Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Liberty sucks and so does everyone that goes there for the most part. gently caress William Byron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ungratek posted:

Liberty sucks and so does everyone that goes there for the most part. gently caress William Byron

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ungratek posted:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Liberty recently decided to make the jump to "big-time" college football. To do this, they hired the athletic director who got fired from Baylor for turning the football team into a rape factory that played football on Saturdays.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The only interesting thing about William Byron is he's an EA NASCAR Career Mode driver come to life.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

Liberty recently decided to make the jump to "big-time" college football. To do this, they hired the athletic director who got fired from Baylor for turning the football team into a rape factory that played football on Saturdays.

They also have a law school which punches out idiots who end up getting clerkships all around the south

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Peanut President posted:

It's a school founded by Jerry Falwell, a television preacher. His hits are:

Starting up the Moral Majority and telling his viewers to vote Republican which offended even other televangelists
Calling Martin Luther King "dangerous"
Supported Apartheid
Invented the "Bill Clinton is a serial killer" conspiracy
Said America deserved 9/11 because of all the "pagans and feminists"

also I'm pretty sure Liberty was founded as a whites-only school and only allowed integration when the IRS revoked its tax-exempt status.

Oh wow.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Peanut President posted:

It's a school founded by Jerry Falwell, a television preacher. His hits are:

Starting up the Moral Majority and telling his viewers to vote Republican which offended even other televangelists
Calling Martin Luther King "dangerous"
Supported Apartheid
Invented the "Bill Clinton is a serial killer" conspiracy
Said America deserved 9/11 because of all the "pagans and feminists"

also I'm pretty sure Liberty was founded as a whites-only school and only allowed integration when the IRS revoked its tax-exempt status.

My wife and I flipped the campus off driving past on the way to Appomattox Court House while wearing our Bluejackets jerseys on our "Suck It, South" portion of vacation.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

"Obviously, retail is under a lot of pressure and we have seen some defections," Phelps said. "The defections, to me, including Lowe's frankly -- this isn't a NASCAR issue. It is a retail issue.

"We wish Lowe's nothing but the best [after] the two decades in sponsorship they've had in this sport and the seven championships they enjoyed with Jimmie. But you could see kind of cracks in that system because they were not buying on television, they were not doing in-store promotions, they weren't doing NASCAR-themed creative. ... The business model is a challenge for them. We wish them well."
"There isn't a specific category that is going to replace [retail], that it's going to be pharmaceuticals or it's going to be technology or it's going to be data or it's going to be online retail," Phelps said. "The answer is, 'Yes, it's going to be all those things.'

"There isn't going to be one-for-one [as far as business types]. We're going to continue to make announcements over the coming weeks that just continue to showcase the strength of the sport, why brands want to be involved."

:tif:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/22861999/how-nascar-helps-teams-land-keep-sponsors

In case you wanted to know how much it costs to field a backmarker team:
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/22848334/nascar-bk-racing-income-statements-2015-2016-shows-costs-run-underfunded-race-team

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

quote:

"In my opinion, [Lowe's leaving] has nothing to do with the sport," Phelps said. "It has everything to do with the business model that they're in.

"And that's OK. ... The number of sponsors that are involved in our sport is at an all-time high. How they activate and what they're doing in the sport continues to change."

…is he loving serious? I can't believe they're trying to spin this like that.

Even if it's true that there are more companies sponsoring teams—and it probably is because of how many cars have split-season deals with different sponsors—the total amount of sponsorship dollars available to the sport overall is still way the gently caress down. There may be more companies involved but they're going to activate less overall because their investments are less in total. And Monster seems to be disinterested in promoting NASCAR with the same vigor that Nextel/Sprint or Winston (obviously) did. From the top down there's less activation and less promotion of the sport, even if there are more stakeholders involved.

:tif: indeed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bad poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

It's been 20 years, but remember when Square D spent money for Kenny Wallace to run midpack all year? That's not happening today.

Brent Dewar is actively Tweeting fans who question the sport at this point. He chirped Goodyear and Ford for not participating in FOX's side-by-side program and, when I suggested if IndyCar can do it, so should NASCAR, he said "It's not NASCAR".

