Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I was a hair away from buying the 55" TCL today. Guess I'm doing without a TV for another 6 weeks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Krailor posted:

We haven't seen any real reviews of the 6-series yet but, based on the strong performance of the P605/7, the answer is almost certainly yes.

They've also announced that the 6 series will be available May 1st but still haven't given us the pricing for the 65" version.
Yaaasss I’m lining up on May 1 to buy from... Best Buy?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Squaretrade sent me an x900e 65" and man is it awesome. Replacing a plasma from 2014. Funny they just ordered it from amazon and sent it to me.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Don Lapre posted:

Squaretrade sent me an x900e 65" and man is it awesome. Replacing a plasma from 2014. Funny they just ordered it from amazon and sent it to me.

That's pretty drat cool. Nice upgrade.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

wandler20 posted:

That's pretty drat cool. Nice upgrade.

It took some arguing. Squaretrade protip - dont take their 5th offer.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hey all I just recently got a 4K TV and I wanted to know a thing or two about watching 1080p Blu-ray stuff.

I have a standard Blu-ray player from some years ago and the only Blu-ray stuff I have is anime. True weeb poo poo. Would I need or notice any difference if I got a 4K upscaling player? If so, what’s a good one to get if I don’t necessarily plan on buying any 4K Blu-ray stuff any time soon?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey all I just recently got a 4K TV and I wanted to know a thing or two about watching 1080p Blu-ray stuff.

I have a standard Blu-ray player from some years ago and the only Blu-ray stuff I have is anime. True weeb poo poo. Would I need or notice any difference if I got a 4K upscaling player? If so, what’s a good one to get if I don’t necessarily plan on buying any 4K Blu-ray stuff any time soon?

Depends if you get a blu ray player with a better upscaler than your TV. Unless you are really investing in 4K disc content maybe don’t worry about it and figure out streaming high def stuff instead?

Does what you have now look good and make you happy?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Well I’m steaming all my 4K content anyway since my internet is fast as hell and I can get a 4K code for movies for under $10 compared to buying the disc for $30 etc. That and Netflix, Hulu and all that having their own 4K content.

Everything looks fine, yeah. But it’s one of those things where I’m curious if I could have “better.” I never knew 4K looked so nice, nor cared for that matter, until I had a 4K TV myself and watched The Revenant on it.

I’m not sure how to judge the upscaling aside from “looks fine to me.” I have an LG 55UJ6540, if that helps you help me

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You would just have to buy an upscaling player and see if you notice.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'd just stick with the TV upscaling it, I went through some of that with googling and all when I got a new TV cause I thought you needed a player to upscale but seems it's one of those things you won't notice unless you really scrutinize and look for the difference and/or if you're deep into it enough that you already know you need a fancy external one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, scalers in TVs are good now. I wouldn’t bother unless you wanted a UHD player.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don’t think I’ve seen any reasonable person say an upscaling player is worthwhile.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dogen posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen any reasonable person say an upscaling player is worthwhile.

They didn’t have the wire lifters installed properly or the crystals were out of alignment.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Don Lapre posted:

Out of curiosity, did they send a tech to your place to diagnose your set on site? I have a TV that is going down the tube slowly but surely, and I’m under warranty with ST until the end of this year.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They did not, mine was a plasma though and they made it out like they don't bother doing anything with plasma.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sony's 2018 OLEDs have pricing now. They are still more expensive than LG models, but not horrifically so.

55" $2800
65" $3800

That's about $300 more than the LG C8 which is oddly low for the Sony Tax.

They aren't launching with Dolby Vision though for some odd reason (might be due to the raised black issue that's being patched out right now), Dolby Vision will be added later.

I would love to have that Sony motion engine (though it remains to be seen if LG's new motion processing can compete) but I just can't give up 3d. I think I'm going to be holding on to my C6 for a good long while because of that alone.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It is too bad that television manufacturers appear to have bowed out of 3D. Plenty of movies continue to be released in it, and the brightness issues people had with 1080P home 3D are easier to manage with a 4K screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The passive 3d on LG's OLEDs is simply gobsmacking. It's better than any theater presentation I've seen.

