Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bought a can of Minerva sardines, bringing them home to enjoy, only to realize I still had another can lying around. I haven't had dines in so long I forgot I had any left over at all :(

Still haven't eaten them, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

So you have two delicious cans of sardines and you are upset, why?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Canned seafood question: I have an unopened can of crab meat in the fridge that's a couple of months expired. I figure things in cans last a long time, so it should still be good, right? Or at least if it's bad, I'll be able to tell from the smell when I open it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Male Tears posted:

Canned seafood question: I have an unopened can of crab meat in the fridge that's a couple of months expired. I figure things in cans last a long time, so it should still be good, right? Or at least if it's bad, I'll be able to tell from the smell when I open it?

Oh god canned crab is so bad...

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Some canned crab is okay. The stuff that is 50 bux a pound satisfies this Maryland expat in lieu of the real deal, for crabcakes anyway.

Yeah if it's bad you will be able to tell by the smell. My money would bet it is bad.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
Thank you for the hot dine tips, I picked up one of the boxes of KO Mediterranean's from Amazon and they arrived:

What treasures await.....

What a beautiful bounty

Straight from the tin into my mouth

My local store stopped carrying all KO flavors except for cracked pepper so looks like I'll be gettin my dines from Amazon from now on.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Wowzers, that's one :coolfish: post!

They even come in a glorious case. Save it and pass it down as a heirloom.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hot sauce on med dines? Too much flavor! Overload pzzzzzzzzzz-*zap*___________________

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
When we went to buy fresh lobster for surf and turf my wife lost me to the :krad: SARDINE SECTION IN THE FISH MARKET

Only four tiny tots (the best sardines) left. Good job sardine goons.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

My 12 tins of mackerel for 20 bux turned into 11 tins of mackerel for free and a very smelly amazon box.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

cenotaph posted:

My 12 tins of mackerel for 20 bux turned into 11 tins of mackerel for free and a very smelly amazon box.

nice

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Part 1 of my Amazon haul (the Mediterranean dines) arrived today. I'm not usually a plain-fish man, but it's been a long time since I had these and I ended up wolfing down two cans with nothing but balsamic and a couple of crackers. I slowed down enough towards the end of the last can to add some chopped tomato and more olives.

so damned good

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
next up, sardine puttanesca

https://www.foodiful.com.au/recipes/91746/sardine-puttanesca

tiny tots on the way :dance:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

naem posted:

So you have two delicious cans of sardines and you are upset, why?

I was simply worried that I had somehow grown too old for dines. Luckily, I had to stay up late working today and had nothing prepped to eat, but lo and behold, crisp bread and dines save the day/night.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Jikes posted:

next up, sardine puttanesca

https://www.foodiful.com.au/recipes/91746/sardine-puttanesca

tiny tots on the way :dance:
I would recommend supplementing the anchovies with sardines not replacing them.

Also needs capers and ditch the onion. And use a liberal amount of crushed red chilies instead too.

And you are gonna need more garlic. 2 cloves for 4 servings??? NO. :colbert:

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 21, 2018

naem
May 29, 2011

evilmiera posted:

I was simply worried that I had somehow grown too old for dines. Luckily, I had to stay up late working today and had nothing prepped to eat, but lo and behold, crisp bread and dines save the day/night.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Those are trouts...

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Feeling kinda peckish, so I head over to Park Kitchen here in Portland. Boquerones, castlevrtrano olives, potato chip, salsa verde aioli. Points off for serving it on a stone slab.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

got off work early bc of the snow so i made some sardine pasta stuff for lunch

i made some for the rats too (with mint bc they love mint)

yum

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Rats like sardines and mint?

