Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, but its likely a 5m so you can't make 2jznoshit jokes. But those 80s cressidas are getting more and more popular as lovely 4 door drift cars and general stance cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
When you sell a car, which importation documents do you sell with it?
The latest AZ-1 listing shows a CBP 7501. And then this M5 Touring sparked a debate about what was necessary for import and what was reasonable to present for sale:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-bmw-m5-longroof/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fermented Tinal posted:

That Toyota has an i6 under the hood, I am not making GBS threads you.

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah, but its likely a 5m so you can't make 2jznoshit jokes. But those 80s cressidas are getting more and more popular as lovely 4 door drift cars and general stance cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_G_engine

:eng101:

The chassis ID starts with a 'G' and Toyota always starts (or started, dunno what they do these days) with the engine. The 'F' in FJ40s stands for the Toyota F engine, same with the FJ70. If it's a BJ70 then it's the B engine. The Crusier I have is a PZ70 'cause it has the PZ engine in it.

kimbo305 posted:

When you sell a car, which importation documents do you sell with it?
The latest AZ-1 listing shows a CBP 7501. And then this M5 Touring sparked a debate about what was necessary for import and what was reasonable to present for sale:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-bmw-m5-longroof/

Form CBP 7501 is the critical one, full-stop.

This is the one that says yes, the federal government has said 'ok friendo' on whatever you are bringing into the country is legit. You can get state titles for lots of things but that never ever ever ever EVER overrides federal law. This entry form is the feds OK stamp on your car. It will have the chassis code on it (the "vin" in Japan) that ties it to the car.
I'd guess that the chances of the feds finding out and crushing your not-legit car are fairly low but will always be a risk and without the Dept. of Homeland security's blessing in the form of this Entry Summary a car without one will never be federally legal no matter how old and no matter how many state titles it has.

If someone is selling a non-USDM car without this entry summary then I would not even entertain the thought. Every single car I've imported comes will a whole stack of papers, including the Japanese export certificate (essentially a Japanese title, fancy paper with a paisley border and everything) but the entry summary is the critical bit.

That AZ-1 is at 12k too :toot:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 26, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
double post :argh:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Every once in a while Homeland security go on a hate boner world tour for illegally imported cars. No CBP 7501 no sale end of.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Form CBP 7501 is the critical one, full-stop.

If someone is selling a non-USDM car without this entry summary then I would not even entertain the thought. Every single car I've imported comes will a whole stack of papers, including the Japanese export certificate (essentially a Japanese title, fancy paper with a paisley border and everything) but the entry summary is the critical bit.
It really galls me that BaT doesn't have a clear policy asking for it. I understand that maybe their staff is not 100% knowledgeable. And that maybe they have a legal involvement that really doesn't let them get in any trouble.
But goddamn, you're routinely selling 100k+ cars and still don't explicitly forbid all these obvious <25yo gray imports? It's a bad look for the site's reputation.

quote:

That AZ-1 is at 12k too :toot:
That honestly makes me look past it on to a *looks around for CT* an Integrale. Does JCD work with non-Japanese marques?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

kimbo305 posted:

It really galls me that BaT doesn't have a clear policy asking for it. I understand that maybe their staff is not 100% knowledgeable. And that maybe they have a legal involvement that really doesn't let them get in any trouble.
But goddamn, you're routinely selling 100k+ cars and still don't explicitly forbid all these obvious <25yo gray imports? It's a bad look for the site's reputation.

That honestly makes me look past it on to a *looks around for CT* an Integrale. Does JCD work with non-Japanese marques?

They do yeah and there are a lot of Intergrales in Japan, pretty sure they've exported at least a couple.
The process would be the same way, still need that Entry Summary form.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I've seen a lot of auctions removed (well not a lot but I can recall a few) where it was obvious that was illegal as gently caress to have here and would stand a good chance of being seized and crushed, that were only removed because commenters called them out

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dude, quit being a tryhard, the goverment has better things to do than take your S15, its registered in florda anyway, so its legit, dont reply unless you know what ur talking about

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Dude, quit being a tryhard, the goverment has better things to do than take your S15, its registered in florda anyway, so its legit, dont reply unless you know what ur talking about

Conversely, why give the feds an excuse to shoot your dog?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KakerMix posted:

They do yeah and there are a lot of Intergrales in Japan, pretty sure they've exported at least a couple.
The process would be the same way, still need that Entry Summary form.

