Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am somehow even less confident about the RPO movie now :smithicide: As far as I can tell, there is a supposed 'optimal solution' for each level, but the randomized physics and controls (at least, that's how it seemed to me) make it so that even if you pick the intended solution, you can still screw up.

Basically, Steven Spielberg made Bad Rats Jenga.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

SelenicMartian posted:

A Steven Spielberg game. Why?

1. A historical epic.

Wasn't this something Spielberg was upset by, because it didn't resemble the original idea he had anymore?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The multiplayer Boom Blox was quite fun at parties, at least.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've got both Boom Blox and the sequel, Bash Party. Only ever used them for groups, didn't know there was a single player. They're great.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The sequel uses the same engine for match-3 puzzles. You throw paint balls. You have no way of knowing how poo poo will fall in more complex setups. The scoring system wants chains of matches.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I feel like there was supposed to be game design here somewhere

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The first chapter's rhymes were uninspired, but now we're getting into the realm of Vogon poetry.

2. An animal abuse drama.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can just feel the Spielberg oozing off of that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The cutscene aspect ratio is weird in this one. A movie homage, I guess.

3. A Wild West adventure.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Didn't see anybody complain about the first thing I posted, so... Image for the full video.

Card Crawl (https://youtu.be/cCgOAyU40nw?t=266) is a neat port of an iOS game that I had no idea about.

REPTILOIDS (https://youtu.be/cCgOAyU40nw?t=1049) is some Steam trash that I fell for.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Antistasi 11

Remember when there was side missions in this mod?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

4. A Halloween horror.

Guess how many people voiced Boom Blox.

EA had a layer named Sue Garfield, apparently.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I guess it's flattering EA offered so much third party support for the Wii

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Toy Story 2

Jon Burton really enjoys making videogames. This is one of them, and it's pretty okay. It's a 3D platformer where we collect things so we can move to the next level and collect more things. It isn't as "collect-a-thony" as Banjo-Kazooie, but the environments are still non-linear and exploration is required. I remember it being the best of the 3D Disney platformers on the PS1/64, so let's see how it holds up

I guess you could call that a rescue, if you wanted.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 29, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

quack

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

BYTEPATH is like Geometry Wars with upgrades, and I really liked it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

zfleeman posted:

BYTEPATH is like Geometry Wars with upgrades, and I really liked it.

Geometry wars didn't have upgrades?

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

NOt that I remember. I guess I only played the Geometry Wars demo in 2006 or something.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

zfleeman posted:

Didn't see anybody complain about the first thing I posted, so... Image for the full video.

Hey, so, just wanted to say I'm really enjoying these so far and that you convinced me to get Bytepath and Card Crawl.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Top 10 Best Jackhammer Themed Enemies in Videogame History

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Antistasi 11

Tonight we do some night ops, enjoy our teammates flashing their lights onto the scope while I shoot.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This game is fascinated with green slime

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJTRyYesqkA

Squidlit isn't really anything special, but it NAILS super-annoying and earsplitting chiptunes. So, if you're into that sort of thing...

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

zfleeman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJTRyYesqkA

Squidlit isn't really anything special, but it NAILS super-annoying and earsplitting chiptunes. So, if you're into that sort of thing...

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of these videos a bit if you put (Incredible) in the video title? It implies anything else in the series I might watch isn't Incredible, and I should probably not pay it as much mind.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

idk, maybe you want something so-so like Squidlit, but yeah, good point. I guess the color-coded medals in the thumbnail didn't explicitly give it away to you? >8]

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

zfleeman posted:

idk, maybe you want something so-so like Squidlit, but yeah, good point. I guess the color-coded medals in the thumbnail didn't explicitly give it away to you? >8]

I didn't actually pay attention to the medals, but Silver looks an awful lot like Platinum if we're being cheeky.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Squidlit

"Squidlit is pretty lit." - Journalist Magazine

Squidlit is an independently developed 2D platformer that follows the Game Boy's limitations and general design standards as close as possible, down to the music and sprite limitations. In spite of this, it also manages to be not nearly as frustrating as real Game Boy platformers. Squidlit is an example of how to be faithful to old gaming conventions -including the elegant simplicity of the design- without completely screwing the player over like those old games often did. Plus, it's all condensed into a 30 minute package for your convenience.

Part 1 - The part where we complete the game

Part 2 - Secrets, Extras, and Easter Eggs

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 8, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You might have thought Squidlit was over! And it was, but there are a few secrets and a very, very slightly different ending

Part 2 - Secrets, Extras, and Easter Eggs

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Let's Play Daytona USA (Saturn Port) - Video 1 of 1

In celebration of the end of the Romhackeria Megathread with the conclusion of The Legend of Zelda: A Link To the Past KEYSANITY, I take the romhack crew out for a literal victory lap.

Joining me are FPzero, Tyty, and Mysticblade. Tragically, Artix skipped town the second we were done with Keysanity, so he does not appear in this video.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktO80uuLxp4

Wild Glory is a local multiplayer game that has a decent level of polish and several different party game modes. So, I played it with bots and talked about it with my friends.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Those lasers seem dangerous to potential consumers

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

plenty of games have sewer levels, so why don't more have Elevator Shaft levels?

