Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tonight I went to my FIRST EVER karaoke session and the only people there were the staff and my friends and me so we all got really weird with it. It was super fun but also INCREDIBLY EMBARRASSING and I discovered that when your choices of BNL tunes are not available on youtube in karaoke edition you really shouldn't settle for Brian Wilson, it's only upbeat by Steven standards and also not in your key.

Props to random equally awful dude who showed up out of nowhere and duoed with me after I started getting embarrassed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I was once at karaoke with friends and did One Week. I could do all the "rap" sections without looking at the screen for the lyrics. I still impressed nobody and felt like a loser after so :shrug:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hedrigall posted:

I was once at karaoke with friends and did One Week. I could do all the "rap" sections without looking at the screen for the lyrics. I still impressed nobody and felt like a loser after so :shrug:

You are clearly me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

One of my most memorable karaoke performances was a duo of If I had a Million Dollars with my girlfriend at the time on a cruise, thanks for that song BnL

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'd never actually listened to Maroon until three days ago when Pinch Me came up on my Youtube recs and help me I've fallen down a barenaked lady hole

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Hedrigall posted:

Holy poo poo this was... almost... me last night. Turns out the only thing less impressive than knowing all the words to One Week is knowing most of the words to One Week.

I just downloaded "Ladies and Gentlemen: BNL and The Persuasions" because I wanted to hear their "Some Fantastic", which will always be a favourite of mine after the Bathroom Sessions video for it. I recommend it, plus it was only $6.99 on Canuck iTunes.
While I generally don't take a side on "Who is the better lead singer?" because my opinion is that the best songs are the ones featuring both, Are Me/Are Men really is their last really good album. Silverball does however have the distinction of featuring the worst Kevin song ever and the best Jim song ever, so there's that. If you took the best songs from AIGT, Grinning Streak, and Silverball, you'd get a hell of a good Post-Steve compilation album.

Speaking of Steve, his last solo album is kinda just... there, isn't it? Doesn't hold a candle to Page One, imo.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I saw BNL probably 12 years ago, and they were loving great. I got nothing else, agree that they are super underrated and a perfect band for a 15-year old.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
We could hide out under there

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Three-Phase posted:

We could hide out under there

*throws underwear*

*also throws Kraft Dinner at appropriate time*

edit: listening to Gordon IRL right now

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hedrigall posted:

Okay now let's talk rare b-sides. How many of you have heard Powder Blue? It was a Stunt era b-side I think, and it's one of their absolute best songs.

Edit: sorry, Maroon era. Here:

https://youtu.be/XW006QIYMzA

Hi BNL thread, here's a reminder that this song exists, because I remembered it tonight and it's extremely good :) Why isn't this on the actual album again?

Kurt Vega
Oct 23, 2017

Listen. Don't worry about it.
Aw hell yeah, some love for BNL. One of the first bands I can recall listening to as a kid, my parents were big fans so they were always our go-to road-trip music. Posting one of my favorites to sing along to because I didn't see it anywhere.

How had I never seen some of these music videos before? These are incredible on so many levels.

brenkelieshere
Mar 10, 2007
I was obsessed with BNL from 11-18 or so; they were the first favourite band, and my first concert. When Steve left, I knew things wouldn't be the same. Around that time I realized how many people think they're lame and I got embarrassed about being a fan, and then kinda slowly stopped listening to them.

I still keep track of when they release new albums, but they're just not very engaging. I really don't like the electronic boops and beeps and flourishes in a lot of the new songs. From what I hear of Fake Nudes, they seem to be going down that same path.

Anyway, thank you for the thread LITERALLY A BIRD, it makes me feel slightly less embarrassed about my past obsession.

And I hope Steve comes back for one more concert so we can hear Call and Answer and Brian Wilson and maybe Break Your Heart the way they're meant to be heard before everyone gets too old. Though, I saw a solo show of his a few years ago and he did an amazing job on his own.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Thanks to this thread for showing me that Are Me is not a typo, but a whole new to me album next to Are Men in Google Music. With similar cover art.
Upside Down is my favorite song thematically but Ruining Out of Ink is the catchiest.
https://youtu.be/QMNfB7MWRIY
Please watch this live Break Your Heart if you forget how good they were or need to cry.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I, too, enjoy Page-era Barenaked Ladies. I listened to All in Good Time once and found it to be stultifying, joyless, and short of my already low expectations. Haven’t listened to any of their subsequent albums at all.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's crazy that they've done 4 albums post-Page now. I feel no desire whatsoever to listen to the last couple.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
I still like their newer albums and I can't think of a group or artist that I like seeing live more than them. They put on a great show. I also live in Halifax and I still get a kick out of them telling us all how much less we suck since they wrote Hello City.

But Canada Dry is kinda ruined for me now, because I heard them sing it live for the first time literally the day after Gord Downie died, and poor Ed was just a mess at the start. He completely forgot the lyrics and started crying until they had to restart the song.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

BNL was the first band I ever saw live, they kicked rear end, but my friend that was with me wanted to leave before the encore so I didn't get to see the end of it. Not sure I've listened to any of the post-page albums, I sorta stopped paying attention to them after I grew into a no-fun-allowed cynic because the lighthearted edge found in most of their songs was off-putting. But even though I don't listen to them a whole bunch anymore I still think BNL is cool AND good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It’s been

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/barenakedladies/posts/10160455536130727:0

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

HOLY poo poo

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

...for one night at the Junos.

quote:

So is there any chance of this one-off performance becoming permanent?

"Never say never," says Robertson.