Well...the concept came around 18 years ago and still hasn't become a full-race thing like it has in IndyCar so...I mean...it is NASCAR in a way.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's been 20 years, but remember when Square D spent money for Kenny Wallace to run midpack all year?

no i don't remember this, as bobby hamilton is the only square d driver that mattered

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
gently caress mid pack, people cruising around in 35th still had full time sponsors.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

GTA Online released a Hotring racing mode which uses a Chevy Lumina as the body style and is chock-full of NASCAR and Days of Thunder inspired liveries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyYXt3fPJvQ&t=111s

The full list is here: http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Hotring_Sabre#Liveries

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

gently caress mid pack, people cruising around in 35th still had full time sponsors.

And 38th!

Remember when NASCAR races had more than 38 cars? :smith:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

WindyMan posted:

And 38th!

Remember when NASCAR races had more than 38 cars? :smith:

It didn't cost 20 million to sponsor a car back then.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

daslog posted:

It didn't cost 20 million to sponsor a car back then.

Probably didn't cost 20 million to run, either.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey, PNC is going to be an Official Sponsor OF...

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/977176424892297216

...oh. :eng99:

Meanwhile, PNC sponsors Dixie in IndyCar. :tif:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 23, 2018

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That low interest rate joke somebody made about PNC Bank and Dixon would work even better for NASCAR.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/977609109427146753?s=19

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Truck race cancelled for rain. Now Sunday is a double header - Monster Cup then Truck Racing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh, it seems tomorrows action is all going to be on FS1. I do not have cable, is there a reliable streaming place anywhere for it? :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/justinjepsiejus/status/977717280716017664
https://twitter.com/BubbaWallace/status/977740831871393792

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I prefer this gem :allears:

https://twitter.com/bubbawallace/status/977731763815534592

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drat, they are missing their chance to do some snow racing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

drat, they are missing their chance to do some snow racing.

I mean you are running trucks no?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Trucks is at 11 am tomorrow, Cup race is about 2 pm tomorrow.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Trucks is at 11 am tomorrow, Cup race is about 2 pm tomorrow.

Sorry boss you ain't getting that poo poo you thought you might be getting.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Truck race, a legit debris caution with 35 laps to go.

For some reason, the first thought that popped into my head was to try to use a drone to clear the debris without throwing a caution.

That's just silly. NASCAR is going to throw the caution no matter what, and they can't afford drones anyway!!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

Truck race, a legit debris caution with 35 laps to go.

For some reason, the first thought that popped into my head was to try to use a drone to clear the debris without throwing a caution.

That's just silly. NASCAR is going to throw the caution no matter what, and they can't afford drones anyway!!

Congrats, the drone is now more debris.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

Congrats, the drone is now more debris.

Better than the track dryer truck.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Elephanthead posted:

Better than the track dryer truck.

Juan left the series like 5 years ago dude

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ay, good for Clint.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The NASCAR Gods hath freed Clint Bowyer from his winless streak.

Truck race was good. That race sucked.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
If a race happened on a Monday and no one watched it did it really happen

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I wish NASCAR would be good again. I want to keep watching but won't if I know a goddamn short track race is going to be boring like that. They're supposed to be appointment television!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

I wish NASCAR would be good again. I want to keep watching but won't if I know a goddamn short track race is going to be boring like that. They're supposed to be appointment television!

They used up all the magic last fall.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm not a Clint fan but a different winner is refreshing. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
That was a very tame Martinsville. I'm not looking for a wreckfest but that was about as polite as a race gets at Martinsville. Not much to say other than that.

The stands though...yea I know it's Monday but you know the sport is in a bad spot when the track president says "hey, if you bought a ticket for one event, you can come to the other for free today." I think it was the right call and good of him to do, but there's no way you do that if times are good.

I don't know where the sport is going to go in the next five years honestly. Am I the only one that has noticed the saturation of commercials for those kid toys for laser tag and zit/whiteheads? Holy hell, it's like I'm watching early Saturday morning cartoons or very late/early morning basic cable. The funding situation isn't going to be fixed by laying off a few crew members and standardizing the air guns. We're looking at a fundamental shift in the sport- perhaps on par with the shift that happened in the early 70s as factory support dried up. The sport did survive that, and thrived, so it is possible that the sport's best days are still ahead. But viewing habits and demographics are shifting really quickly- even ratings for the NFL are down- and it seems hard to believe that NASCAR is ever going to regain the viewership from the early Aughts. During the race, Mike Joy at one point mentioned a program that they've started, something like "Rebuild the fanbase" and that really surprised me. While they have acknowledged the challenges the sport is facing in passing, this seemed like a really big deal because it makes it clear that the situation is critical.