Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Asiina posted:

Rhjamiz is also new, this is his first game (at least here). Also Little Mac falls under the hard lurker category to me. Is there any particular reason why he stands out for you?

I don't think I ever read the rules closely enough to notice the lurker rule about the free vig kill, which would put Little Mac at the top of my "gently caress it, let's lynch a lurker" list because IcePhoenix while not new has been gone a while and has expressed his difficulty posting so I'd be more likely to give him some leeway. I have no belief that Little Mac will come back and participate (if you're going to show up LM and tell me to gently caress off for this comment then prove me wrong).

Oh wait yeah he is new, okay, he’s off the list

Mac’s posts are all setup spec and flavor arguments without the Mord-drive to back them into feeling like anything but avoiding actual contribution, he’s lurking but what he’s actually posted is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Crazyeyes posted:

So what other people have stated is correct, but in case you are particularly new, there are also games that have plurality lynches, where whoever is in the lead is killed. Town need to be especially careful voting in this case.

I would take Mon's comment with a grain of salt. He could mean any number of things by saying that.

That's a fair point but I also feel like they've been pretty consistent in their thought process and clear on their reasoning

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

b-minus1 posted:

just reread most of the thread. here are my completely unsupported scum leans:
jeabus
dancer
tobbs
rhjamiz
sal

thanks for reading
BTW, if b-minus1 does flip Scum, I'd like to note a post from Scum b-minus1 in Westworld, (bold brackets are my additions):

b-minus1 IN WESTWORLD AS SCUM posted:

Lean scum: 50 pounds [SCUM], AA [SCUM], lando [SCUM], rf [Town]

Lean town: tobbs [Town], lumpen [Town], merk [Scum Godfather], KB [Town], mmt [Town]
Neutral on everyone else
He may have learned his lesson, but this is some meta, if he's Scum he may be likely to bus ridiculously hard.

Especially interesting since his list doesn't coincide with anything he's posted about previously, no explanations, no vote.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
yeah i didnt realize i bussed my whole team on d1 in westworld until later in the game lol. and was amazed that nobody seemed to pick up on that after i was killed.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

It's never fun. Playing this is never fun.

Every single loving game I've played I've been jumped on for just having the loving gall to post.

And posting isn't easy for me. I'm a natural lurker. I have to loving work up to posting, and even then, it's hard for me to even compose my words in a way that feels satisfactory to me.

I'm not even that good a scumhunter.

So to see any effort I make so callously shot down gets me loving mad, in a way that's not healthy for me.

Yesterday, instead of reading this thread, I went and caught up on Dragon Ball Super, and had a nice sleep.It felt great!

Today I read the thread and immediately felt like poo poo again.

I shouldn't have signed up.

If you are having such a miserable time, im happy to vote you out of the game based on it being a mercy for you but also the comment about breakdowns normally equalling scum historically.

##vote Jeabus Mahogany

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

It's never fun. Playing this is never fun.

Every single loving game I've played I've been jumped on for just having the loving gall to post.

And posting isn't easy for me. I'm a natural lurker. I have to loving work up to posting, and even then, it's hard for me to even compose my words in a way that feels satisfactory to me.

I'm not even that good a scumhunter.

So to see any effort I make so callously shot down gets me loving mad, in a way that's not healthy for me.

Yesterday, instead of reading this thread, I went and caught up on Dragon Ball Super, and had a nice sleep.It felt great!

Today I read the thread and immediately felt like poo poo again.

I shouldn't have signed up.

To be fair this is the first game I think I've EVER played in where I haven't been called names and dog piled on for no discernable reason. For a long time I was super annoyed by it, so i kind of see you're coming from, but it's important to accept that it's an almost necessary part of the game to get under people's skin and pick each other apart.

I say that to say this: You cannot be the kind of person that gets as upset as you claim to over this and play, let alone enjoy, mafia. It's a goddamn game. Don't take it so seriously. I assure you it isn't worth it and it doesn't matter enough to get worked up over like this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

gently caress off

:shrug:

I’m not trying to pile on, but I think you’re scum.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Crazyeyes posted:

I say that to say this: You cannot be the kind of person that gets as upset as you claim to over this and play, let alone enjoy, mafia. It's a goddamn game. Don't take it so seriously. I assure you it isn't worth it and it doesn't matter enough to get worked up over like this.

