Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah that's who I meant! I'm watching it dubbed so I don't have subtitles and that's how his name kind of sounded to me. He's cool and I'm excited to hear about his and Levi's history.

I don't know if I'm hornier for Levi/Mikasa or Titan Eren to smack the poo poo out of Annie but either way I'm excited beyond belief

I feel insanely smug thinking "ah I definitely would have guessed who this titan was", such is the power of literally already knowing something. I don't know why she didn't just smush Armin though, she's looking for her target she's not trying to protect her target. Also I guess the reason she smiled is cos Reiner told her where Eren really was after he'd mistakenly given her his incorrect info and that's how she adjusted track. Also Armin has now stated for us that she and the other two redhead titans are humans wearing titan skins. Ofc I would not have worked this out if I didn't know the answer already but what were the general theories at this point do people recall? They definitely must have been sus of some characters by now?

It's 4am so I will have to watch more tomorrwo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I recall it being a complete surprise to most people. It's well put together because it's the sort of thing that seems obvious in hindsight but really wasn't. I wasn't looking at these threads as much back then so I can't remember what the general theories were unfortunately. As I recall there was one person in particular who got it pretty spot-on? I don't think that was on SA though, I just remember people talking about that here.

Someone with a better memory can expound on that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The particulars weren't quite guessed at, but people had hypothesized that the giant and armored titans were shifters ever since that was revealed to be a thing.

That said, it was a surprise when it became clear that Annie was one of them. I think the assumption at the time were that the enemy shifters would have all been adults, and therefore wouldn't have been anyone in the main cast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viridiant posted:

I recall it being a complete surprise to most people. It's well put together because it's the sort of thing that seems obvious in hindsight but really wasn't. I wasn't looking at these threads as much back then so I can't remember what the general theories were unfortunately. As I recall there was one person in particular who got it pretty spot-on? I don't think that was on SA though, I just remember people talking about that here.

Yeah, there was an oft-linked forum post where someone made an extremely well reason argument based off context clues that figured out the identity of the shifters and people were like "naaaah, that's ridiculous" until they got retroactively proven entirely right.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Viridiant posted:

It's well put together because it's the sort of thing that seems obvious in hindsight but really wasn't.

This sums up the mysteries in AoT.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schwarzwald posted:

The particulars weren't quite guessed at, but people had hypothesized that the giant and armored titans were shifters ever since that was revealed to be a thing.

That said, it was a surprise when it became clear that Annie was one of them. I think the assumption at the time were that the enemy shifters would have all been adults, and therefore wouldn't have been anyone in the main cast.

Nah the one everyone mentions had literally guessed every single suspicious in hindsight moment to call out bertholdt and reiner as the colossal and armored titans, two years in advance.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It’s kinda funny that the twists were less obvious in the manga just because the artwork was more vague

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Conspiratiorist posted:

Erwin is a badass.

I dunno, he's quite clearly supposed to be a terrible person

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Nina posted:

It’s kinda funny that the twists were less obvious in the manga just because the artwork was more vague

This sums me up pretty well. I had no idea wtf was going on because I couldn't tell who was who beyond the ultra main characters. I've taken to reading updates 3 times in order to understand fully what is going on.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Eej posted:

Por que no los dos?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eej posted:

Oh, he's one ruthless, manipulative son of a bitch for sure, but while he might lack the human compassion of Levi or Hange, in his relentless commitment to the Survey Corps he's brutally honest about what he expects from his men (which is nothing less than what he'd himself put on the line), and treats the burden of leadership as solemnly as anyone could ever hope to. That's a textbook definition of badassery.

Makes for interesting contrast how unlike most everyone else in the Survey Corps, who are guided by ideals, his humanizing element turns out to be being driven by selfish curiosity and guilt over a mistake long past. And in the end he gives that up, too, because to do otherwise would be a disservice to all the lives that were entrusted to him.

It's a similar kind heroism to what Armin and Jean display, who can tell in an instant what's the right thing to do, what is it that must be done, and hate themselves over either being at odds with what they personally want to do, but distilled.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay just sitting down to watch some for the afternoon cos I'm going to take the day off from uni work and work work and just watch anime and go to the gym.

Armin should have suspected Reiner as soon as he said the woman titan had a nice rear end. Also I am curious about whether the colossal titan is a leader or just his special ability is being really big. It's curious that I've seen the least of Bertholt out of the three I know are secret titans for sure.

