Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Considering how a nomu is created, I think the better term is put it out of its misery.

he doesn't know that tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Deku coming off a little unstable here.

Kild posted:

A Nomu just looks moderately weird and scary by the standards of the MHA world. Remember, this is a place where dude who is centipedes is a hero. Just up and burning one to death without really seeing what it is kiiind of hosed up. Heroes are basically meant to be police, not Judge Dredd.

Slime fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 26, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

all might beat up that first nomu and they found it was brain dead or something didn't they

you'd think that would be information they'd share

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Endeavor is the #1 hero and has saved thousands, probably tens of thousands, of lives. I support him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Endeavor will probably be targeted by the VA at some point since he's technically the #1 hero. So I figure he's eventually either going to die or get depowered.

Slime posted:

This implies that Deku was ever stable to begin with, which is debatable.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 26, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kild posted:

All Might beat and captured a similar chimera monster and the Hero Association studied it and it's a safe bet they at least shared this with the top heroes, if not heroes in general since the people using them were still at large and eager to cause violence.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think Endeavor changing as a person and trying to be less of a shithead and more of a hero people can be proud of is good. I also don't think he should be forgiven by Shoto. Like you can have both, but Japanese face-saving poo poo combined with how WSJ stories are written usually doesn't lend to a lot of complexity in this issue.

The best thing to do would be to have Endeavor change into a better hero, have Shoto acknowledge this change openly, but then make it clear that because of how disgustingly abusive and hosed up he was to Shoto and his mother that there's going to be a part of Shoto's heart that's closed to him forever and that he's going to have to accept that. Having him die facing a product of his abuse (like if Dabi turned out to be some failed Todoroki experiment) would be appropriate but Horikoshi really doesn't seem to be going for that kind of darker tone overall.

In other news, I guess someone translated some of the movie-related media and there's some interesting bulletpoints:

-The setting is a floating manmade island from overseas (presumably America) ran by someone powerful?
-The blonde girl is the daughter of that person and is named Melissa.
-Melissa is quirkless and forms a bond with Midoriya.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

he straight up murdered that nomu by burning it to death.

No he did not. That Nomu is shown to be alive and captured later on. He Disabled it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

all might beat up that first nomu and they found it was brain dead or something didn't they

you'd think that would be information they'd share

He just knocked it flying and the police picked it up later. He didn't beat it braindead, I think it just kinda...stopped doing things because nobody was commanding it anymore.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

No like after they imprisoned the Nomu and were taking a closer look at it, it was found to be braindead. I'm pretty sure the conclusion was something along the lines of: forced possession of 2 quirks -> body/mind overloads -> braindead. Like having 2 devil fruits in one piece (except we actually see what happens instead of hearing second-hand).

Presumably if they know that the Nomus are a product of experimentation, and the introduction of multiple quirks causes the person to go effectively braindead, this information would be shared with pro heroes. They would then focus on neutralization over capture in situations where Nomus are threatening civilians.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nephthys posted:

I mean, Shoto isn't a real person so it's not up to him to do anything. Personally I think Horikoshi is walking a real fine line with the recent attempts at making Endevour not such a shithead. He's a thousand times worse than Bakugo ever was and I know that for me any attempt at redeeming him or having Shoto or his mom forgive him will fall flat. I think it's a pretty disgusting message to try and push and no I don't see why it matters at all that he was 'only' terrible in flashbacks. He's the worst character in the series and should be treated like it.

I joked a few pages ago about Dabi being revealed as his son and then killing him but I do genuinely think thats the best thing that could happen to the character. Writing a character as an absolutely despicable, abusive scumbag and then just having him say sorry and it all be forgiven is frankly offensive writing. Don't be Naruto.

I'm not really big into stories where "guy does horrible things, is killed/tortured horribly in an ironic way to satisfy the distaste of the audience".