I don't want to, I just do.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

willie_dee posted:

the comment about breakdowns normally equalling scum historically.

FWIW, I disagree with that theory, just to stir the pot a bit. I've seen plenty of town breakdowns. I've done a town breakdown. I think it's alignment neutral in general unless it is a meta for a particular person.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

gently caress, sent the PM, I'll replace out. I'm not in the right place for this. Sorry this shat up your thread, Nat 20

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The players I'm most willing to trust right now are 50 and Monathin.

I feel like much of our d1 discussion centered around the Lumpen/Mord thing, and eventually Xad stepped into that with the Android 14 claim. Though I voted Mord yesterday, I unvoted because the whole situation feels murky to me, like a scum player saw town players having a fight and didn't feel the need to step in. I wouldn't firmly say those three are town, but right now I would lean that way.

I find willie_dee to be a bit suspect because I think it's odd to just vote out of retaliation, and then say it was newbie retaliation as if it was just a normal thing. I can't say it isn't but as a newbie myself I think that's somewhat weird.

Jeabus- I don't necessarily think you're scum but I would say maybe if this is making you feel so bad you should ask the mod the bring in the replacement player since d1 isn't quite over yet? (Assuming I read the rule right). I actually kind of want to believe you just because of what you're saying. If I had to vote for you I'd kind of feel bad because "got emotionally invested" isn't enough for me to think you're scum.

The player I most strongly think is scum is b-minus. Currently heat is on b-minus, one of the players leaning on them is on my list of players I'm most willing to trust, and I find b-minus' responses at this time more inflammatory than anything. You say it's a waste of time to keep responding if you're just going to be lynched and you're not taking day 1 too seriously but you seem pretty upset and also you keep responding in spite of saying that. As it's been pointed out, you also posted a list of reads and haven't well supported them. Because of that, at this time you are the candidate I feel most confident about.

##vote b-minus1

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I don't want to, I just do.

Well if it's truly out of your control, I don't really know what to say. The vast amount of content generated has nothing to do with you so you're essentially getting upset over other people being mean to people not you.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

gently caress, sent the PM, I'll replace out. I'm not in the right place for this. Sorry this shat up your thread, Nat 20

You didn’t poo poo up the thread any worse than generally happens in any mafia game, imo

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

FWIW, I disagree with that theory, just to stir the pot a bit. I've seen plenty of town breakdowns. I've done a town breakdown. I think it's alignment neutral in general unless it is a meta for a particular person.

I think it says more about the player than their alignment personally.

grand theft grotto posted:

I find willie_dee to be a bit suspect because I think it's odd to just vote out of retaliation, and then say it was newbie retaliation as if it was just a normal thing. I can't say it isn't but as a newbie myself I think that's somewhat weird.

I noticed this as well and I had to do a double take. It was certainly a strange thing to admit. I blame new player syndrome, but worth further review.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Whoa whoa whoa let's back up here for a sec. You, at first, suggest that you wholly agree with Asiina but then by the end of it make a case that they are scummy because they think Mord's case is scummy? What's your actual position here because I'm confused

Uh, no? I didn't say I wholly agreed with asiina. I agreed that I didn't know what 50s posts were about. I also disagree with asiina that mord's actions are scummy, and that makes me a bit suspicious of her.

quote:

I'm also still waiting for you to elaborate on your earlier point:

quote:

I feel like this is reaching, and is trying to set a false narrative

Mord later claims, on his own and states his reasoning for doing so. So what exactly are you accusing me of?

Are you saying I'm scum or are you throwing out accusations; in an attempt to muddy the waters? This also goes for the Asiina with regards to muddying the conversation

I didn't like how you basically goaded Mord into claiming, which he did not have to do, especially this early in the game. That seemed scummy to me. It doesn't matter if he made the decision later himself, you still suggested that he should do it first.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

You know what? No. I'm not gonna traipse out of here a loving mess. I will finish this loving game.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Crazyeyes posted:

To be fair this is the first game I think I've EVER played in where I haven't been called names and dog piled on for no discernable reason.

u smell dumbo breath

##vote fifty

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

You know what? No. I'm not gonna traipse out of here a loving mess. I will finish this loving game.

