Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r97cOKM8KNY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Devor posted:

Just keeping putting up R15-8's until you're comfortable with the crash rate

Not far off:

I was curious and found the plan set. Here it is if anyone is interested: http://www.modot.mo.gov/eBidLettingPublicWeb/viewFileStream.do?documentType=plan&key=4099

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Of course this is in Missouri. They seem to take special pride in creating a highway system fit only for R'lyeh.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
This was months ago but I work for one of the big two bikeshare companies in Dallas if anyone wants to know stuff about our bike swarm apocalypse

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tatrakrad posted:

This was months ago but I work for one of the big two bikeshare companies in Dallas if anyone wants to know stuff about our bike swarm apocalypse

That sounds interesting. Bike share isn't a huge thing here, what sort of hurdles do you face setting it up and operating it?

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I'm on the lowest rung right now, I can mostly only answer questions about how we do things at an operational level. The political process for keeping Limebike in operation is wayyy above my pay grade.

That said, its a huge challenge keeping up with the number of 311 calls we get for blocking right of way or illegally parked bikes. Our ticketing system for this only lets a handful of people log in to one of the 7 zones Dallas is split into, so my co worker and I got hassled yesterday for blocking someone from getting on as he was showing me how to use it.

Vandalism and maintenance are huge problems. The first is kind of obvious , the bikes are all over the place and some of the destruction is honestly impressive. I did the Trinity Groves / Continental zone and our van had a grappling hook for retrieving bikes that get thrown into the Trinity river. If a bike is totaled/ red tagged its because of major structural damage / a missing lock mechanism / or if its been painted over because we dont have a paint booth at the warehouse. For a fleet of 10,000 bikes, we only have 2 mechanics who don't have stands to hold the bikes up or the special tool needed to properly remove the security bolt that holds the rear brake line.

The vast majority of organizational effort and grunt labor is spent on redistributing the bikes. Driving around in vans and picking up bikes, doing field repairs for stuff like kickstands / brakes / grips - which more often than not doesn't get done due to the pace expected of us, and dropping them off in neat groups (where we're legally allowed to have them set up). We have two 7 hour shifts a day doing this every day of the week including holidays.

Theres probably something more interesting I could add about our operations apps or something. I'm kind of worn down from lifting 55 pound bikes in and out of vans and stressing out about going out of the way for wrecks or to find better deployment zones. One of the shift supervisors just posted in our slack that day shift deployed and rebalanced fast enough to pass the 4000 ride quota he decided on. Hopefully night shift gets their 1600. We obviously have no control over how many people want to ride our bikes but the number of deployment zones filled with working bikes is a big part of that I guess.

Please let me die.

Tatrakrad fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 11, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

There was a limited deployment of lime bike near where I live. I am cautiously optimistic, but I can't imagine how it can be sustainable at the current $1 ride rate while accounting for keeping the fleet in order. Bluegogo already showed us that you can't just dump a bunch of bikes in a city and ignore them.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I didn't realise the bike share companies were Dallas exclusive, I kind of assumed they hit every where at once. I like the idea and have used them a few times, but yeah I have no idea how it's sustainable and 50% of the bikes I see look vandalized to hell.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Limebike for sure isn't Dallas exclusive, but we happen to be their largest market / operation and I have no idea how that happened.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I know that many other cities severely limited the number of licences for the bikes. Maybe that just didn't happen in Dallas?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm just boggling at 55 pound bikes. Jesus christ.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Javid posted:

In awe at the weight of this lad. Absolute unit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Roundabout chat: Just had this linked by ODOT

http://roundabouts.kittelson.com

Database/map of all (most?) roundabouts in the US.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They make a distinction for rotaries, which warms the cockles of my Masshole heart.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

My touring bike weighs 42 lbs with racks and fenders, and I consider that heavy as gently caress.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Definitely not particularly comprehensive, it's missing quite a few near me (which I did submit). Three of the five I regularly go around weren't there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I figured it may not have everything. Our roundabout design just finished stage 2 plan review so gently caress yeah I get to build one next year. Also my boss is leaving so I get to play interim city engineer until we get someone to fill the position.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Tatrakrad posted:

What are the economics of moving bikes with a truck from point a to point b, vs just making trips in that direction free or even earn you a buck in credit or whatever?

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

What are the economics of moving bikes with a truck from point a to point b, vs just making trips in that direction free or even earn you a buck in credit or whatever?

I don't think it's been seriously considered based purely on gut instinct. In Dallas, our warehouse location is south of Interstate 30 - a purely industrial neighborhood I wouldn't want to be in at night. There's little in the way of public transit, and people riding bikes in bourgie neighborhoods would never consider it. They might be able to incentivize riding towards a central point where all of our collection/deployment zones are centered, but without a central location to park I don't know if the resulting mess would be worth it. At $1 for 30 minutes or whatever we charge the local barflys and dorks any viable incentive for us probably wouldn't be worth it for most people.

I really only notice that the bikes are 55lbs when I'm trying to roll 2 at a time up the Trinity River Levee. It's deceptively tiring, even for people who aren't secretly troons with hormone reduced upper body strength.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Not sure if this is the place, but why might a construction zone have an orange sign for a stop light that was there for well over a decade and hasn't been changed in the least?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Not sure if this is the place, but why might a construction zone have an orange sign for a stop light that was there for well over a decade and hasn't been changed in the least?

Do you mean a W3-3 as shown on this link?

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part6/fig6f_04_1_longdesc.htm

Is it orange like that shows, or is it the duller yellow like the W3-3 on this page?

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/fig2c_06_longdesc.htm

In either case, it's just a warning sign that says "Look out, there's a signal here".

Best reasons this could be added in temporary orange: At some point, they're going to muck around and make lane changes or other stuff that are going to confuse people, and new drivers to the area might be less likely to notice the signal as they come upon it.