I'm well aware that Shoto isn't a real person, but treating it like a real life situation, it's possible for a family-abusing rear end in a top hat to come to terms with his family and be forgiven if that's what all parties involved want, even it happens vanishingly rarely because: 1. it requires actual contrition and a serious commitment to change on the part of the abuser(which typically doesn't happen when someone is an abuser to begin with) and 2. it requires a deep desire to forgive and reconnect from the victims. If Shoto was a person, it would be well within his right to hate Endeavor until the day he dies, but it's also well within his right to decide if Endeavor has earned forgiveness and redemption because he's the victim. If Horikoshi decides he wants to write a scenario where Endeavor makes an honest attempt to better himself as a person and earn the forgiveness of his family, I don't think it's inherently disgusting or wrong or offensive, provided it's not given to him for free. Things like him asking permission to visit his wife in the hospital(he could go any time he wants without it but him having permission from her is important), asking to spend time with Shoto in ways that don't revolve around turning him into a supersoldier, actually apologizing for what he did, etc. are all steps in this direction that I could swallow without it being "offensive".

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

In other news, I guess someone translated some of the movie-related media and there's some interesting bulletpoints:

-The setting is a floating manmade island from overseas (presumably America) ran by someone powerful?
-The blonde girl is the daughter of that person and is named Melissa.
-Melissa is quirkless and forms a bond with Midoriya.

Aww yeah, movie only love interest.

I wonder if the young looking All Might we saw on the poster is actually the guy running the island and is just a huge All Might fanboy who models himself after the hero.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rhonne posted:

Aww yeah, movie only love interest.

I wonder if the young looking All Might we saw on the poster is actually the guy running the island and is just a huge All Might fanboy who models himself after the hero.
Or the throwaway enemies are All Might bots modeled after him in his prime.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

very cool to me that people support Gentle's right to self-determination against the oppressive government forces and market regulation (Deku)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

EmmyOk posted:

very cool to me that people support Gentle's right to self-determination against the oppressive government forces and market regulation (Deku)

Gentle's still pretty cool in my book, but if his actions make Eri cry, I unfortunately will never be able to forgive him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gentle owns and is great and this chapter was loads of fun but Deku was absolutely right to go after him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Or the throwaway enemies are All Might bots modeled after him in his prime.

The movie starts with Deku fanboying over how authentic they are and ends with him crying as he's forced to destroy them while the real All Might awkwardly looks on.

I wonder if the movie will take place before or after All Might's retirement.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rhonne posted:

The movie starts with Deku fanboying over how authentic they are and ends with him crying as he's forced to destroy them while the real All Might awkwardly looks on.

I wonder if the movie will take place before or after All Might's retirement.
Purportedly it takes place between season 2 and 3, basically happening before they go to the lodge.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Purportedly it takes place between season 2 and 3, basically happening before they go to the lodge.

I hope Deku gets a pet dragon that shows up in subsequent movies and 2 second establishing shots in the show.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Slime posted:

He just knocked it flying and the police picked it up later. He didn't beat it braindead, I think it just kinda...stopped doing things because nobody was commanding it anymore.

I didn't mean to imply that it was like that because all might punched it really hard. what I was saying is that other heroes would likely know that the nomu's are just weird monsters because they'd already had the first one checked out

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

I'm not really big into stories where "guy does horrible things, is killed/tortured horribly in an ironic way to satisfy the distaste of the audience".

I'm well aware that Shoto isn't a real person, but treating it like a real life situation, it's possible for a family-abusing rear end in a top hat to come to terms with his family and be forgiven if that's what all parties involved want, even it happens vanishingly rarely because: 1. it requires actual contrition and a serious commitment to change on the part of the abuser(which typically doesn't happen when someone is an abuser to begin with) and 2. it requires a deep desire to forgive and reconnect from the victims. If Shoto was a person, it would be well within his right to hate Endeavor until the day he dies, but it's also well within his right to decide if Endeavor has earned forgiveness and redemption because he's the victim. If Horikoshi decides he wants to write a scenario where Endeavor makes an honest attempt to better himself as a person and earn the forgiveness of his family, I don't think it's inherently disgusting or wrong or offensive, provided it's not given to him for free. Things like him asking permission to visit his wife in the hospital(he could go any time he wants without it but him having permission from her is important), asking to spend time with Shoto in ways that don't revolve around turning him into a supersoldier, actually apologizing for what he did, etc. are all steps in this direction that I could swallow without it being "offensive".

