Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've given up and bought £50 of perspex on clearance. They tend not to chew plastic so I think I can get away with zipties to hold it on. Try climbing sheer plastic, ya bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

This might be the best rat picture ever.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sorry to bring the mood down, especially after such a cute picture, but I had to say goodbye to one of my babies today.

Her name was Chill. She was very very sweet and always licked my fingers when I put my hands in the cage (without a treat.) This is the first rat I've ever lost, but she's survived by her three sisters.

I got home at about 2AM Saturday and went to give my girls treats, when I noticed she didn't come to the cage wall. She had been dealing with some respiratory issues, and had taken a two week course of antibiotics. She'd stopped coughing, her lungs sounded good, and she was eating and drinking really well, she was getting better, or so I thought. When I found her in the cage, she was nestled in some blankets, and when I picked her up, I was shocked at how cold and limp she was. She was barely breathing, could hardly balance in my hands, and was struggling to keep her eyes open. I'd read online about rats' final hours, and I knew it was probably too late to do anything. Still, I didn't want her to suffer, so I packed her up and took her to the emergency vet.

This is her on a heating pad in the final hour of her life. She was a lab rescue, and I know she lived a much better life with me than she would've gotten otherwise. She was taken too soon, though. She only lived to be about 18 months. When I was filling out the last of the paperwork and spending a few quiet moments with her, she leaned into my hand in a way she's never done before. I know that she was probably just feeling for warmth, but part of me thinks that she may have been saying goodbye to me just as I was saying goodbye to her. I'm happy I had the opportunity to care for her, and to be there when she passed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

;_;

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

My condolences. Losing your first rat is always extremely hard.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Any recommendations for nebulising your rats? Here's my constraints:

- One rat needs nebbing couple of times a day, but it's OK if others get it too
- They're young so they don't like leaving their safe territory, namely the cage and my desk.
- He panics a lot if I close him in a small box
- He sort-of tolerates me pointing the nebuliser output at him in the cage but will back away from it due to I think the force of the air and I don't know how effective it is in that approach anyway

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Maybe try putting him in a box with treats a few times a day? He might still be antsy, but if you can get to the point where he's willing to stop freaking out and munch on something, that should be pretty good. Even if the freakout resumes as soon as the food is gone.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my silly rat crew gangtag is available if anyone wants it! :v:

my girls had their first outing (in a 'small' dog carrier, at my parents' place for the day bc they were doing pest control poo poo at our apartment) and they did extremely well, they're not afraid of the carrier despite all of that excitement and i'm very proud of them

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

At the risk of revealing my ignorance of the workings of this forum, how does one go about getting a gang tag?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

you rebuy your avatar but add the image in the text box, in img tags, and it should show up :)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Snoo posted:

you rebuy your avatar but add the image in the text box, in img tags, and it should show up :)

Yah. It says img tags don't work but they do if the image is on SA already, which the gang tags are. This is how people have double-height avatars, by buying the lower half as an avatar, then the upper half and putting the URL for the previous one in an img tag. Phew!

Definitely going to be adding the ratties when I next reup.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

whoop yeah i should've mentioned the hosted-on-SA thing!!

:toot:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Might as well give Lowtax some more dosh.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:kimchi:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I did it, I did the thing.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think I had my last avatar for about a decade, so why not take this excuse to change it up a bit

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think it worked? Added as well, even though I don't have rats anymore.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

One of my rats boggled at me for the first time today :3:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yah. It says img tags don't work but they do if the image is on SA already, which the gang tags are. This is how people have double-height avatars, by buying the lower half as an avatar, then the upper half and putting the URL for the previous one in an img tag. Phew!

Definitely going to be adding the ratties when I next reup.

Thanks, next time I've got :10bux: to spare I'll definitely be adding the rat gang tag.

Jaded Burnout posted:

One of my rats boggled at me for the first time today :3:

:allears:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Falstaff posted:

Thanks, next time I've got :10bux: to spare I'll definitely be adding the rat gang tag.

It's :5bux: for your own avatar but I acknowledge that often doesn't make much difference.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just gave my rats their first nail clipping. Was also the moment I decided some tough love was required re: being picked up and held. They'd been coming round to it gradually but they were accidentally scratching the hell out of me, something had to be done.

They got over it surprisingly quickly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Geez, I wouldn't have dared to try clipping my rats nails.
They got anxious and scratchy enough the couple of times I had to give them a bath.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

If you want to cut down on nail trimming, try putting a couple rocks or bricks in their cage in well-traveled places (such as in front of the water bottle.) It will help them wear their own nails down.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Geez, I wouldn't have dared to try clipping my rats nails.
They got anxious and scratchy enough the couple of times I had to give them a bath.

Yeah they weren't exactly happy about it but with some patience and persistence we got it done.

Falstaff posted:

If you want to cut down on nail trimming, try putting a couple rocks or bricks in their cage in well-traveled places (such as in front of the water bottle.) It will help them wear their own nails down.

Yeah I've had my eye out for similar things but tbh this is the first time in a couple of months and only took a few minutes.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Look for lava ledges on Amazon, they work for nails and inscisors

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
Old pumice stones also work pretty well as long as you clean them first.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Look for lava ledges on Amazon, they work for nails and inscisors

Lava ledges work really well but if your rats are chewers like mine were, you'll be replacing it in a few months as they chew it down to nothing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've seen them, yeah. They already have a chew cube thing that they chomp on to keep their teeth in check, and I imagine it's working on their front paws too, it's the back that are troublesome.

If the opportunity presents itself for wearing them down I'll go for it, but tbh cutting their nails for 5 minutes every 2 months isn't exactly a hardship.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

What, in your opinion, is the cutest rat behavior?

My favorite is when my girls already have a mouth full of food, but still try to shovel even more food into their maws, even resorting to using their front paws.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

sometimes they clean their ears but they just kinda stick their whole foot in there and do it extremely slowly compared to a regular scratch and it's really cute imo

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

One of my last rats was super snuggly; when she wanted cuddles she'd stretch her body out in front of you and mostly-close her eyes, and it made my heart melt every single time.

A close runner up is the hopping gait they adopt when they're feeling playful, particularly when they're bouncing around your hand trying to get you to wrestle with them.

Honorable mention is when they get hiccups. That's pretty rare, though, in my experience - only seen it twice, and the second time was more heartbreaking than cute.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

their little happy run is really good, :agreed:

I like when they steal a food that's too big for them and they try to run off with it and have to hop because it touches the ground otherwise

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Face grooming, or hand holding.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also when several of them make a sleepy rat pile on top of your hand.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Snoo posted:

I like when they steal a food that's too big for them and they try to run off with it and have to hop because it touches the ground otherwise

This but the version where they pick up something large and have to do this strut where they lift their head up and stretch out their front legs so it doesn't touch the ground. Seeing them do this while trying to steal something is adorable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I love it when they sit down on their butt too.

Already inherently chunky rats turn into adorable blobs. :3:

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
When they're sleeping on their faces and you go to say hello, they wake up and unfurl, assess you as a non threat, then curl back up into an even tighter ball back on their face. Love it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Your rats are all much cuter in behaviour than mine, which are still a few months old, and do everything except sleeping at full sprint with fear turned up to 9

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Apparently today is the...

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/world-rat-day/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

god bless