Bold words. Makes your whole meltdown look dumb, but I like your gumption.

Gimme two names of likely scum, and 2 of town.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

flerp posted:

u smell dumbo breath

##vote fifty

Why do you hurt me so, Flerp-sempai?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

You know what stood out to me?

willie_dee posted:

If you are having such a miserable time, im happy to vote you out of the game based on it being a mercy for you but also the comment about breakdowns normally equalling scum historically.

##vote Jeabus Mahogany

This post.

What

the

gently caress

is this post

This is a scum post. Don't waste a town vote on a mercy kill, there are ways for me to step out if I wish. That second part screams a weak justification for scum to jump on an easy target.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Crazyeyes posted:

Why do you hurt me so, Flerp-sempai?

i just wanted to make sure u got the authentic mafia experience

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

The player I most strongly think is scum is b-minus. Currently heat is on b-minus, one of the players leaning on them is on my list of players I'm most willing to trust, and I find b-minus' responses at this time more inflammatory than anything. You say it's a waste of time to keep responding if you're just going to be lynched and you're not taking day 1 too seriously but you seem pretty upset and also you keep responding in spite of saying that. As it's been pointed out, you also posted a list of reads and haven't well supported them. Because of that, at this time you are the candidate I feel most confident about.

##vote b-minus1
what a strange post. You strongly think i'm scum, but your case against me is mainly a critique of my playstyle. Do you actually believe that i'm scum, or are you just using this as a reason to vote to lynch me?

I keep responding because i would like to continue playing the game, and annoyed that im being run out of the game by a few people that dont like my posts.
imo im playing d1 like i always do as town: read the thread, post some brief reads, and move on. you absolutely will not get paragraph style posts from me. it's just not going to happen. especially this early in the game, because i don't have actual information to contribute to the thread at this point.
i suppose i should have taken lumpen's post more seriously and just answered him right away. but he was such a dick lol, and that post was so over the top. i literally laughed out loud when i first read it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

This post.

What

the

gently caress

is this post

This is a scum post. Don't waste a town vote on a mercy kill, there are ways for me to step out if I wish. That second part screams a weak justification for scum to jump on an easy target.

I saw that post and casually brushed it off as dumb new person, but it does have a certain apathetic tone to it I could believe was from a scum player. There is realistically no way you would be lynched today, so it's a safe thing to do for it's meaninglessness.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

Bold words. Makes your whole meltdown look dumb, but I like your gumption.

Gimme two names of likely scum, and 2 of town.

I still don't like the way chaoslord and Atomic Soda conveniently threw shade on me in quick succession. It feels like trying to steer the conversation.

At this point, I'm willing to believe Lumpen's and Xad's claims. I have a dumb flavour theory about why those two roles would be town, and if it's true, one of them will likely die tonight.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

b-minus1 posted:

what a strange post. You strongly think i'm scum, but your case against me is mainly a critique of my playstyle. Do you actually believe that i'm scum, or are you just using this as a reason to vote to lynch me?

I keep responding because i would like to continue playing the game, and annoyed that im being run out of the game by a few people that dont like my posts.
imo im playing d1 like i always do as town: read the thread, post some brief reads, and move on. you absolutely will not get paragraph style posts from me. it's just not going to happen. especially this early in the game, because i don't have actual information to contribute to the thread at this point.
i suppose i should have taken lumpen's post more seriously and just answered him right away. but he was such a dick lol, and that post was so over the top. i literally laughed out loud when i first read it.

Lumpen never stops being a dick. He thinks it's part of his charm.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

This post.

What

the

gently caress

is this post

yeah ive been keeping an eye on big willie style, and his posts definitely have a scummy vibe to them. what are your thoughts on rhjamiz or gtg?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

This post.

