Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Kicked Throat posted:

Yuhua looks fishier out of drag?

Right?

endolithic posted:

guys this sucks

I like everyone too much already and I'll be sad when they go home.

saaame

gandlethorpe posted:

Vanessa and her dockworker having a quinceañera aesthetic.

Fuckin' :lol:

I absolutely love that aesthetic too and am really bummed about not seeing more of it. There's a twist basically every season now, though, so there's a nonzero chance we'll see more.

e: Aw man, now I'm watching untucked and I want her to stay even more.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Kicked Throat posted:

Yuhua looks fishier out of drag?

Do you mean the cute Chinese girl they had hanging out in the workroom

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yuhua is def the trans woman pretending to be a guy at the producers demands of this season.

Or she's the rare "man I find attractive"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also it just really hit me that people who are 21 now were literally preteens when Drag Race first started airing. They've spent their whole coming-of-age period in a world where you could turn on a TV (or more likely fire up bittorrent) and see this show. My guess is that we're going to have more and more amazing young queens over the next few years who've been polishing their drag and their act since they were literal kids. That's amazing.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The moment I see Lactatia announced for S22 is the moment I turn into a pile of dust.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Trig Discipline posted:

Also it just really hit me that people who are 21 now were literally preteens when Drag Race first started airing. They've spent their whole coming-of-age period in a world where you could turn on a TV (or more likely fire up bittorrent) and see this show. My guess is that we're going to have more and more amazing young queens over the next few years who've been polishing their drag and their act since they were literal kids. That's amazing.

Something similar is happening with Survivor, which is currently in its 36th season (they do two a year). It first aired 17 years ago, and this season they've had two people who have been watching the show their entire lives.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

Something similar is happening with Survivor, which is currently in its 36th season (they do two a year). It first aired 17 years ago, and this season they've had two people who have been watching the show their entire lives.

For some reason I find that less inspirational. :-/

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

ulvir posted:

after that swell intro and first mini-challenge, I was really hoping for Ru in the workroom banter. I guess he just doesn’t care enough anymore :(

God, same. The best part about reality competition shows like this is the drama that comes from a contestant ignoring the advice of the person who's literally paid to tell them how to win the challenge. Are they going to turn it out and actually pull it off, or is their pride going to gently caress them up so hard they end up losing? Fuckin' love that poo poo.

Whalley posted:

Toast Museum posted:

Does Kalorie's face give anyone else thick Farrah Moan?
Kind of actually. I could stare at it for days, there's something loving intriguing about it

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

drat, I almost missed this by a whole day. Anyway that's what I call a premiere! The mini-challenge was a great way to give us a flash of the cast's personality, the queens mostly did a great job on the maxi-challenge (and I love that they're returning to traditional sewing challenges) and Christina's appearance was a fabulous cherry on top. It did a drat good job hyping me up for the rest of the season. I think this is the most charismatic and cutest bunch of queens we've had, too.

Some stray observations. "There are no accidents in fisting" was the quote of the episode and pretty much sold me on Miz Cracker. She's got a quick wit, she's got charm, and a great sense of aesthetics. I think she's the one to watch. Mayhem's got polish coming out of every pore of her body, too, and I'm pretty sure they'll both be the frontrunners of the season.

Eureka's brand of drama wasn't my cup of tea in Season 9, and uh, it's still not my cup of tea. She likes to draw attention to herself, and from the next ep's preview she looks like she's gonna hold more pity parties for herself, which I dunno, I personally find tiring. But I guess it's a given that she'll get some spotlight.

Aquaria's giving me Season 9 Aja vibes, confident but kinda lacks self-awareness, but I find her interesting in a droll kind of way. Funny to see a lot of people writing Kalorie off from the start, I don't peg her as the winner or anything but I find her charming. I loved her in the lipsync, she was giving me someone who's owning every bit of what she is.

And Yuhua continues to be delightful. :allears:

Also, I don't know if it's the new setting or new writers or what, but the judges appear to be enjoying themselves a lot more. And the queens' interactions themselves seem more organic than they used to be. Seems like the move to VH1 did Drag Race good.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Trig Discipline posted:

Aquaria's performance this season will prove if this is a good or bad thing, IMO, since she's an example of this as she's been watching Drag Race since S1.