There are several reasons for this.

1) 4k means passive full resolution 1080p 3d. No flicker
2) HDR capable means the TV has plenty of brightness headroom to overcome dimming of the polarized glasses on SDR content.
3) No backlight means the increased brightness from 2 doesn't elevate the black floor.

No crosstalk, just nice clear depth with great contrast. In a few cases, I actually prefer it to a 4k HDR presentation. I have 38 titles in 3d right now and it bugs me to think I might get to the point where I just can't watch that edition anymore.

I would really like to know what cost savings or technical limitation they are sidestepping by not including 3d on the newer OLEDs. AFAIK, it's just the removal of the polarization filter on the physical hardware side. It's not like the current TVs don't have enough processing power for it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
LG's lowest-end non-curved OLED 3D would be the E6, right? There's a part of me that would love to have one of these things before they're gone for good, but they already look hard to find. A place called "TV Superstores" has a 65" E6 for $2800, which seems really low compared to the next available price (an also suspiciously-named "TV's Daily Deals" at $3200). Do these placed deal in known faulty units or something?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Has anyone compared OLED with 3D to using an Oculus Rift to view the same content?

I only ask because the Rift is far superior in terms of 3D viewing compared to everything I’ve seen, but I haven’t seen 3D on an OLED.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I own both. I don't really have a way to view my 3d movies on the rift, but I don't think I would want to.

To get everything in your FOV, the resolution of the movie would likely end up being lower than 1080p. The lenses also aren't the sharpest thing in the world.

The rift is great for immersive 3d, but it really sucks for watching video IMO.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have a Rift too. I've watched some 3D movies with it and the 3D part is as good as it gets. Sitting with a VR headset on long enough to watch a movie sucks. The actual res ends up looking more like 480p or something. Also by far most 3D movies don't have good 3D and seeing it right there in VR shows a huge contrast between the really good 3D effect from the game engine and the prerecorded 3D from the movie. Personally I've never felt 3D add anything to a movie that was worth wearing a VR headset for. I did watch something with NASA astronauts where they got dressed and went up to the ISS that was shot in 3D and it was cool, but the whole point of it was to experience the scale of the Earth from space so 3D was pretty much the point of it I guess.

In other news I've heard rumblings that the 2018 Samsung Q9FN (their flagship TV) has FALD with 480 zones, some kind of screen coating that gives it crazy good black levels, much wider viewing angles than a normal VA screen, as well as really wide color gamut and peak brightness somewhere around the Sony ZD9, which is super bright. It's supposed to be $3800 for the 65" which is a lot better than last year's launch price. Grain of salt because no one has reviewed it properly yet. I'm looking forward to rtings.com getting their hands on one.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Hello TV friends. I am preparing to purchase a new TV for the first time in 12 years. My beloved Mitsubishi DLP has started eating bulbs at the rate of one every month or two and... well, it's time.

So I use my TV exclusively, 100%, as a computer monitor. My Mitsubishi is a 65" and I've never had any trouble with text etc. in any way, as I'm like 5 feet away or so from it when I'm using it. It's been over a decade since I've paid any attention to the world of TVs at all and so I'd love some advice, especially from people who are using their TVs specifically as monitors. It will literally never be hooked to anything but a computer, ever.

I'm also about to buy a new computer to go along with my new TV. I planned to spend about a grand on the computer and $800-1000 on the TV. Then I noticed that all the 2016 and 2017 model OLEDs are getting marked down to $2-2.5k and that's made me hesitate a bit. Anyone have experience using one of these 65" OLEDs as a monitor? Is the display good enough for what I'm going to use it for to be worth an extra $1000?

