Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Jerusalem posted:

I dug this season too, though it certainly has plenty of flaws I felt it was better paced than the first season and for the most part I really dug the various character's storylines. The lack of a solid capital V villain like Kilgrave was noticeable though, but then I'm not really sure how you could follow up such a hosed up and well acted character like that without it feeling disappointing, so maybe it was for the best they didn't really try.

I'd still rank season 1 above this one, but overall I really enjoyed it, warts and all.

I liked it, too. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

I think the resources do draw from a pool, didn't they say they have XX number of episodes left in the original deal that have to be split between the shows?

The original deal was one season of each show capped off by Defenders wasn't it? I'd love to know what the original plan was for Defenders, because so much of it builds off of that second season of Daredevil, which was not part of the original plan.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

ymgve posted:

Wonder what was up with that aquarium episode ending. You hear someone yell "Help!" as the glass is about to crack, then it fades to credits. The next episode we just see a wet Jessica walking around on the street, putting her phone in a bag of rice. It feels like a whole superhero rescue sequence was planned in the aquarium, but they cut it out for some reason. Budget cuts?

More of a tangent so I don't think I need to spoiler.

That was a tiny detail that annoyed me a great deal actually.
1) salt water+electronics = *bzzt*
2) Putting a wet device in a bag of rice from lunch till dinner time won't do jack.

Over-simplified FX I can brush off. Poor editing in a fight I can grit my teeth through. But ignoring reality on smaller details like this drives me nuts.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ymgve posted:

Wonder what was up with that aquarium episode ending. You hear someone yell "Help!" as the glass is about to crack, then it fades to credits. The next episode we just see a wet Jessica walking around on the street, putting her phone in a bag of rice. It feels like a whole superhero rescue sequence was planned in the aquarium, but they cut it out for some reason. Budget cuts?

OH YEAH! haha I completely forgot about that. I actually expected it, I was thinking 'OK, hey're going to start the next episode with the glass wall broken, water on the floor, and a few fishes flopping around while Jessica carries someone out the door or something...'

But they did even less than that. It was actually funny

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

In IF2, Danny's fist will no longer glow, they'll just shine a flashlight at it

Not like it matters. He has to hit somebody with it to matter.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I enjoyed Season 2 also. Struck me as world-building as anything else.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

bring back old gbs posted:

OH YEAH! haha I completely forgot about that. I actually expected it, I was thinking 'OK, hey're going to start the next episode with the glass wall broken, water on the floor, and a few fishes flopping around while Jessica carries someone out the door or something...'

But they did even less than that. It was actually funny

I took it as Jessica being all "The aquarium isn't that loving big you babies. Its just water." & walking out while getting splashed.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So I watched JJS2 a weird way. Watched up to episode 11. Then the girlfriend started watching S1 and we watched the entire series together over the past couple weeks.

My god, the second season actually got worse as it went on.

Hogarth's storyline is great. I'm cool with how Malcomb ended up. But Trish, Alisa, Dr. Deadhead, IGH...it is all such an incoherent mess.

The lack of a stable plot that weaves all the stories together just really makes this show about a bunch of broken people and their broken lives, and I don't know if that works in a medium that really benefits from serialized storytelling.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just started watching Netflix Marvel in the past couple weeks. Don't care too !much about the timeline, so watched both seasons of Jessica Jones, both seasons of Daredevil, and Punisher in that order. Loved JJ1 and Punisher, JJ2 was kind of a mess but still liked it, Daredevil was okay.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Andrigaar posted:

2) Putting a wet device in a bag of rice from lunch till dinner time won't do jack.

Over-simplified FX I can brush off. Poor editing in a fight I can grit my teeth through. But ignoring reality on smaller details like this drives me nuts.

Plenty of modern phones are actually quite waterproof and you really only need to dry them to charge them again, I've dropped my phone in my hottub plenty of times at kept on using it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I liked this overall (how could I not after the embarrassments of Iron Fist and The Defenders) but the writing got really really bad towards the end. The stories they had going on were fine though. Just, like, while nothing was as bad as the TAKE ME TO SUPERMAX season one episode Jessica and her mom completely change their minds about what to do with each other like ten times over over a few hours and again felt like they just didn't quite reach 13 episodes worth of story. I liked Hogarth's story a lot and I'm glad Malcom got a little more to say and do and is hopefully gone.

I think they made a mistake killing Jessica's mom so definitively though, the actress is great and completely sells the Jekyll and Hyde thing. It's genuinely impressive how she's able to sell being vulnerable and a few seconds later being able to sell being able to rip you in half despite the show's low budget. Like in the moment of watching the show I never doubted that she was super strong. I'll miss the character in these shows.

The worst low budget thing is still in season one though when she has to get Kilgrave back from her childhood home to the city ASAP and flies with him. She starts to jump with him in tow and it just pans around to people reacting to it and talking about it super low budget grindhouse movie style.

I do think it's weird how we now have so many evil corporations that inadvertently make super powered folks/drugs. Like I guess super secret corporation that makes power-giving chemicals/processes is the Netflix Marvel equivalent of evil armor/robot derived from Tony Stark's research.

