Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The supercap is generally only sized long enough to power the camera down safely when it loses power - i.e. a handful of seconds. You want the camera powered anytime you want it recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

The supercap is generally only sized long enough to power the camera down safely when it loses power - i.e. a handful of seconds. You want the camera powered anytime you want it recording.

Oh! Okay that makes perfect sense. It talked about "this special kind of battery won't die in the cold Canadian winters (lol)" so I wasn't sure exactly what it meant, but what you said makes sense, thanks.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
1) It lasts just long enough for the camera to finish writing to the SD card and power down gracefully. That's it.

It will not turn on at all without external power connected.

2) I have the same camera.. with 32GB and recording at 1440p I get slightly over 3 hours. I've never tried 1080/60, though I imagine it would be close given the higher frame rate.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

stevewm posted:

1) It lasts just long enough for the camera to finish writing to the SD card and power down gracefully. That's it.

It will not turn on at all without external power connected.

2) I have the same camera.. with 32GB and recording at 1440p I get slightly over 3 hours. I've never tried 1080/60, though I imagine it would be close given the higher frame rate.

Thanks very much.

I was slightly mistaken on the microsd card, I have a 64gb one of these, I'm guessing this will be more than sufficient.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks very much.

I was slightly mistaken on the microsd card, I have a 64gb one of these, I'm guessing this will be more than sufficient.

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've read that "normal" SD cards are not made to withstand the constant writing that a dash cam puts out. Apparently they are more prone to failure. There are SD cards that allege to be better for that sort of high volume overwriting.

No idea if it's a marketing gimmick or not, because I know nothing about memory. I've just seen that pop up in discussions online when I was researching cams.

I'd love to know if there's truth to it, because I have a 64gb card just sitting around unused.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

incogneato posted:

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've read that "normal" SD cards are not made to withstand the constant writing that a dash cam puts out. Apparently they are more prone to failure. There are SD cards that allege to be better for that sort of high volume overwriting.

No idea if it's a marketing gimmick or not, because I know nothing about memory. I've just seen that pop up in discussions online when I was researching cams.

I'd love to know if there's truth to it, because I have a 64gb card just sitting around unused.

You'll just have a shorter lifespan and need to replace it sooner. SD cards are not really made for the constant write/erase of a dashcam recording for hours on end. Like instead of being able to completely rewrite itself 1000 times, a bad one can only do it 500 times. You should always check your sd card and make sure it is writing and recording properly, and that you can take the recordings off the dashcam.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks very much.

I just got the same model of dashcam, too - its first run was yesterday. I've got a 64gb microSD card as well (although I have a Transcend High Endurance card) and just under two hours 1080p at 60fps used up a little over 16GB, so it'll definitely go for a fair while, before needing to overwrite old data.

Also, just an FYI - I've read online that apparently Samsung (and I think Sandisk?) void your warranty if you use their cards in dashcams, as they seem to die before too long when used in this way. (EDIT: Beaten!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 2, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good call, it was a free card I got from somewhere so it'll do for a start, I'll pick up one of those high endure ones before long

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I put a Strontium 32GB card in my A118 2-3 years ago and it continues to record just fine to this day, and I commute two hours at least every day. I'm afraid to even touch it because it's a magical SD card.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

8ender posted:

I put a Strontium 32GB card in my A118 2-3 years ago and it continues to record just fine to this day, and I commute two hours at least every day. I'm afraid to even touch it because it's a magical SD card.

Like, do you pull files off it on a regular basis or just assume it records fine?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FWIW, I rocked the same class 4 Transcend 32GB card for several years in my G1W, and it never had an issue.

The Sandisk 32GB I have now, however, is already randomly corrupting. This card is only a couple of months old (Sandisk Ultra [edit: ultra plus]). Probably going to order a Transcend high endurance; the only reason I'm not using the old Transcend card today is my current cam bitched about needing a faster card.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 2, 2018

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Yeah, it appears the Sandisk Ultras are notorious for failing.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Yeah, I ended up switching to Samsung cards after I had multiple Sandisks fail on me. Haven't had an issue since.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Derp. It's an Ultra Plus. Still, it wasn't my first choice, but I got caught off guard by the new cam wanting a class 6 card or faster, so I was limited to what I could get at Walmart at midnight.

