Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not sure what to think about Anglicism yet. On one hand you get Anglican points much faster than Pope points but on the other there aren't as many things to spend them on. And the interface is in a submenu under a tab in ledger thing instead of a convenient button in the corner which also displays how many points you have. :shrug:

deathbagel posted:

Well then you spent your :10bux: on the right forum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Turns out France is a bro :toot:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Finally Chester gets the respect it deserves. The worlds richest province.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Poil posted:

I'm not sure what to think about Anglicism yet. On one hand you get Anglican points much faster than Pope points but on the other there aren't as many things to spend them on. And the interface is in a submenu under a tab in ledger thing instead of a convenient button in the corner which also displays how many points you have. :shrug:

It's pretty economy focused as opposed to regular Protestant and Orthodox where I just always did military stuff.

The +1 stab is pretty nice, I often just hold onto 200 points to keep myself at +3.

The money one is alright, but it's only around 6 months of ducats? Or is it pegged to your loan amount? Hard to tell, just seems like it's not that great.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

At the point I am hitting the money it's 3000 ducats a pop. Which is nothing to sneeze at.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
In my game Anglicanism spawned in Scotland, England was Catholic but flipped to protestant due to rebels, and I never got an opportunity as Ireland to be Anglican. What is the trigger?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The new missions are cool but due to forgetting about them I'd conquered all of scotland and Ireland before the permanent claims happened :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The mission interface needs some improvements, it's really hard to tell at a glance which ones are complete or available to complete.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah shout out to the design guy at paradox who can tell the difference between polished gold and slightly lustrous gold

or the ae map's range from dull peach pink to dull salmon pink

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

oddium posted:

yeah shout out to the design guy at paradox who can tell the difference between polished gold and slightly lustrous gold

:agreed:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

None of my boats will do missions in the Baltic Sea, am I missing something? I've got galleys with an admiral in the Baltic sea, but when I do select a mission, either hunt enemy ships or blockade ports, only North Atlantic and the Med come up. Happens for all fleets. What gives?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Does the "length of war" modifier when in a war have a cap? I had a pretty good first war with the ottomans as Byzantium, and in the second war I have them securely across the strait, but the warscore is about 26% away from kicking them off my side entirely. I guess I could just take all their coastal provinces and leave the inland ones for another war.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

In my game Anglicanism spawned in Scotland, England was Catholic but flipped to protestant due to rebels, and I never got an opportunity as Ireland to be Anglican. What is the trigger?

I believe Anglicanism will only trigger for nations in the British culture group. Irish is in the Celtic culture group.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Liking the new mission system so far.

Is it intentional that you can't convert to Anglicanism? England spawned it and I wanted to try it out, but no dice. So now I'm just reformed Scotland instead, since I haven't actually used Reformed since the Protestant rework.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Doing a lazy France run to test out new missions, and holy hell, got the meanest Reformation ever. Both Poland and Spain went protestant, something I had never seen. I ended up becoming emperor for some weird reason, used it to swallow more HRE land, and then of course the league war broke. Thankfully i was allied with both Ottomans and Sweden, and we rolled over everyone else.

I was tempted to join in, but being able to turn papal authority into mercantilism, Manpower boosts and stability is just so strong.

And then of course, Pope excomunicates me a few years later, never mind me having saved Catholicism. :P

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MrBling posted:

Liking the new mission system so far.

My main complaint is you'll get CBs that expire and they don't always make sense "flow" wise. Like for England, the Subjugate France mission gives you an expiring Restore Union CB, which kinda conflicts with the Angevin Kingdom mission which wants you to control a lot of French provinces.

You need to enforce the PU on France first, it's almost impossible to take all the Angevin Kingdom land before your CB to PU France expires.

Unfortunately that's really only something you'll figure out after playing through the first 60 years and making the mistake of trying to cut France down to size by doing Angevin Kingdom first.

The system is fine, the actual mission trees could use a lot of fleshing out for non-European nations and some tweaking so they make more sense and are straightforward.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh god I forced a personal union on France, my monarch died and I lost the personal union, then I declared another war to renew the personal union and won it, and now I have double aggressive expansion penalties for a huge personal union

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

My only complaint with the mission system is I wish it had more permanent bonuses besides claims. Like, as England, after I took over Ireland, I waited for a long time before actually finishing the mission for autonomy to lower.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah generally speaking other than some excessively generous handing out of permaclaims as opposed to regular claims my main complaint about the mission system is that it mostly rewards you with more claims and the other buffs you get are not great. There are exceptions, Byz and Timurids have some pretty sweet non-claims bonuses both temporary and permanent (they both also poo poo claims all over as well - the wildly divergent power levels of mission sets is also a slight issue)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

oddium posted:

I think it's the same guy who paints the borders in Stellaris.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

My main complaint is you'll get CBs that expire and they don't always make sense "flow" wise. Like for England, the Subjugate France mission gives you an expiring Restore Union CB, which kinda conflicts with the Angevin Kingdom mission which wants you to control a lot of French provinces.

