Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

That trip up to Fortree was the best 'adventuring' route in the series so far. Lots of weather, elevation changes, puddles and terrain and bridges, great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I've used Castform before. It's not good, but Weather Ball makes up for it. During the main game at least. Keep that weird little ball of fluff far away from multiplayer, cause it won't last long.

Speaking of, are there any gimmick pokemon that are actually Good? I can think of exactly one that's genuinely really good and fun to use, and that sad little murder monster didn't come until Gen 7.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Depends on what you'd consider a gimmick. (Protean Greninja? Drizzle Politoed? Shuckle? Smeargle? Pyukumuku?)

All of those things I listed have seen at least some play.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

quote:

gimmick 'mons
How about Citizen Snips? Acupressure gives you a random stat boost, Knock Off is your attack, and Rest-Talk gives you stalling. The idea is you spam Acupressure until you're fully powered up with every buff in the game, evasion included, and then you just roflstomp the guy.

Citizen Snips (Drapion) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Acupressure
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

How about Shrekle? Same Acupressure trick as before, but it leads into Power Trick to give you something like 5000 attack

Shrekle (Shuckle) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Power Trick
- Acupressure
- Rollout

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 19, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I vote for Hetty.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like Castform. Shame it's not very good, though.

Chaos Fractal
Jan 1, 2018
I vote for Chucky or Annabelle depending on gender

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Speaking of, are there any gimmick pokemon that are actually Good? I can think of exactly one that's genuinely really good and fun to use, and that sad little murder monster didn't come until Gen 7.

Wobbuffet was in Ubers for a few gens. Smeargle was also OU at one point and is pretty usable in general.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wobbuffet was in Ubers for a few gens. Smeargle was also OU at one point and is pretty usable in general.

Aegislash was banned as well

I think Castform could have done pretty well if its form change shtick came with stat boosts. Like you clearly want to run it with weather, so it'd make sense to make it stronger across the board buuut no, all 70s

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, voting is closed, with Calbrena winning with 7 votes! Cheers everyone, nice spread of names this time around.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Treefort city? Treefort city? Oh many there's gonna be so many rope ladders and ziplines, this'll be great.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 16: Tree Flight

Fortree City

It's the city of Fortree, where the houses are trees and the people are probably trees too.

Fortree City/Hiwamaki City: The treetop city that frolics with nature.
From fort and tree, or fortress, and hiwa (light yellow-green) and maki (yew plum pine).

I'm glad we're finally in good item territory, always good to stock up for the various roads ahead.

Treeeeeeeeeeehouses!!!

"I'll do anything for it!"

...Uh... did you hear that? My shout from the bottom of my heart? Having heard that, you will trade your VOLBEAT for my PLUSLE, won't you?

Eh, I guess. If you lucked out and found a 2% Volbeat, you can save having to catch a 2% Plusle. I don't really care about such things, so now I have two Plusle.

I'm going to make VOLBEAT super strong from this moment on! I hope you do the same with PLUSLE!

We don't even get an item for it, just some lovely Mail. Oh well, such is life.

Let this old woman see if your hidden power has awoken... I hold a coin in my hand. Now, tell me, have I palmed it in my right hand? Or in the left?

Right, right, left.

Hidden Power is alright if you get the right IVs for coverage. Since I'm running with random Pokemon, the best I've got is 61BP Fire for Nobunaga. I'll pass.

I can teach your POKEMON how to SLEEP TALK instead. Interested? Oh, fine, fine. You want to stay awake with HIDDEN POWER, too...

One day we'll reach the good move tutors. One day...

Can't enter the Gym just yet, but there's still one more hut of interest.

Want some tables and chairs? Even more stuff for our eventual Secret Base.

Route 120

That's all we can do for the moment, so let's see what we can do otherwise. Oh, by the way, click that music link. Do it. NOW.

Ah, finally.

It's a Dragon, we haven't had one of those before (since I never used Kingdra) and it's not too amazing compared to all the other strong Dragons in the game. It has pretty mediocre attacking stats and is instead a relatively speedy tank. Well, it's Sp.Def doesn't protect it from a 4x weakness to Ice and the best Flying move it learns is Aerial Ace. Not too great there. However, it can learn a lot of different special moves, like Fire Blast and Ice Beam, as well as Earthquake and even Dragon Dance, if you wanna sweep somehow. It'll do, but there are others that absolutely blow it away.

"So I shield them with my parasol."

At least Wargreymon evolved when we had Nimbus, but he still needs to evolve once more.

Also since Nimbus doesn't have, or need, Secret Power anyway, she can have the Amulet Coin, while Ranmaru gets the Twistedspoon.

I should've talked to Ty instead, since we've seen what Gabby says when we fight them again.

(TY) Hey, lookie here! I remember you! I'll get this battle all on this here camera!

(TY) You're a natural! Got some prime footage right here!

Uh sure, whatever.

Your POKEMON were stronger... You can be counted on to get better. I'd like to register you in my POKENAV! A POKEMON that grows steadily is one you can count on.

Oh hey it's that stoned guy, whatever his name was.

Now, if I were to use this device on the invisible obstacle... No, no. Rather than describing it, I should just show you. That would be more fun. YUKI, are your POKEMON ready for battle? YUKI, show me your true power as a TRAINER!

What a surprise, the invisible blocks around here were Kecleon. Well hey, might as well catch it.

I wonder how many more of these are around?

I'd like you to have this DEVON SCOPE. Who knows, there may be other concealed POKEMON.

I enjoy seeing POKEMON and TRAINERS who strive together. I think you're doing great. Well, let's meet again somewhere.

Farewell for now, probable Batman.

Now we can get to the delicious items down here.

Thankfully we don't need to fight them and, uh, this whole mechanic is kinda pointless. There's only a few hidden Kecleon around here and only one more, the one in front of the Gym, actually have a point to them. The rest of them are just in random places, so I wonder why we needed to waste the Key Item slot.

Ooh, a secret cave.

