Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Playing it right now and from a technical standpoint the port is flawless so far. Runs really well, game looks great, sounds great too.

From a gameplay perspective, the combat is actually pretty good for jRPG fair just a tad bit easy. Wish they had a difficulty slider or option in game. Some reviews have said that the game takes elements from Dark Cloud (an old Level 5 IP) and Suikoden 2. Which the story had the political intrigue that S2 had, NNK is basically a fairytale but hey different markets and targets. Very wholesome and kid friendly, except you know the whole nuking of of a modern city and the president shooting a stinking rat-vole-rodent piece of trash right in the face when he saw it
Dark Cloud elements like crafting your gear with all sorts of strange buffs or roguelike stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Worst case scenario: procedural golf.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Any news about the last episode of Kentucky Route Zero?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sininu posted:

Any news about the last episode of Kentucky Route Zero?
Should be coming out in the next few months, no official date yet though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Dark Cloud elements like crafting your gear with all sorts of strange buffs or roguelike stuff?

Im thinking its the nation building aspect

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SelenicMartian posted:

Best case scenario: procedural golf.

Spheda was great.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Speaking of Golf, someone needs to either put Sid Meier's Sim Golf on GoG/Steam or make a spiritual successor. Golf Tycoon game where you can golf on your own course(s) is awesome.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

How bad is the UPlay? I just wish they gave up on that poo poo and started integrating their games into Steam instead.

It's a very lightweight Chromium browser that downloads games :confused: just like GOG and Twitch.
I've never had a problem with it being used on its own, ie not linked with a Steam purchase which is just a bad idea don't do that poo poo.
uPlay keys also get incredibly cheap after a few years.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

anilEhilated posted:

How bad is the UPlay? I just wish they gave up on that poo poo and started integrating their games into Steam instead.
I don't really notice it outside of realizing that I've unlocked a bunch of achievements that gave me some Ubi currency to buy extra outfits/cars with.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Accordion Man posted:

Watch_Dogs 2 could easily have been the cringiest poo poo but the cast is genuinely likable and the game has a real earnest, goofy sincerity to it. The game handles its topics fairly well and is far more open in calling out bullshit in modern American society where most AAA games would chicken out and shy away from. (i.e. Like Ubi's own Far Cry 5.)
Yeah, the game has some surprisingly well written missions on topics normally avoided by video games. It pulls it off thanks to its "Hack the Planet" charm. I really like that at some point you can finish entire missions only by using hacking/drone/remote controlled buggy and by calling the police/the mob on your enemies all the while your character sits with his laptop behind some tree.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I was leery of Watch Dogs 2 because of Ubi's track record but I got it on sale a while back and I decided to finally play it instead of giving in to the Far Cry 5 hype and it's actually really good!

Also, you get to pet dogs! I feel like this can't be said enough.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Palpek posted:

More people should buy W_D2. It has a decent story, great dialogue, likable characters, it's genuinely funny and you can play it either causing total mayhem or going stealth (with full equipment going along with those). The multiplayer stuff with co-op missions, chases, invasions and pvp on the go when you feel like are also fun as hell. It's the best GTA-like in recent years imo.

I wanted to like WD2's gameplay, but nonlethal stealth clashes with the majority of the encounter design something fierce. Either you can trivialize encounters with the RC car so badly that it becomes rote and boring OR they turn into grueling clusterfucks because the AI cheats and even if it didn't, nonlethal means only knock out guards temporarily and generally create more problems than they solve. Not a big deal if you need to sneak into a tiny area to grab one thing and leave, totally incompatible if you're on one of the larger missions. The driving side of things varies between acceptable and obnoxious as well, with missions randomly having infinitely respawning pursuers, removing the whole point of hacking poo poo to escape them.

Though I think what really killed the momentum of my playthrough was one particular unnecessary plot beat that really sours the tone and is pretty much completely mishandled.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That mission is absurd and really soured my experience with the game but it's still worth playing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Arno is a blank slate who never accomplishes anything. He doesn't even get to do revolutionary stuff because Both Sides Are Bad in that game so he's just kind of around, doing nothing much, while other people have exciting adventures.

