Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

empty whippet box posted:

lol @ not being able to live on 18 dollars an hour, literally anywhere in the USA. Meanwhile someone right down the street from someone 'not able to make it' making that much is forced to make it on 8 or 9 dollars an hour. I mean, honestly nobody in this country should have to work for less than 15 an hour but oh well.

MLK JR talked about minimum wage in his I have a dream speech, he said it should be 2 dollars and some change an hour, if that was the law and had been stapled to inflation or the CPI at that point it'd be about 15 an hour today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really genuinely wonder what my boss would do if I just straight up demanded a raise or I quit, because they'd be utterly, completely hosed if I did that, but I also know they're probably not willing to pay more than 8 dollars an hour for a dishwasher, despite what an insane disaster it is when anyone other than me is washing dishes. Every other place I've worked would rather go through the expense and headache of hiring and firing 15 different dishwashers at 7.25 an hour looking for one that'll do a good job for that much rather than pay a good one enough to not quit.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

If this is a 'deal' then I would really hate to see the regular rates.

Normally their apartments(none are furnished) go for well under a 1000.

These kids are getting hosed.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Minimum wage in San Francisco is $15/hr and google says a liveable wave for 1 adult is $19.63.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

What is a living wage where you are

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austinites-must-work-64-hours-to-pay-rent/1031471783

https://www.austintexas.gov/faq/what-citys-living-wage

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/04-06-17-salary-needed-to-live-comfortably-texas-gobankingrates/

http://canatx.org/dashboard/

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...Y3JpHyUoVz-UbEL

Officially it's around $11/hr. In reality it's closer to $15/hr (minimum) thought I am having difficulty digging up the local news report which actually did the math on that.

Austin has a pretty severe segregation problem and socioeconomic stratification problem. That community advancement network report is great reading. Sorry about the link blast.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 25, 2018

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

infiniteguest posted:

My philosophy contains these two elements, among others

2) Fat paychecks are awesome but don’t necessarily compensate for the long hours, late nights, weekends and holidays we all sacrifice to do this work. Working in an environment that is challenging, fulfilling, and provides a service you believe in is its own unit of payment.

posting from the past to say gently caress you

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Totally apropos of nothing being discussed right now, but episode 2 of my new favorite show, Blood Drive, has some boh humor in it that is totally making my night after a brutal Saturday shift. Helps that we just started grinding our sausage in house. Spoiler: keep those floors clean, guys. (Still not as horrifying as that Canadian PSA, tho)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Liquid Communism posted:

"The minimum wage, with all due respect, is a 1938 income support system for a workforce that worked in manufacturing and agriculture," said Cicely Simpson, executive vice president for public affairs at the National Restaurant Association, at a panel discussion last month. "In our workforce, we have people who drive an Uber during the day and work in restaurants at night. They have no desire to spend their entire career in an entire industry."

gently caress that guy

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

gently caress the NRA, both of them

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Quabzor posted:

I haven't looked into real numbers ever, but I'd assume you're part of the exception. Ours start at $8-9/hr, and we've got a deal with a local apartment complex. Four students in a 2 bedroom furnished with air mattresses and craigslist pieces, internet/cable not included. Only $400 a piece!

I’m super proud to work for people that value social justice, equity and sustainability. We’re about to turn 19 YEARS OLD and I have a RIDICULOUS number of our ~150 employees that have been with us for 15+ years, if not the whole time. We are also women-driven and run, incredibly diverse, are nearing 0% waste and pay people what they are worth. It’s possible to do so. Is $18 a living wage in SF in the long term? No. Is that wayyyyy above the level of general student interns who live in dorm-esque housing or with relatives? gently caress YEAH. And they’re awesome. We currently have around 14 J1 interns and I love them, they are also super stoked to be here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Call me crazy, but 'sustainable' and 'runs on labor sourced below market rates' don't seem to line up.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

If you're a single student living abroad for a year with roommate(s) it absolutely is.

So... No then

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Is $18 a living wage in SF in the long term? No.

That's too bad. Your employers ought to pay them more.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I’m super proud to work for people that value social justice, equity and sustainability. We’re about to turn 19 YEARS OLD and I have a RIDICULOUS number of our ~150 employees that have been with us for 15+ years, if not the whole time. We are also women-driven and run, incredibly diverse, are nearing 0% waste and pay people what they are worth. It’s possible to do so. Is $18 a living wage in SF in the long term? No. Is that wayyyyy above the level of general student interns who live in dorm-esque housing or with relatives? gently caress YEAH. And they’re awesome. We currently have around 14 J1 interns and I love them, they are also super stoked to be here.

I love this, I’m on your side, but calling $18 wayyyy above is rubbing me the wrong way - $15 is min wage. $18 is not wayyyy above that. Or are the interns unpaid?

