Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BioEnchanted posted:

Steven Universe and Rick and Morty are 2 sides of the same coin, direct opposites - one is a show about how being nice to everyone will save the world, one is a show about how lovely everyone is inherently, and both have heavily toxic idiots in their fanbase. Also down to dynamics, Morty is Steven in a universe where Garnet's unquestioning world view is the norm, and Steven is Morty in a universe where Rick actually listens to Morty's better nature. In this metaphor Garnet is Rick - the differences are that Garnet is much nicer than Rick although sharing flaws like thinking she knows everything when she doesn't and being initially cold to newcomers, and Morty is a horrible little pervert who initially shares Steven's naivety, and both become more wise about how the world really works as the shows go on and they see more of it.

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive-thru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Typical posted:

I wanted to edit this so you could all first hand see how the entire animation industry works. Its sort of the way of life out here in LA though. We prepare for for this sort of rocky employment though. I myself live a spartan life style, consuming only the essential things I need to survive, Sandwiches, Coffee, and gaming pc parts.

Let my tell you about my youtube channel friendo.

Actually I have pitched show Ideas to Nickelodeon before, but I'm not very good at coming up with kids material, and trying to figure out the networks hidden desires was a game I didn't really want to play. So I've kinda curbed the idea of making a broadcast media for now to focus on my short animations and youtube content.

I got tons of material and an entire season's worth of scripts for an aborted show but can't draw so I'm worth gently caress-all.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Steven Universe and Rick and Morty are 2 sides of the same coin, direct opposites - one is a show about how being nice to everyone will save the world, one is a show about how lovely everyone is inherently, and both have heavily toxic idiots in their fanbase.

I swear it must be the same toxic idiots who migrate from fanbase to fanbase and ruin everything. It's like you can see a clear progression of MLP - Homestuck - Undertale - SU - R&M of something getting popular, getting ruined by the fanbase then a migration on to the next obsession.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I mean, I happen to enjoy both, but manage to function in broader society.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

BioEnchanted posted:

You post on SA, so no, you don't.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

T-man posted:

:thurman:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
the secret is that terrible people unfortunately also happen to like things, and the best thing to do in every situation where they like the same thing you do is to ignore them and move on

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

T-man posted:

I said Broader society, not Fatter society. I never claimed to function here.

Although to distract from that weak retort - it would be an amusing gag for Drunk Rick to end up binging a fictionlised version of a modern children's cartoon only to get really into it to a weird level. Morty walks in and he's all

"IT'S GONNA HAPPEN MORTY! They're gonna unify the people after centuries of bullshit Morty! It's gonna be hard, but they're gonna do it! This ain't your product placement GI Joe cr*belch*ap Morty this is REAL POLITICS! I'ts loving Palestine all over again!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 24, 2018

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Can't you just watch whatever show you want to watch and not care about the fanbase? Since when did the quality of the fanbase become a factor for the enjoyment of a show?

There are people who are going to obsess over anything to an unhealthy degree, for whatever psychological reasons. Sometimes it's gonna be things you enjoy. That does not mean anything about you or the thing you enjoy. Keep enjoying the thing.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BioEnchanted posted:

I said Broader society, not Fatter society. I never claimed to function here.

Although to distract from that weak retort - it would be an amusing gag for Drunk Rick to end up binging a fictionlised version of a modern children's cartoon only to get really into it to a weird level. Morty walks in and he's all

"IT'S GONNA HAPPEN MORTY! They're gonna unify the people after centuries of bullshit Morty! It's gonna be hard, but they're gonna do it! This ain't your product placement GI Joe cr*belch*ap Morty this is REAL POLITICS! I'ts loving Palestine all over again!"

That or he portals to a world obsessed with a cartoon and tears into it for five minutes straight, then portals out... to a McDonalds and orders mcnuggets with that loving szechuan sauce.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

BioEnchanted posted:

It's almost ironic that he was such a turd considering if it weren't for a powerful woman he would be a nobody (Lucille Ball and her husband produced OG Star Trek through Desilu Studios. A lot of nerds ended up Loving Lucy and not knowing why :v:)

It's also shocking how frequently auteurs use the most despicable and authoritarian tactics to create the most democratic works of fictions.

Well, maybe not that shocking given the definition of auteur...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

I hope they cancel Rick and Morty and give all its budget to, say, that Mike Tyson Show or The Venture Bros. You know, shows that are also good but don't have screaming redditer fans.

Counterpoint, Rick and Morty doesn't star a convicted rapist

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Only because Justin Roiland hasn’t been convicted yet.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Only because Justin Roiland hasn’t been convicted yet.

Fair point.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Counterpoint, Rick and Morty doesn't star a convicted rapist

on the other hand, mike tyson actually served time for it and arguably genuinely did pay his debt to society. like, it makes me feel gross too, but there's at least an argument to be made that Adult Swim aren't being immoral dicks by giving him a job, it's a hairy issue and not just a black-and-white "gently caress this guy forever."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

on the other hand, mike tyson actually served time for it and arguably genuinely did pay his debt to society. like, it makes me feel gross too, but there's at least an argument to be made that Adult Swim aren't being immoral dicks by giving him a job, it's a hairy issue and not just a black-and-white "gently caress this guy forever."

Yeah. I guess I just lumped it in with Hollywood's tendency to give people chance after chance when they show no remorse or interest in changing. Tyson's a guy where he never really had a chance because of his upbringing, dude's trainer was the closest thing he ever really had to a dad.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah. I guess I just lumped it in with Hollywood's tendency to give people chance after chance when they show no remorse or interest in changing. Tyson's a guy where he never really had a chance because of his upbringing, dude's trainer was the closest thing he ever really had to a dad.

