Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ugh, does literally everything have to be made edgy? Why is it so wrong for Power Rangers to be a lighthearted show about colorful teams beating up monsters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

Ugh, does literally everything have to be made edgy? Why is it so wrong for Power Rangers to be a lighthearted show about colorful teams beating up monsters?

This has about all of the edge of

Power Rangers.

Like you realize you're looking at the evil mirror universe of Tommy and not some grim future of the main universe right? This is something that Power Rangers could have easily done in the show itself- and has a few times.

Not every Ranger series is super light hearted, though they're all very kid friendly even when they do get serious, and the franchise is better for it.

Nothing here says that this is any different than, say, ANY "Evil Universe Counterpart" story you find in any series.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

galagazombie posted:

Because that's what Megaforce was.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I refer you to humanity's greatest work, "Green With Evil"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I offer further material

In Space through Time Force

And a dashing of R "Nuclear Holocaust" P "Heaven Help Them, Because We Can't" M "Cancer riddled orphans"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I get what he means, though. It’s very out of profile for the series, which is about guys in bright costumes karateing a rubber suit that has a silly theme, or two themes that don’t have any real connection.

And the over here you’ve got deepest lore and the old “superheroes are like modern day mythological gods” trope that people hated in Batman vs Superman.

It can be semi-serious and done well (Journey’s End, Countdown to Destruction) or edgy and goofy (Zedd’s intro, or Rito’s), but neither show never really forgets it’s idea of peak action is a man in transformer cosplay stomping around the dollhouses.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 23, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Started reading the Power Rangers comics with the two prelude issues for the event, and they're pretty good. More serious than the show, but doesn't try to be real edgy or dark.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

I get what he means, though. It’s very out of profile for the series, which is about guys in bright costumes karateing a rubber suit that has a silly theme, or two themes that don’t have any real connection.

And the over here you’ve got deepest lore and the old “superheroes are like modern day mythological gods” trope that people hated in Batman vs Superman.

It can be semi-serious and done well (Journey’s End, Countdown to Destruction) or edgy and goofy (Zedd’s intro, or Rito’s), but neither show never really forgets it’s idea of peak action is a man in transformer cosplay stomping around the dollhouses.

See, that's why I really love this video.

Because the production values are JUST at that right level. They aren't trying to make anything look like anything that wouldn't appear on the show, even the big soldier MMPR storm troopers. Lord Drakkon's helmet has the loving clasps and everything.

Like, we have evil Tommy watching clips of goofy Power Ranger poo poo and being upset that they're not TAKING OVER THE WORLD, and then he puts on his motorcycle kitbashed stunt helmet to talk about how they could have been GODS as he has a bunch of naff CGI ships rise up in his super mega city that HAS THE WHITE HOUSE ON THE FRONT LAWN OF HIS EVIL TOWER

That's loving pitch perfect right there.

This isn't like Power/Rangers, which had swearing and blood and the really obnoxiously HARDCORE Ranger designs. Even the bad guy Rangers look like things you'd see in the show, just cosplay level.

Now if it showed Evil Tommy, I don't know, keeping Kat a slave on a chain or murdering people in violent and bloody ways or cursing like a sailor, then I'd be WAY more sympathetic to the complaint.

What I'm trying to say is, this is the kind of opening that would lead to Bulk and Skull saving the day through shenanigans, not them dying of a meth overdose.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
How was that clip anymore "edgy" that what we saw of Lord Zedd in Season 2?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If it resembles anything as far as tone, it’s quite similar to those scenes in SPD of Grumm sitting around in the dark yelling at himself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grumm may be the best villain design from power rangers since Zedd. He was made by PR and not adapted from Sentai, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Grumm may be the best villain design from power rangers since Zedd. He was made by PR and not adapted from Sentai, right?

That's correct, yes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes.

The creature design for SPD is some of the best in the franchise. Heck, Cruger still holds up over a decade later.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Are there any sentai villains as well designed visually as Zedd? Hell, Divatox, Astronema, Ransik, Trakeena, Lothor, Mesogog, they all look great.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The majority or the Zangyack, the Ayakashi of Shinkenger, all of Boukenger’s villains, Enter’s monster and Dark Buster forms, Ecliptor, Darkonda, Villamax’s sentai originators, the Shadow Line... they all have great designs. They’re just done with a very different approach than the American original stuff.