Cool. That or buy the one that Comrade Flynn won on BaT a while back.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Why not a renault 5 turbo instead?? http://auc.akebonocar.jp/on-K9Ghys5zDVNYb.htm Sure they don't list the price, but surely they couldn't want more than 20k for it riiiiiiiiiiiiiight????

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

I don't know about those east coast states, but Washington, Oregon, and California all hand process every international VIN registration. One of the requirements is the original 7501, HS-7, 3520-1 without them they wont even look at the rest of your paperwork. So I guess if you are looking at buying one from of these three states its fairly safe (not full proof) that they have been at least looked at by a customs officer (paperwork might still have been done wrong).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I don't know about those east coast states, but Washington, Oregon, and California all hand process every international VIN registration. One of the requirements is the original 7501, HS-7, 3520-1 without them they wont even look at the rest of your paperwork. So I guess if you are looking at buying one from of these three states its fairly safe (not full proof) that they have been at least looked at by a customs officer (paperwork might still have been done wrong).

They require those too, the HS-7 being the DOT form that spells out you are importing under the 25 year rule and 3520-1 which is the EPA exemption because what you are importing is over 21 years old. Don't know why it's 21 instead of 25 but it is.
It's just that the Dept. of Homeland Security's form is the 7501 one and those are the guys that run around crushing Land Rovers. Also once I pick up the car Florida doesn't give a poo poo about the DOT or EPA forms (although I do still have those) they only care about the 7501.

How people sneak them into Florida isn't on RoRo ships like normal imports, they sneak them in via cargo containers side-stepping the customs official's eyes since they don't even check 1% of all the cargo containers coming in. Once they are in you can talk to your buddy that privately-runs a DMV office (lmao Florida) to get you your title. This is why all the not-legal state-title idiots always are holding Florida titles, because the DMV can be privatized which allows in all sorts of corruption.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
poo poo, that explains a lot of stuff.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

The chassis ID starts with a 'G' and Toyota always starts (or started, dunno what they do these days) with the engine. The 'F' in FJ40s stands for the Toyota F engine, same with the FJ70. If it's a BJ70 then it's the B engine. The Crusier I have is a PZ70 'cause it has the PZ engine in it.

My FJ45 has a B engine in it. :toot:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

poo poo, that explains a lot of stuff.

Yes, I had always wondered why all the dark-grey-market Skylines I encountered came out of Florida. Thanks for that explanation.

phleb
Jul 23, 2007
awww damnit!
After reading through this thread I've definitely decided that my next project is going to be something imported, but probably not until way later this year. Thanks for all the super helpful information, ya'll. Likely a Crown, Mark II/Chaser/Cresta, Celsior, or some other neato sedan. I'm a Toyota nerd and have had an 88 Cressida and a 1980 Corolla wagon.

Rhyno posted:

I'm very curious to see what that Cressida goes for, especially with the added hype of the MCM build.

I've been keeping an eye on these and from what I've been able to see, most don't go over $2500.

And speaking of sketchy grey-market imports: Check out this Steagea

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, theres a few "importers" here in florida like black ops performance. Theres gonna be alotta r34s crushed when they get popped. Including some of the more rare ones.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 27, 2018

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

KakerMix posted:

They require those too, the HS-7 being the DOT form that spells out you are importing under the 25 year rule and 3520-1 which is the EPA exemption because what you are importing is over 21 years old. Don't know why it's 21 instead of 25 but it is.
It's just that the Dept. of Homeland Security's form is the 7501 one and those are the guys that run around crushing Land Rovers. Also once I pick up the car Florida doesn't give a poo poo about the DOT or EPA forms (although I do still have those) they only care about the 7501.

How people sneak them into Florida isn't on RoRo ships like normal imports, they sneak them in via cargo containers side-stepping the customs official's eyes since they don't even check 1% of all the cargo containers coming in. Once they are in you can talk to your buddy that privately-runs a DMV office (lmao Florida) to get you your title. This is why all the not-legal state-title idiots always are holding Florida titles, because the DMV can be privatized which allows in all sorts of corruption.