I didn't have a dad either and I never raped anyone.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mantis42 posted:

I hope they cancel Rick and Morty and give all its budget to, say...The Venture Bros.

now we're talking

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

are you similar to mike tyson in any other ways?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

socialsecurity posted:

do you also, like mike tyson, have significant brain damage from getting punched in the head over and over and over again

like, i think that's frankly more of a mitigating factor than the parent thing, it's a loving miracle the man's still capable of walking with how hosed his brain is

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He also went from being some random teenager to being told he was the greatest boxer in the world. That could mess up anyone.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
He also raped a lady

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

He also raped a lady

and was convicted and served his time and is now a beloved television personality and comedian

And Dan Harmon sexually harassed and emotionally abused and manipulated women in his staff to be miserable to the point that it traumatized them for years and then apologized and his victim accepted it

It’s almost like redemption is possible if people open up their mind to the possibility that lovely people doing lovely things and then genuinely feeling bad about them, but I guess that’s not the wokest and most progressive opinion (which is that lovely behavior tarnishes you forever and you’re just an rear end in a top hat until you die and there’s never anything else lol what an open-minded way to live)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s almost like redemption is possible

Nah

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

If we can give Bob Saget America's Funniest Home Videos even after he raped and killed a girl in 1990, I think we can give Tyson a chance.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yestermoment posted:

If we can give Bob Saget America's Funniest Home Videos even after he raped and killed a girl in 1990, I think we can give Tyson a chance.

I thought that was Glenn Beck.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rexides posted:

Can't you just watch whatever show you want to watch and not care about the fanbase? Since when did the quality of the fanbase become a factor for the enjoyment of a show?

There are people who are going to obsess over anything to an unhealthy degree, for whatever psychological reasons. Sometimes it's gonna be things you enjoy. That does not mean anything about you or the thing you enjoy. Keep enjoying the thing.

Some people cannot enjoy a thing unless both the fan base and the creators are good and unimpeachable by the morals of the day.

And some people never forgive, not even the tiniest misstep, let alone a super gross one.
:goonsay:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Then you never really understood in the first place, and are just using morality and ethics as fashion. The fan who ruins a popular thing, on a scale which actually matters.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Some people cannot enjoy a thing unless both the fan base and the creators are good and unimpeachable by the morals of the day.

Ehh, not the same thing. If someone told me that they dropped Rick & Morty after Ganz's revelations about Harmon, I could understand why. Not something I would do, but I could understand where that person's values lie.

But refusing to watch a show because of the fanbase is something I really, really can't wrap my head around. It's not the 1930s any more, if you want to watch an audiovisual work it's not your only option to go to the cinema and subject yourself to other fans.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wow, that's a really depressing thing to say. :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rexides posted:

Ehh, not the same thing. If someone told me that they dropped Rick & Morty after Ganz's revelations about Harmon, I could understand why. Not something I would do, but I could understand where that person's values lie.

But refusing to watch a show because of the fanbase is something I really, really can't wrap my head around. It's not the 1930s any more, if you want to watch an audiovisual work it's not your only option to go to the cinema and subject yourself to other fans.
It's weird that the 30s is your cutoff for that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“I can’t watch Rick & Morty because of the awful way Dan Harmon treated Megan Ganz!” I post on my iPhone made of cobalt and platinum mined from the earth by African slave orphans and cobbled together in a Chinese sweat shop...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nephthys posted:

I swear it must be the same toxic idiots who migrate from fanbase to fanbase and ruin everything. It's like you can see a clear progression of MLP - Homestuck - Undertale - SU - R&M of something getting popular, getting ruined by the fanbase then a migration on to the next obsession.

BioEnchanted posted:

T-man posted:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you let other people you don’t like enjoying something ruin your enjoyment of something... like not everyone who smokes weed is cool, not everyone who listens to music is cool, not everyone who enjoys cartoons is cool, it’s just the most pedantic way to live (and also tells people that the perception you give off regarding your media trends is more important to you than actually consuming the media you purport to enjoy, which means you probably only watched it because it was popular and not because you enjoyed it, u fuggin’ poser)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Takoluka posted:

I thought that was Glenn Beck.

It's a joke from the roast of Bob Saget. Gilbert Gottfried kept saying "even though Bob Saget raped and killed a girl in 1990" as part of his jokes. It was later appropriated to be used as a Glenn Beck joke. Much like how a bunch of the Bill Brasky jokes from SNL became Vin Diesel jokes and then became Chuck Norris jokes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Have you written your elected representatives to insist on mandatory life imprisonment for rapists?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

“I can’t watch Rick & Morty because of the awful way Dan Harmon treated Megan Ganz!” I post on my iPhone made of cobalt and platinum mined from the earth by African slave orphans and cobbled together in a Chinese sweat shop...

It's true, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, good point

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

People need to think they're good on the inside so picking something that's easy to do passively that's ethical is a good way for someone who is otherwise completely compromised feel alrightabout themselves

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

basic hitler posted:

People need to think they're good on the inside so picking something that's easy to do passively that's ethical is a good way for someone who is otherwise completely compromised feel alrightabout themselves

All this needs is a burp and a Morty and it becomes a Rick quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yestermoment posted:

This post might be a joke, but he didn't.

"Based on a joke originally used by comedian Gilbert Gottfried at a 2008 comedy roast of Bob Saget, where Gottfried jokingly implored listeners to disregard the (non-existent) rumor that his fellow comedian raped and murdered a girl in 1990. I"

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Beck_v._Eiland-Hall

Also I would be amazed if Rick and Morty were actually cancelled. Pretty sure some friends in Vancouver are actively animating on the next season.