Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

EmmyOk posted:

e: honestly annie you should be loving scarlet about ever turning into a titan again after being owned so bad

:allears:

Too bad he has to sit things out until s3 for saving Mikasa's greedy rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm glad you've finally seen the light

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I cannot believe these two assholes going back for their friend bringing titans with them! Like this is the reason not to risk body collection because the loving living matter more you idiots! Everyone has lost someone!

You god drat loving cunts are the reason we had to jettison Petra's body you shits

oh jesus this scene with Levi and Petra's father, Levi has the same face as me

Oh holy poo poo you can't take Eren from the scouts

Conspiratiorist posted:

:allears:

Too bad he has to sit things out until s3 for saving Mikasa's greedy rear end.

excuse me?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
He hosed up his ankle to push Mikasa away from the Female Titan's incoming retaliation.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I noticed that and thought it'd be a problem sooner I didn't expect him to be gone all of the second season :negativeman:

This Annie episode is super interesting and I wonder what people made of it before the reveal

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

levi's like the crazy super weapon you get for one level in a video game because having it around the whole game would make it too easy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

OH MY GOD LADS THEY'RE loving TAKING ON ANNIE NOW WHAT THE HELL HAYSUS I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS

e:

Armin: "please let us help you!"

Eren: "say this is all a joke"

Mikasa: "I will become Emmy's best friend again"

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 24, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Holy poo poo this is going to be a hell of a lot tougher without Levi

I'm glad Annie was revealed now because it diffused the spoiler a lot. I had assumed the fact that humans were secret titans and the three identities were all reveleaed at once but now the remaining spoiler is just the identites of two of them, not the entire concept.

Mikasa getting real with Eren is exactly my jam

I was worried when Eren blamed himself for Levi's team dying and Armin telling him he needs to become a greater monster than the monsters is making me very worried about all of my children. I'm glad he finally blasted Annie in the jaw though. Ugh Up for work in five hours so the finale will have to wait until tomorrow.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I hope Eren has one.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

HOLY loving poo poo SCRAPING ALONG HER ICE PUNCH AND HITTING HER INTO THE AIR IS SOME REVENGENACE poo poo

Not an unreasonable mistake and completely trivial, but Annie doesn't have ice powers, it's supposed to be derived from bone-hardening, so it's probably titan meat hardened into diamond or something.

Also, I'm glad your enjoying this part, and you're lucky you don't need to wait for season 2 to drop, but after you watch the last episodes of season 1 and the first episode of season 2, I'd recommend you go check the manga and read its version of events. There's some pacing issues caused by them having had to make Season 1 end in a conclusive enough way that audiences would be cool waiting what wound up being 4 years for followup.

If I recall correctly, you'd want to read chapters 31 through 34 or there abouts.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I took a quick look at my copy of volume one before bed last night and was surprised how fast the opening was. It cuts from like the armored titan(who only had like 5 panels) to the gang baking in the top 10 at graduation. Will definitely check out those manga chapters and thanks for the clarifying hardening info. If only the clocks hadn't gone forward last night I could have finished the first season!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I took a quick look at my copy of volume one before bed last night and was surprised how fast the opening was. It cuts from like the armored titan(who only had like 5 panels) to the gang baking in the top 10 at graduation. Will definitely check out those manga chapters and thanks for the clarifying hardening info. If only the clocks hadn't gone forward last night I could have finished the first season!

The manga flashes back. The anime just puts the flashback chronologically.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah cool thanks for the info. The official translations have Eren's surname as Yeager. I hope they're not early One Piece tier official translations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watching the finale of season one before dinner.

Eren's gait when he's after transforming and on his way to smack the chops off Annie is the same way I walk when I jump out of bed when the house alarm goes off at 4am and no one else gets up to reset.

Also man am I glad that we didn't have to see too much of Petra's dad talking to Levi :saddowns: :smith:

Lmao Hannibal would love this scene of the worshippers getting stamped on

Eren running status: me when my dog has something in it's mouth and flees

Is there going to be a single MP who doesn't suck. They were supposed to be top tens even if they did choose the MPs to avoid titan fighting surely one of them at least is cool

I had been thinking of the secret titans as titans who could act like humans but maybe they were humans who gained these abilities? Still no idea what their goals are or could be

Man Eren can't do much against her hardening abilities, he's chewing away on her leg like a madman.