You need to enforce the PU on France first, it's almost impossible to take all the Angevin Kingdom land before your CB to PU France expires.

Unfortunately that's really only something you'll figure out after playing through the first 60 years and making the mistake of trying to cut France down to size by doing Angevin Kingdom first.

The system is fine, the actual mission trees could use a lot of fleshing out for non-European nations and some tweaking so they make more sense and are straightforward.

You don't actually need to put France in a PU to complete Subjugate France.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

oddium posted:

Groogy pls

Is there a mod that globally disables permanent claims? Things seem to tend to go a bit too railroady even without lucky nations. Are there any mods that specifically just slightly mix things up a bit from the historical start? Just give the historically major countries a development nerf, have them release some nations at start, stuff like that?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't actually need to put France in a PU to complete Subjugate France.

Correct, but if you want to PU France the CB is likely to expire before you cut them down to a manageable size if you complete the Strategic Control mission too early. It saves you a ton of AE and headache to downsize then PU France rather than trying to directly conquer all of it.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

When they said "Rule Britannia" this is what they meant, right? :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Close enough, but the holy land is the other way isn't it? :v:

I haven't seen the Commonwealth in a long time.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Poil posted:

I'm debating giving it to Malta when I punch it out of the Ottomans :v:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Had the biggest Commonwealth I ever saw in my current game. Then they got attacked by Prussia, Russia, and the Ottomans. Oh well.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
So, what's the consensus on RB? Worth picking up the paid content?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
In one of my recent England games, the Ivory Coast is controller by Gelre.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Right before RB came out I witnessed the O’Neill dynasty unite Ireland early on and stay independent through the end of the game. Doubt I’ll ever see that again.

Another fun thing that happened in that game (I was Bohemia) was annexing Brandenburg early on and surviving the follow up coalition war thanks to allying the Ottomans. Ottomans saved me during the League Wars too. Finally, Ottomans helped me release Nitra from Hungary. Then, after Hungary was gone and I was Emperor, Nitra joined the empire and gave me 30 IA at once because “rumor has it they fear the Ottomans”. Cool game and I think my first time playing completely landlocked.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Poil posted:

Someone took Jerusalem literally, I guess :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc9Ww3rmT7I

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Poil posted:

I haven't seen the Commonwealth in a long time.

Very first EU4 game I played - as the Ottomans, to learn the ropes - I had a Commonwealth a bit bigger than that, and also in a personal union with Russia and Naples. My game ended when they decided everything around the Black and Aegean Seas belonged to them. It was before this latest patch so i don't think I can load it up to get a screenshot, unfortunately, but they were led by the Hapsburgs, just to cap it all off.

EDIT: As long as I'm here, can someone explain - in very, very simple language - how to do trade and development good?

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 25, 2018

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Moon Slayer posted:

EDIT: As long as I'm here, can someone explain - in very, very simple language - how to do trade and development good?

Just watch this for trade, and check out the rest of Reman's videos too to learn more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjLVFMjPyo

For development, you're better off acquiring more land than you are developing the land you already have except in two specific cases: when you are about to lose points to the cap or when you're trying to embrace an institution.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Detheros posted:

When they said "Rule Britannia" this is what they meant, right? :v:

"Was Jerusalem built here,
In England's green and pleasant land"

Checks out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So I'm playing as Byzantium, and after a really good start I've conquered Naples. Should I use my merchants to push trade through Constantinople and Ragusa and into Genoa? I have a merchant there and he's getting me nearly three ducats a month even with the malus for collecting in a non-capital node, but I'm also earning 10 ducats a month from Constantinople. Maybe I should keep collecting in Constantinople, push in Ragusa, and keep collecting in Genoa?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Haven't played for a couple patches. Is it just me or is the game way slower?

Fastest game speed is chugging when it used to be pretty drat quick.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Pylons posted:

So I'm playing as Byzantium, and after a really good start I've conquered Naples. Should I use my merchants to push trade through Constantinople and Ragusa and into Genoa? I have a merchant there and he's getting me nearly three ducats a month even with the malus for collecting in a non-capital node, but I'm also earning 10 ducats a month from Constantinople. Maybe I should keep collecting in Constantinople, push in Ragusa, and keep collecting in Genoa?

How do you get started as Byzantium in RB?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Same as always, it's just a bit harder because the OE builds more boats (to the point where doing the blockade strat is nearly impossible now) and they are much more aggressive due to the new missions. But you can go hog loving wild with missions once you start the conquering spree :v:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Build up to your force limit, ally Albania, hope the Ottomans declare on them first. Then I just attached my army to Skanderbeg and let him do the rest. When the war was going well, I separate peaced for Edirne, then Albania won the war and gave me most my Greek provinces back. Then I took out some loans to match the Ottomans galley fleet.

Another question: Is it worth taking out loans to build manufactories? It doesn't seem like other buildings provide enough of a return, but manufactories I'm a little more uncertain of, and I'm having trouble keeping a good economy right now.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

not mine