Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

That fact that she's notifying you that company data is out in the wild is a step in the right direction.

If you are not able to remotely wipe the ipad, that's a different problem.

And not her problem either. You make your email accessible outside your space of administration you assume the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So the setup of Zabbix continues and I just spent all afternoon elbow deep in SNMP and...I kind of get it now? I made templates for our copier and rack AC unit that loving work and I am unreasonably proud of that.

I even think I can get this setup so that it will automatically order new toner carts when one runs out which would fuckin' own.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I agree, I was assuming that the iPad was company property.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Excuse me whilst I headdesk for a few minutes...

All y'all seem to have forgotten the magic word here:

L I A B I L I T Y

Bob, it doesn't matter if you're so beef that you flip over cars just brushing against them - if the company has not *explicitly* stated that you are expected to act in a hands-on manner as security, then *you* will be observing that bus undercarriage passing overhead. Your fault, the aggressor's fault, nobody's fault, doesn't matter - do you really think that this company will circle the lawyers for you? (Isn't this the fabled "no snacks"/"1/4 bagel" crew?)

I work in a non-clinical role at a behavioural healthcare provider - *everyone* gets MOAB (Management of Agressive Behaviour) training, with regular refreshers. This includes recognizing when poo poo is about to go sideways, trying to de-escalate, and what to do it someone is choking you or thowing a television set. They also explicitly state that you may defend yourself, but that if you physically intervene on the behalf of another, it's all on you. (Supposed to wait for the cops, by policy.) This is at a company that has nearly-daily police responses, ambulance runs and internal alerts to either come swarm someone, or to lock yourself in your office.

I haven't gotten the impression that your workplace is like that.

If your company (or anyone else's) asks for this kind of thing, that's where you clearly state that you need documentation stating:

what rules of engagement you are operating under
what limits you are supposed to observe in your actions
what legal authority you are being granted, and by whom
and what liability is being assumed by the company

All that poo poo needs to be on file, signed and dated, beforehand. "Other duties as assigned" does not cover being volunteered to be the bouncer, especially when civil (and criminal - you *are* conversant in your local/county/state laws regarding assault, correct?) charges may apply. That's what security and law enforcement is for - you don't call a plumber to build out your server farm, don't call IT to wrestle angry ex-employees.

All that is if you are being told to do so - if you are doing so on your own initiative, realize that you may be turbofucked sideways at a later date, and it is *highly unlikely* that your employer will touch that poop in any way shape or form.

(My own experience is from 10+ years back, when a psychotic man managed to force his way into our medical records department, injuring one of our staff in the process. With (at that time) no training or policy for such events, I followed him in, kept him distracted enough for the staff to exit, and convinced him that Jesus Christ wasn't back there today and if he'd wait in the lobby, someone would see him shortly.

(I ended up with a little "attaboy" certificate later, says not one loving word about *why* I was getting it, because I'm fairly certain there'd be heart attacks with the company attorneys and/or insurers should such documentation occur.)

(As for our curent policy, I will not state publicly what may occur if things go all pear-shaped. All I will say is that I know and understand company policy, and any actions taken (or not taken) will be my decision, and mine alone. Simply put, I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.)

tl;dr oh dear gently caress *NO*

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Zamboni I'm definitely agreeing with you but if you could just wait in the lobby someone will see you shortly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I work in a non-clinical role at a behavioural healthcare provider - *everyone* gets MOAB (Management of Agressive Behaviour) training, with regular refreshers. This includes recognizing when poo poo is about to go sideways, trying to de-escalate, and what to do it someone is choking you or thowing a television set. They also explicitly state that you may defend yourself, but that if you physically intervene on the behalf of another, it's all on you. (Supposed to wait for the cops, by policy.) This is at a company that has nearly-daily police responses, ambulance runs and internal alerts to either come swarm someone, or to lock yourself in your office.

Alternatively, you could copy the MOAB of a small business owner I know which states the location of the nearest pig farm and where he keeps the big knives and plastic sheeting.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Alternatively they could just not pay Bob any extra to be a bouncer to a potentially unstable employee. :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector_666 posted:

So the setup of Zabbix continues and I just spent all afternoon elbow deep in SNMP and...I kind of get it now? I made templates for our copier and rack AC unit that loving work and I am unreasonably proud of that.

