Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sadly there are no Leviathans in Russian waters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
In Soviet Russia..

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can you build thermal reactors around volcanic vents, or does it have to be lava vents?

Also finally found the deep Grand Reef Degasi seabase. Warpers aren't as scary as I thought at first but still annoying. Do toxic missiles reliably kill them?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Inescapable Duck posted:

Can you build thermal reactors around volcanic vents, or does it have to be lava vents?

Equip a thermometer and swim around. Anywhere that's over 25 degrees Celcius can draw power from a thermal reactor. Obviously, the hotter it is, the better it performs, and volcanic/lava vents will be hotter than just open ocean.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Where are people getting names for the biomes? I keep seeing people reference things like "Grand Reef" and "Lost River" like it's official terminology, but all of my beacons are labeled things like "Deep Cave" and "Lava Vents" and "Weird Alien Thing".

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Where are people getting names for the biomes? I keep seeing people reference things like "Grand Reef" and "Lost River" like it's official terminology, but all of my beacons are labeled things like "Deep Cave" and "Lava Vents" and "Weird Alien Thing".

If you cheat and open up the F1 console it has the biome names there.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

There are also the maps you can find online that use the console names.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also finally found the deep Grand Reef Degasi seabase. Warpers aren't as scary as I thought at first but still annoying. Do toxic missiles reliably kill them?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Equip a thermometer and swim around. Anywhere that's over 25 degrees Celcius can draw power from a thermal reactor. Obviously, the hotter it is, the better it performs, and volcanic/lava vents will be hotter than just open ocean.
If you find yourself wondering why you can't equip a thermometer, they removed it from usable options around the same time they turned beacons and laser cutters into fragments. The Seamoth and Prawn have built in readouts now, but you can hardly place items while inside them. Though I've seen plenty of reports post launch of people still having the blueprint for it for some reason, asking why they can't craft it. Adding a further irony to the Dev claims they removed personal thermometers "To reduce confusion in new players".

The color coding for "Orange bad, green good!" while placing them is so bad, it considered me building it inside of the alien containment facility a green rating. Green is just = "It will get literally any energy" vs Orange=Zero energy.

Efficiency wise, the main downside of stuff like average vents vs black smokers, is consistency. Most of the thermal vents in the safe shallows have a decent temperature, then spike up for their periodic eruptions. Stuff like black smokers are constantly the same high temperature. But as long as you're building it anywhere near an actual heat source (or outdoors in the lava biomes) you'll get a reasonable amount of energy.

EDIT: Oh, right. If you use transmitters, don't transmit to something too far away. While 200m away bases seem to never have any issue, the same terrain issues that screw with the scan room seem to impact transmitters and thermal generators. As I've seen reports of them simply not providing any energy anymore if built "Too far away", most likely cause being the game not loading in the fact there is a heat source to draw on.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 25, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Inescapable Duck posted:

Toxic missiles don't reliably kill anything. However, warpers literally can't be killed so it doesn't matter.

Just avoid them. Or stasis them. Or punt them away with the repulsion canon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Punt them across the cave as revenge for randomly teleporting me, got it.

Warpers freak me out a bit. I've had one chase me all the way up onto the beach of the quarantine island til it was almost out of the water.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I bought this game probably a week after early access launch and since the introduction of warpers up until about a week ago I was under the impression that they could warp you anywhere on the map. The thought of being warped out of my seamoth and then warped to like 1,000 meters down in the dark freaked me the gently caress out. Now I know I can just pretty much ignore them and they're only a minor nuisance.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've had them glitch out and send me into solid world geometry a few times, which killed me once because I swam into an isolated pocket of loose hollow geometry and got trapped while trying to swim back into the proper world.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Untrustable posted:

I bought this game probably a week after early access launch and since the introduction of warpers up until about a week ago I was under the impression that they could warp you anywhere on the map. The thought of being warped out of my seamoth and then warped to like 1,000 meters down in the dark freaked me the gently caress out. Now I know I can just pretty much ignore them and they're only a minor nuisance.

