Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love how now the sentai just calls them zords, for basically no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I love how now the sentai just calls them zords, for basically no reason

That's just in Gobusters, and it's "megazord" for the enemy robots. The only other use of "zord" in sentai is a one off monster from Timeranger named "G-Zord".

Everything else is just referred to by the name of the vehicles used in the series, or the more generic "mecha" or "robo" on rare occasions.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh. Well they should call them zords. It's a fun word to say. Zord zords zord

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Star Man posted:

I always thought it was named after Zordon.

I'd always assumed it was the other way around, but looking around google doesn't tell me one way or the other.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This wizard from eltar discovered the power coins and was then trapped in a Time Warp. A robot from edenoi built by King Lexian builds a command center and successfully establishes contact. The planet, they discover together, has large dinosaur robots called Dinozords.

"Ay ay ay ay ay! With all this dinozord discovering, I never asked your name!"

"umm.... It's uh... Zordon"

"Like the robots we just discovered?"

"Alpha, my worst fear has come to pass. The hydro hog has begun an assault on Aquitar. I... must go to their command center now."

"But"

"Zordon Out"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Given that Cyclopsis is referred to as a war zord, we must conclude that Zordon created the first known mecha in at least this solar system if not the galaxy, making zord the only proper name for such a thing.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Funny this subject came up as I was thinking about it the other night. Have they ever said where the word Zord came from? I assume it was just an asspull but I’ve always wondered

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Want he originally named Zoltar before they realized that name was taken?

We need Thunderzolt power, now!

Mastodon Lion Thunderzolt power!

Tyrannosaurus Red Dragon Thunderzolt power!

Sabertooth Tiger Griffin Thunderzolt power!

Pterodactyl Firebird Thunderzolt power!

Triceratops Unicorn Thunderzolt power!

Alright Saba! I need Tigerzolt power now!

Now we need Tor, the carrier zolt!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Anyone interested in an open box Legacy Ninja Megazord? It’s in great condition I just don’t care that much about it

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Shattered Grid: They revealed the pink ranger character working for Drakkon is indeed an evil Kim from his world that saw the way the winds were blowing and switched sides. She pilots the junkyard megazord that's been shown in covers, leaving Drakkon with... something else. Also this series IS going to smoothly fit into the TV continuity and considered part of the universe that actually happened and not some weird AU like MMPRTM.
They also gave everybody episode #25 a week early and have asked everyone to not spoil it, and so far nothing's been screamed out on Twitter and the guy from Rangerboard who was there said he won't spoil it, and when even 4chan doesn't have it you know you might need to wait a bit.

Like at this point I'm like 90% certain Shattered Grid is going to be Drakkon luring every generation of rangers into one huge battle and trying to blow away 200-some rangers by connecting the Zeo crystal to Serpentera, which itself could be a modified Black Dragon with it's Dynamic Size feature cranked up to the max. And I'm reasonably (like 60-70%) willing to bet it ends with Zeo backfiring and twisting him into Zedd.

It feels gross to float such a MatPat-esque idea, but the foreshadowing has all been noted and it certainly fits, particularly with some of the cover themes being so Zeo-focused of late.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 25, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Craptacular! posted:

Shattered Grid: They revealed the pink ranger character working for Drakkon is indeed an evil Kim from his world that saw the way the winds were blowing and switched sides. She pilots the junkyard megazord that's been shown in covers, leaving Drakkon with... something else. Also this series IS going to smoothly fit into the TV continuity and considered part of the universe that actually happened and not some weird AU like MMPRTM.
They also gave everybody episode #25 a week early and have asked everyone to not spoil it, and so far nothing's been screamed out on Twitter and the guy from Rangerboard who was there said he won't spoil it, and when even 4chan doesn't have it you know you might need to wait a bit.

