Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just put a Roomba up there.

Also, I question the cherry on tan Eames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Roomba need to make a drone.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

ABE LINCOLN IS WATCHING YOU POOP

Rest of the house is gloriously tacky and I'm sad there's only a handful of interior photos.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I want to credit their commitment to baroque grandma style, but what the hell is up with that coffee table? Did they have to send the usual Rococo dust shelter to the shop and just dragged the one out of the patio set in as a place holder?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Youth Decay posted:

Reminds me of the old Abraham Lincoln joke that was retold in Lincoln.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBmwljrHWw&t=45s

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Oh, so that's the target market for those tacky stained glass lamps.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I genuinely like that palatial birdcage, though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PetraCore posted:

I genuinely like that palatial birdcage, though.

Ain’t no birds in it

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What I always wonder about those places that are cluttered with "decorative" items is who has time to dust and clean all that? Even if you have a maid it has to take hours each day to keep every tiny nook and cranny in every room dust-free.

Or are the room just hermetically sealed time capsules where the doors are always closed and nobody is allowed in there ever?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Collateral Damage posted:

What I always wonder about those places that are cluttered with "decorative" items is who has time to dust and clean all that? Even if you have a maid it has to take hours each day to keep every tiny nook and cranny in every room dust-free.

Or are the room just hermetically sealed time capsules where the doors are always closed and nobody is allowed in there ever?

Who dusts every day?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Someone who has that many dust traps in their house I guess.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Youth Decay posted:

I can't believe they went through the effort of making that insane baroque bathroom and just put a standard plain white toilet in it. Like, I realize a colored toilet is special order and costs like $800 and just seems wrong, but everything else is there seems kind of wrong as well so why not. At least put a fancy lid on it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wife and I are closing in on a 3/2 1/2 townhouse at the end of next month and we’re wondering what to do with a certain space in the house. There’s sizable dining area right in front of the kitchen, but also what clearly appears to be a breakfast nook.

Problem is, we know for a fact we’d never use it for that. We either have breakfast at the dining room table, or on the coffee table in front on of the TV on weekends.

I know I don’t have photos or much of a description to give you, but with a small space that’s not quite living room, not quite dining room, do y’all have some ideas for what to do with the space?

We have no kids (don’t want ‘em), we’re both professionals who work 9-5, we spend most of our down time at home rather than going out besides to dinner. We have a dog. We are already making a spare bedroom into a gym. We also have a very nice cemented back yard, if that helps.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Does it have windows? I'd probably wall it off and turn it into a pantry.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Home office/study/goony game room?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Can you mspaint a floorplan? What hobbies do you guys have that might fit in?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's hard to say without pictures or a floorplan, but I'm assuming it's too small to be comfortably used as an office or whatever. "Breakfast nook in a townhouse" doesn't scream tons of space to me.

Liquid Communism posted:

Does it have windows? I'd probably wall it off and turn it into a pantry.
Seconding this, especially if you can finagle it so you can access it from the kitchen. It'd be especially handy since you have a dog, so you could keep big bags of dog food in there instead of having them use up cupboard space or whatever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sex closet.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Jaded Burnout posted:

Ain’t no birds in it
I think it's too focused on ornateness and not focused enough on size and sturdiness to be good for actual pet birds, alas. As a single decorative item it's nice, but if you're going to have a purely decorative birdcage you probably want a smaller one. Dinged on both counts!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This is it. If you look up, the ceiling is kinda round and concave above the area, and the windows made us think “breakfast nook,” but we’d never use it as such.

In terms of hobbies, we generally just chill out watching Netflix and stuff, we read, we play video games on the Switch/3DS, browse the internet, nerd poo poo. We both have big toy collections (hers is way cooler with designer art toys), and we like to cuddle and play fetch with our little dog. He’s not so big, so we don’t need a big pantry for his food. We do both love to cook, but we’ve got a big nice brand new kitchen for that.

Only thing that comes to mind is some kind of set up for our collections. But our thought process stops there. We’re open to suggestions for other options, though!

