Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

akadajet posted:

not in the US. here you have to put your card in a slot and wait like 12 seconds before it buzzes angrily at you to remove it. in the past you'd just swipe and that'd be it. apple pay is okay when it works, but it rarely does. and then you look like an idiot while you fish out your card from your wallet.

applepay has never once not worked for me. you're holding it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

applepay has never once not worked for me. you're holding it wrong

Very first time I tried it, it failed and the POS seized up. It doesn't work at the grocery store by me. Everywhere else I've tried it has been hit or miss.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apple pay seems like a bunch of extra effort over just tapping your card, but i guess y'all have george costanza wallets or something

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

apple pay seems like a bunch of extra effort over just tapping your card, but i guess y'all have george costanza wallets or something

None of my cards have NFC. And not every store has NFC readers. I'd love it if they did.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

Yeah, I would think stores with a high volume of transactions would be pretty pissed that it takes 10x as long to check people out.

i would like to think that neither you or i am a store

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i would like to think that neither you or i am a store

and I never complained that it takes a significant portion of my day away. it's just more awkward than what we had.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

None of my cards have NFC. And not every store has NFC readers. I'd love it if they did.

i'm sorry your country hasn't figured out merchant services yet.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
my bank doesn't even offer Apple Pay

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also, apple pay is just nfc, how do you have apple pay in places you can't use an nfc tap card?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah, it's all badly implemented. that's what I'm saying.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Smiths card machines process chip card transactions in a few seconds while target seems to take a year.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

also, apple pay is just nfc, how do you have apple pay in places you can't use an nfc tap card?

almost no one in the US has a tap card.

and getting out your phone is faster than digging your CC out of your wallet anyway

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I didn't bother with a nfc card yet because chip + pin is fine hth

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

yah i chose against getting an nfc card. especially given that i have an ancient constanza wallet with no rfid protection

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

remember when credit cards were fast and convenient before all of this chip and apple pay garbage?

remember when half the credit card fraud in the world took place in the US because we held on to magstripe cards for so much longer than everyone else?

remember when Home Depot and Target got hacked and millions of credit card numbers were stolen because they stored the CC number of every single customer who bought anything in one of their physical stores?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yah i chose against getting an nfc card. especially given that i have an ancient constanza wallet with no rfid protection

my "wallet" is a slim metal case that just happens to be the perfect size for holding my id, transit pass, bank card and cc. i only have nfc enabled on the credit card because lol if i'm letting anything touch my bank account without a pin

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tap cards mysteriously disappeared like 10 years ago in the US

for some bizarre reason Apple Pay is faster than the chip readers on the same devices

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

tap cards mysteriously disappeared like 10 years ago in the US

for some bizarre reason Apple Pay is faster than the chip readers on the same devices

The first set of chip readers (in the eu) were kinda slow, same with the pin authorization machines. They are almost all instant now though. The only bad ones are the tube entry/exit ones where you have to hold for like 3/4 a second, but you get used to that pretty quickly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my "wallet" is a slim metal case that just happens to be the perfect size for holding my id, transit pass, bank card and cc. i only have nfc enabled on the credit card because lol if i'm letting anything touch my bank account without a pin

yeah my buddy showed me that he has one of those too and now im planning to buy one myself next weeks since i really need to carry my id card, my debit card, two electronic keys, and members pass for local gas station i walk by each morning since they give free food and coffee every half a dozen coffee or food purchases respectively

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
someone tried to use my AmEx to buy $800 of stuff at Macy’s so they instantly texted me about it, cancelled my card and fedexed me a new one.
They pushed the updated card to my Apple Pay and I didn’t have to do anything so good work I guess.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

I thought chip + pin was fine but tap is everywhere and super convenient, also you can't chip and pin a vending machine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah my buddy showed me that he has one of those too and now im planning to buy one myself next weeks since i really need to carry my id card, my debit card, two electronic keys, and members pass for local gas station i walk by each morning since they give free food and coffee every half a dozen coffee or food purchases respectively

i use a wallet phone case since I don't like to carry a lot of stuff and don't have too many cards, it's functional but could be nicer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

nope. Apple Pay is tokenized nfc with biometric confirmation. it generates a new card number for every transaction and authorizes the transaction with your finger instead of a PIN

nfc tap cards are just wireless swiping

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

someone tried to use my AmEx to buy $800 of stuff at Macy’s so they instantly texted me about it, cancelled my card and fedexed me a new one.
They pushed the updated card to my Apple Pay and I didn’t have to do anything so good work I guess.

yeah amex is real good with apple pay, with full transaction history instead of just those made on that phone, and apple wallet notifications for transactions done with the physical card

i was grocery shopping at a store id never been to in a different city last weekend, and habitually tried to use apple pay since i saw the "tap card" symbol on the reader, it failed and told me to insert the chip instead of swiping, which is the only time ive ever had something like that happen, it was super weird

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

nope. Apple Pay is tokenized nfc with biometric confirmation. it generates a new card number for every transaction and authorizes the transaction with your finger instead of a PIN

sorry, i was unspecific, applepay uses nfc, so how do you have apple pay but can't use tap cards?

evidently because your backwards rear end banks stopped issuing tap cards or something

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
apple pay also uses your face (i.e. someone's face) because lol iphonx

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ars has a cool piece on the pippen

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 24, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OldAlias posted:

i use a wallet phone case since I don't like to carry a lot of stuff and don't have too many cards, it's functional but could be nicer
i got myself a decently protective folio case for phone, but it can only fit 1 card so im not using that until apple pay is ubiquitous or we get a smartphone app that passes for id everywhere since i still get carded frequently

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Management posted:

if i use apple pay with my debit card the POS still prompts for my pin lol

3-factor?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

YPOSPOS

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the arkansas cousin

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

as usual, i must protest at this wanton dilution of my brand

ALL THESE BRANDS ARE YOURS – EXCEPT STYMIE
ATTEMPT NO ENGAGEMENT THERE

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Apple Pay is great on a watch and lovely on a phone

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last night my SE got so hot while charging that it literally woke me up. Apple gonna burn my house down.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Kobayashi posted:

Last night my SE got so hot while charging that it literally woke me up. Apple gonna burn my house down.

stop sleeping on top of your phone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he sleeps with it gently cradled in his buttocks

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lysidas posted:

i was grocery shopping at a store id never been to in a different city last weekend, and habitually tried to use apple pay since i saw the "tap card" symbol on the reader, it failed and told me to insert the chip instead of swiping, which is the only time ive ever had something like that happen, it was super weird

i've had it happen where the terminal has nfc capabilities and pops up the wallet when i hold my phone over it, but after a few seconds it just makes an obnoxious noise with CARD READ ERROR on the screen and won't work until i insert the actual card

you would think that the payment companies would incentivize retailers to support mobile payments since they basically eliminate the possibility of compromising accounts via skimming or hacking

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gosh it's almost as if apple pay doesn't work very well

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Kobayashi posted:

it’s not meant to be charged wedged in adipose tissue

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sorry, i was unspecific, applepay uses nfc, so how do you have apple pay but can't use tap cards?

evidently because your backwards rear end banks stopped issuing tap cards or something
yeah, if you happen to have a tap card, then you can use it at places that accept nfc payments. i don't know of any banks currently offering tap cards, but i haven't really bothered to look into it, so it's possible some do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what are you worried about? if you've ever used a nfc card like on public transport you'd know accidentally scanning it somewhere is a complete non-issue. I remember when nfc cards were just coming out and people thought holding the card in your hand while the bus drove by would scan your card on the bus lol