I’m not trying to one up you or whatever by any means - our foh staff are mostly paid the min wage. Some prep heavy light tipped shifts earn more, but not much - like $.50 more.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Minimum wage is 7.25 here in Mississippi, and pretty much everyone I know that's my age both sells drugs and works 2 or 3 jobs, most of them in restaurants. And they're still permanently broke, sick, and one bad day away from homelessness, basically

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Minimum wage is 7.25 here in Mississippi, and pretty much everyone I know that's my age both sells drugs and works 2 or 3 jobs, most of them in restaurants. And they're still permanently broke, sick, and one bad day away from homelessness, basically

Minimum wage should be twice that nationally and significantly higher in places that are more expensive to live, instead it's twice that in places that are expensive.

Saying 11 bucks an hour is a liveable wage when you're importing your labor from overseas is kinda hosed up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

JawKnee posted:

What is a living wage where you are

poo poo I have no idea. What kind of life are we talking?

This place is expensive.

Once we get the farm up and running in Ohio any goon that wants to come stay in the guest house and pick some loving veggies and feed some animals will be welcome.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 25, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This place is expensive.

Once we get the farm up and running in Ohio any goon that wants to come stay in the guest house and pick some loving veggies and feed some animals will be welcome.

You realize that in a discussion about what a living wage is you're inviting people to work for room and board and nothing else, right?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This place is expensive.

http://livingwage.mit.edu

This is very useful for getting an idea of what cost of living looks like in various parts of the country.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
$18 for an internship via their trade school in a foreign country that elsewhere would be likely be unpaid entirely? With subsidized student housing? Please, someone show me evidence of someone paying more/ more equitably because I’m legit intrigued.

We’ve had three J1s get their visas sorted and either come back to work for us permanently or stay on post-internship, at which point their wages increase. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

E: SF min goes to $15 June 1st (maybe July 1st, I forget) on top of pretty extensive benefits. The cost of those benefits also drastically increases next year because the healthcare mandate repeals, meaning individual coverage costs go up. I think my personal benefits package is increasing in cost by like, 7k or some poo poo alone and I’m a healthy, non smoking woman in her early 30s. Most of our prep people/dishwashers/line cooks are in the $20-25 range.

E2: J1s are valuable to us because our skilled labor shortage is due to lack of affordable housing. People can’t afford to live within commuting distance unless they’ve already been in their housing for a long time, so that pool has dried up. Skilled people with housing often go work for Google et al cooking on their campuses because the pay is good. (Good on them, make your money dudettes.) They (J1s) have subsidized housing via their program, thus eliminating our major labor pool roadblock. It’s not really about “importing cheap labor,” it’s that the labor pool is tiny while new restaurants open practically every goddamned day. When I was still doing Michelin fine dining, people were still doing months of unpaid stages, which is terrible, but perhaps that’s coloring my impression of this being a good situation.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 25, 2018

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

JawKnee posted:

So... No then

Living wage in Austin for a single adult is $11.87, and it drops to $9 for 2 working adults, so yes then. Our J1s are fantastic people, getting paid very well as international students, and many will get sponsored for work visas, or be able to continue working at a Fairmont in their home country in a low level management position.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

The Maestro posted:

I love this, I’m on your side, but calling $18 wayyyy above is rubbing me the wrong way - $15 is min wage. $18 is not wayyyy above that. Or are the interns unpaid?

It's not way over min wage there, but I have to assume $18 is way over the national median wage for ANY culinary internships. The few people that I know who went to culinary school started and stayed well below that for a long time.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

. It’s not really about “importing cheap labor,” it’s that the labor pool is tiny while new restaurants open practically every goddamned day. When I was still doing Michelin fine dining, people were still doing months of unpaid stages, which is terrible, but perhaps that’s coloring my impression of this being a good situation.

Google pays more, and gets those applicants that are better. If a company doesn't want to do that and prefers to import cheaper labor, how is it not about importing cheap labor?

I have to point out about this 'living wage' stuff - the price of your housing and whatever might be different locally, but like, don't we all order poo poo from the same stores online? If you make 18 an hour, even if you spend 65% of it on living expenses, your remaining 35% is going to be way, way, way, way, way more than mine is at 8 dollars an hour. Not everything is priced differently locally, in fact most things really aren't.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 25, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Living wage in Austin for a single adult is $11.87, and it drops to $9 for 2 working adults, so yes then. Our J1s are fantastic people, getting paid very well as international students, and many will get sponsored for work visas, or be able to continue working at a Fairmont in their home country in a low level management position.

I'd like to discuss this a little bit more, but first I'd like to know where you're getting your numbers from. They're slightly higher than those at http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/48015, and I want to make sure we're talking about the same place here before I get into it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JawKnee posted:

I'd like to discuss this a little bit more, but first I'd like to know where you're getting your numbers from. They're slightly higher than those at http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/48015, and I want to make sure we're talking about the same place here before I get into it.

Austin is in Travis County. Don't ask, it doesn't make sense.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

You realize that in a discussion about what a living wage is you're inviting people to work for room and board and nothing else, right?