I even think I can get this setup so that it will automatically order new toner carts when one runs out which would fuckin' own.

Then set up a Slack webhook so it will tell you on its own when stuff goes down overnight.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then set up a Slack webhook so it will tell you on its own when stuff goes down overnight.

I'm going to setup the e-mail alerting system next week. I have Slack set to DND mode on weekends and after hours.

But yeah, that's the easy part since Zabbix has that all built in.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I was mad when my new job as a tier 2 tech required sometimes taking out trash and vacuuming floors. No way I would agree to put myself in a position where I may have to wrestle insane coworker.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Could one of you at least point me in the direction of a good Powershell starter? This is nothing official, just a task I like to do every so often. I already know the commands, and have just been abusing the persistent scroll back buffer. I just need to know what basic structural stuff a Powershell script needs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The most basic form of a PowerShell script is just a text file with one command per line. Exactly like a DOS batch file or a Unix shell script.
If you then want to be able to pass arguments to the script, you can add a Param block at the top, to describe which you want. If you want the entire script to behave more like a full cmdlet with pipeline functionality you can use Begin/Process/End steps and the [Cmdlet] decorator.

Apart from that, the book "PowerShell in a month of lunches" gets recommended here every so often.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

nielsm posted:

The most basic form of a PowerShell script is just a text file with one command per line. Exactly like a DOS batch file or a Unix shell script.
If you then want to be able to pass arguments to the script, you can add a Param block at the top, to describe which you want. If you want the entire script to behave more like a full cmdlet with pipeline functionality you can use Begin/Process/End steps and the [Cmdlet] decorator.

Apart from that, the book "PowerShell in a month of lunches" gets recommended here every so often.

Mkay then. I figured it was a little more complicated. I just want what is basically a batch file to enter a folder, delete the files there, dump two other directories into files then concatenate them. Nothing big, but I wasn't sure, due to some experiences with other environments, if I had to do anything else.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Samizdata posted:

Could one of you at least point me in the direction of a good Powershell starter? This is nothing official, just a task I like to do every so often. I already know the commands, and have just been abusing the persistent scroll back buffer. I just need to know what basic structural stuff a Powershell script needs.

There's also a PowerShell megathread.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Mkay then. I figured it was a little more complicated. I just want what is basically a batch file to enter a folder, delete the files there, dump two other directories into files then concatenate them. Nothing big, but I wasn't sure, due to some experiences with other environments, if I had to do anything else.
You can do this with batch pretty easily, too.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cheers for the linkage.

Thanatosian posted:

You can do this with batch pretty easily, too.

I know, but at some point I need to get up with the times.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Samizdata posted:

I know, but at some point I need to get up with the times.

I've been saying that for six years already.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Powershell in a month of lunches is a great book if you're looking for proper study material.

There's also http://powershelltutorial.net/ which is a bit dated (it still says Powershell 4 is coming soon. Powershell 6 came out in January this year) but is still decent for learning the basics.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Welp, you guys steered me in enough directions, I got done what I need to get done (mostly - The text is being wrapped now, so have to figure that one out), so cheers on that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Samizdata posted:

The O'Reilly guys just tweeted that the first 90 pages of their Windows PowerShell Cookbook is currently free, hopefully this is helpful to you/someone: http://cdn.oreilly.com/oreilly/booksamplers/9781449320683_sampler.pdf

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sirotan posted:

The O'Reilly guys just tweeted that the first 90 pages of their Windows PowerShell Cookbook is currently free, hopefully this is helpful to you/someone: http://cdn.oreilly.com/oreilly/booksamplers/9781449320683_sampler.pdf

It's the first 87 pages, which covers all of chapter 1.

Still looks like a good resource for someone just get their hands on PowerShell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The powershell book is like a whole 35 bucks on the website. Out of all the dumb poo poo you will ever spend money on this won't be rank anywhere.

I promise you that if you do that book right you will end up being more competent than 70% of the sysadmins that have ever worked in the industry just from the book alone. I wish I was kidding.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

The powershell book is like a whole 35 bucks on the website. Out of all the dumb poo poo you will ever spend money on this won't be rank anywhere.