So far, while I found Aquaria hot in boy drag, her personality is grating. Aja was at least funny in S9. One thing I like about her so far is that, on Twitter, she personally said that she will not tolerate fans attacking other queens while stanning for her.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I wouldn't put the whole goodness/badness of it on Aquaria's shoulders, but she's a data point for sure.

blizzardvizard posted:

Eureka's brand of drama wasn't my cup of tea in Season 9, and uh, it's still not my cup of tea. She likes to draw attention to herself, and from the next ep's preview she looks like she's gonna hold more pity parties for herself, which I dunno, I personally find tiring. But I guess it's a given that she'll get some spotlight.

Yeah I don't want to be uncharitable but Eureka bringing up the thing about her mom out of nowhere seemed a bit calculated, like she had decided that that was her emotional backstory this season and she wanted to get it out there as soon as possible. I'm absolutely sure that that poo poo really hurts (having been through something similar twice myself recently), but the way she dragged it out there as soon as she got the opportunity seemed a bit contrived.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And FWIW yes I do realize that I just brought up my own personal drama unsolicited in the context of complaining about someone else bringing up their personal drama unsolicited, and I appreciate the irony of that.

In my defense, I only brought it up to establish my own personal tragedy and ultimate redemption over the course of this thread as the season goes on.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
No one will be able to convince me that Monet is not Bob.

Miz Kracker is loving hilarious and I hope she gets under Aquariawhatever's skin until she chicken heads her way back to Brooklyn.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

What a premiere! This felt like OG Drag Race through and through, other than the lack of Werkroom Ru and Untucked still being just one room (but at least the girls brought drama!). Really happy with this batch of queens and even more happy I waited 'til last night to meet most of them.

Standouts for me so far are Yuhua, who I'm 100% rooting for to win right now, Cracker, Blair, Mayhem and Monique. I was really excited for Monet but she bumbled the hell out of the challenge, I'm amazed she wasn't in the bottom with that sponge dress. But I'm feeling pretty confident she'll step it up next week. At least I hope she does. She is 100% Pretty Bob but that's not a bad thing.

I pegged Kalorie as first out and I'm amazed she stayed in, especially because when it was down to her and Vanessa I was expecting Baby Mateo to turn it the gently caress out. Kalorie surprised me with that lip sync and deserved to stay, but Vanjie being gone is already a huge hole in my heart and in the confessionals because girl was loving hilarious. I hope we have a ru turning queen episode just so we can get 60 more minutes of her talking at the camera.

Blair St. Clair surprised the poo poo out of me. I was lowkey stanning her just because I love that bougie-rear end name so much and I'm glad it turns out she might be a real threat this season. She 100% looks like an 11 year old lesbian out of drag tho.

Also holy gently caress Yuhua is gorgeous.

e: oh and I was super underwhelmed by Aquaria this week. nothing to do with her attitude (which is about as entitled as I expected it to be, I'm not bothered by it), but her runway look was a choice. i get what she was going for but it didn't come together well in the end, for me, and for a girl known for having her mug beat to perfection I think her makeup looked pretty bad, which made it even funnier when she was whining about Cracker copying her. bitch they barely looked anything like eachother!

e2: michelle coming so hard for dusty's dots on the first episode was weird, but I wonder how the dots come off from the judges table, it probably looks messy. also the dots are awful and I hope we don't see them very often b/c other than that I like Dusty a lot

esperterra fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 23, 2018

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
Aquaria sounds like a more robotic Miss Fame without a single trace of the endearing chicken farm dorkiness. We’re probably stuck with her until the end.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Whaaaaaa?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

can someone gif Vanjie Mateo giving one tiny percent of a poo poo when Ru tells her she's special after deciding to eliminate her? total lack of reaction to the ceremonial niceness made me wish she stuck around a lot

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

alf_pogs posted:

can someone gif Vanjie Mateo giving one tiny percent of a poo poo when Ru tells her she's special after deciding to eliminate her? total lack of reaction to the ceremonial niceness made me wish she stuck around a lot

Her unmoving expression when Ru went 'Bam!' was what killed me.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

esperterra posted:

Her unmoving expression when Ru went 'Bam!' was what killed me.