Like at this point I'm like 90% certain Shattered Grid is going to be Drakkon luring every generation of rangers into one huge battle and trying to blow away 200-some rangers by connecting the Zeo crystal to Serpentera, which itself could be a modified Black Dragon with it's Dynamic Size feature cranked up to the max. And I'm reasonably (like 60-70%) willing to bet it ends with Zeo backfiring and twisting him into Zedd.

It feels gross to float such a MatPat-esque idea, but the foreshadowing has all been noted and it certainly fits, particularly with some of the cover themes being so Zeo-focused of late.

Under your theory would this make his evil Kim become Rita

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I feel kind of stupid and have only been half-heartedly reading the comics, is this shattered grid thing going to be in the two comic series they have going on or is it going to be spread out across a bunch of other media as well?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hell, the visor comparison is pretty close when you look at it.. . :tinfoil:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Under your theory would this make his evil Kim become Rita

Nah, Rita is Rita and Drakkon seems to have a thing for her that "our Tommy" doesn't, it's subtle but his whole background arc has this subservient "kneel before the queen" thing and at no point are we told that he ever just usurps her or anything. And when she's conquered the world and apparently moved on(??), he actually goes seeking an alternate universe twin of hers who is having trouble and provides aid.

I don't think Drakkon and his version of Kimberly have a relationship to speak of outside of business. We'll see, though.

FilthyImp posted:

Hell, the visor comparison is pretty close when you look at it.. . :tinfoil:

They also both have a spiky thing sticking up out the middle of the visor. And he already owns the wand. Which is nice because it doesn't matter where the wand came from. He has it already. And if you really want to get super "Doctor Who" about it, he could steal it from Thrax while visiting Operation Overdrive and create a time loop. I don't think they'll do that last part (I hope not), but it's always possible in giant crossovers like this.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 25, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It also ties into something never really explained, but explicitly stated

Lord Zedd is connected to the Morphing Grid and draws power from it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Lord Zedd says the morphing grid is maintained by the struggle between himself and Zordon (which given the series continues after Zordon and Zedd are gone can be extrapolated to refer to the struggle between good and evil in general), not that he himself draws power from it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
We know what Zedd looks like when he's right-side-out and that's "basically non-union Gul Dukat/Mark Alamo", he looks nothing like Tommy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

We know what Zedd looks like when he's right-side-out and that's "basically non-union Gul Dukat/Mark Alamo", he looks nothing like Tommy.

Oh no, you're right, how will this comic book bridge into season two of the TV show

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's because they thought the guy who had been wearing that suit for two seasons and change deserved a (literal) day in the sun. Power Rangers is a work involving space warlocks and magic rocks, and this is an event with actual time travel written around twenty-something year old episodes. If you're creative enough, you can work around that poo poo. Especially since we're talking about a character that spent an entire season off-the-grid.

We're talking villains who have an adult hellspawn of a son in season fifteen even though they only got married in season two and Zordon supposedly purged them of all evil in season six.

There actually is room for a "Two Zedds" theory in Power Rangers lore because of how loving inconsistent and contrarian it is: One would be the original Season 2 character, who disappears shortly after Zeo and would thus be the father of Thrax. The other would be a guy Dark Spectre gave those powers to, who after Countdown gets into archeology or whatever it was and became Zedd again in the Super Legends game that everyone has agreed to forget or put alongside MMPRTM as a weird out-of-canon chapter.

Hey did you know I'm old enough to have gray hairs? And yet this is the kind of stuff I think about... :sad:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Drakkon And I'm reasonably (like 60-70%) willing to bet it ends with Zeo backfiring and twisting him into Zedd.

Eh, I'm guessing it's going to end with someone pushing Drakkon to be a Good Ranger at the last minute, or simply turns on his own, and sacrifice himself to prevent his ultimate scheme from going off, possibly in a way that undoes the events completely from ever happening. The scene where Drakkon looks away as Kimberly says he'd always be a Ranger feels like a huge giveaway that things are not all Evil Tommy in Drakkon's mind.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

As Nero Danced posted:

I feel kind of stupid and have only been half-heartedly reading the comics, is this shattered grid thing going to be in the two comic series they have going on or is it going to be spread out across a bunch of other media as well?