Well that was kinda neat, but why is there a random cave here? Well, in regards to the region this, uh, region is based on, this cave is based on the Ama-no-Iwato, where the sun god Amaterasu was forced to by Susano'o, the god of storms. How interesting!

Sup? Let's catch some Pokemon.

We can finally catch dark doggo.

...Kecleon could've been encountered as early as Route 118, but it's only a 1% encounter. I'm kinda scared how randomly lucky I'm getting.

I wonder what Absol is doing in this area to warn us about? Is the Gym Leader evil?

Thankfully we don't have to fight every Kecleon we uncover, but I think only two or so actually flee.

...there's really nothing here? The gently caress?

Well that was fun, off to the Gym!

Pokemon Gym

She's waiting at the back of this GYM, behind the rotating doors. She's waiting for new challengers who are trying to take wing! Okay, go for it!

Turntable puzzles are this Gym's deal. Shouldn't be too bad.

You'd better watch it! Don't get distracted staring at WINONA or you'll go crashing down in a heap!

Since we've found a lot of Flying types so far, the Gym won't really have anything new for us, unfortunately. But that doesn't mean nothing new is gonna happen.

Now with Leaf Blade, this line became much easier to use and it only gets slightly better from here. Before you start thinking of all the cool special moves you'll get to use with that Sp.Atk, it'll only be Dragon Claw. Hey, that's not too bad, but you'll have to go physical the rest of the way. So Earthquake, Brick Break and Aerial Ace seem like the best choices. You won't be learning anything interesting anymore, so stock up with TMs and you'll do just fine. This region has a poo poo ton of Water routes, after all.

FIRE/FIGHTING. With Blaze Kick to actually give you a good Fire move and Slash not far ahead, this chicken will do just fine. However, if you're thinking Sky Uppercut would be useful here, it's not until level 59, so Brick Break will have to do and that's still a bit away. Earthquake and Aerial Ace to close it out and, uh, that's your lot. I know I keep using the same moves over and over again, but you really don't have other options and those are stats you can't ignore, they're great! It does have quite a few weaknesses though, but it's not like there's a load of water areas coming up, right? Hahaha.

Another physically strong starter, with STAB Earthquake to (eventually) abuse and plenty of Water HMs to teach it! Oh yeah that's right, even though it doesn't have the greatest Sp.Atk, it'll be your Surf, Waterfall and Dive user, no room for Earthquake AND Ice Beam on this set, gotta use those HMs! Not that it really needs anything else, its exclusive move of Muddy Water is just a less accurate Surf, big deal. I guess you can give it Iron Tail or Brick Break, but you don't wanna have to lug around a Water Pokemon, right? You'll also find the Earthquake TM well before you actually learn the move itself.

"Do you have the smarts to get to our LEADER?"

You wait a fair while for evolutions and then two come at once. As if we weren't overpowered already...

Pretty easy puzzle to solve, but there's one left.

"I'm plenty good enough for you!"

Plenty of bird brains around. Uh, here in the bird brain Gym. What a surprise.

WINONA, I... I lost! WINONA is cute and she's strong. She's the ultimate LEADER! Blush...

It was too much of a load for me to bear... The world is huge, and there are countless tough TRAINERS. I'm going to keep training and make myself even stronger.

Sure, you beat me all right. But you'd better watch it! Our LEADER WINONA's POKEMON are all business.

Can you solve the puzzle?

Uh yeah, they're not difficult in the slightest. Time for the Leader!

However grueling the battle, we have triumphed with grace... Witness the elegant choreography of BIRD POKEMON and I!

VS Gym Leader :siren: VS Leader Winona :siren:

Winona/Nagi: The bird user taking flight into the world.
From winnow, an air current separating heavier and lighter objects and wind, and from nagi (Asian bayberry, or calm/lull).

Good job guys. I hate that I have to use Iron Tail.

But there we go, Swablu should never be a problem, neither should the Swellow in RS be either. Aside from the newly added Tropius as well, Winona's team doesn't change and features basically all the good Flying types the region has to offer.

She's going straight to her ace, so we should be able to deal with that no problem.

Unless that happens. Man, I could've lived two of those easily if it hadn't crit.

I also don't know why it has an Oran Berry. Oh well, makes my life easier.

Nimbus is here to save the day. Dunno why it's making its Aerial Ace stronger, it knows Dragonbreath.

It seems like the Oran Berry kept it from dying, so, uh, gently caress it completely, actually.

I shouldn't be fancy trying to finish it with Steel Wing as you should never use moves that aren't 100% accurate all the time, but... it just keeps using Dragon Dance. Sure it's a Dragon move, but it's not doing any damage, my dude.

Oh well, let's see what everything else does.

If, you know, I didn't 2 shot it. Perhaps, just maybe perhaps, my team is a bit strong.

So far this Pelipper has done gently caress all. Big strong Nobunaga has this in the bag.

Especially when that happens, yowza.

I, uh, think we're in the clear here. Aerial Ace has 60BP, 20PP and bypasses accuracy checks. Unfortunately for a lot of Flying types that don't learn *snicker* Sky Attack, this is the strongest STAB move they'll get.

"than I..."

In recognition of your prowess, I present to you this GYM BADGE.

Pokemon Gym

"trades, will obey your every command."

You will also be able to use the HM move FLY outside of battle. And this... this is a gift from me.

Its speed... no POKEMON should be able to avoid it. Though I fell to you, I will remaining devoted to BIRD POKEMON.

Well that was Winona. She sure had a charact- er, she sure had strong Poke- er, she was definitely the 6th Gym Leader. Yep.

Fortree City

Your strength... perhaps you really are the TRAINER that I've been searching for. Remember, you have a fan in me. I'll be cheering from the sidelines. Keep up the great work!

With those words of encouragement and our new HM, we're now ready to head off to the next city for another grand adventure!

Alright fine, I'll catch a loving Feebas.

You know, when I actually hook something. Sigh.

Wouldn't it have been so cool if that had just been it? Well, on the entirety of Route 119, there are 6 water tiles that have a 50% chance of fishing up Feebas. You might have noticed there's a lot of water tiles on this route. So many that no one's really counted them. You can use any rod for this and you have to fish in a tile multiple times JUST IN CASE, since it's not a guarantee.

