Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Detailing goons, last time I detailed a car was like 10 years ago and I used Meguiars DACP, Swirl Remover, and Carnauba wax to bring a heavily finely-scratched (had been washed with a bucket of water and terry towel cloth with no hose down first after a dust storm by a well-meaning relative) dark metallic blue car to a mirror finish. I bought a PC 2494 or whatever from the US with a mate and had it shipped to Aus so we could detail our cars well.

I now have a black car (FML) and it has the usual cobwebbing from a PO who doesn’t know how to wash a car, and holograms from a dealership having some idiot polish the car before I bought it, presumably. What are the products to get these days assuming I shouldn’t just buy more of the same Meguiars products, and what pads would you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Scott808 posted:

That line looks like clearcoat failure and the only real way to fix it is a repaint.

Yeah, looks like clear coat failure.

always be closing posted:

I doubt you can burn through the paint with a random orbit and ultimate compound.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah, get a paint thickness gauge.

No need, I can see grey in some spots. That is, the white paint in some spots is so thin it's translucent and I see primer. It's mainly the bonnet, and roof ridge line. I swear it wasn't that bad when I got it and I haven't even used a buffer or compound on it, just mild polishing by hand.
I guess I'll just have to either at least respray the bonnet eventually or buy a s/h bonnet from a wrecking e34.

Boot/trunk lid, sides and most of the roof aren't so thin, so nothing major like a full respray required. I'll just be extra careful around ridgelines on the roof and never use a buffer, rubbing compound or any harsh polish on it. E: plus keep it clean and use just a spray on sealant/wax
bonnet ridge

roof ridge

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 22, 2018

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I have a shameful request. I bought a largish SUV to haul the kids around in and need a handled brush suitable to wash the thing without scratching it while also not taking an hour to wash it. Also, what would be a recommendation for removing tar thats stuck to the lower sills of the vehicle?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Arson Daily posted:

I have a shameful request. I bought a largish SUV to haul the kids around in and need a handled brush suitable to wash the thing without scratching it while also not taking an hour to wash it. Also, what would be a recommendation for removing tar thats stuck to the lower sills of the vehicle?

https://www.autogeek.net/boar-s-hair.html

Never used them myself, but there's a guy on Autopia who used to talk about them. From what I remember he used to use a Foamaster to flood the area with soapy water as he "jiggled" his way across the panel. I think the theory being that small, short strokes would have less of a chance of leaving a big, long scratch if the brush happened to catch some nasty particle and the constant flood of soap water would flush dirt away.

Stoner Tarminator (or similar) for tar.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is everyone's favourite leather cleaner? Zymol? I've been using the Mothers one on my BMW seats and it's OK but I feel like there might be a better one.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm a huge fan of leatherique (sp?) two part system, it's seriously fantastic for cleaning and conditioning. Makes the leather smell pretty nice.

A little on the pricey side but worth it I think.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I finally picked up some 303, are there any surfaces I shouldn’t use this on? Sounds like magical spray that works everywhere from what I’ve heard/read.

Worth putting on leather seats once they have been cleaned?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I make every effort not to get it on the windows.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there a cheat sheet of what soap/wax/etc I should buy for keeping a car shiny? I just got a new car that's mostly for weekend/summer driving and want to start good habits. Is the info in the OP still up to date?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Detailing goons, last time I detailed a car was like 10 years ago and I used Meguiars DACP, Swirl Remover, and Carnauba wax to bring a heavily finely-scratched (had been washed with a bucket of water and terry towel cloth with no hose down first after a dust storm by a well-meaning relative) dark metallic blue car to a mirror finish. I bought a PC 2494 or whatever from the US with a mate and had it shipped to Aus so we could detail our cars well.

I now have a black car (FML) and it has the usual cobwebbing from a PO who doesn’t know how to wash a car, and holograms from a dealership having some idiot polish the car before I bought it, presumably. What are the products to get these days assuming I shouldn’t just buy more of the same Meguiars products, and what pads would you recommend?

Anybody?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Bajaha posted:

I'm a huge fan of leatherique (sp?) two part system, it's seriously fantastic for cleaning and conditioning. Makes the leather smell pretty nice.

A little on the pricey side but worth it I think.