"I have learned to not predict, and I think it all depends on how it goes," Page says when asked the same question in his separate interview.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh my god please please please do an album together :qq:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

One of my all time favorite bands. I haven't seen them live since 2005 and I'm so excited to see them perform together in about ten minutes after a decade apart that I will probably cry.

Stream here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVVaH_IU-4

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Tim Whatley posted:

One of my all time favorite bands. I haven't seen them live since 2005 and I'm so excited to see them perform together in about ten minutes after a decade apart that I will probably cry.

Stream here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVVaH_IU-4

I'm at work so I'll be watching on YouTube later but let us know what the performance is like!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

They did One Week and Million Dollars. It was like they never separated, and for the love of god, please tour together again.

E: now with link
https://youtu.be/JwjdvgPULRc

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 26, 2018

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Amazing :h:

Also, here's the thank you speech including a musical list of thank yous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH6qrjeWCtU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

in honor of this blessed reunion, and because the greatest hits album they released has been out longer than the amount of time it covers, I pose to you a question: What 20 songs would go on a sequel album to Disc 1: All Their Greatest Hits? let's ignore the obvious joke of a blank disc because some other label bought the new songs that were supposed to be on it.

This covers Everything to Everyone, Are Me/n, All in Good Time, the other non-Page-having albums that I didn't listen to, as well as the kids album and a bunch of weird side ventures (and the theme song to some sitcom about nerds i guess).

edit: woah i'm real dumb the stuff from Maroon is on there already how did I not see that?

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 28, 2018

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Disc One was released after Maroon, and includes Pinch Me on it. That being said, here's my list of 20 songs I like released since Disc One:

Celebrity
Another Postcard
Shopping
Testing 1, 2, 3
Adrift
Bank Job
Easy
Wind It Up
Something You'll Never Find
Quality
Four Seconds
Every Subway Car
How Long
Boomerang
Odds Are
Get Back Up
Hold My Hand
Silverball
Canada Dry
Bag of Bones

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I don't really like this band but I love this clip where Ed grabs David Duchovny by the neck because Mulder danced too close to him.

@ 2:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpI2AUoLZf0

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Edward Mass posted:

Disc One was released after Maroon, and includes Pinch Me on it. That being said, here's my list of 20 songs I like released since Disc One:

Celebrity
Another Postcard
Shopping
Testing 1, 2, 3
Adrift
Bank Job
Easy
Wind It Up
Something You'll Never Find
Quality
Four Seconds
Every Subway Car
How Long
Boomerang
Odds Are
Get Back Up
Hold My Hand
Silverball
Canada Dry
Bag of Bones

I can't comment on the post-Steven albums but from EtE you're missing Upside Down and Unfinished at the very least :colbert:
For You and War on Drugs as well but they are probably both too depressing for a greatest hits album.

Maybe You're Right and Sound of Your Voice from Are Me should be on there too.

I nominate we cut Another Postcard and Shopping. You madman.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I'm here to say that Rock Spectacle is one of the greatest live albums ever recorded. Seriously. It's so good. I'm an audio engineer and I've listened to thousands of the loving things, but I can always come back to Rock Spectacle.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The post-Steven stuff has its own charm and there are a few gems. But yeah, I almost wish they had rebranded after he left, because every time I see that band name it makes me remember better times

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I'm here to say that Rock Spectacle is one of the greatest live albums ever recorded. Seriously. It's so good. I'm an audio engineer and I've listened to thousands of the loving things, but I can always come back to Rock Spectacle.

Excuse me, but do you know where the Brian Street Theatre is?

Anyone heard the new Steven Page album yet? I actually really liked All in Good Time and Page One but neither Steve nor the other guys were able to maintain that level.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DC Murderverse posted:

Favorite Barenaked Ladies fact: Paul McCartney is a fan, to the point where he said "Their harmonies are right on. They could outsing us any day of the week. I don’t think John and myself ever had the sort of range they do."

I remember seeing them live the first time back in the late 90s and Steven would do these huge medleys at the end and his voice just stopped me in my tracks. I mean I wasn't even a huge fan at the time I first saw them (went with some friends) and didn't know much about singing, but I remember thinking I would probably never hear as strong a voice again. Not sure I still have.

edit: Not the cover song medleys they used to do. This was a medley of their own songs. He would belt out things that seemed almost operatic.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 16, 2018

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Diet Poison posted:

Have a Fruit Roll-up! Aw for Christ's sake!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Diet Poison posted:

Anyone heard the new Steven Page album yet? I actually really liked All in Good Time and Page One but neither Steve nor the other guys were able to maintain that level.

I think I really like it, actually. It's not the quality I would have expected from him ten years ago but I mean, ten years is a long time. I prefer it to Instinct for sure.

Also I have tickets to see him at the end of the month I'VE ONLY BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT FOR FIFTEEN YEARS, gently caress

e: I should add that -- credit where it's due -- the track Feelgood Summer feels shockingly close to vintage Page. And gently caress yes, that operatic comment, BonoMan. Steven's voice when he's really feeling it just does something super primal for me I've yet to get from another singer.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 10, 2018

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
BNL's at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh 👏 my 👏 god 👏 you 👏 guys

It was amazing. I am amazed. Oh my god. His voice is unbefuckinglievable in person and he is SO loving NICE I nearly died.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I heard Pinch Me when I was like 12 or 13 and it’s honestly the best song about having depression I can think of. It’s not sad, it’s just “:sigh:... gently caress it” in a way that nails it perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
In 'how did I not get this' news, I just realized the line "I like the chalet Swiss" from One Week is a reference to Swiss Chalet.