Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Skwirl posted:

Culinary school? Also it's totally a living wage as long as you don't plan to live here that long.

No, because as I clearly wrote, it’s *not* a student visa.

Also, one of the conditions of a J-1 is that the person has to have health insurance - are restaurants paying for that? From reading this thread that seems unlikely. (WRT to wages, it’s not like that many postdocs are well-paid; I was on about $36k/yr living in San Diego, then $32k/yr in Kentucky. Thankfully that was two careers ago.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Liquid Communism posted:

Because exploiting the visa system is profitable. Same way the IT industry runs on using H-1B visas to recruit from overseas (primarily India) at wages below what a US graduate with loans to repay can afford to take for a salary.

We have a lot of people who work with us on H1-B visas. We literally can not find people who know what we need.

IBM doesn't actually train people outside of their support offices in India on the systems we use. We hired 3 of the level 3 support admins and one of the applications senior programmers away from IBM to work for us, all on H1-Bs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skwirl posted:

It’s totally a living wage as long as you don't plan to live that long.

Ftfy, thread title, etc

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

We have a lot of people who work with us on H1-B visas. We literally can not find people who know what we need.

IBM doesn't actually train people outside of their support offices in India on the systems we use. We hired 3 of the level 3 support admins and one of the applications senior programmers away from IBM to work for us, all on H1-Bs

did you get vendor locked in on ibm stuff or are you working on mainframes

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bob dobbs is dead posted:

did you get vendor locked in on ibm stuff or are you working on mainframes

Well I'm a mainframe security administrator, (RACF AND CA TSS) but we are a mostly IBM shop in general. Our Identity and Access management stuff is all ISIM and IGI.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well I'm a mainframe security administrator, (RACF AND CA TSS) but we are a mostly IBM shop in general. Our Identity and Access management stuff is all ISIM and IGI.

so you both got vendor locked on ibm and work on mainframes for olds

ibm had a weirdo spate of hugely ageist hiring so i randomly find young escapees over at startupland where i am who had a stint in ibm and were like, "lol death to ibm"

i hope you have a plan to get out of the job in <5 years. they've been spiralling for a long time and those kids' understanding was that this is the final spiral. they may be wrong

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

so you both got vendor locked on ibm and work on mainframes for olds

ibm had a weirdo spate of hugely ageist hiring so i randomly find young escapees over at startupland where i am who had a stint in ibm and were like, "lol death to ibm"

i hope you have a plan to get out of the job in <5 years. they've been spiralling for a long time and those kids' understanding was that this is the final spiral. they may be wrong

I think I'm okay. I have plans to extract max knowldege but I work for one of the top 5 world wide car manufacturers so our stuff isn't going anywhere any time soon.

If you are looking for some high end mainframe consultants I know some with 40+ years experience.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I want to be on your side here, but you can't use low pay as excuse for not doing your job, especially when that's the sort of behavior that traps you in poor wages instead of earning you raises.

Have you like, never heard of a strike or?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I think I'm okay. I have plans to extract max knowldege but I work for one of the top 5 world wide car manufacturers so our stuff isn't going anywhere any time soon.

If you are looking for some high end mainframe consultants I know some with 40+ years experience.

what the hell do car peeps do that requires a ca tss

anyhow i hope you learn how to security janitor normal computers sometime friend goon
mainframes are not long for the world

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

what the hell do car peeps do that requires a ca tss

anyhow i hope you learn how to security janitor normal computers sometime friend goon
mainframes are not long for the world

Hahahaha yeah I started as an AD admin. I have a few MCSEs. I'm good. I chose mainframe becuase of how rare a non 80 year old is in the field. Its also fascinating. So weird how it works. They offered me the training and support to get up to speed.

We have 4 mainframes worldwide. I'm the main sec admin for all of them. They aren't going anywhere until I die.

You would be surprised how much financial and bank data transfers a 50 billion dollar company does. All of it requires mainframe and encryption.