Mostly just the comics...but two episodes of the Twitch-streamed RPG tied in too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just an update to clarify something earlier: the characters are based entirely on their TV counterparts, but the event itself and the comics are in it’s own universe. So yeah they can do things that don’t make sense with later TV episodes if they choose.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anyone have a good alert tone for the dino charge communicators? I love that sound. I found a decent one on Zedge but the only problem is it repeats twice, I'd rather have the sound happen just once.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Open the audio file in Audacity and clip it in half? Upload it to Tindeck and I'll do it for you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just got it in my phone

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm broke and might unload some old zords. Anyone need like not complete but not incomplete Tor, or the turbo car carrier guy but only the top two sections?

I got a Serpentera too, and probably 4/5ths of a thunder and zeo megazord. Need to inventory this poo poo. Probably just gonna put it up on ebay but I guess throw me an offer if something in that list sounds super great to you? Get me on steam or something http://steamcommunity.com/id/cryomancer/

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Might be interested in Serpentera. How much and can you post some pics?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Might be interested in Serpentera. How much and can you post some pics?

I dunno and eventually. Give me a couple days to sort some poo poo and take photos and whatnot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What would be a good power rangers song that would work well as a ringtone without being instantly recognizable as power rangers? I'm thinking maybe the zeo end credits instrumental.

Edit: I went with LSR instrumental end credits

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 26, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dino Thunder OP if you cut it off in time.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

5-4-1 is pretty great.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm kind of disappointed that Drakkon doesn't have a team of corrupted/stayed evil Rangers. My idea for such a team:

- Merrick, with his human body controlled by the spirit of Zen Aku
- Eric from Time Force, as one of Drakkon's enforcers
- Charlie, from SPD A-squad
- Evil White Ranger Trent
- Venjix possessing Dylan

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Eric was never evil, he was just a tool. Lightspeed Silver, on the other hand...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I was reminded that Chroma Squad exists and started playing it and I’m up to season 4. This game is really great.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

- Venjix possessing Dylan

I'm still kinda salty that this was just a hoax that was never true. I know, way too dark for Power Rangers, but man that would've been a kick to the teeth in a decent way. You think they are just redoing the Astronema plot, and nope, that's what the bad guy wanted you to think.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Eric was never evil, he was just a tool. Lightspeed Silver, on the other hand...

hence why I said "corrupted". Eric's nature being twisted to Drakkon's ideaology in a world where Time Force didn't happen the way we saw it would be an interesting take.

And yeah, I forgot the Titanium Ranger.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm still kinda salty that this was just a hoax that was never true. I know, way too dark for Power Rangers, but man that would've been a kick to the teeth in a decent way. You think they are just redoing the Astronema plot, and nope, that's what the bad guy wanted you to think.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I just was trying to come up with a reason why Dylan would be on team evil.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I just was trying to come up with a reason why Dylan would be on team evil.

There was a rumor/hoax that RPM's ending would've basically been the reveal that Tenaya was never Dillon's brother at all, but more importantly, Dillon never really existed as a person. He was a construct created by Venjix, with the amnesia and his my-sister-is-missing-oh-wait-shes-my-sister stuff was concocted to engender the Ranger's trust in him. So as the plot goes, they defeat Venjix, Dillon's switch gets flipped, Venjix gets access to the Morphing Grid, and the other Rangers have to kill Dillon to save the world. Originally teased as the original ending, but was revealed as a hoax somewhere up or down the line.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh. That sounds dumb, to be honest. RPM was bleak but never that bleak. I was just trying to create a fun backstory for an AU version.

EDIT - anyway, yeah, throw Nick as Koragg and Ryan from Lightspeed Rescue in there.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
No gently caress You, Dad Cam as a Green Ninja Ranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/978206676540100614?s=19