She will probably get a chance to come back later but she seriously looked like she was going to kill herself. Very hard for someone when they build up such pressure on themselves and then stumble, I hope that she can recover. It's a tough field.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
She’s holding up well enough on insta that I either assume she got a chance to come back or she’s just coming for Tempests title of baddest bitch to go home first

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

She definitely made a great impression in one episode, she'll do fine.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

She’s holding up well enough on insta that I either assume she got a chance to come back or she’s just coming for Tempests title of baddest bitch to go home first

Are Laila and Shangela in that boat too? Because...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinwiz11 posted:

She definitely made a great impression in one episode, she'll do fine.

Yeah, lot of people upset she was first out so I'm sure she will be fine and end up being a popular Ru Girl even if they don't do a returning queen episode this year.

Honestly I could see her being the first queen to show up on All Stars as a first out queen. Seems like she left an impression on everyone at that judge's table.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Whether or not she shows up in a box next season or in All Stars, I just need assurance somehow that I'll see her somewhere because she was so cool! Seeing her leave on Untucked was heartbreaking. Especially when I don't think her look was the worst. There was a queen with blue and green pool noodles and not much else on. That one. That one was the worst to me and it was SAFE.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pan Dulce posted:

Whether or not she shows up in a box next season or in All Stars, I just need assurance somehow that I'll see her somewhere because she was so cool! Seeing her leave on Untucked was heartbreaking. Especially when I don't think her look was the worst. There was a queen with blue and green pool noodles and not much else on. That one. That one was the worst to me and it was SAFE.

The Vixen. overall i think she had the weakest first ep: her looks were all over the place and she seems eager to stir up drama that doesn't involve her in untucked

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Blair St Clair looks like Melissa Joan Hart when she’s in drag.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In honour of Miss Vanjie I'm going to rewatch season 3.

e: lol even though i've seen seasons 2 and 3 so many goddamn times I always forget they used to introduce themselves by their real names as well as their drag names

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

What a week it's been.
So much to talk about.
And so many things we can't talk about.

alf_pogs posted:

The Vixen. overall i think she had the weakest first ep: her looks were all over the place and she seems eager to stir up drama that doesn't involve her in untucked

her first line was "I'm here to fight". she's already established that bullshit drama is her #brand

so it'll be great when she gets eliminated. hopefully soon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GIVE THIS WOMAN A CROWN ALREADY

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Vanjie was such a good talking head, they really lost a great contributor.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pan Dulce posted:

Good news! Nearly everyone who even sniffs this show ends up getting invited to bars and clubs all over the country so you will likely be able to see her at a show or pageant at some point.

Lucania
May 1, 2009

zelah posted:

Blair St Clair looks like Melissa Joan Hart when she’s in drag.

He looks like a combo of the middle daughter (Frankie) from Better Things and a young Rory Gilmore out of drag.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

cis autodrag posted:

Good news! Nearly everyone who even sniffs this show ends up getting invited to bars and clubs all over the country so you will likely be able to see her at a show or pageant at some point.

Argh! It sucks having moved. I used to live in San Antonio and catch all the queens perform at the local gay bar or the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now I can only dream and plan accordingly if I want to watch any of them. I hope I can see Trixie for my birthday.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Finally watching the first episode

Is it just me or are there a lot of handsome men out of drag this season? Dang.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Tendai posted:

Finally watching the first episode

Is it just me or are there a lot of handsome men out of drag this season? Dang.

Pretty much this whole cast is attractive men. They're also attractive in the "take home to meet mom" way.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pan Dulce posted:

Argh! It sucks having moved. I used to live in San Antonio and catch all the queens perform at the local gay bar or the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now I can only dream and plan accordingly if I want to watch any of them. I hope I can see Trixie for my birthday.

Trixie is great live. I used to see her all the time back in Milwaukee. I'm sad she moved so far away from me :)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kameron is a complete butterface imo, but yeah this whole cast is generally hot or cute.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

esperterra posted:

Kameron is a complete butterface imo, but yeah this whole cast is generally hot or cute.

Would you believe a teenage boy called me this in a store the other day? Everything old is new again.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

esperterra posted:

I think it's all the botox and fillers he's had done. While botox and fillers might minimize wrinkles, they have a tendency to make people look unnatural, and older than they really are (given that people generally get them when they're older, so it's now become a sign of old age).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Butterface went away???

Sad.

• Locked thread