I'm amazed every day at what I get to put my hands on.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

From my understanding as someone with a foot in the IT world, mainframes are both hopelessly outdated and also not going anywhere until the last remaining programmers die off.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Democratic Pirate posted:

From my understanding as someone with a foot in the IT world, mainframes are both hopelessly outdated and also not going anywhere until the last remaining programmers die off.

They aren't as outdated as people think. There is still no other platform that can handle the number of transactions with the stability of zOS. It really is impressive. It also has the ability run virtual Unix boxes. (Kind of)

That being said JCL is hysterically clunky and the terminal (green screen) is amusing to work with. Most of my job is securing transactions, managing the pgp keys and ssl certs, and determining access requirements.

Working with the mainframe olds is fun as well. They call other IT people "Matel admins" because their servers are just little toys compared to the mainframe.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 26, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Democratic Pirate posted:

It's like a lot of ancient legacy stuff in that there are things they're used for that the companies who use them would have to lay out huge expenses to replace them with, if it is even possible given that the software running on them likely won't run on anything else. I've seen some seriously ugly stuff, like industrial machinery running on DOS 3.1 emulated in a Linux box because it won't take commands in any other way without a six to seven digit bill to replace controls hardware.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Catfishenfuego posted:

Have you like, never heard of a strike or?

Organizing a strike and not cleaning dirty tables as a server because you make minimum wage are miles apart, but thanks for dredging this argument back up from pages ago.

My whole argument sprang from Skwirl's post about "don't expect servers do perform basic functions of their job" post and every post since then in his defense since then has been walking it back and trying to claim it's about the larger issues regarding pay in the industry. The jumping back and forth between an individual's actions and the state of the industry to play whichever part of the argument suits you and ignoring the rest is stupid. I'm aware they're interconnected issues, but pretending the micro and macro can't examined individually is just another distraction from the fact that this whole argument started because someone claimed that if you don't like your pay, you shouldn't be expected to do the parts of your job you don't feel like doing and once everyone jumped in to defend that statement, they've been nothing but intentionally obtuse at every turn.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They aren't as outdated as people think. There is still no other platform that can handle the number of transactions with the stability of zOS. It really is impressive. It also has the ability run virtual Unix boxes. (Kind of)

That being said JCL is hysterically clunky and the terminal (green screen) is amusing to work with. Most of my job is securing transactions, managing the pgp keys and ssl certs, and determining access requirements.

Working with the mainframe olds is fun as well. They call other IT people "Matel admins" because their servers are just little toys compared to the mainframe.

Oh god, I'm having JCL flashbacks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Organizing a strike and not cleaning dirty tables as a server because you make minimum wage are miles apart, but thanks for dredging this argument back up from pages ago.

My whole argument sprang from Skwirl's post about "don't expect servers do perform basic functions of their job" post and every post since then in his defense since then has been walking it back and trying to claim it's about the larger issues regarding pay in the industry. The jumping back and forth between an individual's actions and the state of the industry to play whichever part of the argument suits you and ignoring the rest is stupid. I'm aware they're interconnected issues, but pretending the micro and macro can't examined individually is just another distraction from the fact that this whole argument started because someone claimed that if you don't like your pay, you shouldn't be expected to do the parts of your job you don't feel like doing and once everyone jumped in to defend that statement, they've been nothing but intentionally obtuse at every turn.

I wasn't saying servers shouldn't be expected to help clean tables, I was saying they don't enjoy it and inventing new, silly bits of side work like whatever is involved in making perfectly clear ice, would be incredibly annoying.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I wasn't saying servers shouldn't be expected to help clean tables, I was saying they don't enjoy it and inventing new, silly bits of side work like whatever is involved in making perfectly clear ice, would be incredibly annoying.

You said cleaning table and rolling silver was "pointless busy work" to the same degree as making perfectly clear ice, which was being presented as a better use of on-the-clock time than dicking around on facebook. Having silverware and a clean table is definitely more important than crystal clear ice, and working when your on the clock, even if it's piddly busy work, comes before wasting time on your phone. Your statement implied that those things weren't true if FOH isn't getting paid more than the legal state minimum. It may be lovely work and it may feel shittier when you're underpaid, but it isn't pointless or less important than phone time.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Uhhhhhh yeah. Every FOH person should know that silverware and cleaning tables comes before phone time.

