Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
This is so peak audiophile: $1600 DAC

Wildly overpriced, check.
Wildly overengineered in the wrong ways like avoiding op-amps, no negative feedback, class-A discrete amps for driving headphones, huge linear power supplies, check.
Garbage performance, why I never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And that’s the direct from China price too. Put an American name and address on, and they’d probably want $5,000.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What is negative feedback supposed to be doing that is so awful? The only thing I can think is that it appeals to people who think the simplest circuit is always the best. I can see the appeal of the idea but O Lord does that not hold up in electronics

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It lets the pure audio signal through unmolested by negative waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyh-JpWdGmQ

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Palladium posted:

Wildly overengineered in the wrong ways like avoiding op-amps, no negative feedback, class-A discrete amps for driving headphones, huge linear power supplies, check.

That revew is a good, if unintentional, critique of audiophilia. Not only do you have an incredibly overpriced bit of gear that outputs total garbage (by modern standards) when measured objectively, but:

quote:

I could detect no difference in bass or mid-frequencies. In high-frequencies though, there was a subtle difference. They were a bit more emphasized in Audio-gd which gave a slightly more airy and open sound to Audio-gd. But as I focused on them, I realized the high notes are being distorted with the highs having a "sizzle" to them. That exaggerated their presence which could be to some people's liking. For me, as I focused on the same in Topping DX7s, I realized they were very clean and well defined whereas they were "blown" on the Audio-gd NFB-27.38 leading me to prefer the Topping version better.

I should emphasize that the above is very subtle effect. If I did not focus on it, I would find the two DACs to sound the same. Then again, younger people with better high frequency hearing than me will detect the above effect better than me which may lead them to more preference or dislike as the case may be. If you are older than 50, you can safely go with my impressions.

This thing is pumping out distortion and noise at levels way higher (THD+N hovered around -50db) than where the the differences audiophiles obsess over usually are, and he could still only barely hear a difference when he was specifically looking for it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Panty Saluter posted:

What is negative feedback supposed to be doing that is so awful? The only thing I can think is that it appeals to people who think the simplest circuit is always the best. I can see the appeal of the idea but O Lord does that not hold up in electronics

Audiophiles claim makes the sound "harsh and sterile and digital", and because it isn't instant (feedback is delayed a few nanoseconds), they claim it causes timing errors. What it actually does is lower distortion and raise the damping factor, both of which are good.

That cleans up the low-end, which easily gets bloated and woolly on amps with low damping factor, such as single-ended triode amps and tube amps with output transformers. That just means you need speakers with actual low end, instead of faking it like a lot of audiophile darling designs.

That video of Mr. Qvortrup from Audio Note claiming his speakers with 8" woofers put speakers with multiple 15" woofers to shame, you just have to put them in a corner? That's exactly this same delusion, and people who've never heard good bass will believe it, because boomy bass sounds huge and impressive, and it probably isn't too bad with something like a jazz quartet. But play anything complicated and it just becomes a mess.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 25, 2018

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

That video of Mr. Qvortrup from Audio Note claiming his speakers with 8" woofers put speakers with multiple 15" woofers to shame, you just have to put them in a corner? That's exactly this same delusion, and people who've never heard good bass will believe it, because boomy bass sounds huge and impressive, and it probably isn't too bad with something like a jazz quartet. But play anything complicated and it just becomes a mess.

so, a good jazz quartet? :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Considering the boring dreck most audiophiles listen to, yeah :v:

But I was think something extremely layered and dense and crowded, unlike typically sparse jazz arrangements.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KozmoNaut posted:

Considering the boring dreck most audiophiles listen to, yeah :v:

But I was think something extremely layered and dense and crowded, unlike typically sparse jazz arrangements.

Good jazz are flawless technical masterpieces yet somehow utterly boring to listen to IMO.

*runs away*.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Palladium posted:

Good jazz are flawless technical masterpieces yet somehow utterly boring to listen to IMO.

*runs away*.

you're not alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96UXGj6NMBI

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

audiophiles really do have terrible music taste tho

*buys $10k + setup*
*listens to foo fighters*

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Foo Fighters? That's a new one. I always thought the audophile standard was Dark Side of the Moon and Test Record #14.

I know it's been said so many times already, but audiophiles don't listen to music, they listen to equipment

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

5-HT posted:

audiophiles really do have terrible music taste tho

*buys $10k + setup*
*listens to foo fighters*

No. Hell no.

I need an expensive setup to really let the snare drum in this masterpiece ring clear and bright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9yoebrgzYA

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

:wtc:

I clicked on a couple other of their videos and that's actually how he has his snare

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a brutal slamming death metal thing, *~*you wouldn't understand*~*.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Dark Side of the Moon

I'm a middle-aged dad -- fight me! You'll be dissing Led Zeppelin next...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Clarence posted:

You'll want that $10K stereo to hear the full subtle nuances of Jon Bonham's squeaky pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KLe2f0GHzQ

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Clarence posted:

Nah, Dark Side is good. It is ridiculously overplayed though, and I've found people who think it's the best album ever tend to have pretty boring and unadventurous taste in music. These days I like Dub Side of the Moon way more.

