Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Lol @"virtue signaling" & she didn't say it was "consensual" (which would require - consent - & not saying "I didn't think it was a big deal retroactively even though I'm writing them into my memoirs"). Also, it being the 70s absolutely informs the power dynamic & Williams absolutely abused that power dynamic. You don't have to think it's a big deal if you don't think it is, there's no obligation to feel any specific way about this. But it's important not to misrepresent the reality of the situation.

Hi,

Even though you've clearly stated you didn't have a problem with it, we're advising you that we're outraged because even though we've only got a two to three sentence summary of a situation that was obviously more complex considering it took place over 4 years of the show being filmed, we've collectively decided that it was abuse, since you're obviously too stupid/powerless/uninformed to know when you're being oppressed or abused.

Regards,

The Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don’t think we’re quite at “The Cosby Show is now tainted” with Robin Williams. If something new and horrifying comes out about him, sure. Retroactively hate him. But you can’t really equate a guy who hosed with men and women as a dirty joke with a serial date rapist who drugged dozens of women.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

21 Muns posted:

Killing yourself is not a get-out-of-jail-free card

:thunk:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Come on seriously, it’s not like we are saying he should be brought back and then executed. At the risk of sounding like Matt Damon there are levels to this. If this was the only time this happened and it was never “worse” than this then a “robin Williams shouldn’t have done this and it’s not ok to excuse it” and then be on your way.

But “his movies made me feel like he’s a nice man” and “old woman excuses poo poo she shouldn’t” doesn’t mean we should forget what it is or was either.

I mean listen to yourselves. “It was the 70s, he was on drugs, he did it to everyone! He’s a goofball!”

That poo poo rightfully should not fly and it wouldn’t if it happened today (hopefully)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll just pee on his walk of fame star.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is there really any point to getting mad about behavior that no one involved claims to be victimized by?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given the pattern of these things, might be a good idea to reserve judgement for a while, because this might get someone to come out who does say they feel victimised by his behaviour. But until then, no need to try to jump the gun to try to claim a scalp. It's about solving a problem and preventing future harm, not about finding enemies to claim victory over.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's also the fact that he's literally dead already which means there's really no urgency at all.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If 2018 has taught me anything, it’s that utterly destroying someone’s reputation based on as little information as possible is arguably more important than ignoring anyone’s claims, however sedate and meaningless they might appear to be.

“Once at Christmas party I bumped into George Clooney and wouldn’t you know it, we were under the mistletoe and he smooched me!”

“Actually ma’am George Clooney mouth raped you.”

“But I love George Clooney and he’s so sweet and charm-“

“Raped your mouth, miss, with his mouth.”

-this thread

(No one bring up the Katy Perry mouth rape scene from American Idol, where she tricks an incel into making out with her and then he came out as like “that was really gross”)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you bumped into George Clooney under a mistletoe and he just kissed you right there on the spot, that’s not a good thing and is in fact bad.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/AnOpenSecret/status/978404217244172289

Shocking, I'm sure.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
Yup. He's finally hosed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This means some horrible story is going to come out in t-minus 48 hours isn't it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
His career is gonna go toes up akk akk akk

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Reading stories it's just declining to renew rather than immediate dismissal or cutting ties, so Nick might just be playing it safe with any potential breaks. Though even if there wasn't any imminent story I'd expect this to be a springboard.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wasn't this the exact guy that a whole bunch of people were up in arms about the dangers of leaping to conclusions about?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

Wasn't this the exact guy that a whole bunch of people were up in arms about the dangers of leaping to conclusions about?

Hey, you don't know. You don't know. You don't know.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Man, I can hardly believe that Dan Schneider may indeed have some dark, perverted goings-on within the network. He seems like such a genuine, kind-hearted fellow.

But really, I was honestly starting to believe he was never gonna face any consequences for the creepy poo poo he's done.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I don't see the harm in waiting until actual allegations surface. It's not like our saying "I'll bet X is next" actually helps anyone anywhere.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This literally has nothing to do with sexual assault; dude's just done working with Nickelodeon. Good for him; hope he enjoys his retirement (or whatever other project he's moving onto!). Please don't conflate cases where we have actual accusers and details of incidents with cases that are just salacious internet mobs driven by hate. If Dan Schneider were a creep, we would have found out about it a long time ago; he's an extremely important media figure. Nickelodeon isn't stupid, and Paramount is no Weinstein company. That said, if anything actually bad comes out about Dan I will eat my words on this. (It's not going to; he's fine.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

21 Muns posted:

If Dan Schneider were a creep, we would have found out about it a long time ago; he's an extremely important media figure.

I'm amazed that you wrote this with a straight face. Unless you are laughing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

21 Muns posted:

Please don't conflate cases where we have actual accusers and details of incidents with cases that are just salacious internet mobs driven by hate.

Isn't that exactly what you were doing with Robin Williams and saying he victimized a woman who already said she wasn't a victim?

e: ^^ ngl I've been 60% sure 21 Muns is a troll/doing a gimmick in thia thread for a while now

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm amazed that you wrote this with a straight face. Unless you are laughing.