The hell.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wraps can die in a fire.

Give me my phone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

You said cleaning table and rolling silver was "pointless busy work" to the same degree as making perfectly clear ice, which was being presented as a better use of on-the-clock time than dicking around on facebook. Having silverware and a clean table is definitely more important than crystal clear ice, and working when your on the clock, even if it's piddly busy work, comes before wasting time on your phone. Your statement implied that those things weren't true if FOH isn't getting paid more than the legal state minimum. It may be lovely work and it may feel shittier when you're underpaid, but it isn't pointless or less important than phone time.

Look if you're going to use my own words that I typed against me I don't see how we can ever come to consensus.

I phrased myself poorly, I was trying to say that restaurant work already contains a lot of tedious work their employees don't like, so managers shouldn't be inventing new forms of it just because they're paying some one the legal minimum they are required to pay them and that person has a minute of downtime and looked at their phone.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

drgitlin posted:

I need closure. Did the dishwasher unfuck themselves?

No, I worked with her and she is bat poo poo nuts. She's an older black woman who mutters to herself constantly - and I mean constantly - throughout the shift, and I could never really tell if she was talking to me, to herself, about me to herself, about other people, about nothing, whatever. When I got there all 3 sinks were completely full of random dishes in random order; she kept draining and refilling the sanitizer sink literally every 10 minutes, which drained half a container of sanitizer fluid over 3/4th of the shift she actually stayed. She left at 10(scheduled till 12) and left me to do all the really hard poo poo and close. I kept looking over and she'd be scrubbing the wall or some poo poo while there was poo poo loads of dishes to do still, and I was doing them. Eventually I got her to just put clean poo poo away while I cleaned everything because I simply couldn't trust her to do it. I told her again and again and again - 7 times in total - to stop draining the sanitizer. Every time she'd be like 'oh ok' and then 5 minutes later, she'd draining it again for no reason. For reference, I worked lunch today and didn't change my sanitizer a single time because it doesn't get dirty if you don't put dirty dishes in it. you loving clean ugly poo poo off in the slop sink, use the soap sink for what you gotta use it for, and when that poo poo looks immaculate, you put it in the sanitizer, let it dry, put it away. But she wasn't even getting the water dirty, she'd just randomly and without any rhyme or reason change the water. She didn't change it right, either. She'd fill it up 1/4th what it should be. I kept trying to do it right when she'd needlessly change it, but the second I'd walk away from the sink she'd walk by, turn off the sanitizer as it was filling, and then walk off to do something else and I'd turn around and realize it was off. Again, couldn't get her to stop doing this.

She's seriously so loving annoying, impossible to have a conversation with because she just didn't seem to speak english very well(no, she doesn't speak any other language).

Please god fire this woman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's a decent chance she'll randomly just not show up to work ever again in the near future.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

empty whippet box posted:

(absolute insanity)

Please god fire this woman.

:stare: We only have a dedicated dish guy on weekends (rest of the week it's, "you dirtied it, you wash it"), and he's what we old folks from the pre PC/SJW, pre Tumblr era would call "sweetly retarded". And my guy would do a better job than that. Where do you live that you cant even find vaguely competent dish help?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:stare: We only have a dedicated dish guy on weekends (rest of the week it's, "you dirtied it, you wash it"), and he's what we old folks from the pre PC/sjw,, pre Tumblr era would call "sweetly retarded". And my guy would do a better job than that. Where do you live that you cant even find vaguely competent dish help?

It's shockingly hard to find good dishwashers since the pay is poo poo and it's also a horrible job.

Shockingly is probably the wrong word given the rest of the sentence.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We have a dedicated dishwasher/busser on the weekends, but usually we're a "you bus the tables" as a server. Everyone's job to do dishes.