Neat.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

evilmiera posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how you could be too old for sardines, the dadliest catch, without being restricted to a liquid/mush diet.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
A sad tale of a frustrated 'dine dad-

I came home early from work and intended to go paddle around our lake and eat a tin of dines but upon opening the cupboard I found NO SARDINES. Suspecting one of my 5 goddamn kids as the culprit I searched the house and found no one to yell at so I went to the lake anyway. There I found my 10 year old and one his buddies fishing using MY SARDINES AS BAIT. Of course they didn't catch anything and the last tin of my beloved Bela's was lying on the ground, looking empty and sad. They didn't even have the decency to eat any of them because "fish in cans are yucky". These boneheads have never cleaned a fish in their lives so I asked them how yucky they thought cutting one open would be. The response I got was "I was gonna make you do it since you like yucky fish". I wanted to be done with life right then and there :shepicide:

Now I am 'dine-less and I'm gonna have to start hiding them again. 3 of my kids like the dines but this little fucker apparently just likes to waste them. Anyone want to adopt a 'dine thief??

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Write him out of the will.

Or better yet, just disown him right now.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Android Apocalypse posted:

Feeling kinda peckish, so I head over to Park Kitchen here in Portland. Boquerones, castlevrtrano olives, potato chip, salsa verde aioli. Points off for serving it on a stone slab.

Which Portland?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Roki B posted:

When we went to buy fresh lobster for surf and turf my wife lost me to the :krad: SARDINE SECTION IN THE FISH MARKET

Only four tiny tots (the best sardines) left. Good job sardine goons.

rolands surprised me when i bought them. good fishes

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Roki B posted:

Which Portland?

Which Portland would you think would be pretentious enough to serve sardines on a stone slab?

Oregon

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Which Portland would you think would be pretentious enough to serve sardines on a stone slab?

Oregon

Ok I'm gonna check this place out

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
For real, it's Park Kitchen. Hope you enjoy it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Oregon

:spergin: Boquerones are fresh anchovies, boquerones en vinegre are pickled white anchovy fillets commonly served as tapas. :spergin:

They are delicious!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Saturday breakfast of smoked black pepper mackerel fillet mashed up with a couple of soft boiled eggs, on a piece of hot buttered wholemeal toast with a bit of rocket salad. A stinky but satisfying breakfast :coolfish:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 24, 2018

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
A good, healthy breakfast.

It sucks that I can't take dines to work for lunch, but no matter how I try to contain the scent, the co-workers complain.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Saturday breakfast of smoked black pepper mackerel fillet mashed up with a couple of soft boiled eggs, on a piece of hot buttered wholemeal toast with a bit of rocket salad. A stinky but satisfying breakfast :coolfish:

drat looks class af

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
King Oscar's tireless social media person just told me I have a gray XL T-shirt and a cap coming my way from two different recent promotions, hopefully with more free coupons too! They can go with my red AND black aprons, tote bag, and can cover.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Strangely, despite being a Swede, we have no real access to King Oscar here. We have Gustaf instead, tho only in tomato sauce. It is kind of mindboggling that the two different brands are apparently a thing, given how the Oscar in question was also a Swedish king.

What I am trying to say here is that I wish I had access to more cool dines locally. Especially since Gustaf is apparently made from sprats.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

evilmiera posted:

Strangely, despite being a Swede, we have no real access to King Oscar here. We have Gustaf instead, tho only in tomato sauce. It is kind of mindboggling that the two different brands are apparently a thing, given how the Oscar in question was also a Swedish king.

What I am trying to say here is that I wish I had access to more cool dines locally. Especially since Gustaf is apparently made from sprats.

You have hákarl and surströmming for your fish eating needs

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I like sprats! The Riga Gold smoked Latvian sprats might be the tastiest canned fishies I've ever had, aside from Cole's smoked rainbow trout.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Doesn't this thread mostly eat sprats? You're always posting pictures of KO Brisling.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Why isn't this presented on a paper plate over a sink :confused:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

and with a dirty screwdriver resting on a beercan instead of whatever that thing is near the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

Doesn't this thread mostly eat sprats? You're always posting pictures of KO Brisling.

It is just the stuffy Eurotrash in me implying that they aren't real dines and are therefore undeserving of being eaten.

(They are still delicious, I just wish we had more variety)