That's insane that Florida does not review them, WA has privately run DMV as well. But anything coming out of state (with federal compliant vin) gets put in a pot for random hand review. Anything with a non compliant VIN gets automatic hand review. Oregon is far more strict than WA, and CA is even worse.

Oregon is tough because you have to meet an emission requirement for anything newer than 1975 (for most metro areas in Oregon). Fortunately the Keis put out hardly any emissions, but I cant see how guys get their rx7's or skylines through (the limits are a flat number, no adjustment for year or displacement, and they are low).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

My FJ45 has a B engine in it. :toot:

this is an outrage :argh:

KakerMix posted:

A flawless looking Mark II Wagon (Cressida in the US). I don't have a sheet translation but it looks like they are mentioning its full backlog of maintenance records in the upper right there and I wouldn't be surprised if this is a 1 owner car. If a Crown is too big, go for this midsize :eng101:

Auction Sheet posted:

-23033- AT, AC, warranty booklet, one owner, inspection records (many), interior slightly dirty, left pillar painted, dashboard slightly bent and small cracks, electric mirrors not working, other dents scratches and paint waves

It IS a one owner car.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

That's insane that Florida does not review them, WA has privately run DMV as well. But anything coming out of state (with federal compliant vin) gets put in a pot for random hand review. Anything with a non compliant VIN gets automatic hand review. Oregon is far more strict than WA, and CA is even worse.

Oregon is tough because you have to meet an emission requirement for anything newer than 1975 (for most metro areas in Oregon). Fortunately the Keis put out hardly any emissions, but I cant see how guys get their rx7's or skylines through (the limits are a flat number, no adjustment for year or displacement, and they are low).

Not really insane, it's Florida. I like this place plenty but there is a reason why it has the reputation it does. No inspections of any kind, ever, in my part.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KakerMix posted:

They still do. It gets slightly confusing when you get several generations of motors in one chassis- a HDJ80 could either have the 12 valve 1HD-T motor or the 24 valve 1HD-FT motor, but they still do the same naming conventions- VDJ7x and VDJ200 both have the 1VD-FTV motors, except the 70’s have a lower rated single turbo version, the 100’s were either a UZJ100 or HDJ100 depending on whether it had the 2UZ-FE or 1HD-FTE motor, hiluxes are either KUN26 or GUN126, GGN or TGN16 depending on whether they have the 1KD diesel, the 1GD diesel, the 1GR V6 petrol or 2TR petrol engine

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Various cutie classics at auction at the moment. :allears:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Would take the Prelude & Starion combination.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

My dad had a ~73 Corona wagon, I'm surprised I haven't seen one in almost 20 years.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Chris Knight posted:

Would take the Prelude & Starion combination.

Both are super cool. That R31 Skyline is pretty cool as well, it is starting super low and would be interesting to see what it goes for since it will be running a FJ20E which is an almost straight swap for an RB25DET or RB26DETT if you are a masochist. Something more modern like a Barra would go in there as well.

SInce it is a 4 cylinder tho I would probably throw a nice rebuilt and tuned SR20DET into it.

Edit: Something to keep in mind about the 2000 RS is that it didn't come with AC but that auction has it listed so either it was an option, added later or it is not a 2000 RS and just has the stickers on it.

Edit 2: I so want to Ratrod this https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-4GQpjy30jwJYMn6.htm

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 28, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BigPaddy posted:

Both are super cool. That R31 Skyline is pretty cool as well, it is starting super low and would be interesting to see what it goes for since it will be running a FJ20E which is an almost straight swap for an RB25DET or RB26DETT if you are a masochist. Something more modern like a Barra would go in there as well.

SInce it is a 4 cylinder tho I would probably throw a nice rebuilt and tuned SR20DET into it.

Edit: Something to keep in mind about the 2000 RS is that it didn't come with AC but that auction has it listed so either it was an option, added later or it is not a 2000 RS and just has the stickers on it.

Edit 2: I so want to Ratrod this https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-4GQpjy30jwJYMn6.htm

I sometimes think about getting something like that too, there was a Cervo that kept cycling through the auctions that looked like that, just bleached with the surface rust ~patina~ that looked rad.

