Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I downloaded some stuff.

Also there's a Ubisoft sale on Steam right now and Eagle Flight and Star Trek: Bridge Crew are both 60% off. Are they worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I enjoy bridge crew because I have alcohol and friends to play with. If you don’t then skip it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sex Robot posted:

Elven Assasin is fun. My arm is tired.

I gotta try this. The bow and arrow castle defense game in The Lab was awesome. VR is very well suited for archery.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PenisMonkey posted:

I enjoy bridge crew because I have alcohol and friends to play with. If you don’t then skip it.

100% agreed. If you have one or more friends who already have the game or who you could convince to get it, I strongly recommend it. Getting drunk/stoned and yelling Star Trek quotes at your friends in full Shatner mode is great fun and well worth $20.

If you're the type to play with pubs, YMMV of course. I have no idea because I don't play with pubs, but I hear the population isn't great so matchmaking may be less than ideal.

If you'd be playing alone with the AI, it's borderline even at that price IMO. The campaign is pretty short and beyond that you just have randomized missions with your choice of two ships.

The classic ship sucks if you're trying to actually win because nothing is well labeled. The classic ship is hilarious if you're just loving off because nothing is well labeled.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
The upcoming Pavlov update is going to have substantially refined gun simulation, just in time to be showcased by the new Kar98k.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

AndrewP posted:

I gotta try this. The bow and arrow castle defense game in The Lab was awesome. VR is very well suited for archery.

That was what drew me. It's as clunky as early access gets. But the bow mechanics are solid and the devs look like a responsible bunch.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
In Death is a pretty good archery roguelike as well

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Is there any way to set some kind of tilt to the Vive? I want to play Elite leaning back in a chair (gently caress yes) but can't find a way to do this. I've checked Open VR settings but haven't found it there.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Just hit the recenter view button

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

PenisMonkey posted:

Just hit the recenter view button
That only recenters horizontally, it doesn't seem to have an effect on your neck's tilt.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
It sure does. Make sure you have it bound in the control menu. If I recall it’s not bound by default. HMD recenter or something. I know this because I played ED with my rift and would change positions quite often.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

PenisMonkey posted:

It sure does. Make sure you have it bound in the control menu. If I recall it’s not bound by default. HMD recenter or something. I know this because I played ED with my rift and would change positions quite often.
Maybe it's a Vive thing? I definitely have 'r' rebound and it centers on the horizontal plane, but always with the horizon exactly at the real horizon level.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Seems it’s called Reset HMD Orientation. If that’s what you’re using then yeah maybe a vive thing but that’d be pretty odd.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

PenisMonkey posted:

Seems it’s called Reset HMD Orientation. If that’s what you’re using then yeah maybe a vive thing but that’d be pretty odd.
Yeah that's the exact configuration item I'm using. Lame!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Drop another $800 and get the pro I bet that’ll work.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The vast majority of games, Elite included, do not change the up direction when recentering the view. Which makes sense, because most people do not naturally stand or sit with their headset 100% level and you generally want the gravity direction in VR to match the gravity direction in the real world.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Ah I see. I get what he’s asking now.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

NRVNQSR posted:

The vast majority of games, Elite included, do not change the up direction when recentering the view. Which makes sense, because most people do not naturally stand or sit with their headset 100% level and you generally want the gravity direction in VR to match the gravity direction in the real world.
Yeah that makes sense, but it'd be nice to override it :)

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah that makes sense, but it'd be nice to override it :)
Maybe ask the OpenVR advanced settings guy to make an option for rotating your playspace? I bet it wouldn't be hard to implement since he's already got options to translate it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ralith posted:

Maybe ask the OpenVR advanced settings guy to make an option for rotating your playspace? I bet it wouldn't be hard to implement since he's already got options to translate it.

He has and it’s called OpenVR Input Emulator, you can tweak a poo poo ton of settings for HMD or controllers, and then once you are happy with it, save it to a profile.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

rage-saq posted:

He has and it’s called OpenVR Input Emulator, you can tweak a poo poo ton of settings for HMD or controllers, and then once you are happy with it, save it to a profile.
OpenVR Input Emulator can tilt your playspace along a horizontal axis, such that the floor is no longer flat?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well uh... sure didn't take long for someone to make a VR version of Sea of Thieves A Completely Unique and Original Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvX3O1SrJPc

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ralith posted:

OpenVR Input Emulator can tilt your playspace along a horizontal axis, such that the floor is no longer flat?

You can adjust any openVR device (hmd, controllers) in a ton of different ways which includes all 6 DOF in 3 different relations. I use it to move my controller 1.5' to the left on Z to get my favorite guns lined up perfectly in stand out without having to adjust the left/right rotation on my protube, and like loving 6' left on Z to get the guns to line up in payday2.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
HBO appears to be releasing a Job Simulator-style VR promo game for Silicon Valley... and it actually looks kind of funny/good?