Once you're sure that tile doesn't contain Feebas, just move on to the next one and try again. And again. And again. AND AGAIN. Until you finally fish one up. Once you do that, you can breed them and never bother with it again. The only positive aspect to this garbage system is that whenever the trendy saying in Dewford changes, so too do the Feebas tiles, though they're unrelated aside from that. So, if you find a Feebas tile, you can mix records with a friend and they'll find Feebas in the same tile.

Wow! Look at that! I found one. What. Are. The. Chances. Yeah, I hacked one in (and also learned the codes don't apply to fishing encounters) and there we go, that's how you find a Feebas. As easy as that.

Oh and catching a Feebas in DPP is even worse, so I've got that to look forward to as well! Ah, jk, I'll be hacking it in that time too.

Route 120

Onwards to the next city!

It's raining again.

The move FLY is convenient, don't you think? While the POKEMON is flying, almost no moves can strike it.

If any one of them is missing, the picture of beauty will be ruined.

Oh hey it's that weather thingy I forgot about already.

I think it's awesome you're so strong battling with your favorite POKEMON.

A parasol wouldn't suit you at all. Why, something like this would only get in your way.

"I bet you didn't know where I was!"

Have I mentioned how much I love double battles yet? Cause I do, they're great.

I wonder... should I evolve my POKEMON? They're cute the way they are, though.

Our camouflage cloaks are all handmade.

Ew, it's all wet.

"TRAINER, learn about them."

The special abilities of POKEMON will make battle styles change.

It's a grass maze! How puzzly.

"rough time in critical situations."

Fitness training is in my routine. I always run with my POKEMON.

Man these things are everywhere.

Like I say to everyone that uses healing items in battle: stop that.

To travel wherever your heart desires with POKEMON... that's the joy of being a TRAINER.

Phew, we're out of there.

Nothing down on that shore aside from Secret Base areas. Hrm.

Lost it... ... ... ... ... Do you have a POKENAV...? ... ... ... ... ... ... I'll try harder...

Weird guy, but he's also good, as I'll go over later.

It's an expression of love, isn't it? Yes, yes. You understand what I mean. You should take this.

Yeah it's a little bit rare. This woman will give you a single berry each day, but what it is depends on your last ID number. 0 or 5 gets you a Figy Berry, 1 or 6 is Wiki, 2 or 7 is Mago, 3 or 8 is Aguav and 4 or 9 is Iapapa. All of these berries restore HP by 12.5% when they go under half, but confuses the Pokemon if it doesn't like the flavour, depending on its Nature. This woman is the only way to get Wiki, Mago and Aguav berries, so you better hope you have the right ID number!

Berries here, get your berries here!

Before I looked into Kecleon locations, I had no idea how many there were I didn't know about.

More good poo poo, oh baby!

The creation of new ninja techniques is but a distant dream... Perhaps I ought to apprentice under a ninja sensei.

Are you perhaps searching for ancient ruins that are rumored to possibly exist according to legend?

That giant rock... I would like to believe it may indeed contain ancient ruins. But I see no entrance.

Hey, no sneaking in the back way! Anyway, that's the last Kecleon we can find. Seriously, that was the Devon Scope. What a useful item.

Now it's been around 300 images, so this part should be ending? Well, we're gonna quickly catch something here.

After, uh, literally every previous Ghost being a special user despite the Ghost type itself, it's great to finally find one with high Attack! Hopefully that stays forever. Anyway, all you'll get is Shadow Ball, it doesn't really learn that many moves, especially during level up. Like hey, do you want Faint Attack? Well you might have to, since the TM for Shadow Ball isn't far off, but aside from some cool special moves, you'll be using, uh, Return, for your physical coverage. I sure know how to pick em, don't I? Also holy gently caress this thing is frail, keep it away from Ghost and Dark types. Or just strong attackers in general.

Insomnia prevents the user from falling asleep from moves like Rest, or from Spore and Yawn and such. It's helpful, but nothing too exciting.

Finally, our fifth team member. I wish I could've caught it on Route 123 so the rest of our team didn't go wildly out of control in levels, but hey, I'm sure it'll be fine. Thanks to Solumin for this nickname.

...Timid? Seriously? Goddammit, that's +Spd -Atk, which, uh, isn't great for a physical attacker, I'll be honest. Oh well, it'll have to do, so let's see how Calbrena does next time.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 24, 2018

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Yup, that sure was a gym battle of some sort. If you don't prepare for her dragon, you might be in trouble, but I always overprepared myself. I always wanted the ability to Fly around. Quick access to all those routes full of 'mon that I didn't catch with quick balls? Yes please, let's fill out my 'dex!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow, I didn't even know there were so many Kecleon around. I think I only found the ones you absolutely had to and the item one, I've definitely learned something about them and their locations.

Winona was always a pain in the rear end for me as a kid. I only had Blaziken and that matched poorly against Altaria, giving me a very harsh fight. Also once I ran out of battery literally while saving after beating Winona, and that was not fun and I'll be mad about it forever. I had a really easy time in OR though, since I had my own Dragon in Mega Sceptile.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I wasn't as high leveled as you so I did have troubles with Winona from time to time. Dragon Dance boosted Earthquakes & Aerial Aces are no joke.

Also yeah I think something is wrong with the AI in this game. It just feels like it "breaks" sometimes? Like it will keep using a move over and over and over again to no clear benefit. Several times I swear I had the AI use a boosting or debuff move despite it literally having no further effect

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

It probably sees that 'Oh, the Dragon type kills things pretty dead.' Or maybe it thinks that the stat boosting move has a power value when it clearly doesn't. It might think it's going for the OHKO when the reality is it's only boosting its stats. Who knows? They certainly improved it in later generations. Pokemon don't use moves that have no effect if they can avoid it...If they don't know it doesn't have an effect. A Psychic won't use Psychic moves on a Dark type unless it's their last move, but if a Pokemon has Clear Body, the CPU will spend all day trying to lower their stats.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
AI isn't easy to do. It works in 95% of the battles, and they don't want it to be too good because this is a game for children.