My current plan is just to buy the computer and an LED 4k TV and hold out for a few years till OLED gets cheaper and better, but I'm not crazy averse to the extra $1000 if it would be worth it. There's also the possibility of downgrading to a 55" OLED for like $300 more than a 65" LED, but I've really gotten used to this windshield-sized screen and I'm not sure I wouldn't regret getting a smaller one. I appreciate the poo poo out of any responses or help, especially anyone who's a big enough bad-rear end to give me a model # for a TV they're super happy with as a big monitor.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Don't get an OLED to use as a monitor. It will burn in

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Rtings has a category for TVs as PC monitors. Might be worth skimming.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I've been using a Samsung 49" connected exclusively to my main PC for a month now and I'm pretty happy with it. Cons are inherent to the panel (VA, so poor viewing angles and some ghosting) and backlight used (edge, so poor local dimming), none of which would be an issue with an OLED. I definitely would've picked a B7 if I could, burn-in be damned.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Has the LG B7/C7 65" been any less than $2700 in Canada yet? I keep see it fluctuating but right now it's at $3499

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 29, 2018

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I'm going to upgrade from my 10 year old Panasonic plasma and I'm kind of torn between a 65" LG B7 or the 75" Sony x900e. I don't really do much gaming anymore, it will be used mainly for sports and movies. My living room is 12x25 and the TV is going at the end of the room so I think bigger might be better, even though the seating will probably be at most 15 feet away.

Either one of them is going to be significantly bigger than my current 42" plasma and they are both well regarded. I know OLED is the closest I'll get to plasma picture quality but I wonder if an extra 10" of screen is worth going with the Sony.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Always go with the OLED.

Also you plasma people are bonkers. "Closest I'll get to plasma quality"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I have an OLED an f8500 plasma and now an x900e. The Sony is great but you don't get the crazy darkness and perfection as you do with plasma and OLED. I wanted the 900 cause it's 90% gaming now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm the crazy person with two X900e and one LG C6. I also have my somewhat splotchy Panasonic ST50 in the basement by the laundry.

C6 reigns for movies and top tier streaming (Hulu, Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go).

x900e kicks rear end for gaming and provider streaming apps due to the superior motion handling (FX Now, AMC, TBS, USA, Syfy, any of the live TV streaming services).

ST50 has good viewing angles I guess. Honestly though I would take the even the x900e over the plasma in a heartbeat today. The black levels are shockingly good on the x900e and while they can't touch the OLED in a very very dim room, any ambient light comes close to leveling the playing field.

Syfy and USA apps actually end up working out fine on the C6 as far as motion goes since they are actually native 24fps streams (not that 30fps abomination like FX Now, AMC, and Turner apps). I just usually shy away from using them on my C6 because their logos are a little too opaque for my tastes.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 30, 2018

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Sounds like a great reason to use content from Amazon since it seems most of their streams and episode rentals don't have logos.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes, but for the moment I'm paying for cable so shows though provider apps are free rather than $25 a season.

For shows I'm really into, I usually buy from Vudu or Amazon to watch them in best quality.

I just wish all network logos are like the ones on Hulu though Roku. They are tiny and like 25% grey. Not only are they not distracting, they have very minimal burn in risk.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

2018 LG oleds can detect and dim logos as well.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

2018 LG oleds can detect and dim logos as well.

Tell me more :fap:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I wish that we didn’t have bugs on streaming, period.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Plasma and OLED have a look that is very similar to each other and very different from any LCD I've ever seen. It's not just the black levels but also the uniformity in brightness and color across the whole screen and lack of shifting. When you get used to the way a plasma TV looks any LCD TV looks wrong in a lot of little ways that OLED gets right. I'm sure good LCD TVs like the x900e have better picture quality than any plasma ever made but it still looks like an LCD so the initial reaction from someone used to plasma is that it looks wrong. You'd probably get used to it over the course of one movie though and I doubt I'd be too upset if someone snuck into my house and swapped my plasma out for an x900e.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The main thing you notice on the x900e is the brightness, vs your plasma. But you know you are watching an lcd the moment anything bright is an empty dark display, or when black bars light up in sections from local dimming.

Being able to just leave poo poo paused on the screen indefinitely or not care if zeldas bright red hearts are there for 40+ hours is nice.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah, the list of things making me want to replace my TV include things like peak brightness, HDR and modern apps on the TV. Reasons to keep my TV are excellent handling of black bars and it still works so I may as well wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Don't LGs have a decent "degauss"-like feature for burn-in? Although it might be a manual instead of an automatic one.