I've found if I format it once a week or so, it seems to be fine, but if I let it go too long I'll get a message about the card needing to be formatted. Which is great when it pops up, as the cam is behind my mirror... so I don't notice the message unless I lean way over. :sigh:

It'd be nice if it gave some kind of audible warning if the card had issues (like it does if no card is inserted).

gently caress it.. gonna order a Transcend card - their "Premium 400X" for now, since their high endurance cards are double the price, but I'll step up to their actual high endurance later. The basic Transcend card I had in my G1W lasted several years with no issues.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 2, 2018

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Like, do you pull files off it on a regular basis or just assume it records fine?

I'd say I'm pulling files off it every two months or so. They're always fine.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I had the windshield replaced in my truck, so I'm having to install a new mount for my A119. The old one's adhesive was pretty gnarly after removal, and the replacements were cheap enough on Amazon to where I just ordered another GPS mount. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to wire it into the truck's power supply, since I have no trim that I can hide the cables under.

I also received one of these youtube comments on that dashcam crash I recorded a few months ago. Has anyone had any interaction with these types?

I'm tempted to send the e-mail to see what happens.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Luxrage posted:

I also received one of these youtube comments on that dashcam crash I recorded a few months ago. Has anyone had any interaction with these types?

I did that once, as soon as I mentioned licensing fees, they stopped responding to my emails.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Luxrage posted:

I had the windshield replaced in my truck, so I'm having to install a new mount for my A119. The old one's adhesive was pretty gnarly after removal, and the replacements were cheap enough on Amazon to where I just ordered another GPS mount. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to wire it into the truck's power supply, since I have no trim that I can hide the cables under.

I was flooded with them despite the video being private (I had shared it in /r/roadcams). I ignored them.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Got a new hatchback car where my existing A118 rear dashcam isn't really a good fit to go onto the hatch/window. So I'm currently playing with a couple of neodymium magnets to stick the mount to the roof liner as the 3M sticky mounts don't really stay stuck to the fabric.

Due to the shape of the roofliner theres probably half an inch gap between the fabric and the metal of the roof, but the magnets appear to holding. There is some twisting so I may try a combination of some thin double-sided sticky tape and the magnet. Alternatively I could go for a stronger magnet but think that could lead to crushing the roof liner.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think powerful magnets and sensitive electronic equipment may be a bad combination. Why not use something like this, and stick directly on glass? Woks for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773FXVKL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

I think powerful magnets and sensitive electronic equipment may be a bad combination. Why not use something like this, and stick directly on glass? Woks for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773FXVKL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Magnets messing with electronics is the exception.

It’s fine unless the dashcam writes to floppies or has a CRT screen.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Magnets messing with electronics is the exception.

It’s fine unless the dashcam writes to floppies or has a CRT screen.

just degauss your dashcam regularly.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's the monthly Dash Cam Owners Australia compilation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV2NPTk-IXY

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

The tow rope breaking at 5 minutes got a legitimate chuckle out of me.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So I meant to mention this story I heard from a trucker at my work's yard about a month ago. And I'm sure this mostly applies to truckers, but if you are a person that actually obeys the speed limit, the gps/speed monitor on your dashcam can save you.

The story goes is that the guy was driving along and some lady pull out of a trailer park in front of him. It wasn't a straight t-bone, but close. Cop arrived and she broke into a story about the trucker speeding. Being an african american trucker brings a lot of bias before any action has been reviewed and the cop was ready to side with her. Luckily, he had a dashcam which he showed the cop that he was actually driving under the speed limit. Cop was still trying to find a reason to pin a ticket on hi, but ended up with nothing. So if you do obey without stretching the rules unlike what most everyone does, the speed tracker can help you.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The problem is, if he was going 1mph over the speed limit the lady would have a bullshit case against the guy. You know there's some lawyer out there who'd make that trucker miserable over 1mph.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

chrisgt posted:

The problem is, if he was going 1mph over the speed limit the lady would have a bullshit case against the guy. You know there's some lawyer out there who'd make that trucker miserable over 1mph.

