Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
hibernation is dumb and poo poo and eats up 12.5% of my ssd for something I never use and keeps turning itself on after every major update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Windows 10: Fighting over Bad Opinions

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Volguus posted:

While on the desktop I do have a larger SSD, throwing away 32GB or 64GB of them for something I would never use is dumb. Is even dumber to do the same thing on a portable where space is at a premium (they seem to price their lovely storage like printer companies price their ink). That they shaved off space form the initial installation is good, now you're taking all back by creating a hibernate file as big as the ram? Good on you microsoft. But they didn't do it because of the portables only, they recognized it as a problem after they released win7 as SSDs started to become more popular but were quite small (my first SSD was 80GB and I paid $200+ on it back almost a decade ago) and therefore they couldn't assume you will have the terabyte hdd as before.

At the end of the day, all that microsoft has to do is to provide options: Disable stupid portable crap for desktops, and Enable stupid portables crap. For those drunken monkeys that want portables features on a desktop ... knock yourselves out. Make the defaults sensible for the machine you're being installed on.

You have no understanding of systems you're complaining about. The default hibernation file size is proportional to the amount of RAM you have and it's less than the size of your RAM. Microsoft designs their hardware accordingly, using your Surface Pro example: there are no 8GB/128GB or 16GB/128GB models, the RAM always increases proportionally with the storage. If you have a Surface Pro you've been using hibernate already because it's configured to hibernate after sleeping for a few hours on battery power out of the box. Desktop hardware specs can vary more but I don't believe for a second you had a 64GB RAM system with a small 80GB SSD and no additional drives for storage in 2008, and if you somehow actually did that's entirely your fault because no OEM sells computers with that configuration as a default for a reason. That's so far out of line from standard specs that you're clearly a power user who can manage your own system and Microsoft has no reason to cater the defaults to you, you can go change them to what you feel is necessary instead.

Good to see you've walked back from "don't make any concessions for portables" to "okay just make it a toggle for desktops". Congratulations, the system settings have been configurable all this time. You're just mad that the defaults aren't perfect for your special snowflake use case.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

isndl posted:

You have no understanding of systems you're complaining about. The default hibernation file size is proportional to the amount of RAM you have and it's less than the size of your RAM. Microsoft designs their hardware accordingly, using your Surface Pro example: there are no 8GB/128GB or 16GB/128GB models, the RAM always increases proportionally with the storage. If you have a Surface Pro you've been using hibernate already because it's configured to hibernate after sleeping for a few hours on battery power out of the box. Desktop hardware specs can vary more but I don't believe for a second you had a 64GB RAM system with a small 80GB SSD and no additional drives for storage in 2008, and if you somehow actually did that's entirely your fault because no OEM sells computers with that configuration as a default for a reason. That's so far out of line from standard specs that you're clearly a power user who can manage your own system and Microsoft has no reason to cater the defaults to you, you can go change them to what you feel is necessary instead.

Good to see you've walked back from "don't make any concessions for portables" to "okay just make it a toggle for desktops". Congratulations, the system settings have been configurable all this time. You're just mad that the defaults aren't perfect for your special snowflake use case.

I never walked back on anything , it is still a dumb setting. It always was, it always will. But if you double down on it as being the best thing since sliced bread ... who am i to stand in your way to happiness? In 2008 or so I had that 80GB SSd and 12GB of ram (triple channel bullshit). No idea how common it was or how much of a special snowflake i am, but 12Gb on an 80GB SSD was significant. Hell, 8GB on a 128GB SSD is not something i'd wanna waste for something like this.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Geemer posted:

Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Windows 10: Fighting over Bad Opinions

This last week has been terrible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Volguus posted:

And that's exactly what I don't want. And it takes hdd space, where especially on portable devices is at a premium. For example the $1000 CAD Microsoft Surface Pro Core M 4GB 128GB has (as the name implies) 128GB SSD.