I get what you're trying to say here, but before the story broke with, say, Weinstein, Weinstein wasn't who everyone was pointing at. They were all pointing at Dan Schneider. He's under tons of scrutiny, in a way that people who have actually turned out to be rapists (Weinstein, Spacey, CK, Ansari) have not. And that scrutiny is pretty clearly baseless if it's been this long and no one's managed to actually come up with anything.

esperterra posted:

Isn't that exactly what you were doing with Robin Williams and saying he victimized a woman who already said she wasn't a victim?

e: ^^ ngl I've been 60% sure 21 Muns is a troll/doing a gimmick in thia thread for a while now

You don't need to literally be a rapist to be worth removing from polite society.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

21 Muns posted:

This literally has nothing to do with sexual assault; dude's just done working with Nickelodeon. Good for him; hope he enjoys his retirement (or whatever other project he's moving onto!). Please don't conflate cases where we have actual accusers and details of incidents with cases that are just salacious internet mobs driven by hate. If Dan Schneider were a creep, we would have found out about it a long time ago; he's an extremely important media figure. Nickelodeon isn't stupid, and Paramount is no Weinstein company. That said, if anything actually bad comes out about Dan I will eat my words on this. (It's not going to; he's fine.)

i time traveled here from april 2018 just to say: lol

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

21 Muns posted:

I get what you're trying to say here, but before the story broke with, say, Weinstein, Weinstein wasn't who everyone was pointing at. They were all pointing at Dan Schneider. He's under tons of scrutiny, in a way that people who have actually turned out to be rapists (Weinstein, Spacey, CK, Ansari) have not. And that scrutiny is pretty clearly baseless if it's been this long and no one's managed to actually come up with anything.

Weinstein, Spacey and CK all had a shitload of smoke and rumours for loving years. They were exactly who people were looking at.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Spacey being gay and into young men/boys had been an open secret for as long as I can remember.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

21 Muns posted:

What a loving bizarre knee jerk response.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They've been full of hot takes ever since they started posting in here.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

esperterra posted:

Spacey being gay and into young men/boys had been an open secret for as long as I can remember.

Yeah, I mean I remember reading about Spacey like, 6-7 years ago. The CK thing was pretty well spoken of as well. And everybody seemed to hate Weinstein. Thing about Hollywood is you’re invincible until you’re not. And when you’re not, rumors get real real fast

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

exquisite tea posted:

This means some horrible story is going to come out in t-minus 48 hours isn't it.

That or Sumner Redstone's on his deathbed.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

21 Muns posted:

Nickelodeon isn't stupid, and Paramount is no Weinstein company.

Since everyone already got on you for convincing yourself that there was no smoke over Weinstein et al., I'm just going to point out that this is also really dumb.

Institutional sexism, rape culture, and exploitation are not the result of stupidity. The whole point of bringing scrutiny to the severity of the Weinstein company's horrific abuses is to educate people that the problem is not isolated, but rooted in ideology. To say 'Paramount is no Weinstein company' intrinsically undermines that entire project. This is what happens as superficial attempts to remain 'rational' inevitably devolves into rational denialism.

It's exactly as dumb as when folks get in a huff about white folks being called "devils," like it actually has any concrete effect on their social, cultural, political, and economic power and privilege. Oh, no, a rich white man is being accused of pedophilia because he has a peculiar fascination with little kids' feet! What sort of hatefulness of spirit could lead them to that intuition?

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

21 Muns posted:

There has never been anyone who accused Louis CK of rape, nor was any kind of conduct that would be considered rape a part of his confession.

Even if you count what Ansari did as rape (which is somewhat ambiguous), it's flat-out disingenuous to call CK a rapist rather than just a sexual assaulter.

As for Schneider, here's a long Twitter thread detailing posts made about him on Crazy Days and Nights. CDAN is not a wholly reliable source, but this thread does have the related circumstantial evidence against Schneider, which stretches back over 10 years.

https://twitter.com/JohnDoe78359022/status/978403425758171137

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Huh, and I was mostly guessing about Schneider having gotten Jamie-Lynn Spears pregnant, but looks like I'm not the only one who connected the dots.

He's basically been the fox in charge of the henhouse for decades now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always knew the Amanda Bynes but Dan Schneider’s tenure actually perfectly aligns with what I had always perceived as Nickelodeon’s “decade of sexy teens” and now that I have this info I’m gonna.. continue to not watch shows for pedophiles that hypersexualize children.

The JLSpears this is insane and also kind of lines of with Britney melting down so maybe becoming so famous that you accidentally got your sister raped by her producer is what actually drove her completely insane.

Jesus Hollywood is a wet dumpster fire

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I always knew the Amanda Bynes but Dan Schneider’s tenure actually perfectly aligns with what I had always perceived as Nickelodeon’s “decade of sexy teens” and now that I have this info I’m gonna.. continue to not watch shows for pedophiles that hypersexualize children.

The JLSpears this is insane and also kind of lines of with Britney melting down so maybe becoming so famous that you accidentally got your sister raped by her producer is what actually drove her completely insane.

Jesus Hollywood is a wet dumpster fire

I don't doubt it was a contributing factor in prolonging her mental break, but spears had her mental break in jan/Feb of 07, according to Wikipedia, ie the time when she shaved her hair.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Snowman_McK posted:

As soon as I saw Bakkoonn's tweet about it I immediately came back here to see if the guy who was talking about the rumors being a longtime 4chan-orchestrated smear campaign had decided to double down or not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I dunno, they make a bunch of insinuations but it's all based on the dude's own social media posting. When you're famous for literally grooming nubile teens, you should probably be more circumspect about the way you represent yourself.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That thread is loving crazy

tweens doing coke and being abused all the loving time

What the Christ is wrong with hollywood

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phi230 posted:

That thread is loving crazy

tweens doing coke and being abused all the loving time