Route 120 is one of my favorite tracks in the whole series. It's so upbeat and adventurous!

:3: I named a pokemon! I've never used a Shuppet before, so I'm interested in seeing how well Cal[ca]brina does. (It looks like there was just enough room for those last two letters? Eh, detail schmetails.)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Route 120 is the ultimate Hoenn track with all those trumpets. I am also pretty mad about you getting to play so many double battles in this, in the remakes there's like a third of them? The hell is wrong with you, Gamefreak.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
Glad to see you're using Shuppet, its evolution is one of my favorite Pokemon and it served me pretty well in my ORAS playthough!

An interesting thing is that, if you want to catch anything on these following few routes, it's actually relatively easy to come here before defeating Winona and train it here on those trainers, because they're pretty easy to avoid and there are a lot of them. I did it during my last playthrough to catch my last team member. It was an... interesting playthrough, considering I used both Illumise and Castform. They actually pulled their weight pretty well for a while, too!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Gosh, what a fantastic piece of music :allears:
The ORAS version is even better

E: Actually, now that I'm listening to it, all of Hoenn's music is fantastic. Here's the Ashlands/Desert tune from ORAS, even better than before.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 21, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

as a young man I once caught a Feebas in DPP the old-fashioned way. it, uh, took a while. Milotic owns tho, I kinda wish it would have gotten a Mega to complete the Gyarados comparison

this LP has started up my itch to play Pokemon again, but it'll have to wait

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Crosspeice, who did you piss off to get such terrible natures? (For those that don't know, Timid raises Speed and lowers Attack. As you can guess, this is terrible for Shuppet.)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, shoot, I didn't list what it was, cheers for that.

I'm not bothered about Natures for SP, since I roll with whatever I get and it very rarely comes up (not that I'd ever notice or remember anyway), but there's very few natures that actually work (and even less for mixed attackers), so it always feels like you're not getting the best deal.

Also Solumin, you're totally right that Calcabrina would've fit, I was seeing it as 11 for whatever reason. Whoops!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 21, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Thadius posted:

It probably sees that 'Oh, the Dragon type kills things pretty dead.' Or maybe it thinks that the stat boosting move has a power value when it clearly doesn't. It might think it's going for the OHKO when the reality is it's only boosting its stats. Who knows? They certainly improved it in later generations. Pokemon don't use moves that have no effect if they can avoid it...If they don't know it doesn't have an effect. A Psychic won't use Psychic moves on a Dark type unless it's their last move, but if a Pokemon has Clear Body, the CPU will spend all day trying to lower their stats.
They introduced an extra flavor of that fun in Gen 5, because the AI has no clue how to handle a disguised Zorua.

Disguise it as something weak to Psychic and the AI will keep using Psychic moves over and over and over, despite them doing nothing each time.

Kikas posted:

Route 120 is the ultimate Hoenn track with all those trumpets. I am also pretty mad about you getting to play so many double battles in this, in the remakes there's like a third of them? The hell is wrong with you, Gamefreak.
I find it kind of weird how much they've veered away from having many in-game double/triple/rotation/etc battles, seeing as doubles is the usual official tournament format. Nevermind how many moves/abilities/etc are worthless outside of doubles.

The same reason they do it in tournaments(faster battles) would make sense for in-game scrub trainers, too. Instead they've apparently to speed things up by making sure nobody(not even rivals/team bosses/etc) gets anywhere near a full team of Pokemon until the very end of the game. :sigh:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Ugh, catching Feebas. I actually did this legit, once; it honestly wasn't as bad as I expected, I think it took me 3-4 hours or so. Though it's very frustrating the farther along you get, that niggling feeling of "what if I missed the spots due to not fishing enough times, the RNG could be trolling me" keeps intensifying the fewer spaces remain to try. The thing that annoyed me most about it, though, is that RSE fishing mechanics require you to pay attention and time button presses, so you can't use emulator speedup to expedite it as much as you otherwise might. At least once you find a spot, they have a 50% encounter rate (and 255 catch rate) so you can catch loads of them to hopefully get one with decent nature and/or IVs.

I don't blame you hacking it in.

Part of me thinks Feebas and the like are pretty cool secrets, but at the same time I think it's terrible game design. I don't understand how the player is supposed to figure it out (or how to evolve it, for that matter) without either buying a guide or some kind of datamining. As far as I know, the only potential hint you get is seeing a trainer with one and then using the pokedex habitat feature to figure out which route they're on? I certainly don't recall any hints about how to evolve it anywhere in the game...

About the "rare" berries this lady gives you - thankfully, berries 11-15 aren't too useful, though it's still frustrating having that gap in your berry list unless you trade. Conveniently, there are two of them (Figy and Iapapa) available to all files, and each nature dislikes at maximum one of the berries, so any pokemon could use one or the other without penalty if you really want to. (Why you'd want to is another question, it's really hard to justify using these berries over Leftovers or something. Until S&M buffed them, anyway, now they heal a ludicrous 50% and are probably well worth it although I don't actually know if they're seeing competitive use.) And for Pokeblocks they're actually terrible, but we can talk about that later.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
RSE was the playground secrets generation. Anyone who lived through the first Pokemon craze remember the stories: pushing the truck to find Mew, a level 100 Charizard being able to Cut through the borders that stopped you from going out of bounds, Missingno... Those urban legends (some of which were true!) were a huge part of Pokemania.

Game Freak tried to capitalize on that by adding mechanics that followed the same mold. The Regis are the best examples of that (the directions for unlocking the chambers sound like urban legends), but I would count Feebas and Mirage Island as other examples.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I got my Feebas off wonder trade. Now I return the favor by wonder trading away breedject Feebas and Dunsparce. gently caress rare pokemon. Between high defensive stats, electric weakness only, and access to both scald and aqua ring Milotic is really quite good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Solumin posted:

RSE was the playground secrets generation. Anyone who lived through the first Pokemon craze remember the stories: pushing the truck to find Mew, a level 100 Charizard being able to Cut through the borders that stopped you from going out of bounds, Missingno... Those urban legends (some of which were true!) were a huge part of Pokemania.