At least ac3 has Haytham in it

Unity really isn’t bad, especially since all the jank and stupid mobile app stuff got patched out. I revisited it recently and enjoyed it pretty well. It’s not top tier AC but anyone not fatigued on the series would likely enjoy it well enough.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The thing about Unity is that there are better Asscreeds to play, and if you already got through those, there are better games from other series to play. There's no reason to settle for mediocrity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

The Desmond story was the only thing keeping the AC series interesting

lol yeah being able to climb around and explore ancient, beautifully-rendered places isn't interesting at all

i want to hear more about this pasty white dude and his mentally handicapped friends-

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Samuringa posted:

There's no reason to settle for mediocrity.

Unless it’s on sale, obviously.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Playing it right now and from a technical standpoint the port is flawless so far. Runs really well, game looks great, sounds great too.

From a gameplay perspective, the combat is actually pretty good for jRPG fair just a tad bit easy. Wish they had a difficulty slider or option in game. Some reviews have said that the game takes elements from Dark Cloud (an old Level 5 IP) and Suikoden 2. Which the story had the political intrigue that S2 had, NNK is basically a fairytale but hey different markets and targets. Very wholesome and kid friendly, except you know the whole nuking of of a modern city and the president shooting a stinking rat-vole-rodent piece of trash right in the face when he saw it

You have me solld on Dark cloud. I forgot about those games.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

John Murdoch posted:

Someday I will play every single Assassins' Creed game.

Because I'm insane.

Progress so far: AC2, Brotherhood.

Someday.

Play Black Flag and then ride off into the sunset flipping double birds back, pirate4life!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Deakul posted:

I feel like Unity would be really good if the person playing it never played an AC before or they had a really long break between entries.
Its biggest crime is just being more of the same only now it has skill points and you can play dress up with individual pieces.

I also thought this and played Unity after a couple years of no AC (or other similar Ubi games). It was... alright, but not engaging. I played it on PC, and there were no game-breaking glitches, but plenty of screwed-up lighting and ugly pop-in. After about ten hours I got AC: Origins, and shortly after that I uninstalled Unity. It's just not worth it.

Sometimes I think about what would happen if a game like Unity had (somehow) been released in like 2004.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Terminally Bored posted:

Nah, gotta monetize that user data.

mm, thank god valve is innocent of shoving their drm into their games,

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

So far Valve is the only company I know of that has ever patched drm INTO their games

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wish they'd just data mine my birthday so I can stop entering it.

(its 1-1-1900)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

man nurse posted:

Unity really isn’t bad, especially since all the jank and stupid mobile app stuff got patched out.

I'm so glad this stopped being a "thing".

I think the only one I ever used was the one for AC4 so I could do the boat missions while at work.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

Unity really isn’t bad, especially since all the jank and stupid mobile app stuff got patched out. I revisited it recently and enjoyed it pretty well. It’s not top tier AC but anyone not fatigued on the series would likely enjoy it well enough.

The big thing Unity really does well is Paris itself. That game just absolutely oozes atmosphere even if the plot has a lot of issues.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is anyone in here playing Cabals? I'm finding it to be a fascinating mixture of card-game and small-scale tactical game. Matchmaking takes a bit, but it feels really satisfying to play.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Didn't spot an Anno thread so asking here:

I played and enjoyed Anno 1404 a few years back and noticed Anno 2205 and Anno 2070 are on sale this weekend for more or less the same price. Are there any reasons not to just get the newest one?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wish they'd just data mine my birthday so I can stop entering it.

(its 1-1-1900)
I got one for World of Final Fantasy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ripper Swarm posted:

I played and enjoyed Anno 1404 a few years back and noticed Anno 2205 and Anno 2070 are on sale this weekend for more or less the same price. Are there any reasons not to just get the newest one?

Yes. 2205 does not have freeplay, it's all scenarios in pre-set areas. it also runs terribly, for some reason. on the other hand 2070 has Always Online Drm which is a problem -- it disables some features if you're offline.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is anyone in here playing Cabals? I'm finding it to be a fascinating mixture of card-game and small-scale tactical game. Matchmaking takes a bit, but it feels really satisfying to play.