Patsy sucks rear end, and I'm already anticipating that she's going to be even worse if they do a season three just because of the budget. Like unless the actress makes like a Margot Robbie or Blade 1 Snipes level physical commitment this particular show displaying super agility/coordination is going to look really bad, and you already know the show's not going to have the budget/time to give her that the chance to even do that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
What are the odds that Infinity War will end with Luke Cage running onscreen, despite not appearing in the rest of the movie, and punching Thanos until he gives up? Because that would be great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
About as likely as Ben Affleck reprising his DD role.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

About as likely as Ben Affleck reprising his DD role.

Which would not be great.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just finished the season. I liked it a lot even if the plot meandered. It felt a bit like something Raymond Chandler would have written. (He didn't really care about tight plotting either.)

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Andrigaar posted:

Funny thing is that I noticed her phone is the iPhone 7 which is specially advertised as able to take a dip and be fine, so the same scene annoyed me for different reasons.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You still want to dry it, though. Just in case.

You know, for peace of mind.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I'm up to Jessica Jones Ep 09 of S02 right now (Mom just surrendered to the cops) and i like it. As mentioned multiple times before, this time it's more about the flawed characters dealing with real-life problems (addiction, problems with your parents, uncurable illnesses,...) and the choices they make rather than the chase for some super-evil. I recognize i probably wouldn't like it as much if i tried to bingewatch it as i did with Season 1.

Summary: Still good, but in a different way.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I kinda liked season 2 up through to the 11th episode. Had a lot of criticisms, but it felt worthwhile up to that point. The last two episodes changed my mind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finished it this afternoon. On the whole, it was okay - some good, some bad, but I think it needed a character or problem or event to hold things together more.

My feelings on the Netflix outings so far:

Good: Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones S1, The Punisher (this one still stuns me how good it was)

Okay: Luke Cage, Daredevil S2, Jessica Jones S2

Bad: Iron Fist, Defenders

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Wrapped up Jessica Jones Season 2 last night. I liked it a lot.

Not too much story slack, characters did stuff that led to consequences which made sense, Hogarth continued to own, the finale put together some solid table-setting for S3.

E: Things I'd like to see more of in S3: More insight into Hogarth's motivations & backstory, more of JJ doing detective stuff. Like Jim Rockford but with superpowers.

Well, that's my Jessica Jones Season 2 story, thanks.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 1, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I hope Kun Lun kills the Iron Fist.

He got bored and wandered off with a key security asset. The only way to recover that asset is killing him.

He deserves to die.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
*hyperbolic statement*

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Long fraturday on the punisher s2 set today we shot

zzzzzxxxxxxxx xfcccxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx ghhgcghjjj bvggh jjjbggjjjjjjjjh hhhhxcccccfghhiiuh vvfghjjv where Frank hjffcvjk uhfccvhukkbvcfhj kmvvh ikjgfd cvkkhgcv and then he ahahahaha suckas I will never violate my nda

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

theflyingexecutive posted:

Long fraturday on the punisher s2 set today we shot

zzzzzxxxxxxxx xfcccxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx ghhgcghjjj bvggh jjjbggjjjjjjjjh hhhhxcccccfghhiiuh vvfghjjv where Frank hjffcvjk uhfccvhukkbvcfhj kmvvh ikjgfd cvkkhgcv and then he ahahahaha suckas I will never violate my nda

take your meds

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

HIJK posted:

take your meds

Call time was 6pm, I’m tired.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Finished it this afternoon. On the whole, it was okay - some good, some bad, but I think it needed a character or problem or event to hold things together more.

My feelings on the Netflix outings so far:

Good: Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones S1, The Punisher (this one still stuns me how good it was)

Okay: Luke Cage, Daredevil S2, Jessica Jones S2

Bad: Iron Fist, Defenders

Kind of my thoughts now except swapping the Daredevil seasons because s2 has Frank Castle and s1 doesn't.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Daredevil S2 would have been redeemed in my eyes if Frank had used the minigun at the end. Such wasted potential.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zerilan posted:

Kind of my thoughts now except swapping the Daredevil seasons because s2 has Frank Castle and s1 doesn't.

I consider Daredevil s2 okay because the Punisher parts are good and the Hand parts are bad.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Where were you shooting?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Cythereal posted:

I consider Daredevil s2 okay because the Punisher parts are good and the Hand parts are bad.

Same, except for the Punisher parts in the trial. That was the lowest point in the season for me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Well, the guy who plays Black Bolt on Inhumans is joining Star Trek: Discovery. Unless it's just a guest role, this isn't a good sign for Inhumans.

Granted, there weren't many good signs about Inhumans

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I just never found Matt interesting enough to really get into DD1 as much.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The fight scenes in dd1 alone were enough to make it worth watching. Dd2 was even better.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lol what

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm prob the biggest DDS2 apologist in here, but the fights were nowhere near S1 quality.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Did you see the punisher jail fight? The stairwell fight?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Punisher jail fight: good

Stairwell fight: could have been good but it was filled with jump cuts that failed to line up and that obscured the fight choreography to the point of silliness

and then there was the loving ending rooftop fight which was loving trash

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Well, the guy who plays Black Bolt on Inhumans is joining Star Trek: Discovery. Unless it's just a guest role, this isn't a good sign for Inhumans.

Inhumans was already canceled, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

esperterra posted:

I'm prob the biggest DDS2 apologist in here, but the fights were nowhere near S1 quality.

And yet they were better than all the Punisher stuff