Unless you're this one guy, who does none of them. Zero. Except what he has to do.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
pay dishwashers more and you suddenly won't have a problem filling that position

of course the truth is that businesses don't actually want the best employees overall, they want the cheap ones they can abuse

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JawKnee posted:

pay dishwashers all employees more and you suddenly won't have a problem filling that position

We just had someone quit before their first week over the pay being too low :thunk:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

iospace posted:

We just had someone quit before their first week over the pay being too low :thunk:

sounds like you just need to work harder

--your boss

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JawKnee posted:

pay dishwashers more and you suddenly won't have a problem filling that position

of course the truth is that businesses don't actually want the best employees overall, they want the cheap ones they can abuse

it was a nasty revelation to young me that a lot of people in the industry don't see your uncomplaining hard work as a virtue, just as something to take for granted until they get annoyed that you might no longer provide when you finally ask for something

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:stare: We only have a dedicated dish guy on weekends (rest of the week it's, "you dirtied it, you wash it"), and he's what we old folks from the pre PC/SJW, pre Tumblr era would call "sweetly retarded". And my guy would do a better job than that. Where do you live that you cant even find vaguely competent dish help?

Hattiesburg, MS. I live like almost right next door to the Fuzzy's Taco Shop I work at and I like working there a lot but I get paid 8 an hour and that sucks. I don't find doing dishes to be as oppressive as everyone else seems to, but it is extremely high volume. I have a hard time seeing them attracting any more people willing to bust their asses like I do to do this job, but hey, minimum wage is 7.25 down here.

We absolutely have to have a dedicated dish guy on from 9-3 and 5-12. And if it's not someone with some experience doing dishes at that Fuzzy's, it will still be insanely miserable because people constantly need things done on the fly, and you also have to organize poo poo so that you're keeping the front stocked with silverware, both sides of the line are stocked with all types of plates and bowls, and prep has all their tools that they need currently. If massive mountains of dishes and bus tubs pile up on you then you are hosed and everything will be a disaster and someone will have to come back and help you etc etc. I am the only dishwasher that can handle shifts alone so far. Some shifts they have 3.

How someone can think that it's OK to hire high schoolers or have mediocre people doing a job like that, or think that that position deserves less pay than anyone else, is just beyond me. I do more work than anybody else in the restaurant and I'm pretty sure I get paid the least. Oh well. That's restaurant owners for you I guess.

And lol forever at anyone working the line who thinks I couldn't do their job. I think the line is the easiest job in the restaurant, but that's because I barely even consider expo to be a real job in the first place

Also worth noting that I have lost almost 30 pounds since we opened(about 4.5 weeks ago).

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it was a nasty revelation to young me that a lot of people in the industry don't see your uncomplaining hard work as a virtue, just as something to take for granted until they get annoyed that you might no longer provide when you finally ask for something

I have some hope that when shift leader positions come available, I'll be one of the ones considered. This is a reasonable assumption, I think, because the owners love me and tell me so constantly. I'm one of I think 2-3 people still getting overtime at this point and people show their appreciation for how well I do my job literally every day. However, I also came into this aware that it may be where I stay, without a pay raise, ever. That's OK, while I'd be happy to just work here for a while if they gave me a job paying 12-13 an hour, I'm also finishing my doctorate(writing my dissertation) in music so, like, if I really get tired of this type of work then I have things I can go do. I actually find washing dishes to be less oppressive than trying to make a living as a classical clarinetist. It pays more, too.

I expect to be at this place for a little while, and I'm cool with being a dishwasher at 8 an hour the whole time if that's what happens. Especially if people stay appreciative as they've been, it really makes it easier just to feel appreciated.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 27, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

I have some hope that when shift leader positions come available, I'll be one of the ones considered. This is a reasonable assumption, I think, because the owners love me and tell me so constantly. I'm one of I think 2-3 people still getting overtime at this point and people show their appreciation for how well I do my job literally every day. However, I also came into this aware that it may be where I stay, without a pay raise, ever. That's OK, while I'd be happy to just work here for a while if they gave me a job paying 12-13 an hour, I'm also finishing my doctorate(writing my dissertation) in music so, like, if I really get tired of this type of work then I have things I can go do. I actually find washing dishes to be less oppressive than trying to make a living as a classical clarinetist. It pays more, too.