Pretty sure this is an old-rear end mobile game despite the early access tag.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I looked into it to see if it also had that thing where no matter what the turn order is always a friendly unit followed by a hostile unit. Didn't find any concrete mechanics, but they keep mentioning that smaller teams have some kind of turn-order advantage which doesn't really fill me with confidence. But hey, maybe I'm reading it wrong, I'll wait and see what people say.

Yes, the turn system works similar to Banner Saga with a few difference. There is no pillage mode, so the last enemy unit will get to move every turn. At least attack damage is now separate from health so it's not going to be hitting you with 20+ strength hits every turn.
Also you can decide which unit to move within your turn, there's no initiative system, however, the character you moved will not be available until you cycle through all your character first. I guess that's what the dev meant by turn-order advantage.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Grand Theft Auto V is on sale this week. I've got fond memories of GTA: San Andreas and think it might be neat to see a modern version of that world.

How is it - the single-player game, not GTA Online? Is it poorly optimized? Does it control well with mouse/keyboard? Most importantly, is it fun?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ripper Swarm posted:

I've written long reviews of both Anno 2070 and Anno 2205 (and Anno 1404 if you need a point of reference) if you want extensive breakdowns. Personally I think 2070 is best of all of them, with a lot of polish and neat features that 1404 was lacking. 2205 is very different from previous Annos in that there are no scenarios, just one giant global map of zones you develop and connect. I still enjoy it but it's overly-streamlined compared to previous ones and probably won't suit you unless you're specifically looking for that sort of long-term development over tighter scenarios.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Grand Theft Auto V is on sale this week. I've got fond memories of GTA: San Andreas and think it might be neat to see a modern version of that world.

How is it - the single-player game, not GTA Online? Is it poorly optimized? Does it control well with mouse/keyboard? Most importantly, is it fun?

I think it's pretty well optimized. Max settings work fine on my 3 year old machine. I think it's fun, the characters are good. Idk about mouse and keyboard, I always use an Xbox controller.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

All this AC talk, I just finished Brotherhood. The assassin's guild aka your personal hit squad is pretty cool. The thing that makes 0 sense is how the gently caress do they hear your whistles from across the whole of Rome or are they tailing you through everything you do, a lot of it which is falling off roofs.

Also the hud in these games is atrocious. I just removed everything other than the controls/map because there was too much stuff on the screen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I played the PS3 version so dunno about performance but right around the time the game has a mission where you spend literally 20 minutes working in a shipyard was about the time I started to sour on the game. I started noticing that the missions weren't actually rewarding me with anything, most of the missions were just driving to various parts of the map while listening to characters talk and then driving back while listening to characters talk, the characters were the epitome of Rockstar's self-indulgent unfunny satire, and it wasn't even fun to just run around and shoot poo poo because you only regenerate half your health and even the street cops are super accurate. The big missions the game does have are fine but the "heists" with various outcomes depending on what happens and who you hire that they talked so much about actually only happen twice, and I'd argue only one of those lived up to the hype.

The online really is the only fun part to me.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Steven Ogg is all you need in life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsaLDnl_fEs

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The campaign from Northgard is leaving mixed impressions. I did the first mission which is basically 'Send a scout to find the shoreline and build a dock' which like typical tutorial fodder except it somehow ended up taking like an hour because of the two dozen intermediary steps to get there and all the different little timers you need to wait for.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's... okay. I mean the game-world is stunning as an achievement and there are some really good character moments, but the writing suffers from feeling like the writer wants to be doing stylized crime drama dialogue but can't quite get it to come across as naturalistic. Everything feels just a little forced for the most part, like the characters are trying a little too hard to be capital c Characters.

I certainly enjoyed playing it though, but it didn't quite have that same feeling that San Andreas did where you could just wander about on foot or in a car listening to the radio or people-watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It was the first GTA game I bothered to complete. I dug it.

Just found out the new premium skin for Injustice 2 is just Bruce Wayne in a suit. That's either gonna be amazing or just flat out weird. My friend has already decided if they end up modding him to throw credit cards instead of batarangs, he's buying him, and I can't really disagree.