The hiberfile on my i7 Surface Pro with 8GB of RAM is 3.3GB. The 4GB won't be losing any real space.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
powercfg -h off is the first thing I do in every system I set up. Fight me but you'll lose.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've determined this is the thread for complaining about Microsoft, not for asking technical questions about Microsoft products.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

KillHour posted:

I've determined this is the thread for complaining about Microsoft, not for asking technical questions about Microsoft products.

Isn't that in every thread? They're so big that is inevitable that from the outside it looks like they only do stupid poo poo. The brilliance is often hidden in blogs like "the old new thing".

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

bobfather posted:

powercfg -h off is the first thing I do in every system I set up. Fight me but you'll lose.

I do that too, but that’s ‘cause I dual-boot(or even triple-boot) and hibernation on Win10 causes NTFS to go insane with errors when booting a different OS then going back to Win10.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

KillHour posted:

Also for complaining about Chrome and trying to pin it on Microsoft. Anything goes!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

xamphear posted:

This last week has been terrible.

Nuke and pave this thread.

E: oh, and disable hibernation right away.

E2: so we can truly, actually shut it down.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 23, 2018

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So I’m getting a bunch of weird rear end errors with windows update and google chrome doesn’t want to auto update either. I’ve already done Sfc and dism fixes, ran the windows update troubleshooter etc etc

Should I just nuke it and install fresh?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I’m getting a bunch of weird rear end errors with windows update and google chrome doesn’t want to auto update either. I’ve already done Sfc and dism fixes, ran the windows update troubleshooter etc etc

Ugh, these situations always suck. Even if you might be willing to invest the time, you can't know it's even going to work. Can you be more specific?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

1803 comes out in the next month if you want to wait and see if the upgrade install fixes it.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I fixed a really annoying problem with Windows Update over the weekend that sfc/dism/etc didn't fix that I eventually tracked back to SYSTEM losing permissions on some folders in %windir%

Your issue may be totally different, but worth a look.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to restore my old iPod Classic, and I'd like to make sure all my flac files have corresponding AIFF versions. How can I diff two directories recursively and ignore file extensions?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Anyone know how to get the Action Center and notifications to appear in both the primary and secondary display? I want to be able to see notifications and access the action center without having to alt-tab out of full screen and windowed full screen apps, but I can't find a solution.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
nm

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 26, 2018

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Jack the Lad posted:

I fixed a really annoying problem with Windows Update over the weekend that sfc/dism/etc didn't fix that I eventually tracked back to SYSTEM losing permissions on some folders in %windir%

Your issue may be totally different, but worth a look.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Ugh, these situations always suck. Even if you might be willing to invest the time, you can't know it's even going to work. Can you be more specific?

astral posted:

1803 comes out in the next month if you want to wait and see if the upgrade install fixes it.

I ended up saying gently caress it and reformatting both my drives and starting fresh because it seemed like whatever was causing trouble was deep rooted. How did you solve that permissions issue btw jack?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I installed Windows 10 Pro on a new system I built this week, and the option in the Windows 10 Mail app to sync my items "As they arrive" is gone. It's there on my previous computer, so...what's up with that? Using it with gmail.

E: Nevermind. I checked again and now it's there :tinfoil:

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 26, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I installed Windows 10 Pro on a new system I built this week, and the option in the Windows 10 Mail app to sync my items "As they arrive" is gone. It's there on my previous computer, so...what's up with that? Using it with gmail.

E: Nevermind. I checked again and now it's there :tinfoil:

Its odd, when you add accounts to Mail you have to let it 'sit' for a few minutes for the settings to kick in. Really annoying.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Bob NewSCART posted:

I ended up saying gently caress it and reformatting both my drives and starting fresh because it seemed like whatever was causing trouble was deep rooted. How did you solve that permissions issue btw jack?

I made a new admin account (not sure if that was necessary in the end), manually gave it full access to the files in the folder WU couldn't write to according to the error logs, deleted them, deleted and recreated the empty folder, then stepped back up and manually added SYSTEM back onto the parent folder.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just suddenly got a pop up out of nowhere urging me to log into the microsoft store. I manually deleted the store app months ago because I don't use it. Has anyone had this popup recently and know which app causes it to appear, so I can delete it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had that too and ~Microsoft~

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I just got that too but I was logged into it.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
So I'm doing a PC repair on a Dell from 2016. Main board is toast along with access to the OEM Win10 product key... Machine doesn't boot any way of course.