Now there's a good hardcore mode idea.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the way the story has been playing out early, it kinda feels like theres a timelimit, but that doesnt really mesh with the gameplay. is there one that i should worry about and is it obvious?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Untrustable posted:

Apparently at one point not only would warpers blink you out of your prawn/Seamoth, they could also summon predators to play with you. Yanked out of your ride while a confused and angry boneshark is nipping at your heels sounds, well...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Verviticus posted:

the way the story has been playing out early, it kinda feels like theres a timelimit, but that doesnt really mesh with the gameplay. is there one that i should worry about and is it obvious?

Nah don't worry about it. There is no failstate in this game where you can't progress because you took too long.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
does the game care at all? is there going to be two different paths for any quests based on time?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Verviticus posted:

does the game care at all? is there going to be two different paths for any quests based on time?

Some stuff happens that seems like it's urgent but nothing is missable or changes if you take too long.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

awesome., thanks

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Verviticus posted:

does the game care at all?

Nope.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Nope, no different outcomes. There's one timed/scripted sequence that affects the world by opening up an area but other than that it's entirely static.

The story is almost linear to a fault, actually--I really wish I could end the game without disabling the Quarantine Enforcement Platform but nope, the AI just squaks at you and refuses to let you activate the rocket.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Had this forever since it was in a humble bundle at one point, and decided to finally fire it up after watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look(which has the Sunbeam part of the story in it, and everything associated with it, for the first time which is a hoot to see them react to). Didn't grab me for the first couple hours, felt like a more tedious No Man's Sky underwater, but eventually I built a vehicle bay and a Sea Moth and things really kicked off from there, can't put it down.

Really the two most notable experiences I've had are when you build the radiation suit and so you can get closer to the Aurora, and you're likely supposed to get your poo poo hosed six ways to sunday by one of those massive multi-jawed sea serpents. Except I didn't plan to jet right over to it, instead slowly making my way toward it, harvesting stuff as I went. I'd park the Sea Moth in "midair" and then scurry about hoovering up salt and stuff. One time I did so, I suddenly hear warning klaxons and a robot voice saying various warnings about hull damage and stuff, roaring, etc behind me, the klaxons and voice trailing off as I turn around to see one of those sea serpents grab my Sea Moth and just jack its poo poo up before hurling it off like 100 meters away, then casually slithering back into the ocean fog and weeds. I was looking for a trailer to show a friend(and I guess they shelled out for a fully cinematic trailer which is neat, and maybe spoilery???) and got spoiled on a bunch of stuff thanks to youtube clickbait shitstains, but it seems the sea serpents are specifically designed to be as jumpscare-ey as possible, with those spikey bits on the sides of its head designed to grab your sea moth and position it right in front of the snapping, horrible jaws of the thing? Dang. Had one come after me in the depths and I just kinda danced around it, but the sunken, empty eyes were definitely creepy. Dunno if they're as creepy as the loving spider-crab-mars attacks guys though or the warper dudes.

The other notable experience was when I was down in that cavern with the obnoxious snake things that live in the pink sea anemones, and left my sea moth where I thought it was safe. It was, in that it didn't get destroyed or anything. But it did get pushed right through a wall by one of the snake dudes, and so when I went to board to replenish my oxygen, the waypoint was 10m inside a wall and I drowned. I didn't want to reload because for some ungodly reason there's no autosave and my last save was an hour prior, before I had found a few very helpful blueprint sources while randomly exploring, so I tried positioning myself and aggroing one of the snakes to attack me against the wall, and it worked, clipping me right through next to the Sea Moth! Handy! But that sort of bug is exactly why I'd never play something like this on ironman. One stupid glitch and your entire game is gone through no fault of your own.

Good game though. Gives me a No Man's Sky vibe, but in a localized area with wider variety. Do they plan to continue updating it until they don't feel like it anymore, or are they going to finish up adding a few more things and leave it at that? I could definitely see some things fixed(the crafting menu/blueprint menu is atrocious), but this is way improved from whenever it first hit EA.

I have a question, is the scan room useless? I equipped it with two range modules and it doesn't find wrecks far away at all. And it keeps directing me to wrecks I've already cleared. It'd be nice if you could toggle off ones you've already been to, same with the databank thingies that you can scan for.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Captain Invictus posted:

Do they plan to continue updating it until they don't feel like it anymore, or are they going to finish up adding a few more things and leave it at that?

They are currently working on an expansion set in an arctic biome.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 26, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The monsters of this game are absolutely designed to be as scary as possible, and you haven't even met the really freaky ones yet.

