen? IDGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That fact that she's notifying you that company data is out in the wild is a step in the right direction.

If you are not able to remotely wipe the ipad, that's a different problem.