What the gently caress is this hell hound looking thing/form!

Eren run status: my dog when I have food

Erwin is a really interesting character because as a viewer you're glad that someone can make such insanely tough calls for humanity's future but I'd loving hate to have to be part of his plans etc.

I feel so bad for Annie rn wtf caught between Mikasa and Eren

What can't Levi do!

Not killing Annie like that has given me hope that Eren will not become an unrepentant slaughterer

This final montage over the credits I forgot the scene where Eren's dream exploded in fire when Armen called out to him during the Trost boulder operation. Maybe that was foreshadowing this fiery form of his

THAT CANNOT POSSIBLY BE A TITAN IN THE WALL

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

EmmyOk posted:

Walled city Banksy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

:getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Prepare for a ridiculous amount of plot progression from the end of season 1 to now :getin:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Has it always been there? Is it just chilling out? Is it a person? Do I know this one? What the heck???

Time to start season two I suppose!

Wait what the gently caress is this only a single cour? No wonder the big reveal only comes at the end of these episodes, argh!!!

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

EmmyOk posted:

The ride never ends (for another season).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lmao it seemed like a shocking reveal at the end of season one but season two starts with them immediately seeing it and being like what the gently caress is that in the wall?

I am curious about the walls themselves actually. If humanity did build them how would we ever get the time to do it while the titans are roaming was always my question.

Opening song was okay but I mainly focussed on the graphics, saw the monkey lad running beside a whale? Looks like the armoured and colossal are gonna properly party with people this season

Oh this episode is called Beast Titan lol

Priests really are the worst

"who exactly are we fighting?" we're fighting you reiner you huge bitch

Reiner seemed legit when he asked Bertholt if "the wall had really been breached"

Nah they're fuckers I bet, why else would they be so concerned about going south with Connie even before the titans showed up.

I feel like "second only to captain Levi" is still a pretty huge gulf

Okay he's pretty good but ya'll need a new name cos abnormals is for poo poo like the leapers and crawlers not dudes like this

Also maybe Bert and Rein don't know anything about this and it's curious george who's doing this

this is the first non-human titan kill right?

what

the

gently caress

okay so he mentioned them residing in the nape, so perhaps they (or at least this dude) is a super old human inhabiting a titan body so he hasn't seen humans since the walls went up and we developed ODM?

hrm that ending song is good and the video seems to be the history of humans and titans, I noticed the storyboards for it were by Isayama. Guess this means this season tells me all that good stuff!

e: can't believe curious george was such a oval office, boys

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I look forward to more reactions for the rest of this season. You already know the big one, but there are a lot more.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Please understand the importance of using a different name for Grape Ape in every post.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay so it's definite to me now that the titans are turning normal humans into more titans. This is the question I originally asked my pal after the first ten episodes when I dropped it and she responded with the big twist. It seems like Sasha's dad is one which sucksssssssssssss. How and why though?

Are the wall titans are pals? Was there goody and baddy titans all those years ago?

bet this child is loving evil or some poo poo

Just ptsd thankfully

Freckles and Christa are good

Oh it's not her dad I realise as she doesn't recognise him at all and then her da rides by lmao

Oh come on that is totally his mother

ED song is really chill

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
S2 is such a big jump up in quality.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The first season was really great though! Very weird to be they wasted Sabat on this dude in the dub though wtf

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

ZiegeDame posted:

Please understand the importance of using a different name for Grape Ape in every post.

Rambo Jambo.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Fire Eren form at the end of S1 is anime only btw

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
In general, s1 seemed like the production staff were occasionally trying to insert their own twist on the setting, when they were better off being faithful to the material, which is supremely detail oriented. This is Ishiyama’s first work, he was probably inexperienced with the industry and didn’t push back hard enough while supervising the anime production.

s2 has no weird anime only quirks, only a rearrangement of events where scenes many volumes ahead are bought forward and spoilt. And considering the real time between the manga and anime, this was a deliberate choice because they felt the former had landed with sufficient impact.

Hence the massive multi year gap between the two seasons. It did mean that Wit spent years gaining production experience, meaning s2 has none of the production difficulties plaguing s1.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Does season 1 still have just panning stills with like 2 minutes of dialogue in the bluray versions?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Manatee Cannon posted:

levi's like the crazy super weapon you get for one level in a video game because having it around the whole game would make it too easy

Or the overleveled character in an rpg who joins the party for one dungeon and trivializes it.