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkIrNP8IR1c

Swarmlake is Devil Daggers with half the depth but twice the colors.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

To celebrate the recent release of Burnout Paradise Remastered, I decided to play the older games in the series. Obviously, the beginning is always a good place to start from, so here's me playing the original Burnout while rambling on about dumb poo poo (mainly involving the games themselves, at least) in my sexy Nordic accent and having equally dumb crashes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex09-lySTKQ

This was a super casual thing I decided to do on a whim (and my first time doing live commentary on a video, which I bring up as one excuse for my horrendous driving at one point), just playing Burnout and bullshitting about stuff, so don't expect any particularly insightful commentary in this one. I'll be doing videos for the rest of the games as well, and even though these are just one-off things I figured I might as well put them here in the spirit of :justpost:

edit: I'm watching the Daytona USA video from a few posts back and yes, the Saturn did use quads instead of triangles, which caused all kinds of headaches to developers. There was also some weird stuff involving the two graphics processors.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 23, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I've been playing this in my off time since the middle of last year, after watching MoominBiscuit and SuperGraffiti gently caress around in it during their Terrible PS2 Games Thread, and honestly? It's not nearly as bad as people think.

The controls are pretty poor, and the combat is terrible, but getting past that major thing is possible and behind it are a lot of interesting and funny enemy designs, with each level having at least 2 unique enemies and some levels not sharing any foes with any others, fairly distinctive boss fights, although the second one can go gently caress herself, and unique levels. There are 4/5 major hubs (the 5th may just be a final boss but I think it's more levels first, don't know yet) and each hub has 3 levels and a boss. The levels share a theme, but are otherwise totally different to each other so you only do each type once and this means that they don't wear out their welcome. There is a loving maze level. I never got lost in that level, always managed to find where I needed to be. That's a good maze.

So here is the first level, as I explain the basic mechanics and you can see for yourself just how clunky the game is.

Ace Lightning Level 1 - Googler's Big Top: Ring of Fear
Ace Lightning Level 2 - Googler's Big Top: Wandering in the Walkways

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I am close to the end, with only one level to go in Hub 4, so I'm fairly confident I can finish it. However I am putting it in this thread in case I hit a wall that cannot be passed, and it is an experiment with Live Commentary. The hosed up PS2 logo right at the start was a recording artifact.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 28, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been playing this in my off time since the middle of last year, after watching MoominBiscuit and SuperGraffiti gently caress around in it during their Terrible PS2 Games Thread, and honestly? It's not nearly as bad as people think.

The controls are pretty poor, and the combat is terrible, but getting past that major thing is possible and behind it are a lot of interesting and funny enemy designs, with each level having at least 2 unique enemies and some levels not sharing any foes with any others, fairly distinctive boss fights, although the second one can go gently caress herself, and unique levels. There are 4/5 major hubs (the 5th may just be a final boss but I think it's more levels first, don't know yet) and each hub has 3 levels and a boss. The levels share a theme, but are otherwise totally different to each other so you only do each type once and this means that they don't wear out their welcome. There is a loving maze level. I never got lost in that level, always managed to find where I needed to be. That's a good maze.

So here is the first level, as I explain the basic mechanics and you can see for yourself just how clunky the game is.

Ace LIghtning Level 1 - Googler's Big Top: Ring of Fear

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I am close to the end, with only one level to go in Hub 4, so I'm fairly confident I can finish it. However I am putting it in this thread in case I hit a wall that cannot be passed, and it is an experiment with Live Commentary. The hosed up PS2 logo right at the start was a recording artifact.

Ah, I tried recording this on my PC and could never get the cutscenes to record properly. The game is absolutely not a difficuly game, except for one particular stage, though, so I don't see you hitting a wall.
The controls suck dick

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Ah, I tried recording this on my PC and could never get the cutscenes to record properly. The game is absolutely not a difficuly game, except for one particular stage, though, so I don't see you hitting a wall.
The controls suck dick

Yeah, I got past the last wall earlier - one of the bosses has a gimmick that is interesting but has a nuance that is hard to notice due to the random nature of the non-existent physics engine.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I can't believe you're actually playing Ace Lightning. That's fantastic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just wanna give the game a fair shake for at least being interesting, although the final boss is giving me trouble on practice runs, because there aren't a lot of videos about this game, and the only video that had any late-game footage misrepresented it to make the game look worse than it was by claiming that he had to backtrack through a platforming section - that very rarely happens, and especially not in the section he was showing, because at the end of most platforming paths there is a final platform that takes you back to the start of the room for a shortcut. Either that or you can survive the fall to the start.

also there are no full walkthroughs of this game, and one of the full LPs stopped after spending multiple videos stuck in the hedge maze. It's not that hard to navigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I just wanna give the game a fair shake for at least being interesting, although the final boss is giving me trouble on practice runs, because there aren't a lot of videos about this game, and the only video that had any late-game footage misrepresented it to make the game look worse than it was by claiming that he had to backtrack through a platforming section - that very rarely happens, and especially not in the section he was showing, because at the end of most platforming paths there is a final platform that takes you back to the start of the room for a shortcut. Either that or you can survive the fall to the start.

also there are no full walkthroughs of this game, and one of the full LPs stopped after spending multiple videos stuck in the hedge maze. It's not that hard to navigate.

I actually see some differences between PC and PS2 versions now. I think I'll upload some PC footage if I ever get it to not gently caress up the cutscenes