I expect to be at this place for a little while, and I'm cool with being a dishwasher at 8 an hour the whole time if that's what happens. Especially if people stay appreciative as they've been, it really makes it easier just to feel appreciated.

i don't want to burst your bubble, especially when i don't know your exact circumstances, but getting promoted to shift lead may be infinitely worse then just working a steady dish pit shift. i kind of roll my eyes at the more culinary mind posters in this thread who post about how it's about the passion and the food, but honestly if you really are as hard working and contentious as you post, there are a ton of industries where you can make as good or better money for less work and with less substance abuse, criminality, destruction of your own body and just general degradation. you're not even collecting those sweet tips a waiter or bartender have the potential to get

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hahahaha yeah I started as an AD admin. I have a few MCSEs. I'm good. I chose mainframe becuase of how rare a non 80 year old is in the field. Its also fascinating. So weird how it works. They offered me the training and support to get up to speed.

We have 4 mainframes worldwide. I'm the main sec admin for all of them. They aren't going anywhere until I die.

You would be surprised how much financial and bank data transfers a 50 billion dollar company does. All of it requires mainframe and encryption.

I'm amazed every day at what I get to put my hands on.

hey you don't know of any financial firms wanting to groom an admin for one of these things do you?

The Maestro posted:

That’s a cute story and all, but there are at least three things wrong with that wine key if you are a service professional. I know I disagree with you on pretty much everything, but I swear I’m not just being contrarian here. I would make so much fun of a server or bartender if they brought one of those to work.

A fold out knife is infinitely more useful than a stupid foil cutter.

You have to open it up to get to the bottle opener? Pass.

Only a single lever cork remover? No thanks.

Seriously spend the extra $20 and get a Coutale Sommelier Pocket. Pocket By Coutale Sommelier - The French Patented Spring-Loaded Double Lever Waiters Corkscrew and Wine Bottle Opener (Rosewood) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EP26NAK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ET.RAbQY66BZV

naw I don't disagree, those are good points. I don't open wine bottles for a living, and I also am not lovely enough at opening bottles of old wine to break a cork with a single lever, so none of that really occurred to me. the foil cutter is probably pretty gimmicky, and double levers are inherently better than single so I'll give you that.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't want to burst your bubble, especially when i don't know your exact circumstances, but getting promoted to shift lead may be infinitely worse then just working a steady dish pit shift. i kind of roll my eyes at the more culinary mind posters in this thread who post about how it's about the passion and the food, but honestly if you really are as hard working and contentious as you post, there are a ton of industries where you can make as good or better money for less work and with less substance abuse, criminality, destruction of your own body and just general degradation. you're not even collecting those sweet tips a waiter or bartender have the potential to get

yea but it's like right next door to me and I really like tex mex.

Honestly I know I could probably find a 'better job' but I'm kinda digging what I got going here for now. I like working in kitchens. I'll get tired of it if I don't advance, I'm sure. But for where I'm at right now(just trying to write this dissertation) it's nice. I don't know if I'll leave the restaurant industry when I either graduate or give up on the dissertation(both of which are equally likely tbh).

Also you may be seriously overestimating the opportunity available in Mississippi. If I want to use my degrees, I will have to move. Teaching in a public school in this state would simply not be worth it. Jobs that don't use my degrees - well, dishwasher at a tex mex place right next to my house is honestly the best I'm gonna get until I move to houston(which is what we're ultimately going to do). This state really, really blows.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Tezcatlipoca posted:

What you ignore is that most people don't have the luxury of choice. But you're too far up your own rear end to think about what most people actually have to struggle with. This isn't about opposition to enthusiasm, it's about opposition to your corporate motivational speak coming from a bougie rear end in a top hat who apparently has been overpaid his entire career. You are speaking from privilege to those without it and being a real oval office about it too.

I'm not really sure why you'd think I've been overpaid my whole career - I started as a dishwasher and worked mostly as a line cook. I don't know what privilege you are presuming - I had living parents who worked and fed me, taught me how to be a person. I feel pretty lucky to have gotten the support I did but my career is one I worked my way up slowly and put in a significant amount of time working for less money in exchange for more intensive training.