It's lame that he's out of commission for the events covered by season 2, but I think it was necessary since things would have been less hectic with him around and certain plot things wouldn't happen.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

s2 has no weird anime only quirks, only a rearrangement of events where scenes many volumes ahead are bought forward and spoilt. And considering the real time between the manga and anime, this was a deliberate choice because they felt the former had landed with sufficient impact.

I was under the impression that the rearrangement of flashbacks and other information in season 2 was deliberate on Isayama's part, not just the studio's, to improve the presentation of key information.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It was, and he was also on staff for the S1 changes. And, in an interview bundled with the S2 BDs, he had this to say about the upcoming S3:

Isayama Hajime posted:

“After writing Volume 12, in the period between 13 and 16 was when I felt the most disappointed with my work. Hopefully, now that season 3 is being made, I’ll have the chance to wipe away that regret and replace it with something I’m proud of.”

While manga/LN typically hype up anime adaptations of their work, Isayama is particularly keen in calling the anime the superior version of Attack on Titan, pointing out how the music and voice acting bring the story and characters to life in ways beyond what he's himself envisioned, and - as stated above - working in the anime gives him an opportunity to revise the story to improve aspects he wasn't entirely satisfied about on the first go. This even circles back to the original manga, with the anime's execution and reception among the audience influencing his writing as he forges ahead.

Case in point, he's talked about how he didn't have a clear idea of what Eren's character and development should be until he heard his lines live through Kaji Yuuki's voice, and he had originally intended for a darker and more cynical end to the story, but felt bad about it after seeing how well received his characters were when the anime expanded AoT's audience.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The rearrangement of scenes that started in Season 1 and escalated in Season 2 improved things overall. The anime does a better job of withholding information from the audience to make circumstances more suspenseful. It really files like a more polished draft of the manga to me, so I have no problem with changes to S3 that the Internet seems to be freaking out about.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beefstew posted:

The rearrangement of scenes that started in Season 1 and escalated in Season 2 improved things overall. The anime does a better job of withholding information from the audience to make circumstances more suspenseful. It really files like a more polished draft of the manga to me, so I have no problem with changes to S3 that the Internet seems to be freaking out about.
What changes?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Ol' Monkey Trouble

Ymir's backstory in season2 wasn't shown in the manga until post-Basement. Also the s2 revealed titans were humans which wasn't done until the military coup arc in the manga. I guess season 2 took so long to release because Isayama wanted to sneak the Ymir part in, but had to wait for the manga to reveal it first.

e: oh you were probly talking about s3 changes. Who knows?!

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 26, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The main difference between AoT Season 1 and Season 2 is the direction. Season 1 director is Tetsurou Araki, who also directed Death Note, Guilty Crown or High School of the Dead. He has a bombastic, exaggerated style... like the first season.
In season 2 he has the title of 'chief director' and the real, boots-on-the-ground director was Masashi Koizuka, that change of roles made an improvement, imo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That certainly explains the "I'll take this human... AND EAT IT" scene I suppose.

Does Isayama do his own English translations because I was skimming volume one before bed last night and the copyright for it was under his name as well as the original?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Turin Turambar posted:

In season 2 he has the title of 'chief director' and the real, boots-on-the-ground director was Masashi Koizuka, that change of roles made an improvement, imo.

Absolutely. It really drew my attention how the direction and composition gets almost experimental at times compared to standard anime fare, with say its use of rewinds and fade ins, and all without falling into the presumptuousness of some other *cough*Studio Trigger*cough* projects that want an artistic look. Just, really good transitions, and a proper handling of tension in both action and non-action scenes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mountaineer posted:

Or the overleveled character in an rpg who joins the party for one dungeon and trivializes it.

It's lame that he's out of commission for the events covered by season 2, but I think it was necessary since things would have been less hectic with him around and certain plot things wouldn't happen.

Isn't even Levi limited by the fact that you can only carry so many sword blade thingies? They're used up when they slice a titan's neck, so once he runs out he'd be out of commission.

I guess there's the option of just having 10 people whose roll is "carry more blades for Levi."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't even Levi limited by the fact that you can only carry so many sword blade thingies? They're used up when they slice a titan's neck, so once he runs out he'd be out of commission.

I guess there's the option of just having 10 people whose roll is "carry more blades for Levi."

That's what the people who are killed are for.