Game Freak tried to capitalize on that by adding mechanics that followed the same mold. The Regis are the best examples of that (the directions for unlocking the chambers sound like urban legends), but I would count Feebas and Mirage Island as other examples.

That stuff came back with a vengeance in Gen VI, giving us the awesome thing that is "evolve this Pokemon by holding your 3DS upside down". But at least that one only needs a guide and not a guide and completely random luck. Feebas and Mirage Island are terrible.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah I haven't really thought about it much, but I don't know what I'll do about Mirage Island. Hopefully there's a way to hack it in, or to see the numbers so I can make a Pokemon show it, or just get super lucky and get it legit for the first time in my life.

I think I know which options I'd rather choose.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Crosspiece, someone made a program that'll take care of all of that, if you want to use it:
https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/33817-mirage-island-appearance-rusaem/

It does everything you're looking for - it'll tell you the value, check every pokemon in your save to see if any of them match, and if no match is found it gives you the option to change the save's Mirage Island bytes to match the first pokemon in your party. I've used it and can vouch that it works.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Explopyro posted:

Crosspiece, someone made a program that'll take care of all of that, if you want to use it:
https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/33817-mirage-island-appearance-rusaem/

It does everything you're looking for - it'll tell you the value, check every pokemon in your save to see if any of them match, and if no match is found it gives you the option to change the save's Mirage Island bytes to match the first pokemon in your party. I've used it and can vouch that it works.

:stare:

That saves a bit of googling when the time comes, thank you!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Whooooops I replied a bit fast there, didn't I. That probably looks a bit creepy, sorry for that!

In my defence, I've actually been messing around with the source code to this program a bit recently, so I had it on my mind (and to find the download again all I had to do was google "mirage island value program"). There's some stuff I'm experimenting with in this game that would be a lot easier to do if I could speed through the analysis with a program. I'll talk about that project more later if I'm successful, lol. It's been years since I've written code and I'm severely out of practice.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Not at all, I watch my threads like a hawk, so the fast reply was appreciated, since I've got it all set up and working. Looks like Freesample is gonna explore Mirage Island for us!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Looks like Freesample is gonna explore Mirage Island for us!

Sure, why not?

:v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, when I think about ghosts attacking, I don't think about them beating people up, regardless of the typing of actual ghost moves in the game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 17: Sights of Lilycove City

Route 121

With our new team member, it's time to take her for a test drive and get her up to the rest of the team. When we get to the next Pokemon Center, we'll also give her the Protein I've been stockpiling.

Right, let's start clearing Route 121.

To counteract the strong Shuppet, Duskull is very defensive and slow, which is great when you need to stall something or take little damage but, uh, that's not what single player is for. Those attacking stats are miserable for actually fighting and it's made worse by its movepool, which are mostly support moves. Now that's great as a supportive backbone, but it also means your only attacking moves until you evolve are Astonish and Pursuit. Like wow that's bad. At least it doesn't have an expansive special movepool while being unable to it, as it only really has Ice Beam to abuse, while the rest is the usual physical stuff. Even when it evolves, it won't be packing that much of a (Shadow) punch, so I think it's best to skip, unless you fight your friends.

With Calbrena holding the Exp. Share, she'll be sucking up all the exp, which is just what I want.

I bought too much stuff at the LILYCOVE DEPT. STORE. It's up the road from here. I wish I had a BAG like yours.

MT. PYRE... there is a mysterious power at work there...

I took it easy on you this time! It won't be that way the next time! Maybe I'll go catch more POKEMON at the SAFARI.

Eh, we'll deal with that later. It makes more sense to head straight to Lilycove than Mt. Pyre. We've got enough distractions as it is!

While that cliffside had no hidden item, there's a Zinc just... sitting there. Not that I mind.

(KATE) Together, we're fearless! We'll demonstrate how tough we are!

(KATE) I blew it in front of my junior student partner... When someone's relying on me, I get this urge to look cool in front of them...

We'll visit the Safari Zone next update, since this one is packed enough as it is. We skipped one in Gen 2, but it'll be back in full force bullshit soon enough. We will however put Nimbus back in the PC to restore Dragonbreath PP, cause why not?

I could've fought these two Breeders individually, as they have 6 Pokemon each that's lowered to their first three when you fight them in a double battle... but then I'd miss a double battle and their Pokemon are weak and boring, so I don't care. We missed seeing Zigzagoon, Electrike and Numel from Myles and Marill, Sandshrew and Gulpin from Pat. I'm real beat up about that as you can tell.

They're great, your POKEMON! How do you raise them?

I raise every POKEMON with the same love and care--I don't pick favorites.

You might forget Pikachu is in the Hoenn Dex considering it appears so late and very few trainers use it.

I'm going to a CONTEST in LILYCOVE. My POKEMON should have no problem sweeping the MASTER CLASS.

Honestly, how could you level while Calbrena is stealing all your exp?

Your POKEMON prowess is remarkable. Allow me to register you as a memento. I would like to circle the globe once again with my POKEMON.

Neat, Calbrena needs that.

I think we're getting to the end here, but one last double battle stands in our way.

"Guess what? You're number five!"
"in CONTESTS."

The stakes have literally never been higher.

That's a nice addition. Will-o-Wisp has 15PP and 75% accuracy that burns the opponent. It's alright, but its hit rate is pretty frustrating when you need to Burn something NOW.

Pretty lights. Uh, Nuzleaf is best evolved at 31, otherwise Shiftry will never have Dark STAB, but if you don't wait until 49, you won't get Extrasensory, which is a super good attack because Shiftry's movepool is pretty awful. It does have nice mixed attacking stats so you can begrudgingly use Giga Drain and Faint Attack as its best STAB options and then go with Shadow Ball, Brick Break and Return as other options. No Earthquake though, that would make things too easy! Still, it has a really cool typing it can't use, it doesn't take hits too well and its movepool is rubbish, but hey, its at least perfectly usable. And that's the most you can really ask for... nearly 10 years into the series. Christ.