What

the

gently caress

is this post

This is a good argument. My vote is currently on b-minus1 but I'm not unwilling to change it. I want to hear willie_dee's response. I'd also like to know exactly why they'd toss out a "retaliation vote." I could understand if we had all gone "Yeah Mord's right" and dogpiled them and we were gonna get lynched, but in response to Mord doing it playfully to pressure willie_dee to contribute to the discussion? It's weird, especially since at the time Mord was leading in votes.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

This is a good argument. My vote is currently on b-minus1 but I'm not unwilling to change it. I want to hear willie_dee's response. I'd also like to know exactly why they'd toss out a "retaliation vote." I could understand if we had all gone "Yeah Mord's right" and dogpiled them and we were gonna get lynched, but in response to Mord doing it playfully to pressure willie_dee to contribute to the discussion? It's weird, especially since at the time Mord was leading in votes.

I meant to say "and they were gonna get lynched" we doesn't even make sense there.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I still don't like the way chaoslord and Atomic Soda conveniently threw shade on me in quick succession. It feels like trying to steer the conversation.

At this point, I'm willing to believe Lumpen's and Xad's claims. I have a dumb flavour theory about why those two roles would be town, and if it's true, one of them will likely die tonight.

No reason not to believe them since they effectively claimed nothing until we have info suggesting flavor matters. I think they're town since this gambit could quickly turn on them and Lumpen may be rude as hell but he ain't dumb.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Xad posted:

Uh, no? I didn't say I wholly agreed with asiina. I agreed that I didn't know what 50s posts were about. I also disagree with asiina that mord's actions are scummy, and that makes me a bit suspicious of her.

I didn't like how you basically goaded Mord into claiming, which he did not have to do, especially this early in the game. That seemed scummy to me. It doesn't matter if he made the decision later himself, you still suggested that he should do it first.

I feel like I addressed that point later, which was made before Mord's claim:

You seem to imply I meant right this second. Then go on to say that’ll you’ll do it as you feel more pressure. So was it actually a bad post if you say not yet?

Anyway, we’re sort of at a stand still as we don’t have any other information to go on

Anyway, I feel like we're splitting hairs at this juncture. You are more than free to put me on the suspicion list but if that's the most you've got on me; then that's a fairly flimsy case

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Crazyeyes posted:

Lumpen never stops being a dick. He thinks it's part of his charm.

i enjoyed watching his town play in the westworld game, even though his reads were incredibly wrong at times. and his style seems to be exactly the same in this game, which makes me think he's town. (i'm not going to get into the android stuff because i dont understand it). i just happen to be on the receiving game of his tunneling.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Oh poo poo, I like this newfound gumption

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

This post.

What

the

gently caress

is this post

I deffo understand the frustration, but knowing that they're new I think it's just someone not knowing that you can replace out of a game, and going along with what a few other posters have said about "meltdowns = scum" (which isn't true, KB and I are proof of that) it's definitely easy to get really frustrated at mafia, but it doesn't say anything about the player's alignment. I don't think it's scummy, just new-y.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
For the record I will not vote for the following people under any circumstances today: I R SMART LIKE ROCK, Rhjamiz, willie_dee, IcePhoenix.

The first two it's their first game. IcePhoenix I thought had played more, but I was confusing that with knowing him from Survivor. He's played in two games before and the last one was 3 years ago (and his first one was the first game I ever modded :3:) willie hasn't played in 6 years and so I'm also giving a new person pass. I will no lynch before I vote for any of these people on D1. I will die on this hill.

Also I feel bad about this because I want to be nice to Jeabus but also this is mafia and we go for the throat, but the fact that his top three reads are all people who voted for him and his reasons seem to be entirely based on the fact that they voted for him is not a good look.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

b-minus1 posted:

I'm completely new to mafia entirely, so I'm trying to base my personal opinion of your playstyle on no meta case from you or other players. I suspect you in part because I find it hard to believe you are scumhunting with sincerity in this game, and "you absolutely will not get paragraph style posts from me" is not really the issue- I don't have a problem with the length of your posts but the fact that I don't find your reasoning satisfying or particularly effort. I'm trying to play this game on its merits as my first game without running through people's post histories outside of this thread or trying to look up threads for past games myself. If someone makes a meta argument and provides specific evidence within this thread, of course I will consider it, but my judgment is based on what I've observed here. I don't know what your playstyle in other games is like.