Annie imo is actually going to turn out to be kind even though she's a baddy. I think she let Armin live because she sees him as a friend, and I think Armin was right about why she was trying to dissuade her class from joining the scouts. He thought it was to keep them safe he just didn't realise it meant being safe from her! Also she started to apologise to a dead body but she was never shown saving to help them or anything so I think it's supposed to be something you notice in retrospect as her feeling bad about what she's doing. I don't think she'll turn against her group but I think she'll feel bad that they have to do some of these things.

Definitely want to see Levi against a smart titan because that poo poo will be insanely hype and really show why he's so much better than even other people in his team.

I googled the show to get the iconic poster to show my friend and I didn't see any spoilers thankfully but I did see a picture of a curious george lookin rear end titan so I'm wondering what that will turn out to be.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
My favorite name for that that titan you saw that SA posters used to use a lot was "Monkey Trouble". I don't know why but it made me laugh.

Edit: Thanks poster below me, THAT was what they called him.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 24, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I googled the show to get the iconic poster to show my friend and I didn't see any spoilers thankfully but I did see a picture of a curious george lookin rear end titan so I'm wondering what that will turn out to be.

so I'm guessing this is the thing you saw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I think it's that thing.

All three dudes falling in love with Krista is extemely my jam.

Oh my god how can anyone beat this giant red bitch, get Levi!!!

Trees seem good though cos then they can take on titans with the OD gear? They all seem unhappy about it

Erwin is super smart so I think they just don't know what he's up to

HELL YESS LET'S CONFRONT THE FEMALE TITAN BBBBBY

Show me what you got Levi

I was way more sure he'd kick rear end until Eren called the titan dumb and rushing towards her death at the hands of the world's best titan slayers.

Levi has a special flare? wtf is happneingnn

Next episode

e: someone seriously needs to rekt this bitch

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

EmmyOk posted:

Trees seem good though cos then they can take on titans with the OD gear? They all seem unhappy about it

I think it's a visibility issue. It's better in cities because most titans are taller than most of the buildings.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah they just mentioned that, seems fair enough but Levi also mentioned that they can use ODM more easily now.

Eren begging to fight against the titan instead of having people sacrificing themselves to get him through the forest :saddowns:

Levi puling it out of the bag with a god tier speech here, how will this go? Trust your comrades!!

Interesting well flashback, oh gently caress he lost the ability for a while?

I also really like the dude imitating Levi he makes me lmbo

I also like how much coffee the scouts drink

omg this scene where he transforms drinking coffee, Levi's face lmbo

Holy poo poo Levi was calming down his soldiers not Eren, tenseeeeee

This is really interesting writing

tust them!!!!

I really really like Eren now and Levi is life

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I DID NOT EXPECT TEN THOUSAND GUNS WHAT THE HELLLLLLLLLL

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

EmmyOk posted:

I DID NOT EXPECT TEN THOUSAND GUNS WHAT THE HELLLLLLLLLL

I was super hype for that scene too. The action in the forest made it my favorite part of the series even if it's spaced out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I guess all titans have a special ability? Annie can do thsi ice thing, Bertholt is just bloody huge, and Reiner has his armour. I hope Eren has one.

I am even more desperate to see Levi against a secial titan.

Holy gently caress she can call for hep, that's not good, I assume that's what she's doing.

Yep

lmbo Levi just stamping on her head and effortlessly killing titans

Oh she didn't call for help it was her death throes. And they are devouring her so she can escape like Eren did when he was first eaten maybe?

Okay Erwin doesn't seem to have realised that the titan will pull an Eren here imo but he realise something is fucky which is why he had Levi refill on blades and gas.

lmbo called out for pissing yourself im dying

They're literally having a pissing contest

Oh man this green signal is a fake by an infiltrator

Oh and it turns out Erwin realises what's about to happen.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pretty curious to the relationship between the special titans and regular titans if the regulars are happy to start devouring them.

I wonder if Annie was afraid when Levi was threatening her or if she was just like "welp I'll just get eaten, l8r hun".

I think Eren and the titan are going to end up brawling.

New opening is good but the first was better, second ending is better than the first though.

I kind of hope Eren gets an updated titan look rather than just ripped looking 15M titan.