Oh yeah, we would never really need a home office set up with our jobs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Put a sofa there and make it into a reading area? Or a couple of comfy chairs. There's nothing wrong with having more than one "comfortable place to sit and do whatever" part of your house, and being able to enjoy natural light from a nearby window is a nice plus.

dirty epic
Feb 26, 2018
Games/toy room!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Put a sofa there and make it into a reading area? Or a couple of comfy chairs. There's nothing wrong with having more than one "comfortable place to sit and do whatever" part of your house, and being able to enjoy natural light from a nearby window is a nice plus.

Yeah I'd say this, big comfy lounging sofas and bookshelves. Breakfast Nook becomes Non-TV Chillout Nook.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

More importantly, a place you can get away from people and maybe even nap!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nanigans posted:

This is it. If you look up, the ceiling is kinda round and concave above the area, and the windows made us think “breakfast nook,” but we’d never use it as such.

In terms of hobbies, we generally just chill out watching Netflix and stuff, we read, we play video games on the Switch/3DS, browse the internet, nerd poo poo. We both have big toy collections (hers is way cooler with designer art toys), and we like to cuddle and play fetch with our little dog. He’s not so big, so we don’t need a big pantry for his food. We do both love to cook, but we’ve got a big nice brand new kitchen for that.

Only thing that comes to mind is some kind of set up for our collections. But our thought process stops there. We’re open to suggestions for other options, though!

Oh yeah, we would never really need a home office set up with our jobs.

What's the purpose of the closet? It just feels... awkward, somehow. Maybe knock it out, enlarge the ex-nook area, put down a nice rug and some comfortable furniture, maybe a screen to set it off? I don't know, IANAID. (I'm not an interior designer)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just put something like an end table under the window and leave it as open space.

If you can think of something, it doesn’t need anything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You could leave it empty as a place to sit on the floor until you earn the right to select furniture.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Nanigans posted:

a small space that’s not quite living room, not quite dining room, do y’all have some ideas for what to do with the space?

I have a similar space in my house. I put a lovely futon there and use it for lounging on while I post on SA.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ferret nook.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Btw this air bnb flip has a sweet blue crystal fireplace.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

peanut posted:

Btw this air bnb flip has a sweet blue crystal fireplace.

Visiting New Mexico?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Ferret nook.

+1

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

What's the purpose of the closet? It just feels... awkward, somehow. Maybe knock it out, enlarge the ex-nook area, put down a nice rug and some comfortable furniture, maybe a screen to set it off? I don't know, IANAID. (I'm not an interior designer)

AC closet, so can’t get rid of that!

I do like the idea of bookshelves/armchairs. I’d have to make a concerted effort to not just sit on the couch, though.

Thanks everyone!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
My parents in law have a couch and coffee table in the 'breakfast nook' and it's fantastic. Everyone always seems to gather in the kitchen anyway and so there's a comfortable space for a small group to hang out in. I'd never have thought to do it but in practice it's great

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Make a little library! Put all your books, board games, and magazines there.

If you don't have hundreds of books that need a better home then your bedroom shelves, now's a good time to start! (I can't wait till I can have my own place with nice bookshelves)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There's a curse of the modern age that bookshelves are great to fill odd spaces but I replace all but my rare books with kindle versions, so I've nothing to store. All my media is digital, the only things have are practical.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jaded Burnout posted:

There's a curse of the modern age that bookshelves are great to fill odd spaces but I replace all but my rare books with kindle versions, so I've nothing to store. All my media is digital, the only things have are practical.

I sit in my mother's secondary craft lair, deeply jelous.

Btw, never tell any crafty people about Jewel Painting. It's like next level coloring.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Facebook is intent on throwing me every jewel painting ad imaginable but the thought of all those tiny jewels makes me anxious. I would definitely drop them and I'd be finding tiny rhinestones on the floor forever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I mean, the obvious solution is you make the nook like this with a nice big shrine for the kindle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sorry I'm far too metropolitan and portable for that sort of thing, my kindle lives in my courier bag.