Bad reason it could be added in temporary orange: A lazy reviewer didn't want to look at the plans so they just offered an "Add a W3-3 sign" because it's easy and makes it look like they're doing stuff

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Is it just the traffic signal sign that changed? Sometimes the agency that owns the road will require all the existing signs get replaced with the contractor's own during construction so their signs don't get hosed up or lost.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Tatrakrad posted:

I don't think it's been seriously considered based purely on gut instinct.

It's used in, for instance, NYC's bike share system, but as a supplement to trucks rather than a replacement. Some people will take rides that are useful to you if you make them free or mildly rewarding, but like you said, when you get to the point of paying people to take rides they would not have otherwise wanted to take, no-one's going to do it for a price that would make it competitive with the trucks.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Devor posted:

Do you mean a W3-3 as shown on this link?

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part6/fig6f_04_1_longdesc.htm

Is it orange like that shows, or is it the duller yellow like the W3-3 on this page?

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/fig2c_06_longdesc.htm

In either case, it's just a warning sign that says "Look out, there's a signal here".

Best reasons this could be added in temporary orange: At some point, they're going to muck around and make lane changes or other stuff that are going to confuse people, and new drivers to the area might be less likely to notice the signal as they come upon it.

Bad reason it could be added in temporary orange: A lazy reviewer didn't want to look at the plans so they just offered an "Add a W3-3 sign" because it's easy and makes it look like they're doing stuff

Yeah, it was the orange W3-3.

They made a 2-lane road into a 4-lane divided with no other major changes that spring to mind. They didn't even shift lanes, just added one to each side and pushed the turn lanes one further out.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

"The space we took from pedestrians"

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Well, first...

sleepy.eyes posted:

They made a 2-lane road into a 4-lane divided...

At the very least they will need to add signal heads...so yes, it changed.

Second, it could be any number of reasons:
- They may be changing the signal operation during construction.
- They may be doing something that they fear would distract from or block sight of the upcoming signal.
- They may be reinforcing that the signal will say in effect despite the changes to the roadway.
- There may be a history of people running the light.
- They may need flaggers in the intersection regularly and want people to expect to stop.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuJ3NDq4AlA

Any opinions?

I'm not sure if this is a real product or just a pipe dream.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’s dahir insaat and you don’t know if it’s real?

You might want to do a YouTube search on them, you’re in for a treat.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Any opinions?

oh hey, a new Dahir Insaat. You'll notice that the entire thing's CGI, they didn't make anything. They're just a patent trolling company based in the mid-east (forget which country). That being said, this machine is actually almost reasonable compared to the other stuff they come up with. Everything from DEATH BEDS to machines to clear out cholesteral in arteries to quadcopters with enough firepower to level a military base (they really, really like quadcopters).

Also, I love how they cherry pick Moscow. Moscow's far enough north that I'm fairly sure the issue with potholes isn't so much the standard Russian corruption (though it probably doesn't help) but instead the old issue of water freezing to make potholes. Potholes which generally aren't worth properly patching until the weather warms up again.

Edit:
For your education since you likely didn't know about Dahir Insaat, have a collection of SA's own Slowbeef mocking their stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wgSicSbkI8

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 29, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Any opinions?

Hey Bob, do we want to spend $2M on the Pothole truck?

gently caress no, I barely trust you to drive to work in the morning. Let's keep fixing potholes with 3 guys in a pickup truck and warmed-over cold patch

Sounds good

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

Hey Bob, do we want to spend $2M on the Pothole truck?

gently caress no, I barely trust you to drive to work in the morning. Let's keep fixing potholes with 3 guys in a pickup truck and warmed-over cold patch

Sounds good

This. Only the big DOTs will have the coin for stuff like this.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Any opinions?

The circular saw spinning in a circle making a circular hole gave it away to me that it can't be real.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

DTurtle posted:

The circular saw spinning in a circle making a circular hole gave it away to me that it can't be real.
How are circular detector loops put in?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CopperHound posted:

How are circular detector loops put in?

Angular fillets at the corners

Here's an example from street view

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6528017,-75.5947814,3a,15.3y,175.54h,73.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH3HISXgwZJYBomiTVtGHLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bad Munki posted:

It’s dahir insaat and you don’t know if it’s real?

You might want to do a YouTube search on them, you’re in for a treat.

I Googled them and saw their web site is only marketing some kind of fibre board innovation, whatever it is, and does not mention this pot hole truck at all. Also it's completely incomprehensible. Hence the little disclaimer. The innovation as such doesn't look terrible, at least apart from the circular saw bit.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Devor posted:

Angular fillets at the corners
Some don't have straight lines:

I haven't seen them in action, but I'm assuming they probably don't use a six foot diameter core drill.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Probably one of those "cutting bit on the end of a long rod" tools. Flycutter?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I see a center divot in both the circular ones so whatever it is is centered in some way.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Surely there must be a way, given a fixed gopro watching an intersection to count pedestrians moving through a given space (crosswalk).

Also Cichlidae, I'm working at a Regional Planning Agency and twice now have used my knowledge of the MUTCD from this thread to win an argument. I don't know if this is good or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Elendil004 posted:

Surely there must be a way, given a fixed gopro watching an intersection to count pedestrians moving through a given space (crosswalk).

There's companies you can hire that will go out, install a camera (either attached to existing infrastructure like traffic signals/lighting, or big free-standing tripod with giant pole) and then process the video into vehicle and pedestrian counts.

I don't think they do computer-based counts for pedestrians, since it's harder to count groups of people that will be overlapping each other on the video, compared to discrete cars. And you'd have to spend a lot of effort back-checking the work anyways. But I think the computer-based video processing for vehicle movements is there in practice at this point.