I don't even particularly care about satisfying my distaste for him, I simply don't want him to get a cheap redemption or for him to be validated in any way. I also think that its very likely he will die regardless both to ratchet up the stakes by having the No 1* Hero get killed by the VA and to serve as conflict for Shoto. He'll probably go out as a 'Hero' anyway and it'll be played as tragic more than vindictive.

As to the rest I can simply say that I disagree. For one thing its a shounen series and Endeavour isn't a main character, so I highly doubt there'd be an appropriate level of exploration of the topic to justify such an arc. And I wouldn't want an appropriate level anyway since it would distract from the actually good stuff. And yeah I just don't feel comfortable with the series portraying someone this vile turning it around like that. As I said, this is a really sensitive subject and Horikoshi writing the kind of scenario you describe would piss me off. I wouldn't believe it and it isn't what I want to see from this series anyway.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I think that's kind of unfair to the characters - and even the writer. Bakugo was a massive poo poo when he first appeared. And he's been routinely humbled since, justly. He's also very much a product of his environment where he was raised by the system he was in, and celebrated by the people around him as the best. As far as we know, he's never been punished for his attitude and actions towards other students like Deku either considering how even the teacher got in on that poo poo. Remember, they're still kids at that point. If we were shown him continually being rewarded for his attitude and behavior post-UA then yeah, that'd be a problem. But we haven't. Every step of the way he's been told that as powerful as his quirk is, he's loving up on every other front and his ego monster poo poo didn't fly in front of teachers that took their job seriously.

I think that it's also far easier to "redeem" someone who is a bully as a child/young teen, because people become normal in real life after doing that sort of thing all the time. Being a bad person as an adult is far less excusable.

By the way, I agree with the person who mentioned Vigilantes being surprisingly good. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the fact that it's been both good and good in a way that is very distinct from the "main" series. I actually kinda like its protagonist more than Deku. Its plot is also potentially more interesting at this point. The main thing MHA has over Vigilantes is significantly higher art quality and a more varied cast with better character designs. The characters are also more "memorable" in MHA even if I happen to like the Vigilantes protagonist more than Deku as a person.

Rhonne posted:

I don't think he'll ask Deku's forgiveness but Deku would totally forgive him if he did.

I wouldn't be surprised if he admits he used to be an rear end in a top hat at some point. He's already at the point where he never really does anything outright lovely in a way that doesn't just make other characters go "lol Bakugou needs to chill out," and he's already accepted Deku as someone he doesn't look down on (and he hasn't replaced Deku with one of the other weaker members in their class, which implies that his issues with Deku stem from their history rather than him just having an ongoing desire to pick on weaker people).

edit: Granted, this is kind of distinct from "asking forgiveness." I agree Bakugou is highly unlikely to actually request forgiveness or feel like he needs it, but I think there's a decent chance he'll at least acknowledge past mistakes.

Nephthys posted:

I joked a few pages ago about Dabi being revealed as his son and then killing him but I do genuinely think thats the best thing that could happen to the character. Writing a character as an absolutely despicable, abusive scumbag and then just having him say sorry and it all be forgiven is frankly offensive writing. Don't be Naruto.

The only remotely "tasteful" way to do a "redemption" arc for this sort of thing is to have the character realize they were wrong, improve, but not be forgiven (because their acts were fundamentally unforgivable). Like, have Endeavor acknowledge what he did and try to become a better person, but not have Shouto or his mother forgive him, because that would send the kind of hosed up message that doing so is "the right thing to do" in their position. Basically acknowledge that people can change, but their victims have no obligation to change their minds or forgive them.