Okay Calbrena, I need you to calm down just a little bit. Ah, who am I kidding, everyone go crazy!

That was total humiliation! I won't forget you... hand over your POKENAV! I didn't expect to lose this easily... I'll win next time!

I may have to train my gang some more before entering any CONTEST.

Lilycove City

We've reached our destination. There's a lot to go over in this place, it's pretty big, so let's begin in the Pokemon Center. Also the music, goddamn.

Lilycove City/Minamo City: Where the land ends and the sea begins.
From the water plant lily and cove, and minamo (water algae/water's surface).[/i]

If you answer correctly, you can win fabulous prizes! Would you like to take the quiz challenge?

Seems simple enough. Though boo for saying machines aren't pretty.

Congratulations! You've got the quiz right! You've won a prize provided by Lady!

Finally, I can show off my skills as a quizmaster.

"answers your quiz correctly."

But beware, if the person taking the quiz can't get it right, I get to keep the prize!

I guess I could spare one of these.

What could possibly be the answer?

Three Pokemon Center ladies appear in Lilycove City only in Emerald and, like the old guys in Mauville, are determined by your ID number, only do something once and cannot be interacted with further until you mix records with another player. I'll go into more detail in the Side Notes. If you're interested in the prize, then it's simple, just meet me irl and mix records with me... on an emulator. If you can figure all that out, then you deserve that Rare Candy.

Ah finally, it's time to talk about Contests.

Contest Hall

Oh? It appears that you don't have a POKEBLOCK CASE yet. In that case, we need to provide you with this!

Hello! This is the reception counter for POKEMON CONTESTS. Would you like to enter your POKEMON in our CONTESTS?

We'll be going over the entirety of Contests in their own update, but they're a lot of fun and a nice little distraction from the main game. We can also finally make some Pokeblocks with the Berry Blending machines, as well as view past contest winners at the top there. We can also do a four way contest with friends, but I've never done that... don't make me mention having no Pokemon friends in my life again. I can't take the embarrassment!!!

Okay, dear! Let's get started! Let's BERRY BLENDER!

I hope you've been hoarding your berries as this is the best use for them, making Pokeblocks! It's an absolute necessity to create lots of good Pokeblocks to increase your Pokemon's sheen and succeed in contests. There is a lot to go over in the future and it's gonna be a blast!

It's best to blend with three other people, though you can make slightly different Pokeblocks depending on the number of players. The AI will match your type as best they can with alright rarity berries, but it's better to do it with friends. Again, don't have a choice!

I'm just glad this isn't Poffin stirring, just press A when the pointer gets to your side. Try and be as exact as possible, but it becomes much trickier as the device speeds up.

When you mistime your press, the machine will slow down and screw up your timing, so the AI is a bit frustrating to deal with in those cases.

When the bar on top fills up, that's your lot! You get graded on how precise you were, what your max speed was in rotations per minute and the total time. You then get the blended block, which has a lot more to it than you'd think. You can see your best records on a nearby board, but it doesn't really matter.

Lilycove City

The ferry S.S. Tidal is under construction in SLATEPORT CITY. Service is scheduled to begin shortly.

Got an item by this, uh, thing? What is this anyway?

Nearly every building in this city has something interesting to go over, which is always fun!

Huh?! Oh, sorry, sorry! I was snoozing! I came to check out this POKEMON CONTEST thing. I have to admit, it does look quite entertaining, but... Consider me a purist--I prefer battles and tough TRAINERS. But that's just me. YUKI, I hope you'll enjoy everything like the GYM, CONTESTS, BATTLE TENT, the whole works! I think it does take strategy to win a CONTEST. Devising CONTEST strategies is one way of becoming a better TRAINER, I'd say.

The Fan Club doesn't have anything for us just yet, but it's super important.

Overflowing with great merchandise and excitement! A great place to find that something you need!

Looks like the Department Store has a little something before we can go in.

May Encounter

Of course, I've also caught a lot of POKEMON, and I'm raising them properly, too. Actually, I'm more worried if you're raising POKEMON properly, YUKI. I'll battle with you, so you can show me your POKEMON, YUKI. The POKEMON I raised won't be beaten by your POKEMON, YUKI!

Rival Battle

Brendan/Yūki or May/Haruka: Rad Neighbor
From brave, and yūki (bravery). From May, a spring month that references haruka (spring flower).

If the various artwork and team overviews didn't tip you off, this is indeed the final Brendan/May fight in the game. Look at these Pokemon, their levels, their movesets, their unevolved forms. LOOK AT THEM. It's pretty pathetic and really sours me on the rival in this game. Thankfully ORAS gave them another battle after the Champion, their battle music is the one of the best in the series, and May becomes the cutest character ever, so all is forgiven, I guess. I understand why they did it, since we'll have a better rival fight later on, but it sucks that you never see your rival's starter go all the way.

Their starter is now a far cry from the monster it could possibly be by the third fight. Would it have killed them to boost everything by a couple levels? Oh well, we'll have all the starters evolved soon anyway.

Being overleveled doesn't help make my case, but I'll be using Calbrena for most of this fight anyway, so I'm not even gonna bother putting it into a video. Oh well.

Look at this Magcargo-lacking motherfucker. Disappointed!

And you thought Blue's final fight in Gen 1 had bad movesets...

And then there's THIS rear end in a top hat.

But since every Pelipper ever go for Protect on the first turn, it makes it super easy to beat. Yup, our newest team member soloed three of our rival's final Pokemon. She was a bit fragile to take on Grovyle, though.

I remember the battle I had with you, YUKI, on ROUTE 103. That battle helped you becomes this strong, YUKI, didn't it?

May Encounter

I've caught a decent group of POKEMON, and my POKEDEX is coming along, so I'm going home to show my dad. YUKI, what are you going to do? Collect all the GYM BADGES and take the POKEMON LEAGUE challenge? Well, while you're collecting BADGES, YUKI, I'm going to work on my POKEDEX. I'll complete it before you! See you!