I'm glad someone is finally mentioning that the titans never tried to take down Rose's inner wall, and also yeah that the titans must be suprised they've an unlicensed titan transformer out there

Levi's team should be able to beat someone in their human form imo

Oh she's turned back into a titan beore they engaged so that's cool

Team Levi vs a special titan :ohdear:

If they are wiped out here after asking Eren to trust them I will be devastated.

goddamn blinding her so fast

oh thjis won't end well imo she's baiting them or something

and there it is

oh gently caress Ididn't expect Petra to go out like that

loving ICE HOW IS THIS BEITHCH EVEN loving FAIR gently caress OFFFFF gently caress YOU

KILL HER ERENNNNNNNNNNN PLEASE

I love this music

Annie was always better than him at fighting though

gently caress ladssssss this is tense

PUMMELLL HER

oh not his whole arm gently caress me

HOW DO YOU KEEP MISSING THIS BITCH

She didn't expect hm up so fast and back at her yessss

HOLY loving poo poo SCRAPING ALONG HER ICE PUNCH AND HITTING HER INTO THE AIR IS SOME REVENGENACE poo poo

oh that's not good

BEST GIRLLLLLL INCOMING

This is like when the Goku Vegeta coffee bean beat the gently caress out of Buu

Look lads I don't know how Levi can do stuff cooler than Mikasa when she's like this

Is this the inevitable teamup!!!?

This post is too long :/

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

This is like when the Goku Vegeta coffee bean beat the gently caress out of Buu

lmao

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This is currently one of my favorite threads.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

EmmyOk posted:

This post is too long :/

No way, live reactions like these are fun reads. Just cause you know some of the spoilers doesn't make the ride any less crazy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah the one everyone mentions had literally guessed every single suspicious in hindsight moment to call out bertholdt and reiner as the colossal and armored titans, two years in advance.

I'm not going to trudge through however many pages to confirm this, but I remember that post coming later in the thread than Emmy's gotten.

EmmyOk posted:

Armin should have suspected Reiner as soon as he said the woman titan had a nice rear end.

I can't believe you'd call out Commander Pixis like this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna hit the swim and gym and watch some more tonight when the rest of the family is out. I am so hyped to wrap up the first season, I'm heading into episode 21 or 22 I think.

How far into season two is the reveal of the special titans? I'm guessing near the end but I'm hoping ASAP cos as fun as picking up the hints on the way through knowing the mystery I'm jealous I never got to experience the not knowing properly. At least there is plenty of unadapted material I have no clue about coming up.

I'm also super glad I only know that those three are titans but literally nothing about their plans or where they came from etc., literally just that they are special titans.

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't believe you'd call out Commander Pixis like this.

I want to see him interact with Zoey(?) the science scout captain so bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you mean their identities? it's pretty close to the end iirc

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I guess specifically as that is the spoiler I know.

Then again I guess they might reveal more about the titans and their plans before we actually discover their identities. Manga wise how far into what's currently released is the identity reveal?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

Then again I guess they might reveal more about the titans and their plans before we actually discover their identities. Manga wise how far into what's currently released is the identity reveal?

About 12ish chapters.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think I misphrased that.

basically of all the manga chapters currently out how far in is the reveal from the start? Like is the identity reveal halfway through the series etc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't remember that but I do know that season 2 of the anime goes up to about chapter 50 of the manga and there are currently 103 chapters. so it's before the halfway point for sure

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay perfect, thanks a lot gang!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

I think I misphrased that.

basically of all the manga chapters currently out how far in is the reveal from the start? Like is the identity reveal halfway through the series etc.

Chapter 42.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's worth going back and looking at the manga chapter when it happens because the way it's revealed is so loving good.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

Look lads I don't know how Levi can do stuff cooler than Mikasa when she's like this

lmbo

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I love liveblogs from people new to the series so much :3: It's like seeing the series again for the first time.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

It's worth going back and looking at the manga chapter when it happens because the way it's revealed is so loving good.

When I first read it I thought the translators were pulling an april fools joke it's so amazing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Viridiant posted:

Are you sure you aren't referring to the other reveal (which was something that caught most people by surprise, as you mentioned)? EmmyOk was referring to Annie, which I recall not being particularly surprising, at least by the point she was at when she made that post.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Ytlaya posted:

Are you sure you aren't referring to the other reveal (which was something that caught most people by surprise, as you mentioned)? EmmyOk was referring to Annie, which I recall not being particularly surprising, at least by the point she was at when she made that post.

I thought they were talking about all three with the mention of the two other shifters, but yeah I'm definitely referring to the other reveal. I was introduced to the series through the anime, so I wasn't reading the manga until after Season 1 ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay it's time to watch some more finally!

"If you'd done your job and protected him we wouldn't be having this conversation!" Mikasa 1 - 0 Levi

I find the thud of the female titan running a weirdly calming rhythm lmao

"oh she swung a punch at Levi! I bet he'll dodge" did not loving expect him to sonic the hedgehog up the arm and blind the daft bitch :black101:

wtf how is he able to do this?

Why do we even need other scouts? lmbo he's insane

Mikasa was like not even needed what the helllllllllllllll

e: honestly annie you should be loving scarlet about ever turning into a titan again after being owned so bad

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 24, 2018