I don't really work for a corporation - I work for a restaurant within a hotel as a 3rd party operator. Our "group" is pretty small. Now the corporation that operates the hotel itself pays its line cooks 8 dollars more an hour than we do. But their cooks also get 20-25 hours a week during slow seasons, provides an f&b program that emphasizes efficiency over learning and techniques, and for the most part I see their cooks standing around looking bored. I might not be able to pay my cooks as much money but they do pretty well and get consistent hours. On top of that they get to learn trade skills like butchering, proper knife technique, and all elements of classic and modern cookery. We also encourage them to learn about food, history, ingredients, and all the nuts and bolts about how to operate a business. Later on when the cooks inevitably move on they will hopefully have a better skillset to do what they want in the industry, to choose better jobs. (Sometimes because they like the food better, or the commute is shorter, or yes, because of more money.)

I could organize the business so that cooks come in at 4PM, plate a bunch of food, go home at 11:30. I could probably pay them a higher hourly rate that way. I could pay them a higher rate if I bought cheap preportioned steaks and asked the seafod purveyors to clean and fillet all the fish. But allowing cooks the time and product to train properly and make mistakes is expensive. But teaching people proper cooking, proper table service, any of the skills that can be used to further their career ambitions, that is in my opinion a more valuable contribution to a person's life than just giving them a job they could leave or take.

I also make about the same amount of money as a busboy on a good week, and a barback on a decent week. I don't know what loving Scrooge McDuck vision you have of me and my glamorous working chef lifestyle, but trust me when I say my own hourly rate when factored against my working hours is pretty dismal. It's cool, though, because I don't need to buy a fancy car and I'd rather operate a sustainable, well-run eatery than whatever the gently caress you do with yourself.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's really not that loving hard...

PAY the dishwasher... He works his loving rear end off and we won't go through multiple people or people who don't show up.

Jesus Christ give him $12 an hour and call it a day.

The dishwasher we got now is good and reliable but can also be real rude.

Been plenty of times where I had to do a drop and go ( cause we don't have a bus person) to run and clean the table. And he screams at me and I say:

"Look bro I'm loving busy to, and these loving customers or what is paying the bills so get the gently caress over it."

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The other dishwashers(not all of them) where I'm at also get mad at people for bringing them dishes. It boggles my mind because dude that is your job. If they didn't bring you the dishes you'd have to go get them yourself. I thank people when they bring stuff to me because it legitimately makes my life easier.

According to that living wage chart, where I live (forrest county MS) a living wage for a single person is 11.23. If they gave me that I wouldn't complain about pay for quite a while. However, :lol: never gonna happen.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 27, 2018

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Crosspost from the OSHA thread.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I realize I'm filling this thread up with bullshit about dishwashing, but....

I was scheduled to be off today. One of the regular prep people had been bitching about not getting enough hours, so they gave her a 9-3 dishwashing shift today. I said to the owner, you know, she's not a regular dishwasher, you sure she'll be alright alone? So he went ahead and put me on 11-2 to make sure the rush was covered. When I got there, she switched back to prep. The owner comes over and says, no, actually, you're still on dishes, he's just here to help you out. At this point she realized: the only way she was getting more hours was by washing dishes.

So she quit.

Thanks for the hours, throw 'em on the overtime pile for the week(again).

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The other dishwashers(not all of them) where I'm at also get mad at people for bringing them dishes. It boggles my mind because dude that is your job. If they didn't bring you the dishes you'd have to go get them yourself. I thank people when they bring stuff to me because it legitimately makes my life easier.

Are they getting mad at people bringing them dishes, or stacking them with all the skills of a toddler?

I really hate it when servers put plates of the same size/shape beside each other, then build rickety towers of misshaped dishes I have to slowly disassemble else I drop everything on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mindphlux posted:

hey you don't know of any financial firms wanting to groom an admin for one of these things do you?

Nope. That doesn't happen. You get in as a Windows admin, you express interest in the mainframe to the old mainframe guys and they adopt you. Sooner or later they convince someone to move you over and learn because they are going to die soon.