I promise you that if you do that book right you will end up being more competent than 70% of the sysadmins that have ever worked in the industry just from the book alone. I wish I was kidding.

I had to explain to a dude with 15 years more experience than me that no, you really don't have to remote into those 75 servers and expand their system partitions manually. Invoke-Command $servers { "rescan","select volume C","extend" | diskpart.exe } on a list of hostnames. Done in < 10 seconds. It's incredible how many (windows) sysadmins really have no concept of powershell or scripting in general.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

xsf421 posted:

I had to explain to a dude with 15 years more experience than me that no, you really don't have to remote into those 75 servers and expand their system partitions manually. Invoke-Command $servers { "rescan","select volume C","extend" | diskpart.exe } on a list of hostnames. Done in < 10 seconds. It's incredible how many (windows) sysadmins really have no concept of powershell or scripting in general.

"Shell" and "scripting" are linux things. Windows admins use RDP. Hell, windows admins when they have to install a linux server, they choose to install X11, and VNC into it and open up 100 terminals on that little desktop. :bang:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Actually Windows admins install a load of poo poo like LogMeIn or TeamViewer on domain controllers because VPN is :effort:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

Actually Windows admins install a load of poo poo like LogMeIn or TeamViewer on domain controllers because VPN is :effort:

I cry every time I see this poo poo.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

One of the first things I did at my current job was install RSAT to look after our local domain stuff. The other admins here thought it was some kind of black magic fuckery. I convinced one it was the best way. The others still use RDP and juggle RDP sessions between them.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

You might be amused and/or horrified by how many premiership football clubs had matchday board control PCs hooked up to logmein in the mid 2000s. I installed it on half of them.

Volguus posted:

"Shell" and "scripting" are linux things. Windows admins use RDP. Hell, windows admins when they have to install a linux server, they choose to install X11, and VNC into it and open up 100 terminals on that little desktop. :bang:

You mean a copy of Webmin?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Thanks Ants posted:

Doubly for MSP's. PowerShell and CLI in general is heavily locked down because phone drones aren't trusted with it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of rdp/remote control software windows admins started as phone support..

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I know that when I was at an MSP, we ran GoToAssist on everything. No-one wanted to spend the time to setup a management vpn unless you could bill the customer for it, and the customers never had an interest in paying for something that wasn't a direct and immediate benefit.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

The Fool posted:

I know that when I was at an MSP, we ran GoToAssist on everything. No-one wanted to spend the time to setup a management vpn unless you could bill the customer for it, and the customers never had an interest in paying for something that wasn't a direct and immediate benefit.

To be fair most MSP clients don't want to pay for anything that gives a direct and immediate benefit either. Most just want to pay the minimum possible to keep what fires they do have mostly under control.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MSP: Maintain Smouldering in Perpetuity

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh, look, you included my company in that :allears:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Gathering data from a single VM/Server? Just fuckin RDP to it unless you have copy/paste of what you need. Anything more than a single server? Remote powershell (if possible).

That's what I do anyway, sadly in one environment we are very limited in what we can do, if I want to run a powershell one-liner to grab a bunch of data form 10 servers? Gotta go through a CAB process. gently caress by the time that is done (minimum a week unless I do it as an emergency which will likely result in someone complaining about dodging processes) I will have no need for the data anyway.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

D34THROW posted:

Oh, look, you included my company in that :allears:

If it makes you feel any better, we use LogMeIn at my company and I like it a lot. :shobon:

One of our sales guys got phished today, and the ick his computer caught distributed itself to everyone on his contacts list. The neat thing about it is that it was smart enough to reply "yes" to any emails asking the sender if his email and its attachment were both legit. It got about a dozen people before the poor guy figured out he'd been fooled.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xsf421 posted:

Invoke-Command $servers { "rescan","select volume C","delete" | diskpart.exe }

OOPS :v:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I didn't know you could pipe commands to diskpart like that. Cheers thread!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I didn't know invoke-command could take an array, I've been wrapping it in a foreach

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I didn't know invoke-command could take an array, I've been wrapping it in a foreach
If I had to troubleshoot someone else's script, I'd prefer the foreach. Just helps make the logic that much more legible. If I'm slapping together something that I'm going to use once or nobody else will need to see, I'll pass the array.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Cheers. Snagging as we speak.