Oh no i meant as a vacation and relaxing spot not as a job. The work part was a poorly worded joke. Sorry. Although help would be appreciated if someone decided to stop by.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

I'd presume that he's going off of the figures the City of Austin released that I posted a page ago. $11/hr is certainly doable in Austin, but yes you're going to have at least two housemates and you'll be living hand to mouth. If you want to live alone, you'll need to be making considerably more especially if you want to live in anything that's not an efficiency. Which always makes it hilarious when Larry Ellison comes to town and jokes about how property prices are effectively free.

quote:

"We wanted to be in downtown Austin on the river and specifically I wanted to be in downtown Austin on the river because I thought it would be great to take my kayak out on the river at lunchtime. This is the kind of place I'd like to work," says Ellison.

Being this is Texas, Ellison didn't even flinch at the real estate cost of purchasing prime property in Austin. He said he purchased as much property he could in the span of 30 minutes.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/oracles-new-austin-campus-to-house-10000-employees/1074120388

Additionally, if you read back a page I posted a bunch of links from various news, state agencies, and local think tanks about socioeconomic issues in Travis County. However, this is all a digression from working in the resturaunt industry and this information is not applicable nationwide. However I think we can all agree that wages have stagnated, and a hypothetical baseline of $11/hr as "being enough" is hilariously misinformed even when applied to exploitative labor practices.

\\// Gotchya. I'm bad at posting.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 25, 2018

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I don't think I ever said $11 is enough, just that it was decent pay for an intern with zero experience.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The evening dishwasher at my restaurant needs to loving go. Every day when I come in, I find poo poo that wasn't cleaned properly and is put away like it was. Every day line cooks come back and show me poo poo that isn't right. Today was particularly, egregiously bad though. A pot hanging like it was clean with a straight up ring of grime on the inside. Third pans on the clean racks that had grease, obviously visible, on the outside AND inside. Bowls on the line with film and bits of poo poo on them. steamhats literally covered in grease on all sides put away on the line as if they were clean. Why take a job as a loving dishwasher if you're going to be such a fuckup about it?

I showed all of this to the owner, who works mornings with us every day since we've opened, as I have every time something's been wrong. Thing is, this is the 3rd loving evening dishwasher who's been this bad. I cannot allow a place that I wash dishes at to wind up being known as a place with dirty rear end disgusting dishes in the kitchen. I just loving can't. The person that was on last night isn't on till tomorrow night, so I asked if I could work a double tomorrow so that I could work with her and make sure this doesn't happen again. It'll put me in overtime, but the owner OK'd it and wants me to try and get her to do poo poo the right way, and correct this so we don't have to fire another person and hire another person.

Maybe I'm being too much of a tryhard here, I mean I'm getting paid poo poo to do a poo poo job, but I like this restaurant and job, and I take pride in what I do, and I can't help but hope that this type of poo poo eventually leads to me being promoted or given a raise or some poo poo down the line. At least these fuckups being fuckups repeatedly gives me the chance to dunk on them and show the management what I'm about. It feels good to be able to ask the owner for overtime for an issue like this and be told yes.

Before I left today I wrote on the prep whiteboard 'CLEAN DISHES BEFORE PUTTING THEM AWAY' in huge bold letters and underlined it. I feel like I am losing my god drat mind having to write some poo poo like that on the whiteboard, but here we are.

I need closure. Did the dishwasher unfuck themselves?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
$11/hr is livable in austin if you have roomates until literally Any One Thing goes wrong and then you find out where the half of homeless folk that weren't bussed in from the rest of texas come from and J1's have been explicitly used as a cudgel against me for demanding the princely sum of $14/hr

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 26, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
just in my neighborhood, within like a block of me, there are two J1's who got hosed over by compass group because some assurances didn't survive the managerial turnover in Q4 and the only reason it isn't a bigger deal is because ICE takes Latin doors and not South and East Asian doors.

it is a hosed up system that is to immigration what tipping is to wages.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

There's nothing fun about a fun run when you're donating four kegs of free beer and several gallons of free soup to a thousand entitled runners.

That is all.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Bussamove posted:

There's nothing fun about a fun run when you're donating four kegs of free beer and several gallons of free soup to a thousand entitled runners.

That is all.

But the goodwill garnered from the community and the name recognition though!!!

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

The Maestro posted:

But the goodwill garnered from the community and the name recognition though!!!

Rewarded with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

pseudosavior posted:

Rewarded with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Something we can all agree is worth more than money.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

especially since you can later eat your pride

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Even better when one of the owners was in complaining that labor was so high.

Motherfucker you gave them free food and free beer what exactly am I supposed to sell them?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
A J-1 is an academic exchange visa (but not a student visa, that’s an F-1). I was on a J-1 for three years as a postdoc. Why are restaurants allowed to use that visa category??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drgitlin posted:

A J-1 is an academic exchange visa (but not a student visa, that’s an F-1). I was on a J-1 for three years as a postdoc. Why are restaurants allowed to use that visa category??

Culinary school? Also it's totally a living wage as long as you don't plan to live here that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

drgitlin posted:

Because exploiting the visa system is profitable. Same way the IT industry runs on using H-1B visas to recruit from overseas (primarily India) at wages below what a US graduate with loans to repay can afford to take for a salary.