Correct, which is why I mentioned it good for those that are sure to be right at the speed limit or driving under it. Mostly under it for the reason you said.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Correct, which is why I mentioned it good for those that are sure to be right at the speed limit or driving under it. Mostly under it for the reason you said.

And since literally everyone does 1mph over the speed limit sometimes, GPS is a terrible idea.
Well, people who never do 1mph over are usually the people who always go 10mph under, and that's more dangerous...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Some truckers have actual speed limiters installed on their (often company-owned) trucks, so they literally cannot speed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Leperflesh posted:

Some truckers have actual speed limiters installed on their (often company-owned) trucks, so they literally cannot speed.
As far as I'm aware those limiters are pretty much exclusively fixed maximums rather than adapting to the actual limits with GPS or camera systems. Usually set somewhere around 65 MPH, give or take a few.

That still means speeding is possible on all surface streets, in construction zones, and on certain unfortunate highways regulated by terrible people.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
That's more about fuel efficiency than speeding anyway, roughly every 10 mph past 40 doubles the fuel you burn on a truck.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr60eLzJ4TU

"Share the road" doesn't mean you get to take the oncoming lane, blind, whenever you feel like you gotta be in front of a bike. I saw the bike, then the car, and was more afraid he'd sideswipe the bike jumping back in his lane than hit me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NoWake posted:

"Share the road" doesn't mean you get to take the oncoming lane, blind, whenever you feel like you gotta be in front of a bike. I saw the bike, then the car, and was more afraid he'd sideswipe the bike jumping back in his lane than hit me.

I saw this yesterday with a truck pulling over the centre to pass a bike and the SUV following like a wart on its arse.

They did this right before a small bridge

Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic. It’s possible the trucker was high enough to see over the bridge, but the SUV driver definitely couldn’t.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NoWake posted:

Man, slowing down there would take that guy 2 seconds.
ALso, the cyclist should be further out in the lane, it discourages unsafe passes like that. Riding the white line is dangerious.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

nm posted:

Man, slowing down there would take that guy 2 seconds.
ALso, the cyclist should be further out in the lane, it discourages unsafe passes like that. Riding the white line is dangerious.

In the cyclist's defense, there isn't any road over the white line, the white line is literally on the edge of the bitumen and probably all cracked up and full of holes. I hate riding on roads like that because you're either in the cabbage or half in the road.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

chrisgt posted:

In the cyclist's defense, there isn't any road over the white line, the white line is literally on the edge of the bitumen and probably all cracked up and full of holes. I hate riding on roads like that because you're either in the cabbage or half in the road.

He means the cyclist should be in the middle of the lane rather than the edge so that the cars don't try to squeeze by unsafely.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Stultus Maximus posted:

He means the cyclist should be in the middle of the lane rather than the edge so that the cars don't try to squeeze by unsafely.

That works in cities where speed differentials aren't as high, but out in the country that seems like a sure-fired way to get dead.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dave Inc. posted:

That works in cities where speed differentials aren't as high, but out in the country that seems like a sure-fired way to get dead.

I'm not saying it's something I do. My nerves aren't up to it. But they say it is safer than encouraging drivers to blow past you in the same lane.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You Am I posted:

What's with all the people spinning out while turning at intersections? Do Utes have so little traction they can't gently turn and accelerate at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FuturePastNow posted:

What's with all the people spinning out while turning at intersections? Do Utes have so little traction they can't gently turn and accelerate at the same time?

Gotta get that oversteer maaaaaaate

Usually a combination of poor arsed idiots with poo poo tyres and no real driving experience. A good example is a heap of RWD Falcons and Commodores with standard steel rimmed wheels on the back that are half the width of the front tyres