While I do love a lot of the American original PR designs, a lot of it has the problem of not blending well with the rest of the aesthetic. SPD I think got lucky because Dekaranger had a lot of hard sci fi in it already, but characters like Zedd and Sledge stick out like sore thumbs next to their minions.

Oh and the Psychorangers/Nejiranger are all great. Those originated in Japan too.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 23, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't realize Sledge was kiwi. I thought he looked like a sentai character

I kind of love Heckyl. I'm 2/3 through super charge though and they are telegraphing pretty hard he's just going to job to a returning Sledge. Also he'd be better if Snide didn't exist and if he didn't get caught in the act like three episodes in.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 23, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He looks notably grungier than literally everyone else who works for him. He might as well be from another show.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The weirdest thing in terms of PR tone is that there's times when they casually throw out that the Bad Guys are actually competant against anyone but the Power Rangers. Zedd supposedly had an empire somewhere. Master Vile rules a bunch of places, too. The Machine Empire just needed Earth to complete a chain of galaxies (you know, just). When Astronema says to begin United Evil's attack on the universe, everywhere but Earth surrenders in a heartbeat while the Rangers fuss over ~this place~ or ~that place~ is under attack, defenseless, and there's nothing they can do about it because thousands of other places are dealing with the same thing.

Sure, its for kids, so they just kinda gloss over most of that, but hoo boy there's an unintentional almost-Lovecraftian sense that the vast amount of places in the universe are undefended against evil forces.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MisterBibs posted:

The weirdest thing in terms of PR tone is that there's times when they casually throw out that the Bad Guys are actually competant against anyone but the Power Rangers. Zedd supposedly had an empire somewhere. Master Vile rules a bunch of places, too. The Machine Empire just needed Earth to complete a chain of galaxies (you know, just). When Astronema says to begin United Evil's attack on the universe, everywhere but Earth surrenders in a heartbeat while the Rangers fuss over ~this place~ or ~that place~ is under attack, defenseless, and there's nothing they can do about it because thousands of other places are dealing with the same thing.

Sure, its for kids, so they just kinda gloss over most of that, but hoo boy there's an unintentional almost-Lovecraftian sense that the vast amount of places in the universe are undefended against evil forces.

The implication with a lot of MMPR monsters of the week (and Super Sentai monsters, for that matter) is that each one of them is a world-conquering threat if not opposed by the Power Rangers/current Sentai. Each individual monster in Lupinranger vs. Patranger, for example, is vying to personally conquer the human world so they can be the next interdimensional mafia don. So, basically any planet that doesn't happen to have Power Rangers (which is like, almost all of them apparently) can be taken down by a *single* Zedd monster, probably over the course of like 3 months.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

The implication with a lot of MMPR monsters of the week (and Super Sentai monsters, for that matter) is that each one of them is a world-conquering threat if not opposed by the Power Rangers/current Sentai. Each individual monster in Lupinranger vs. Patranger, for example, is vying to personally conquer the human world so they can be the next interdimensional mafia don. So, basically any planet that doesn't happen to have Power Rangers (which is like, almost all of them apparently) can be taken down by a *single* Zedd monster, probably over the course of like 3 months.

In fact, I think there's only like 4 other planets in the universe that we know of so far that actually have their own Power Rangers or PR-like figures (Aquitar, Triforia, Eltar and KO-35). I guess you could count Edenoi and wherever the Blue Senturion comes from as well if you wanted.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would think Maya's homeworld, Mirinoi, counts. Also I think the sixth ranger in operation overdrive was randomly from some other planet.

SPD seemed to have spread ranger powers out beyond Earth.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I would think Maya's homeworld, Mirinoi, counts. Also I think the sixth ranger in operation overdrive was randomly from some other planet.

SPD takes place after all the Saban-Era stuff by like a solid 25 years or something, too, if it's going to be considered in the same canon. I guess it technically is via retcon in Super Megaforce. And all those guys were potential and/or accomplished planetary-scale threats, too, in the sentai at least.

The guy that Kruger fights in the Shadow Ranger debut? When they name his crimes in the sentai, he's wanted for Space Landsharking, personally responsible for displacing billions of people from multiple worlds.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A reminder

Pudgy Pig was a threat that would have, in Power Rangers, devoured the entire food supply of the WORLD in a matter of days.