I concur. The stuff is magic and worth the money.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Meguiars stuff is still good for polishing and getting the swirls out. Final wax has left carnauba land and gone more towards more hydrophobic coatings, see the Cquartz review a page or so back.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:byodood:

Ordered the black polish, still waiting on it. Currently either someone has stolen the package off my porch or USPS decided to list my stuff as delivered then took it themselves.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Power washers, electric vs gas: go!

(want to get one for general use at home, anybody find one that's a good compromise?)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Gas gives the best in terms of pressure. Higher end electrics are probably what I would recommend for light house work and general car washing.

Not sure if it's all gas ones or just the crappy ones I've been exposed to but for me they shutoff if you release the trigger so you pretty much keep that sucker going or else you'll get annoyed at all the constant stops and restarts of the gas motor.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have owned a few, the electric ones aren’t much better than a hose, the cheap gas ones with rotary pumps don’t last, the expensive gas ones with a name brand pump (cat, general) are good. You get what you pay for.

My current one has at least 1,000 hours on it, has a Honda GX390 engine and a 4,000psi 4gpm general pump. Its a bit overkill for cars but it sure does get the mud off my tractor.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

That's kind of what I'd been thinking. I used a gas washer last summer for fence/concrete and it was great - it was a karcher 2400 psi, I think. Guess I'll save up a bit more for a gas model.

And a rotary polisher. And pads, and ceramic coating, and...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

a mysterious cloak posted:

That's kind of what I'd been thinking. I used a gas washer last summer for fence/concrete and it was great - it was a karcher 2400 psi, I think. Guess I'll save up a bit more for a gas model.

The money spent on detailing never ends.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

a mysterious cloak posted:

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Busted my rear end for about 8 hours today between two cars. Just a maintenance wash for my ISF, but it was the first time using ONR which was a weird experience.

The brunt of the day was my wife’s Outback. It’s white, she parks it outside even though she has a spot in the garage, and she drives over 40 miles a day during the week. In addition to ONR I used Ammo Hydrate and skin on the paint, as well as mud on tires and the miles of trim.

Lastly, I bought Gyeon View while DetailedImage was having a sale. I’ve been wanting something to coat the windows on my car since I hate the windshield washer speeds. Unfortunately this kit is only for one windshield and 2 windows, which I didn’t figure out until I was applying to my wife’s car.

It’s applied with a ‘cleaner’ and a bottle of repel that gets applied after. I had a hard time buffing off the excess, not sure if that’s on me or the product. Have to let it sit before getting wet, so we will see how it holds up.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

savesthedayrocks posted:

It’s applied with a ‘cleaner’ and a bottle of repel that gets applied after. I had a hard time buffing off the excess, not sure if that’s on me or the product. Have to let it sit before getting wet, so we will see how it holds up.

I also found the residue of Gyeon View difficult to buff off. It required dozens of passes with multiple folded microfibers, significant pressure, and many localised spot buffs to get the glass perfect (and that was just the windscreen). The product works very well, but I'm not sure I would do it again.

However, my windscreen wipers now skip and chirp across the glass surface after a few minutes of running in continuous rain. The skipping goes away when I give it a blast of washer fluid (lubrication), but inevitably returns as the rain 'cleans' the glass/coating. The car is a VW Golf, and one of the steps in the Technical Service Bulletin for skipping wipers is to ensure the car has no nano coating, so I guess it's a known issue. Golf wipers kind of suck though.

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 1, 2018

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Yeah the instructions said to apply some to the wipers as well, but honestly I couldn’t tell if the wipers accepted it so guess I’ll find out when she uses them.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Help, I'm a loving idiot and scratched my sunroof panel to bare metal when replacing it and am bad at painting things. I have matched paint (it's an '82 so it's not perfect), but I'll need a primer, some clear and....how many different kinds of sand paper? Online guides are nice but...

Honestly I should just take it somewhere and give them the matched paint, shouldn't I?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Naw gently caress it it's easy, 180 then primer then 400 then base and clear then buff it a week later.

If the primer doesn't fill the 180 scratch, do a step up I'm between. Youre just looking to level out the scratch and clean the metal, then smooth the primer and shoot on top of that.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Now that everyone is using these new ceramic coatings, is there a recommended one that isn't ridiculously expensive?

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Random product recommendation.
I can't speak to it's long term effectiveness but I just picked up some NAPA protectant.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCR4316
I find it has a similar finish to 303 marine protectant. Gloss but it soaks/rubs in and doesn't leave a wet finish. 303 can be hard to come by and Amazon wants 15 bucks for the 303...