Called Dell and they won't give a replacement product key... and they no longer provide them on the machine (according to them this is MS's fault)...

TLDR; write down your built-in OEM product key while your prebuilt POS still works -_-

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Slayerjerman posted:

So I'm doing a PC repair on a Dell from 2016. Main board is toast along with access to the OEM Win10 product key... Machine doesn't boot any way of course.

Called Dell and they won't give a replacement product key... and they no longer provide them on the machine (according to them this is MS's fault)...

TLDR; write down your built-in OEM product key while your prebuilt POS still works -_-

Sounds like a simple case of 'escalate', but I'd agree with you that this isn't MS's fault.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It can't be extracted when the machine boots with a new motherboard?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

OEM product keys are kept on the motherboard, so when you boot with the new motherboard there will be no key on it to retrieve.

If you still have a working hard drive then Windows will boot up, match its activation hash against the key on the motherboard (which isn't there) and deactivate because you have no valid digital entitlement for that 'device'.

Normally what would happen is that during a warranty repair or a licensed repair the technician will replace the motherboard, boot off a USB device that enables them to insert the OEM key onto the BIOS then you're away laughing. Otherwise, the replacement of the motherboard is typically seen as a 'device change' for licensing purposes even if it's of the same model because its one of the edge cases of OEM licensing where the soft intent is that the license 'dies' after the computer becomes obsolete which when all this poo poo was decided was like slightly longer than a standard warranty.

Dell is technically correct in that it's Microsoft's "fault" for no longer providing product keys on stickers because people would just salvage keys from every machine going rather than buying new ones, so they pushed for the BIOS key as part of their licensing deals.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think the free windows 10 upgrade thing still works even though Microsoft said they were ending it. Do you have an old windows 7 key around?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It still works. I have upgraded a couple of pc's this year. Does it even require a valid key? I think it even works with windows which are not activated..

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It can't be extracted when the machine boots with a new motherboard?

You can actually desolder or unplug the BIOS chip and dump it using something like a Rasberry Pi, then search through the dump for the product key. Don't ask me how I know you can do that .. :(

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doesn't the windows installation know the key (ie it's on the hard disk somewhere)? Or does the local activation information not include that?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

Doesn't the windows installation know the key (ie it's on the hard disk somewhere)? Or does the local activation information not include that?

It knows the 'hardware hash' far as I can tell. MS tracks keys, so if one gets activated to a hardware hash, you cant reuse it. Thing is, I do not think the embedded BIOS key is ever directly activated against the hardware (on an OEM machine) unless you actually pull it and shove it into the product key dialog box. I could be wrong, but this has worked for some systems that had windows 8 embedded keys, then activating those keys with Windows 10 using the normal dialog boxes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

KillHour posted:

I think the free windows 10 upgrade thing still works even though Microsoft said they were ending it. Do you have an old windows 7 key around?

Even if it doesn’t, this thread told me last month to just buy a key off eBay. I got a Pro key for about $5.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Boris Galerkin posted:

Even if it doesn’t, this thread told me last month to just buy a key off eBay. I got a Pro key for about $5.

Same. If it ever stops working, OH gently caress $5.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
I got a free W10 pro key from my pirated copy of W7

Used it for like 3 reinstalls so far

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Any legit 7 key can be used to activate 10 once, on one hardware hash. The way around it if you care to gently caress around is activate 7 using whatever, then install 10 as an upgrade, it will activate with a hardware hash for that mobo. This means you can use the old trick of calling in windows 7 activation and saying it was loaded on one computer, etc, then install Win 10 as an upgrade, presto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
why has microsoft photos suddenly started crashing about 2 seconds after I run it, occasionally (2 times out of about 10) bluescreening my machine on the way
in 2018
what the gently caress