Part of what I used to support my claim is that Monathin is a player I think is likely town, and they have argued against you. While their claim touches on the meta, because I believe they are town I am choosing to accept that they are arguing in good faith and being truthful in their expressions. If later evidence causes me to rethink this, I will at that time, but right now that is not the case. Since I have a finite amount of time and we need a majority vote, I think you are the player who at this time is hardest for me to believe, and that is why I have voted for you.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Asiina posted:

Also I feel bad about this because I want to be nice to Jeabus but also this is mafia and we go for the throat, but the fact that his top three reads are all people who voted for him and his reasons seem to be entirely based on the fact that they voted for him is not a good look.

Told you I was poo poo at scumhunting

It's what made things even more frustrating as the only people I had any sort of scumreads on would immediately get me called out as OMGUS.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

I feel like I addressed that point later, which was made before Mord's claim:

Anyway, I feel like we're splitting hairs at this juncture. You are more than free to put me on the suspicion list but if that's the most you've got on me; then that's a fairly flimsy case

Yeah fair enough, I think it's the only scummy thing you've really done so far, not really worth a vote today or anything, you've been explaining yourself and such

I think I know what Jeabus' "flavor theory" is re: me and Lumpen being 14/15, thought of something last night that vaguely worried me about claiming since we haven't seen 13, and like Cell (who absorbs 17 and 18 to get stronger), 13 absorbs the two androids he appears with (14 and 15) :ohdear:

At this point, I feel pretty good about GeneX, Mona and Lumpen being town, and I reaaally don't like bee movie's responses to being prodded throughout basically the entire day. He's being weirdly flippant and not helpful to town

##vote bee movie

Other thing I have noticed: flerp might be scum with tobbs because he isn't trying to get tobbs murdered.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

I'm completely new to mafia entirely, so I'm trying to base my personal opinion of your playstyle on no meta case from you or other players. I suspect you in part because I find it hard to believe you are scumhunting with sincerity in this game, and "you absolutely will not get paragraph style posts from me" is not really the issue- I don't have a problem with the length of your posts but the fact that I don't find your reasoning satisfying or particularly effort. I'm trying to play this game on its merits as my first game without running through people's post histories outside of this thread or trying to look up threads for past games myself. If someone makes a meta argument and provides specific evidence within this thread, of course I will consider it, but my judgment is based on what I've observed here. I don't know what your playstyle in other games is like.

Part of what I used to support my claim is that Monathin is a player I think is likely town, and they have argued against you. While their claim touches on the meta, because I believe they are town I am choosing to accept that they are arguing in good faith and being truthful in their expressions. If later evidence causes me to rethink this, I will at that time, but right now that is not the case. Since I have a finite amount of time and we need a majority vote, I think you are the player who at this time is hardest for me to believe, and that is why I have voted for you.

To add to this, I'm not sure if Monathin's meta case is -right-, and I don't know if it's even relevant since players should be aware enough of their own meta to use that, I just think they're arguing in good faith, so if I have to go with someone, I'd rather side with someone I think is not scum.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

b-minus1 posted:

yeah ive been keeping an eye on big willie style, and his posts definitely have a scummy vibe to them. what are your thoughts on rhjamiz or gtg?

Nothing jumps out at me in regards to grotto, and there's only a couple of nitpicks about Rhjamiz that I noticed

Rhjamiz posted:

Hello I am here now, taking time out of my busy day petting animals professionally.

Lynching Lumpen sure seems like the strategically smart decision, assuming there is a Cell out there. Are converter roles common in SA games?

This post sticks out to me for reasons inescapable to me. Maybe it's the words "strategically smart decision"

Rhjamiz posted:

I still believe Mord to be the best scum candidate at present and will not change my vote unless a better candidate appears.

"I will not change my vote (unless I change my vote)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Told you I was poo poo at scumhunting

It's what made things even more frustrating as the only people I had any sort of scumreads on would immediately get me called out as OMGUS.

Don't say you're bad, just revel in your badness until you get good or have a stroke from rage.

• Locked thread