Led Zeppelin is cool too

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6bkaVGnvpE

quote:

A client paid for this project as part of his home entertainment system. Following turning, the client immersed the wood in a specially fabricated steel vacuum drum. Instead of using pure tung oil which he thought "too expensive", he decided to save money and used hardware-store spar varnish, a foul-smelling finish, in an attempt to make the wood translucent, similar to Cook Island / Norfolk Pine. It told him the maple would not become translucent but he persisted. The speaker came out with such chemical smell that it was ruined for use in any home. The person that paid for this project had more money than common sense. He paid me $6000 and gave me an opportunity to stretch my talents as a wood turner.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Well, that WAS a gorgeous piece of wood.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The base conceit of audiophiles is their sheer determination that they know better than everyone else, including people who design and manufacture electronics for a living as well as the people who record and mix the music .

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

AlexDeGruven posted:

Well, that WAS a gorgeous piece of wood.

actually it looked like a giant piece of poo poo before and after it was turned. it was basically a big tree tumor and i cant imagine it's inconsistencies in "grain" would do very well for the acoustics either.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Walnut is an interesting beast. I happen to really like it.

I do, however agree that the acoustics are probably inconsistent at best because of the way it grows, but I think the aesthetics would be lovely if the customer wasn't a complete fuckwit.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

qirex posted:

The base conceit of audiophiles is their sheer determination that they know better than everyone else, including people who design and manufacture electronics for a living as well as the people who record and mix the music .

it seriously is funny when you realize the 3.5mm jack dongle from apple outperforms most other passive dac solutions out there

https://kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DACs are also really easy to make if you know what you're doing.

All you need is a bunch of resistors.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Spent $0 on my dac and amp since Amazon hosed up

Thanks for a $700 combo unit that measures insanely good Jeff!

Of course I end up using airpods 90% of the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

5-HT posted:

it seriously is funny when you realize the 3.5mm jack dongle from apple outperforms most other passive dac solutions out there

https://kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

Kens not a reliable source, but I hope he’s right about this one.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Apple dongle is known to measure pretty well. Back when fancy DACs were more of a thing a good one like a Burr/Brown was ~$20/chip but that was 25 years ago and now you can get an 8 channel DSD monster thing for like 15 cents, maybe $2 if it's some boutique model. I think at this point even Benchmark is like "it doesn't sound different but it measures slightly better so here's a new model."

These new companies like Shiit, Audiogd, etc. are eating the market that "true" audiophile companies left behind pricewise.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 27, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Palladium posted:

$1600 and the manufacturer can't figure out how to make it Class 2 compliant?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

grack posted:

$1600 and the manufacturer can't figure out how to make it Class 2 compliant?

Class 2 shrinks the Soundstage. If you want builder-grade sound then that's ok for you. Some of us want better.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Palladium posted:

*runs away*.
If you find Kind of Blue, Time Out, or Mingus Ah Um utterly boring, you are an utterly boring person.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What's sad is I can't really tell if this is an April fool's joke or not.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What does your heart say

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bet it improves the soundstage to unprecedented levels just by sitting there.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Apparently it's legit and the announcement date is just bad timing.

I'm sure McIntosh stuff sounds good but I can't get over how ugly it all is. It's like audiophile Oakley. To their credit they apply their awkward typography, glass and neon blue very consistently across their whole product line, though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I actually kind of dig the aesthetic. It's Marantz I can't do. I would try a PM6006 if it wasn't so fuckin ugly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I wanted to try my hand at building some of these for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkyGDqU7xA

I have access to some tone wood pretty cheap, so I'm kind of excited to hear what this could sound like.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I actually kind of dig the aesthetic. It's Marantz I can't do. I would try a PM6006 if it wasn't so fuckin ugly.
I think their stuff looks much better in photos, in real life the controls are too small and spaced strangely and the branding is too big.

Marantz stereo stuff seems pretty unremarkable to me, I hate the tiny "porthole" screen on their A/V receivers, apparently they got so many complaints about it that they added a second, larger screen to their high-end stuff:

I think British* companies like NAD, Cambridge and Naim have great design, also the new Anthem stereo stuff is a nice way to integrate a screen. Their A/V receivers are powerfully ugly, though. The worst stuff is always the crazy high-end 6 figure esoterica

*none British-owned anymore I think

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

*dry heave*

The PT cruiser thing is especially shameful because their design used to be so good.

IMO Peachtree has the best design of the high-end companies, even if the internals don't match the build quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

qirex posted:

What's sad is I can't really tell if this is an April fool's joke or not.

My gut tells me they built it in response to customer demand.