Farewell rival of missed potential. It was nice having a supportive rival for a change, but like always, their team just doesn't match up.

Lilycove Department Store

Drat. You can get various prizes depending on how many ID digits match in reverse order. You can get a PP Up, an Exp Share, a Max Revive and a Master Ball for 2, 3, 4 and 5 matches. Nothing too crazy, aside from the Master Ball, but I only ever need the one.

You want nearly every item ever? Well here you go. Very nice time to stock up on all the good stuff.

Third floor has all the various drugs you'd expect. Whatever.

Some nice TMs, but the usual selection you'd expect at the Department Store. We've got TM17 Protect, TM20 Safeguard, TM33 Reflect, TM16 Light Screen, TM38 Fire Blast, TM25 Thunder, TM14 Blizzard and TM15 Hyper Beam.

We need our dragon to breathe fire!

:stare: Ah, here's where a ton of the Secret Base items are. We should get ourselves one of those, one of these days.

I think about how nice it would be if there were more than just one me so I could enjoy all sorts of lives. Of course it's possible. Giggle... I know! Would you be interested in having a POKEMON learn SUBSTITUTE?

I hope you'll get that way, too!

Is... this the first vending machine we've found in the game? I don't remember. Anyway, the rooftop will occasionally have a sale and sell rare Secret Base items you can't get anywhere else. Here's the list, since I dunno if we'll actually see the sale. And there we go, that's every Secret Base item we can obtain in one way or another, bar two, at least. This doesn't include most postgame items, since they're Emerald only and are a pain to obtain.

Art, motherfuckers!

Lilycove Museum

Hmm, yes, exquisite.

Ah, mmm, quite.

Have you viewed our collection of paintings already? Oh? I do believe that you seem to be a POKEMON TRAINER. Have you an interest in paintings, too? Ah, excellent! You do like paintings! Then, may I ask you to come with me?

Here, I don't wish to exhibit works of so-called classical art. Such classical works you can see on our ground floor. I wish to exhibit work that is far different from the classics. Art, after all, is not restricted to old, famous works! This exhibit hall, I wish to fill it woth... modern and vibrant artworks of POKEMON seemingly ready to spring forth into glorious life!

You must encounter lively POKEMON and works of art depicting them. If you were to come across such a painting, may we ask you to obtain the artist's permission to exhibit it here? I wish to fill this exhibit hall with modern and vibrant paintings of POKEMON.

Where on Pokearth could we find some cool paintings? I hope I can fill this exhibit, I've never done it before.

Lilycove City

Much better, we couldn't ignore the Move Deleter! We'll be shuffling a few HMs around here and there, movesets permitting, of course.

And you, a BERRY suits you to a "T"... why should that be so?

It's because you're a TRAINER!

Well that was lucky, we can get the first 11 berries from this guy and he gave us the one we needed and one that's pretty rare!

Neat.

Hunh? What do you want? You're messing up our training, so can you, like, get lost?

Hmm, a fair few pirates around. Well, it's probably none of my business.

I think we're a bit late in for a Pokeball to be hidden.

We're now done with Lilycove for the moment, but might as well drug up our party. We need Fire Blast to be usable, after all. Also, what the hey, let's evolve some more Pokemon, found in the usual location.

Trick House

Let's round off the update with the next Trick House challenge, since we got a new badge and all. While I would do these asap, this one doesn't have any trainers, so catching Calbrena first was more important.

IF YOU ANSWER QUIZZES CORRECTLY, THEN YOU WILL GO TO MECHADOLL 5. THEN YOU CAN OBTAIN THE SECRET CODE.

How good is your trivia? Think you can answer these questions on your first go? Hard mode: answer every question these dolls have.
A

ONE OF THESE POKEMON IS NOT FOUND ON ROUTE 110. WHICH ONE IS IT? ODDISH/POOCHYENA/TAILLOW
C

ONE OF THESE POKEMON IS NOT OF THE WATER TYPE. WHICH ONE IS IT? AZURILL/LOTAD/WINGULL
A

Still not too bad, but it spikes from here.
A

WHICH OF THESE POKEMON DID WALLY BORROW FROM YOUR FATHER? RALTS/ZIGZAGOON/SLAKOTH
B

WHICH OF THESE POKEMON WAS CHASING PROF. BIRCH? POOCHYENA/SHROOMISH/ZIGZAGOON
C

Alright now these can be tricky if you don't remember prices, or fudge your maths. One mark for the right answer, one more if you show your working.
Repel is $350 and a Soda Pop is $300, so $650, while Super Potions are $700, so B.

WHICH COSTS MORE? THREE HABOR MAILS OR ONE BURN HEAL? BURN HEAL/HARBOR MAIL/SAME PRICE
Harbor Mail is $50, so $150 for 3, while Burn Heal is $250, so A.

SELL ONE GREAT BALL AND BUY ONE POTION. HOW MUCH MONEY REMAINS? $60/$55/NOTHING
Great Balls are $600, so sell for $300, while a Potion is $300, so C.

Now this is where it gets bullshit. If you can remember this stuff, well done you weirdo, but I'm always bad at these. Still, one mark for the correct answer, one more mark for counting every category correctly.
Seashore House had 2 male trainers and the Soda Pop seller, so 3, and one female trainer, so A.

IN LAVARIDGE TOWN, WERE THERE MORE ELDERLY MEN OR ELDERLY WOMEN? ELDERLY MEN/ELDERLY LADIES/SAME NUMBER
There are 6 elderly men, compared to 5 elderly women, so A

IN THE TRAINER'S SCOOL, HOW MANY GIRL STUDENTS WERE THERE? NONE/ONE/TWO
B

Phew, once you have the scroll, you don't need to come back to it if you fail. Now for the final Mechadoll.