Scanner rooms are useful, but not in the way you seem to be wanting to use them. Mostly they're good for pointing out resources for easy pickings, for showing a map of an area to give you a stronger idea of the surrounding terrain, and keeping track of giant monsters for fun and to know how to stay the hell away from them. I've got a base set up near the Aurora where I can sit and watch a Reaper swim around, it's pretty cool.

Finding wrecks is an important part of the game, but they're spread out enough that you'll be wanting to make use of beacons to mark them and come back at your leisure with more inventory space and physically and mentally prepared to deal with any nearby hostile wildlife (and getting lost in the wreck and drowning). The placement of stuff in wrecks is more or less arranged by distance from Lifepod 5, it helps to circle out from there and pick up things before making too many major expeditions.

Also, Reefbacks seem to serve a subtle, important purpose; anywhere you see them swimming around, it's somewhere you're unlikely to find other Leviathans around.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Not being able to build a base on a reefback is the biggest flaw of Subnautica.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Untrustable posted:

Not being able to build a base on a reefback is the biggest flaw of Subnautica.

Someone else hasn't been in a place where a reefback got stuck on geometry/a part of their base.
Let me tell you, those big deep honks they do? Get old real fast when you're stuck listening them up close for an hour on end.

Not being able to build a base on a reefback is not the biggest flaw of Subnautica. :colbert:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The biggest flaw is not being able to ride a Reaper like a worm from Dune.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

You can sort of in the prawn suit with the grapple.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Degasi survivors for all their arguments must have been pretty hardcore to survive as well as they did, all things considered. It seems implied that at least some of the vehicle and structure fragments you find scattered around might have come from stuff built by them, or the longer-lasting Aurora survivors. Maybe the Warpers weren't as active before the Aurora crash, given what it took to finally break their deep sea base.

Stupid lesson of the day #2: Scanner rooms can track Reapers, but not Ghosts. One has decided to patrol by my deep reef diving base.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 26, 2018

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Been playing through this and recently got to the Lost River and alien research facility where the infection gets worse and is it just me or does this make you need to drink more often?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So what would be the absolute shortest path of the game? Disregarding glitches and skipping everything optional?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

Been playing through this and recently got to the Lost River and alien research facility where the infection gets worse and is it just me or does this make you need to drink more often?

The story has no bearing on gameplay mechanics outside of gating the very end of the game behind it

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So what would be the absolute shortest path of the game? Disregarding glitches and skipping everything optional?

i'm not sure what you're asking? Do you mean hitting up all lifepods, wrecks, degassi bases etc?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sloober posted:

i'm not sure what you're asking? Do you mean hitting up all lifepods, wrecks, degassi bases etc?

The way I interpret it they're asking for the minimum things you can get away with doing to complete the game, basically a glitchless speedrun route.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJBO_fWZkU0

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wolrah posted:

The way I interpret it they're asking for the minimum things you can get away with doing to complete the game, basically a glitchless speedrun route.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJBO_fWZkU0

well there you have it. With two spare air tanks you can get all the way to the lava castle using only the seaglide.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does engine efficiency increase movement speed or reduce power consumption?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

cheetah7071 posted:

Does engine efficiency increase movement speed or reduce power consumption?

Power consumption. It's good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's probably the #1 upgrade for the Cyclops, and you even get one for free while exploring the Aurora.

For the Seamoth it's not so critical since it can charge in a moonpool.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 26, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I only have the resources on hand to make it for cyclops or seamoth and which upgrade it was determined which I built first

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The solar charger for the seamoth really makes the efficiency upgrade useless. It's not a bad idea for a prawn, though, since those are harder to take back to base and their recharge upgrade is an endgame thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've so far found that default efficiency is more than sufficient for going just about anywhere and getting back home with the seamoth no problem. Absolute worst case scenario, I have a backup powercell in its storage. No idea about the Prawn Suit since I don't have it. I haven't actually tried building things like refabricators in the Cyclops yet though there's plenty of wall so I assume it's possible? But I also assume that you can't get infinite power by building a power cell recharger inside it. My current plan is to use the Cyclops' storage to carry enough poo poo for a lovely hobo base to try to use that for power rather than using the Cyclops' power itself. Once I start finding kyanite I have the blueprint for the thermal charger which will solve my issues as I just park it somewhere warm wherever I go.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 26, 2018