Tom Guycot posted:

Well uh... sure didn't take long for someone to make a VR version of Sea of Thieves A Completely Unique and Original Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvX3O1SrJPc
This looks pretty cool! Great that someone's doing it too, SoT looks so drat perfect for VR.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 25, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

A little less interested now to see their teaser video is basically just showing off this asset store pack they bought, and literally nothing more.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Still really want someone to port the Thief games to VR. Guess the assets might look even shittier than normal nowadays though, I think a bunch of stuff is 2d like buildings on the city skyline. Otherwise it could be super atmospheric, especially with that soundtrack.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I know it's been talked about before, so sorry about that, but how's Obduction (both in general and the VR implementation). I just noticed its on the Humble Bundle.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sea of Thieves drat near makes me seasick playing on a monitor. Not sure I could handle it in VR.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Boxman posted:

I know it's been talked about before, so sorry about that, but how's Obduction (both in general and the VR implementation). I just noticed its on the Humble Bundle.
I enjoyed it, though the story is pretty obtuse unless you read journal entries. Movement is either thumbstick or teleport. Controllers used to grab and push buttons but that's pretty much the gameplay without vr as well. The puzzles aren't redic hard and it's mostly walking which is good for being in VR.

vvv I have a super minspec i7-2500k and a gtx 970 and it ran fine on my rift. The patch that added in touch support added a whole mess of performance improvements, it runs fine now.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 25, 2018

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Boxman posted:

Watch out for performance issues. I can't run it smoothly on a 1080gtx, though some people can. Best to buy from somewhere you can get a refund if it doesn't work properly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I haven't played it since they first implemented VR that had no motion controls. The experience was consistently low FPS to the point that it made my eyes hurt and I had to stop and play it on a monitor.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They've done a couple performance patches since then, it runs okay on my 970 now

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I have a super minspec i7-2600k and a gtx 970 and a rift. The patch that added in touch support added a whole mess of performance improvements and fixed the delayed rendering flickering. It runs fine now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

El Grillo posted:

HBO appears to be releasing a Job Simulator-style VR promo game for Silicon Valley... and it actually looks kind of funny/good?

Holy poo poo, it's a thing that's on Viveport...

Now to decide whether it's worth going through setting that up and signing up for HTC's own walled garden just for what'll presumably be a half hour or so one-play experience.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Mirelurk Queens and Deathclaws are horrifying in VR, goddamn. Had a run-in with a deathclaw and my armaments are woeful to say the least so I fled (after leaving Dogmeat behind to get carved up - I'm sorry, boy :smith:), rounded a corner and there was a boardwalk full of bandits. Before they could open fire on me I leapt off the boardwalk, hid under it and then listened to the sounds of one fuckoff angry Deathclaw fighting a legion of bandits while staring up through the slats. Gotta admit, the bandits put up a real good fight. Other than an attack dog there were no casualties, just one dude in a wrecked suit of power armour clinging to life.

Once I got rid of them all I went near the shoreline and a Mirelurk Queen crawled out of the ocean. They're real big on the flatscreen but you are just dwarfed by them in VR, I ran up to it to pointlessly try to bash it with my shishkebab and almost got a crick in my neck for all the time I had to stare up at it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Bhodi posted:

Movement is either thumbstick or teleport. Controllers used to grab and push buttons but that's pretty much the gameplay without vr as well. The puzzles aren't redic hard and it's mostly walking which is good for being in VR.

vvv I have a super minspec i7-2500k and a gtx 970 and it ran fine on my rift. The patch that added in touch support added a whole mess of performance improvements, it runs fine now.
Isn't it steer-with-your-face thumbstick, though? That absolutely isn't the same thing as true controller-directed smooth locomotion.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ralith posted:

Isn't it steer-with-your-face thumbstick, though? That absolutely isn't the same thing as true controller-directed smooth locomotion.
It's a question of whether it uses the direction you're looking or the direction you're pointing the controller as it's forward and then you strafe left and right from that angle.

Gorn for example allows you to choose which to prefer to use as forward, and i don't think there's any "right" way to do it. I definitely would not characterize one way as the "true" way. I'm fine with either, myself. Since some games are one or another, i don't even notice after 5 minutes.

I played the game with teleport most of the time because i find it more comfortable. I don't even remember which obduction used.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 26, 2018

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Windlands has steer-with-your-face and drove me nuts because it has both huge, beautiful environments and tons of jumping/balance puzzles, meaning there was a ton of stuff to look at as you went around doing stuff, but every time you tried to do so you fell to your death. That pretty well soured me on the whole concept.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Windlands was also the game that tried to have some anti nausea cage around the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Windlands left a sour taste in my mouth. I wanted to be spiderman and they made my hook unable to attach to most objects. Way too much running around or hanging off the side of a tree and not nearly enough cool travel.

To be fair, it was one of the first VR games. Still, I have no interest in ever revisiting it, unlike say, climbey which I still load up now and again.