Like the 4th, this is just a trivia question. Due to this doll's positioning, you can tackle it 3rd to see if you've got a bad question or not. You did them in order in RS and they didn't change the 1st's dialogue to follow this.
B

IN FORTREE CITY, HOW MANY TREE HOUSES WERE THERE? 6/7/8
A

ON CYCLING ROAD, HOW MANY TRIATHLETES WERE THERE? 6/7/8
C

There we go, how did you do? I'm not a fan of this puzzle, since I usually get 3-5 wrong at least once.

Eh, we'll take it. At least the remaining puzzles are more enjoyable.

Next time, we'll be hea-

And next time, we've got the Safari Zone and Mt. Pyre to go to. Oh joy.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 24, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 07: Lilycove's Sights: Young women and Decorations

Now that we've seen pretty much every item that can go in our Secret Base, let's go over them, as well as the various decorations we can obtain. Then we'll talk about some weird women in the Lilycove Pokemon Center that only appear in Emerald.

So once you obtain TM43 Secret Power, you can make a Secret Base in a hole in the wall (with red, brown, blue or yellow designs), a tree, or a bush. There's 75 different places and there's 4 different designs for each category, so you can make quite the unique base. From there, you can put in 16 decorations, including boards that you can only get from the Rooftop Sale in order to get over holes in the floor in some designs. And there we go. That's Secret Bases.

And then you mix records. When you do that, your friends' Secret Bases will appear in your game and you can visit them and even interact with them! After beating the game, you're even able to battle them, with the team they had at point of mixing records, meaning infinite experience! It's not exactly quick though, as you can only battle them once a day, resetting at midnight, but battling them is penalty free, though you can't steal their items. Oh well. Your appearance to your friends depends on the last digit of your ID, with 5 classes per gender.

So there's not a huge amount compared to the remake, though the main stuff remains the same, so let's go over the decorations. Now if you have the Trader in your game, then you can send version exclusive decorations to other games one at a time. I'm sure it's something you guys have done all the time. Definitely.

Anyway, we've got 9 chairs, with 8 obtained at Fortree and one costing 6000 ashes. There are 10 cushions and they must be placed on a desk, or mat, kinda defeating the point of them. They can be bought at Lilycove, bar the Smoochum one, which is postgame for 32BP. There are 9 desks and the 7 large ones can hold dolls and cushions. They can be bough for Fortree, except for the 8000 ash one. There are 17 mats overall, with eleven small mats that have special effects when you step on them, and seven large mats that can have 5 dolls or cushions placed on them. All the small mats are obtained in Slateport, with the other three findable in Lilycove. All large mats are found in Lilycove.

All six plants can be bought at the Pretty Petal Flower Shop. Woo. There are 10 posters, which are found at Lilycove, bar the Kiss Poster, which is postgame and 16BP. Ornaments are the leftover decorations that aren't dolls, with the 3 bricks and balloons obtained at Slateport. The bricks are basically desks, but hold one doll or cushion, while the balloon bursts when stepped on. The 3 TVs, 2 Fences and 3 Breakables are available during the Rooftop Sale. The fences can block areas, while the breakables, well, break when walked through or touched. There's also the Tire, the Solid Board, which lets you traverse holes, the Stand and the Slide, all from the Rooftop Sale. The rest of the Ornaments are obtained through other, trickier, means.

Finally, there are 32 dolls obtained in various ways, either from Slateport, Lilycove, or postgame for BP. You can place them on mats and since there's a mat in our bedroom, we can place dolls there too. There are 7 large dolls and 25 small dolls. There are also 3 more dolls that you won't be obtaining anytime soon: the Regi dolls. Those with a Japanese copy of RS that obtained the dolls by the e-Reader card Decoration Present, or by going to official Nintendo events could get those dolls. They can be obtained in other games, but you first need to mix records with a Japanese Emerald, then use that game to mix records with a non-Japanese Emerald and then, if you wish, mix that game with a non-Japanese RS of the same language. As easy as that!

Alright, since we're talking about record mixing, let's go over the Lilycove Ladies. Like with the old guys, they appear depending on your ID number. What are the specific numbers? I dunno, but the Quiz Lady appears when your number ends in 6. Anyway, let's start with the Contest Lady. She'll ask for a specific Pokeblock for her Pokemon and if you pick the right preference then... she thanks you on TV later. And that's it. Literally. That's it. Mixing records does nothing.

The Favor Lady will ask for an item of a certain description and if you get it right, then she'll give you the corresponding vitamin drink for that category. If you get it wrong, then you can try again tomorrow. And that's it, you can do it once and mixing records does nothing. Aren't these women worth your time?

The final lady, the Quiz Lady, is the most fleshed out and asks you a question, giving you a fairly rare item if you get it right. Then, you can select an item from your bag and create a new quiz for your mixing record friend that you've been using in all these instances I've mentioned this mechanic. If they get it right, they get the item you offered up.

I got one of the less rewarding questions, but all of these items can be obtained otherwise, though the berries can be version exclusive depending on which Eon Pokemon is in the game (Durin in Ruby and Watmel in Sapphire). And that's everything. Overall, not that great either, but could be more interesting than the old guy you get in Mauville. Barely.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright everyone, it's :siren: Contest voting time :siren: Pick four Pokemon that will participate in the Master Rank of each category, with their movesets. We also need to nickname our shiny Pelipper and give it a moveset for its category, whatever it may be. There will be some restrictions, of course:

Only Hoenn Pokemon, they're the stars after all.
All moves must be of the category you're entering the Pokemon into.
You must include one combination in your moveset. Here's a list of all the ridiculous options. You're spoilt for choice.
If you're entering for the Beauty Contest, it must know Selfdestruct or Explosion, so Pelipper cannot be entered for Beauty, hilarious though it may be.

There's only four submissions, so first come, first serve!

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

I'll take 'Things I never knew about Pokemon Emerald' for a thousand, Alex.

EDIT: Oh wait, contests. Well I have no preference about them, I never did them in the original version of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Vigoroth's pretty Cool, I guess.

-Focus Energy
-Brick Break (Combos with Focus Energy)
-Reversal
-Solar Beam

• Locked thread