As far as deals though

:shepface:

"I'm going to buy this Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo"
*promptly parks it in a dark garage for 25 years*

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 28, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KakerMix posted:

I sometimes think about getting something like that too, there was a Cervo that kept cycling through the auctions that looked like that, just bleached with the surface rust ~patina~ that looked rad.

As far as deals though

:shepface:

There's a mighty boy that keeps popping up for ¥10,000 that no one ever bids on. I'm saving for a house and it's taking a lot of self control to not jump at it

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

Sadly, people do believe that, though. And it's not even like that's stopped them before, is it? Even with stuff that was 100% legal, remember that Land Rover clusterfuck that boiled down to "we don't actually know enough about these vehicles to be making this decision, but we're making it anyway"?

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Why not a renault 5 turbo instead?? http://auc.akebonocar.jp/on-K9Ghys5zDVNYb.htm Sure they don't list the price, but surely they couldn't want more than 20k for it riiiiiiiiiiiiiight????
:allears:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The worst part is that's basically a quote from the seller of a S15 on another site (Zilvia, iirc) not too long ago. :smith:

I'm not aware of the Land Rover fiasco, I'll have to read into that later.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 28, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm not aware of the Land Rover fiasco, I'll have to read into that later.
I'm referring to this:
https://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-seized-40-land-rovers-imported-to-the-u-s-1605985758
To make your searching easier.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

http://www.azjdmimports.com/inventory/1990-nissan-pao/

Need.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Paos are super cool :3:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I like those so much more than the Figaro. Never seen one in the States, though I've seen several Figgys.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Let me know when the Nissan Snail Car goes up on sale.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Had my two Land Cruisers and the Lite Ace delivered late last night, Cruisers arrived with dead batteries. Charged them overnight, this morning and afternoon, it's three batteries since the not-Prado is a 24 volt dual battery system. They both start and run perfectly now though. Prado feels like it had been sitting a while but she starts right up and is eager to drive, it's a lot peppier than I was expecting. The not-Prado with it's 3.4L 5 cyl PZ non-turbo diesel feels slower, like it could uproot some trees and move a house at a leisurely pace. Prado feels like a taut nimble little thing, quicker than my Rugger and way quicker than the not-Prado Cruiser. Since they are identical otherwise it's neat to compare them to each other.

Just call me Mr. White SUV.

We only cleaned up and messed with the Lite Ace today, we'll get to the Cruisers later. These pictures are as it came to us, we didn't pick up or clean anything. It was filthy, like they always are!

This thing owns and owns hard. It reminds me of our Acty van, just larger and with a hell of a lot more cool features. 5 speed manual, 3Y-U 4 cyl gasoline engine 4x4. Skylite roof, ice maker, dual air conditioners, rear heater, bad-rear end center swivel seat. The rear seats can fold up against the side walls but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. My wife has fallen in love with it and she demands we keep it. :shepspends:

It might suck royally in some way that we won't know until we start driving it daily but assuming nothing comes up this probably means now that we're going to sell the Crown (sorry Rhyno). Wife simply doesn't care too much about the Crown compared to the Lite Ace because the Lite Ace is quirky in all the right ways while also flatly being more practical for her needs. This also might mean I'll be selling the Rugger since that Hilux is a powerful truck to try to not keep. We'll see once it gets here but dang, I can't keep them all.

We're going to spend the weekend loving with both Cruisers but neither of them are going to be as interesting as the Lite Ace.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 30, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
SUVs are money, but vans are life. So jealous of your wide variety of weird beaters.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Let me know when the Nissan Snail Car goes up on sale.

We have a few S-Cargos (get it? GET IT?) up here. They're mostly used for promo stuff.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That van owns. I beg NO demand pics of it actually making ice I gotta see this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well now I have to know what the asking price on the Crown will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Good News! I have boarded the crazy train.

My brother and I bought a rural property up north (oh god please don't tell the guys in the Canada Debt Bubble Thread) and we needed a 4x4 that can navigate the dirt roads around there and fit his family. Being the good west coaster that I am, I of course suggested a Delica.

I just won this. 445k¥

Inspection revealed no faults of note. No tobacco smell which is nice. I got an automatic one since my brothers' wife can't drive standard.

I still haven't found a good Delica resource that exhaustively details all the differences between the limited editions and regular models, so I'm still not entirely sure what extras I get with an "Active World" other than neato graphics.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 30, 2018