That is a really nasty way to wipe out a population and it's one of Rita's earliest plans.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Technically yes to the first one, but the sixth ranger from Overdrive didn't actually get his own set of Ranger powers until after he'd been on Earth for a while (said powers were also created by the same guy who made the other 5) so I'm not sure if that one really counts.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In one of the early episodes the rangers are trying to clean up pollution or something and Rita makes a pollution monster, and there's some dialogue that Rita says juxtaposed right after the rangers complain about some toxic waste dump that implies Rita actually owns the toxic waste dump.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

Pudgy Pig was a threat that would have, in Power Rangers, devoured the entire food supply of the WORLD in a matter of days.

This is always my go-to for "how to remind people that this show is really silly at heart, and taking it too seriously is bad for you." That episode was basically voices shouting "global food crisis!" while the monster hosed around in Ernie's pantry.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

This is always my go-to for "how to remind people that this show is really silly at heart, and taking it too seriously is bad for you." That episode was basically voices shouting "global food crisis!" while the monster hosed around in Ernie's pantry.

It's really great

Even better when you know in the Sentai the pig monster was just to get a fat kid yelled at for apparently eating all of the food

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do love that in Zordon era he usually has deep lore on the various monsters that get created, at least in the first season.

Closest we get to that again is SPD or Time Force, where they have some record of the various criminals they go up against.

Season 3 Zordon is often "I have no idea. Be careful rangers"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Are there any sentai villains as well designed visually as Zedd? Hell, Divatox, Astronema, Ransik, Trakeena, Lothor, Mesogog, they all look great.

The Lightspeed Rescue/GoGoV villains are definitely in that tier

Burkion posted:

A reminder

That is a really nasty way to wipe out a population and it's one of Rita's earliest plans.

Yeah and his Sentai equivalent Dora Circe had a similar purpose, albeit on a slightly smaller scale(just Tokyo), and in a much more petty fashion(Witch Bandora had him created in response to witnessing the "kid of the week" bonding with his parents over food, and she created Dora Circe to not only starve people to death by stealing all their food, but to also make families fight during that as well, cause Dora Circe has super speed and can steal food faster than people can see, so they think the person next to them stole their food)

Basically Witch Bandora is ridiculously petty in a way that's terrifying when you consider how powerful she is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Soccadillo episode is when Rita is closest to Bandora and just wants to make fun of a kid that's terrible at soccer

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bandora is super petty about children because her kid died, right?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Kinda bummed, I was supposed to go to Alabama Comic Con this weekend where JDF is one of the main guests. Had some work stuff come up so now I can’t go. I did send my re-release flip Head figure with a friend to get signed.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I am super late to the party, but add me to the list of folks who love RPM. I’m about 10 episodes from the end, but I have really enjoyed myself with the show, characters, and worldbuilding.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Craptacular! posted:

I mean its not unheard for the shows to have weird as as all hell aspects. I kind of love how absurd it is Patranger vs. Lupinranger glosses over the fact that most of the mafia monsters are horrific criminals and RPM is a preventable post apocalyptic setting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, Dr K's backstory is 120% hosed up horrific poo poo.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, Dr K's backstory is 120% hosed up horrific poo poo.

She just wanted to go outside!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Morby posted:

She just wanted to go outside!

Best part? We, the audience, never find out her name. A shittier writer would have 'paid off' the longing "I wish I could remember my name" line with a reveal at some point, but nope.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Kinda bummed, I was supposed to go to Alabama Comic Con this weekend where JDF is one of the main guests. Had some work stuff come up so now I can’t go. I did send my re-release flip Head figure with a friend to get signed.

Recently found my original one at my parents house. Didn't even remember owning it. Wish I still had my Dragonzord. Loved that toy something fierce. My best friend at the time had the Megazord, so we would team up.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's kinda funny how Zord is short for Dinozord yet it was how many years/seasons till Dino Thunder where that pun/wordplay made no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

galagazombie posted:

It's kinda funny how Zord is short for Dinozord yet it was how many years/seasons till Dino Thunder where that pun/wordplay made no sense.

I always thought it was named after Zordon.