Slime posted:

I agree but I'm not sure if we're supposed to interpret things that way. Stuff like him flashing back to the festival preparations make me think that the audience is supposed to be rooting for him, but then again we've also seen Gentle/La Brava acting afraid of him which is something you usually don't see from villains so who knows.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 27, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Gentle owns and is great and this chapter was loads of fun but Deku was absolutely right to go after him.

I hope Deku defeats the evil Gentle using the lessons he learned for his great teacher Ashido.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/177/page/1

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
That panel with Deku holding up the girder at the end is so good. So goooood.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Please tell me it's not a break next week.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Another great chapter, but now I'm really worried Deku is going to miss the performance. :ohdear:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I got some serious old-school Spider-man vibes from that last page.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That was a tribute Horikoshi was going to make eventually.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gentle did nothing wrong, legitimately and not even memeing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
If UA weren't on highest alert, Gentle wouldn't even be planning anything wrong. There'd be no risk of shutting down a cultural festival because of some goober who turns things rubber. So he's not doing, or planning to do, anything wrong, but it still puts Deku's plan of giving Eri her Best Day Ever and finally getting her to smile in peril. So I'm not against Gentle broadly, but in this instance I'm somewhat against him. I can't wait for Aoyama to jump in and help, and end up being a perfect counter to La Brava in some way.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean the larger issue is at this point that UA can't take another hit to its reputation. Gentle being able to get inside the school might as well be a death-knell.

Also I'm going to say that even if they weren't on alert trying to break into a school and bother a bunch of kids so you can get youtube hits is still a pretty lovely thing to do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they were also planning on shutting down the alarms and poo poo when they infiltrated which is, uuuuuuh, really really bad?

I don't think they have bad intentions but this is a bad, dumb plan that presents a lot of problems for the ua students

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gentle is a criminal who has committed many crimes in the past and Deku is right for trying to take him down even if there wasn't a school festival on the line.

Anyways, I can't wait to see La Brava's quirk. It's either going to be very silly or very dangerous. Or both.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The panel composition on that last page is phenomenal. Deku is so drat cool, man.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I can't help but feel this is trending towards Deku taking down Gentle with excessive force and seriously injuring/killing him (though that's probably too dark for this story) and La Brava posting the video which without context looks like an unlicensed hero using their quirk to police brutality a goofy and nondangerous "villain." Deku may save the festival but UA will get in trouble for the video and maybe him as well for unlicensed quirk use like we saw at the end of the Stain arc.

We're getting all the stuff about UA's reputational stakes and Eri's expectations for the festival to make sure we know Deku is morally justified in what he's doing, but the video will show none of that and paint Gentle as a victim. This is definitely something Hori has shown interest in exploring from Stain's viral following and Gentle & La Brava's whole schtick.

Whatever happens Nezu better not resign to save face.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Nonexistence posted:

I can't help but feel this is trending towards Deku taking down Gentle with excessive force and seriously injuring/killing him (though that's probably too dark for this story) and La Brava posting the video which without context looks like an unlicensed hero using their quirk to police brutality a goofy and nondangerous "villain." Deku may save the festival but UA will get in trouble for the video and maybe him as well for unlicensed quirk use like we saw at the end of the Stain arc.

We're getting all the stuff about UA's reputational stakes and Eri's expectations for the festival to make sure we know Deku is morally justified in what he's doing, but the video will show none of that and paint Gentle as a victim. This is definitely something Hori has shown interest in exploring from Stain's viral following and Gentle & La Brava's whole schtick.

Deku has a provisional license now, though, presumably allowing him to do things like this.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I could totally see La Brava making a bunch of smear campaign videos to get revenge on Deku for taking down Gentle.

It would be funny if she found out he used to be quirkless and starting making a million conspiracy videos about how he really got his quirk.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nonexistence posted:

I don't think it's going to be this and I really hope it's not because it would make this super light hearted arc crazy dark and that would be lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
especially coming fresh off the heels of deku going mega hero on overhaul