I don't know that the new plastics in cars need pricey protectants but I like the look from their use...

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

MomJeans420 posted:

Now that everyone is using these new ceramic coatings, is there a recommended one that isn't ridiculously expensive?
McKee's 37 is pretty cheap and as easy to apply as can be. Spray on, even out, wipe off. They only disadvantage to a normal sealant is that you have to keep the car dry for 24 hours after application.

Results are pretty decent for a $40 product.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TheGoatTrick posted:

McKee's 37 is pretty cheap and as easy to apply as can be. Spray on, even out, wipe off. They only disadvantage to a normal sealant is that you have to keep the car dry for 24 hours after application.

Results are pretty decent for a $40 product.

Does it last any longer than a normal sealant? I've heard claims but would rather hear first hand instead of marketing bs.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Does it last any longer than a normal sealant? I've heard claims but would rather hear first hand instead of marketing bs.
I did it at the end of last year. Washed the car for the first time today- it's my sisters and is parked outside. It hasn't been too long but it's holding up very well.

Even if it only lasts as long as a normal sealant, you still get the benefits of a coating. It's easy to spot clean and you can drive off in a wet (not necessarily clean) car and have it clean and dry after a few minutes.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I used Adam’s Polishes coating on my Sierra and it was pretty easy to put on and held up well. I have enough left to do my Grand Cherokee SRT but haven’t had time to do it yet.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

TheGoatTrick posted:

I did it at the end of last year. Washed the car for the first time today- it's my sisters and is parked outside. It hasn't been too long but it's holding up very well.

Even if it only lasts as long as a normal sealant, you still get the benefits of a coating. It's easy to spot clean and you can drive off in a wet (not necessarily clean) car and have it clean and dry after a few minutes.

Do you wax over the sealant? It's outside my normal compound/polish/wax routine so help me understand how this stuff works...

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

TacoHavoc posted:

Do you wax over the sealant? It's outside my normal compound/polish/wax routine so help me understand how this stuff works...
Ceramic coatings create a glass-like layer on top of the paint. In general, these coatings are:

- Hydrophobic, which means you can drive off with a wet car and it'll be dry quickly, much more so than with a regular sealant or wax. Water beads up and falls off the car, taking any dust/dirt with it. If your car lives outside and is wet when you drive off in the morning, it stays fairly clean on its own. Also, since nothing really sticks to the paint, most water spots and grease can be removed with just a high pressure rinse and no soap or scrubbing.
- Swirl resistant, due to being harder than clearcoat. Some coatings are harder than others. At the very least, the ability to keep your car clean without using a sponge or drying (due to above) will help with reducing swirls.
- Easy to spot clean; bird crap, etc. doesn't stick to coatings as much as it does to paint.

You can put wax over a coating if you want, but you'll lose the hydrophobic and easy-to-clean properties.

There's a good overall explanation here. Also, my previous posts:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&pagenumber=63&perpage=40#post474020997
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=68#post479176308

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TheGoatTrick posted:

Maybe I'm cynical but sealant seems to be similar but only lasts for a few months here. If this actually will last a year or two then it may be worth doing for me.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Maybe I'm cynical but sealant seems to be similar but only lasts for a few months here.
It is significantly better at everything compared to a sealant and should last a lot longer. I'm coming up on a year on a couple of applications and everything is holding up well.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sweet, I'm going to give them a try. Of course that means I really should polish the car first, which means I need to thoroughly clean it, so I'll probably buy a bottle and just let it sit in my garage for a year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are people in apartments out of luck for hand washing their own cars? I’m moving from a house to an apartment with an underground garage in a week and I suppose if I parked over a drain, I would try to wash using a couple buckets of water. I don’t like the idea of wasting all the supplies I bought just last June and I’m definitely not paying $30 for a place to hand wash a 2008 Prius.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 18, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've done it with optimum no rinse and a bucket or two of water, as long as the car isn't completely filthy when you start it's not too bad. The bigger issue is going to be someone complaining / the manager noticing, if they live on site.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I washed my car last week with a bucket of water/ONR and an iK sprayer. Worked surprisingly well, but like was said above if it’s muddy it may require a trip to a coin op.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I might just be drinking the kool aid but Ammo's new rinseless wash setup looks promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxRPQLh_zA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How long does a bottle of ONR last? It's $20 on Amazon which is like 10 washes at a self serve. though the closest of those to me will be 6 miles away.